Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Doris - Wednesday PM/Thursday AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

RuthieRose wrote: »
    My sister is supposed to be getting a flight at 2pm tomorrow from London to Dublin. Do you think there will be delays from Dormas (Doris/Thomas - see what I did there!!)

Some delays are likely as Doris will hit northern/central England at its peak. London won't see the strongest winds but prob hitting 40-50kt gusts. Knock on effects from prior aircraft delays are probable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rainfall warning issued for Cavan Monaghan Donegal Galway Leitrim Mayo and Sligo valid from 9pm tonight. Status yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

warning in the uk has been updated and widened to include more southern portions of England to experience strong winds,with heavier snowfall than expected forecast...

The worst storm of the winter is set to batter Britain on Thursday, with the Met Office warning that Storm Doris will bring gale-force winds and snow to more areas than previously feared.

An amber “be prepared” weather warning has been extended further south to include Birmingham and the northern edges of the home counties where winds of up 80mph are forecast.

More snow than initially expected is also predicted for Scotland and northern England. A new amber warning for heavy snow has also been issued for southern Scotland and the Cheviot Hills in Northumbria, where up to 30cm of snow is forecast.

A yellow “be aware” warning of high winds has also been extended to include almost all of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

11am TAF for Dublin airport gives wind gusting up to 50knots bewteen 5am and 7am tomorrow morning. Certainly is going to be a wild commute to work for people in the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭GBX

For the first time since I moved office to Clontarf, I may consider public transport because I reckon it'll be a tad wild for my motorbike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That will definitely impact early departures at Dublin Airport and quite possibly the early USA arrivals
    Dublin Airport is very exposed to westerlies

No it wont, wind is directly runway heading. Windshear is a factor that can affect arrivals, departures will have no issue whatsoever.

It'll probably be gustier (higher gust factor) so windshear will be a factor for aircraft at DUB. Also, these gusts will be more from a crosswind (northerly) direction for runway 28, so we may see them using runway 34 more than normal tomorrow morning (they usually use it for morning rush hour takeoffs anyway).

Wind is forecast is 280 degrees from 5am-7am. On runway heading, so no issues, 34 will likely not be used at all, and also worth mentioning 34 is only used when Ideal conditions are forecast, and rarely in the winter anyway.

It will be very windy for a time tomorrow morning in an area (Dublin) where large volumes of people will be on the move going to work. A valid thread on this occasion and well done to OP for starting it in good time

Wind is now 0 knots here in West Clare calm before the storm?

10.2mm of rain here so far since midnight, will be the wettest day this year here without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Wind is forecast is 280 degrees from 5am-7am. On runway heading, so no issues, 34 will likely not be used at all, and also worth mentioning 34 is only used when Ideal conditions are forecast, and rarely in the winter anyway.

So you're saying categorically no wind issues at DUB tomorrow morning owing to Doris ?
    Brave call

• Advertisement

So you're saying categorically no wind issues at DUB tomorrow morning owing to Doris ?
    Brave call

At the most some minor delays. I've watched these wind events for a few years and how they affect airports, unless the wind is over 60knots, a wind with a runway heading never really affects operations.

At the most some minor delays. I've watched these wind events for a few years and how they affect airports, unless the wind is over 60knots, a wind with a runway heading never really affects operations.

They're forecasted to be at or above that though and not due west either
    Anyhow hopefully not but we'll see

They're forecasted to be at or above that though and not due west either
    Anyhow hopefully not but we'll see

Remember I said Knots not Km/h, and the forecast I'm using is the TAF for Dublin Airport, which is the Terminal Area Forecast, a special forecast for Airports.

Wind is given as

5am-7am, 280 degrees 35kts gusting 50kts
    8am-10am, 300 degrees 25kts gusting 40kts

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

warning in the uk has been updated and widened to include more southern portions of England to experience strong winds,with heavier snowfall than expected forecast...

The worst storm of the winter is set to batter Britain on Thursday, with the Met Office warning that Storm Doris will bring gale-force winds and snow to more areas than previously feared.

An amber “be prepared” weather warning has been extended further south to include Birmingham and the northern edges of the home counties where winds of up 80mph are forecast.

More snow than initially expected is also predicted for Scotland and northern England. A new amber warning for heavy snow has also been issued for southern Scotland and the Cheviot Hills in Northumbria, where up to 30cm of snow is forecast.

