Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had a bit of a barney with a neighbour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

As a child, if I told my dad that a neighbour had shouted at me I would have got in trouble for annoying the neighbours. I should probably go get some counselling.

Tell me about your relationship with your father.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

I think you overreacted and could have dealt with neighbour kids on your lawn in a much more measured and proportional way.

Thinking yelling at kids for being brats is overreacting is one of the reasons we've got so many overly sensitive cry baby adults nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tzardine wrote: »
    Tell me about your relationship with your father.

*sobs incoherently*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Specialun wrote: »
    No. the bike was in my lawn. How was i aggressive. I asked them to FO, they came back. When somebody comes to my door looking 4 a barney and having a go am i to offer them a box of butlers chocs and a spa weekend away

There is a middle ground between confrontation and surrender. Aggressive people don't usually see that, which is why I'd consider you to be aggressive.
    pablo128 wrote: »
    I live on a corner in an estate in Tallaght. We get hounded, if it's not kids coming in banging on the windows or staring in the windows, its some other knacker behaviour. We are here 7 years and still get it.

We managed to stop the ones who would stand outside and abuse my partner when she went outside, by finding where they lived and telling the parents, although like the OP, one of them came around first shouting the odds about 'abusing' his darling child. He fcuked off with his tail between his legs when he realised exactly what his angel was doing. We haven't seen his kid since either.

Then there was the Romanian kid who was terrorising the road with his cousin. Until he put a brick through my window. Then I went around to his house, marched straight in to the sitting room when the door opened, and went ballistic to his father, letting him know what I was going to do if he didn't pay for my window.

I had 90 euro the next day off him.

Sounds like your tactics aren't working too well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Next time he knocks in, answer the door with a cordless nail gun in your hand. If he raises his voice, shoot him in the foot. Then just say it went off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Do you have a canon.........for firing canon balls.....you will need some canon balls and some gun powder.........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If I had to shout at the kids here (and I have done once) the last person they'd tell would be their parents. The reaction of you're neighbour shows that doing anything else, such as going over and having a word, would have, at best, fell of deaf ears. Unless you swore at the kids or made it look like your were threatening violence you're completely within your rights to tell them to back off. Any parent who thinks otherwise needs to seriously look at how they're raising their kids and are you and them an annoyance to people around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

There is a middle ground between confrontation and surrender. Aggressive people don't usually see that, which is why I'd consider you to be aggressive.

Well neither do yours given the profession that you are in. We tried that route first.

Any suggestions rather than idle remarks?

Actually my tactics worked better than expected. The new window only cost 60 euro.

Well neither do yours given the profession that you are in. We tried that route first.

Any suggestions rather than idle remarks?

Yeah, don't be so aggressive and confrontational with your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Net curtains.

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yeah, don't be so aggressive and confrontational with your neighbours.

You don't live in a rough area, do you? You let things like that go, and you are seen as a soft touch and will be hounded day and night.

Don't get me wrong. I've no problem with a ball coming in the garden or nick nack or kids making noise. But when your family are being abused and your property attacked and the gardai can't or won't do anything, well in my book it's time to take matters into your own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

You must be on the wind up..so the 2nd time they came back what am i to do..ask them kindly again???

You don't live in a rough area, do you? You let things like that go, and you are seen as a soft touch and will be hounded day and night.

Don't get me wrong. I've no problem with a ball coming in the garden or nick nack or kids making noise. But when your family are being abused and your property attacked and the gardai can't or won't do anything, well in my book it's time to take matters into your own hands.

And in many cases that just escalates things.
    You must be on the wind up..so the 2nd time they came back what am i to do..ask them kindly again???

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good walls make good neighbours.

And in many cases that just escalates things.

Yes.

Haha. Yeah coz that clearly worked the first time.

