Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had a bit of a barney with a neighbour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

First time I would have told them to get out of the garden, second time I would be upstairs with a bucket of water and soaked them. And sure you were only washing your windows!

I remember years ago when I worked in the city centre and parked in a not so nice area. Kids from the nearby flats would congregate close by and block the road when you were trying to drive out late in the afternoon, nothing malicious, just messers. One time one of them jumped on the bonnet of the car and grabbed onto the top of it. So I turned on the windscreen washer and wipers. Never happened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

First time I would have told them to get out of the garden, second time I would be upstairs with a bucket of water and soaked them. And sure you were only washing your windows!

I remember years ago when I worked in the city centre and parked in a not so nice area. Kids from the nearby flats would congregate close by and block the road when you were trying to drive out late in the afternoon, nothing malicious, just messers. One time one of them jumped on the bonnet of the car and grabbed onto the top of it. So I turned on the windscreen washer and wipers. Never happened again.

There was a great story that a café owner in a similar area went out with a super soaker one day and gave them a bit of a playful squirt to feck off and stop nicking stuff.

"We're not worried about a bit of water mister"

"It's not water" came the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Hey mister, give us a fiver to mind yer car!!!

See that dog in the car ya little prick?, he'll mind the car just fine....

Does your dog know how to put out fires mister?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Archeron

Specialun wrote: »
    When somebody comes to my door looking 4 a barney and having a go am i to offer them a box of butlers chocs and a spa weekend away

Only if you live behind door number three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

pilly wrote: »
    Is the door in any way damaged. I had a similar incident when the gate was kicked in and hanging off the hinges. Called the guards and they went and had a word.

Same guy quiet as a mouse since, reckon he was on probation anyway.

Don't hesitate to call the guards if there's any damage to property. That's a crime.

Nah no damage tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Who's Barney anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭brevity

Who's Barney anyway?

Barney Rubble. Not the dinosaur. Although a chorus of "I love you, you love me" might have made things....spicier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Probably best not to escalate things rapidly with the kids if they are neighbours if only for the sake of a quiet life. Kids can be annoying out of proportion to how bad they actually are as people. I know I was.

Something you have to deal with if you live in an estate with lots of them.

If it's repeated though, I can understand if you lose the rag a bit.

The father sounds like a bit of a dick but also there I'd probably just talk him down unless he directly threatens you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A neighbour of my dad's has a sign up on the wall. "Intruders will be shot."

He doesn't get any callers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭TheDavester

There was a great story that a café owner in a similar area went out with a super soaker one day and gave them a bit of a playful squirt to feck off and stop nicking stuff.

"We're not worried about a bit of water mister"

"It's not water" came the reply.
    get a water gun, boil the water and see how they like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

beertons wrote: »
    Next time he knocks in, answer the door with a cordless nail gun in your hand. If he raises his voice, shoot him in the foot. Then just say it went off.

This made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

THEY LEANED ON YOUR WINDOWSILL?

Lets get a posse rounded up, these monsters have to pay.

Thats how ISIS started.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Oh right. How am i in the wrong

You're the one with the yappy dog which annoys the whole neighbourhood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

You're the one with the yappy dog which annoys the whole neighbourhood.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Come on OP, handle this like an adult

And by adult, I mean you absolutely must sh** in a brown paper bag, ignite it on his doorstep, ring the bell and run

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Have you any nephews about the same age as the kids or a bit older?
    If so over easter get the nephew's down to stay and get them to play football and use his wall as a goal post everyday all day.
    Nothing worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Next time they call around get a garden chair and sit out in the garden with them. Maybe throw a bit of Daniel O Donnell on your phone. Chat politely about politics and the weather.

Make it not cool to be in your garden and they may get bored of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

myshirt wrote: »
    Ah heour, geh ouh of dah gaaarden!!

Was just about to post the same "Ah heeeorr, gerrr ourah dah garden" (clearly different dialects :D)

All joking aside, that expression is an expression for a reason.
    I grew up in a council estate as did 90% of working people at the time 70/80's.
    Your home was your castle and people planted their flowers and fathers spent the saturdays running them fecking rotary mowers over the front gardens and let the backs go to sh1te. :pac:

Your garden is an extension of your home. ITS YOURS, NOT THE ROADS.
    Kids these days are given carte blanche to run about the place and wreck gardens(only happened last weekend to my neighbour who went out and spent the WHOLE weekend planting bulbs, 50 or 60 quids worth, only for little sh1ts to pull the whole lot out the same evening).

We, as a society, seem to have accepted these "parents" who allow their kids to run amok as "ah, its kids being kids" as the norm.
    Eh no. A football going over the wall was kids being kids(and as someone who said earlier, there was actually an old dude on our road who used to put a knife in the balls over his back.....problem solved,,,,kids played ball elsewhere. Now kids just get another ball). There was always "Knick Nak" but again thats all harmless.

Kids are getting away with far too much and I'm going to be the one who says it......its due to lazy ass parenting :eek::eek::eek::D

They just don't want to know...the teachers in the schools will tell you.
    The Guards will tell you (although I'm not letting the Guards off on this one, if the made their presence more visible in the community, kids might ACTUALLY know what a copper was before they actually pinched the little ****ers).
    And their parents DEFEND them to the hilt.
    Easier to tell everyone else they are wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

New neighbours just moved in yesterday. Now there's at least three grown men shouting at the top of their lungs at each other all night. They're still at it now and it's almost 7.00 AM.