A yellow “be aware” warning of high winds has also been extended to include almost all of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

3D83662900000578-0-image-a-38_1487753182866.jpg

Remember I said Knots not Km/h, and the forecast I'm using is the TAF for Dublin Airport, which is the Terminal Area Forecast, a special forecast for Airports.

Wind is given as

5am-7am, 280 degrees 35kts gusting 50kts
    8am-10am, 300 degrees 25kts gusting 40kts

I'm not going on those,I was originally reacting to the wind modelled this morning mentioned by WC
    If there's anywhere in the greater Dublin area best placed to reach or exceed 110kmph in the morning it's the airport and of course there associated other wind issues
    Tafs will change probably within 24hrs,they often do, hopefully not for the worse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Firstly I think gusts will be a good deal higher 50 knots at DUB early tomorrow morning (nearer to 60 imo) and as I explained in the aviation weather thread yesterday the gusts will be crosswind (from the right). Windshear will be a factor and will probably cause a number of go-arounds. Diversions? I'm not so sure, but some delays are likely, however not like when we have a 220-230 ° wind event.

Runway 34 is used for some departures from 7 am most mornings, summer and winter. In the event of a strong wind from a west to north component I see no reason why they would not use it tomorrow.

We're only talking a couple of hours in any case but it will be around the busiest time of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Going on the ECM forecast on Windyty.
    2.00a.m Thursday. Event for west galway and west clare.
    screenshot_1.png

5.00a.m Thursday. Windy in wexford.
    screenshot_1.png

8.00a.m Thursday. Winds are gone offshore from Dublin.
    screenshot_1.png

Non event for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Could have been quite a wind event for Dublin and the East coast had it developed differently. I know I'm saying this as it is still only forming but looks the likely situation. Will still feel noteworthy for Dubliners on their commute compared to the disdain those in the West would have for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ECM 925 hPa winds of up to 70 knots at 9 am tomorrow, which is just when things should be starting to recede. That level is at about 500 m amsl in Dublin, so we could expect these winds to make it down to the surface as gusts as that gradient moves through. Maybe not quite 70 knots but I think 60 possible.

ecm0125_millikort_gh925_uv925_windshear850-925_2017022200_033.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The worst (highest wind) chart I can see on the GFS is this... which would lead me to think what's all the fuss about. I guess we will see tomorrow.

ukwind.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Perfect, storm in a tea cup?

Flying out in the morning so fingers crossed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

That chart above looks like it is showing mean wind speeds, not gusts. Netweather have a short range model viewer with gust data here:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=netwx-sr;sess=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Darwin wrote: »
    That chart above looks like it is showing mean wind speeds, not gusts. Netweather have a short range model viewer with gust data here:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=netwx-sr;sess=

It is mean speeds - Gusts are below.

ukgust.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

That's way off the mark IMO.

The 2 main ground handling operators stop all ground handling ops at 40kts. They will push that out to 45kts for some strategic handling but anywhere above that and it's a complete stop. So if it's gusting to 50kts for 2 hours then a large volume of aircraft will not move for 2 hours which is a fairly decent disruption

Storm Doris appears on latest satellite imagery to be commencing rapid deepening..

stormdorisanalysis.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Storm Doris appears on latest satellite imagery to be commencing rapid deepening..

stormdorisanalysis.png

Would that be ahead of originally thought or is it right on que WC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

WV image of 'Doris' (not the most ominous of names tbh) at 2pm.

BWUghvl.png

Pressure has just begun to take a nosedive on my humble station in the last hour or so.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Looking at some historic charts could storm Doris be similar to the whopper storm Kyrill on the 18th Jan 2007?

pad199207 wrote: »
    Would that be ahead of originally thought or is it right on que WC ?

No, seems on schedule to me. In 12 hours time to will rapidly tightening over Ireland..

Seems there will be an almost squall like front crossing the country from 4am in west to 8am in east giving a brief but intense spell of winds. The intense core will probably only impact a location for 2-3 hours at most but will be very turbulent and likely to see high gust ratio as cold air descends. Could see 925hPa wind-field reach the surface during this window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

No, seems on schedule to me. In 12 hours time to will rapidly tightening over Ireland..

Seems there will be an almost squall like front crossing the country from 4am in west to 8am in east giving a brief but intense spell of winds. The intense core will probably only impact a location for 2-3 hours at most but will be very turbulent and likely to see high gust ratio as cold air descends. Could see 925hPa wind-field reach the surface during this window.

Perhaps a bit similar to storm Darwin although nowhere near as intense. Red warning were issued by Met E for that.

Advertisement