Well to be fair OP you didn't even ask nicely once. You may have tried that at least once, as you've nowhere to go now. I'd still have shouted at the kids and I wouldn't have bothered going over but I do think once the neighbour is on the door step a middle road might have been worth trying. That said dunno if I'd have the presence of mind at that point, I'd probably bite back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Fart smell aerosol can:
    • Open window
    • Quick couple of sprays
    • Close window (very important)
    • Kids vanish
    • Smell clears after 15 minutes

Father calls round:
    • Tell him about your flatulence problem
    • Quick spray behind your back
    • Father clears off

Win, win all round.

Well to be fair OP you didn't even ask nicely once. You may have tried that at least once, as you've nowhere to go now. I'd still have shouted at the kids and I wouldn't have bothered going over but I do think once the neighbour is on the door step a middle road might have been worth trying. That said dunno if I'd have the presence of mind at that point, I'd probably bite back too.

I opened the door and off he rattled. The kids should not be on my property, not once or not twice. They were asked to leave. They came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The neighbours attitude is what was wrong, not the OP's.

Op was already annoyed so a narky neighbour giving out on his own doorstep would not have gone down well.

Agree with the other posters, if we had gone home and said Mr. Smith or whoever gave out to us for looking in the windows, we'd have been given short shrift.

If someone kicked my door in a threatening manner, damaging property , I'd be calling the Gardai. These stupid minor neighbour disputes can often get out of hand where red mist sets in and end in a tragedy like someone being stabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Wait if you have a dog, why didn't you release the hounds. Honestly some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I had an issue with a few kids some years ago. Rang the guards for advice and the guard basically said there was nothing I could do and said there was no actual law regarding trespass. He said they could stand in my garden as long as they liked. Dunno how true that is but it's what he told me. However, he said there was no law against my watering any part of my garden at any time.

So you can use a hose or sprinkler any time they are in your garden. Not sure how that would go down with your neighbour.

Incidentally, kicking your door constitutes criminal damage: A person who without lawful excuse damages any property belonging to another intending to damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

anewme wrote: »
    The neighbours attitude is what was wrong, not the OP's.

Op was already annoyed so a narky neighbour giving out in his own doorstep would not have gone down well.

Agree with the other posters, if we had gone home and said Mr. Smith or whoever gave out to us for looking in the windows, we'd have been given short shrift.

If someone kicked my door in a threatening manner , I'd be calling the Gardai.

You may have missed my first post, I don't read the entire thread either though so fair enough. However the OP has now left himself no where to go. A softly, softly may have thrown the OPs neighbour off guard and the kids would have still had their bollocking. Now he's got a fairly useless parent who is probably at home ranting about the wanker at number 5, the kids probably realise they're not going to get in trouble for doing it again.

Calling the guards would possibly be unhelpful in certain areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

Jesus, relax, it's such a nice day outside and you get mad about nothing. It's children playing for ****s sake get a ****ing grip. Evil human being, just has to infect everyone else with their bad mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I can't agree with this more. Someone comes and has an argument, fair enough. If someone booted my door I wouldn't hold back.

Yes but in this country you would end up in big trouble. The courts would spin it the other way if guy came for charges or looked for compo. Unfortunate but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The biggest mistake you made was posting this here, op ;)

Doesn't matter what happened, sure you could be completely in the right with something. But others will take you up wrong or wind you up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

I opened the door and off he rattled. The kids should not be on my property, not once or not twice. They were asked to leave. They came back.

End of the ****ing world, wish there was less evil men like you and more nice people in this world literally ruining the days of other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

amcalester wrote: »
    When I was a kid the only neighbours we purposely annoyed were the ones who got reacted like you OP.

Pity you didn't get a few clatters.

Jesus, relax, it's such a nice day outside and you get mad about nothing. It's children playing for ****s sake get a ****ing grip. Evil human being, just has to infect everyone else with their bad mood.

Its my property. Im the bellend who paid 300k for it. They cannot play wherever they feel like just because there kids. I hope you're not a parent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

End of the ****ing world, wish there was less evil men like you and more nice people in this world literally ruining the days of other people.

Rather ironic sentiment, don't you think?

• Advertisement

Ease off the sauce

Advertisement