The neighbours on the other side were worse. They had a party every single weekend. At the very first party they had one of their guests threw an egg at my window at about 2.00 AM. A couple of weeks later at 3.00 AM someone started beating my front door furiously. I opened it and some idiot tried to push past me. I stood in his way and then he said "oh do I have the wrong house?". I shouted "YES" and almost sent him flying into the street with the force I closed the door in his face.

Eventually another neighbour complained about them and they were evicted. Now there are 'members of the travelling community' living there, seemingly a mother and daughter. One night the mother was shouting at the top of her voice on the phone and going in and out of the house slamming the door. I left my house to go to Tesco and glanced in the direction of the house she was shouting from. Next thing the daughter approached me and said "don't be eavesdropping that's a bad thing to do". There have been at least three occasions where either that daughter or another one called 999 because they thought the mother had killed herself and I ended up with fire engines and ambulances outside the house.

Now I still have those neighbours as well as the ones that have just moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Good walls make good neighbours.

Good fences make good neighbours.
    Robert Frost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

You must be on the wind up..so the 2nd time they came back what am i to do..ask them kindly again???

Ignore them, and they'll go looking elsewhere for an aggressive reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Well it was relatively warm already from what I'm told, being fresh from it's 'dispenser' as it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

New neighbours just moved in yesterday. Bow there's at least three grown men shouting at the top of their lungs at each other all night. They're still at it now and it's almost 7.00 AM.

The neighbours on the other side were worse. They had a party every single weekend. At the very first party they had one of their guests threw an egg at my window at about 2.00 AM. A couple of weeks later at 3.00 AM someone started beating my front door furiously. I opened it and some idiot tried to push past me. I stood in his way and then he said "oh do I have the wrong house?". I shouted "YES" and almost sent him flying into the street with the force I closed the door in his face.

Eventually another neighbour complained about them and they were evicted. Now there are 'members of the travelling community' living there, seemingly a mother and daughter. One night the mother was shouting at the top of her voice on the phone and going in and out of the house slamming the door. I left my house to go to Tesco and glanced in the direction of the house she was shouting from. Next thing the daughter approached me and said "don't be eavesdropping that's a bad thing to do". There have been at least three ocassions where either that daughter or another one called 999 because they thought the mother had killed herself and I ended up with fire engines and ambulances outside the house.

Now I still have those neighbours as well as the ones that have just moved in.

lol I love your understated style of writing :)

If anyone deserves a weekend break on beautiful Inisbofin, it's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Demonique wrote: »
    Thinking yelling at kids for being brats is overreacting is one of the reasons we've got so many overly sensitive cry baby adults nowadays

Oh so true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Lol.
    Jumped on the bonnet of the car.
    Sounds like they're running wild.
    Where are you living.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

pablo128 wrote: »
    By being aggressive and confrontational. When you say you caught one of the bikes do you mean while the kid was on it?
    I live on a corner in an estate in Tallaght. We get hounded, if it's not kids coming in banging on the windows or staring in the windows, its some other knacker behaviour. We are here 7 years and still get it.

We managed to stop the ones who would stand outside and abuse my partner when she went outside, by finding where they lived and telling the parents, although like the OP, one of them came around first shouting the odds about 'abusing' his darling child. He fcuked off with his tail between his legs when he realised exactly what his angel was doing. We haven't seen his kid since either.

Then there was the Romanian kid who was terrorising the road with his cousin. Until he put a brick through my window. Then I went around to his house, marched straight in to the sitting room when the door opened, and went ballistic to his father, letting him know what I was going to do if he didn't pay for my window.

I had 90 euro the next day off him.
    By sitting room you mean the ha'penny bridge???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Years ago now I lived on an open plan estate.

The lady opposite took agin me.

She had a wee dog. a low slung dachshund that she took to shows etc.. Her baby ...

Saw her one evening getting the dog to s**t on my lawn.

So I phoned here, saying I was terribly worried about the dog as I had ( fingers firmly crossed) just put some very strong toxic weekliller on the grass. And had seen them on it.

She slammed the phone down and I never saw her do that again. I bet the poor dog got well scrubbed though ;)

She was a retired hospital matron and he a retired policeman,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Lol.
    Jumped on the bonnet of the car.
    Sounds like they're running wild.
    Where are you living.

Read it again. Properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Or better yet throw a bucket of water on them from a first floor window.

If that doesn't work try acid. Although this may damage your lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I had an issue with student neighbors many years ago. They were up all night with music blaring and then heading out on the road at 3am to play football and lashing the cars out of it.

I called in and asked them politely to be a bit more considerate... I was a student once but perhaps turn the music down after 2am and stop going out playing football.

About a week later, same carry on and one of the neighbors must have called the guards. They assumed it was me and then decided to get their own back. They let the air out of all my tires, would blare music until 6am and my clothes were robbed off my line a few times.

It was becoming unbearable and I had to suppress the urge to beat the crap out of them. I ended up calling the college and they said they would investigate it, after the year had finished and they moved out I got a call from the college to come in, they were all final year students so they suspended their degrees for a year - didn't know this could be done but they did it.

Advertisement