Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Doris - Wednesday PM/Thursday AM

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Northern Ireland is 6 counties in Ulster
    If we were part of the UK,there'd probably be a BBC IRL EAST ,BBC IRL West and a BBC IRL Munster with detailed forecasts after the regional news bulletin's specific to areas not covered in the national forecast
    Those would be the forecasts people pay most attention to in that case

National forecasts especially our one with limited resources with extreme weather can only be reasonably expected to dwell on where the biggest audience's impacted are and in this case ,the extra consideration of where the storm was going to be when millions were commuting as opposed to sleeping

So, going by your peculiar logic, a national weather service upon issuing a national forecast, should completely ignore a less populated part of the country in favour of where the denser population resides? Sorry, I don't buy this argument at all. It makes no sense to me, and, to be frank, really just makes my point all the more strong. How much more 'resources' does RTE need to include the west in a national weather alert? :confused: God give me strength. :rolleyes:

I have worked much of my life on nightshift duties, and let me tell you, there are a lot of us out there. Not everyone is asleep in the darkest hours. Truck drivers, shift workers, hospital staff etc, and I have yet to see the main roads, which are very exposed on this side of the country, totally quiet between the hours of 2 to 5am.

New Moon

When it comes to stats, you're one guy I ain't gonna argue with! :o However, Met Éireann's charts do show much of the west to be the same or slightly higher on mean speeds, and substiantially higher on gusts, than the east.

climate_windmap02.gifclimate_windmap03.gif

But anyway, onwards and upwards to Ewan. :)

To be a totally anal pedant, that first map shows mean speeds over most of the west to be on par with, or less than those along the east coast. But I'll meet you halfway :P mean speeds are little higher over inland western regions than over inland eastern regions.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    So, going by your peculiar logic, a national weather service upon issuing a national forecast, should completely ignore a less populated part of the country in favour of where the denser population resides? Sorry, I don't buy this argument at all. It makes no sense to me, and, to be frank, really just makes my point all the more strong. How much more 'resources' does RTE need to include the west in a national weather alert? :confused: God give me strength. :rolleyes:

I have worked much of my life on nightshift duties, and let me tell you, there are a lot of us out there. Not everyone is asleep in the darkest hours. Truck drivers, shift workers, hospital staff etc, and I have yet to see the main roads, which are very exposed on this side of the country, totally quiet between the hours of 2 to 5am.
    Well if God gives you strength for the above rant,he may as well give me some too for every time I hear an over arching sense of entitlement expressed for resources that cannot be afforded,however merited

Well I suppose too you're entitled to think my logic peculiar ,you're entitled to your view
    I live beside one of the busiest motorways in the country and you could hear a pin drop at 3am
    It's a question of resources,the cost of airtime and priorities that determine the pointedness of broadcast forecasts similar to other public services
    It was and always will be ever thus
    Tonight's forecast did actually reference a warning for the west as there was room for that emphasis in the absence of the need for a more pressing emphasis elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Also, your chart shows a snapshot of 925 winds at both midnight and 6 am. The peak of the winds in here in the west was between both these times.

Sorry, not sure why I didn't post the chart for 3 am. Here it is, for the record, followed by the 3 am chart from the 00Z run later that night (T+03hr). Note the deeper low centre in the 00Z run and 20-30-knot increase in winds getting into the west (85 kt versus 60 kt around Clew Bay). A big upgrade compared to the earlier 12Z run.

ecm0125_millikort_gh925_uv925_windshear850-925_2017022212_015.png

ecm0125_millikort_gh925_uv925_windshear850-925_2017022300_003.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Winds worse right now in Co Limerick than they were on Thursday morn!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not as bad here in West Galway as the cottage is not shaking.! But nasty.

As for forecasts; people expect far too much given the volatile nature of our weather. Seem to remember there was an orange marine warning that day? Which told me the weather would be very bad. Galway is a very coastal county and is affected by marine weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A bit of a rant there indeed.

I don't think that was the claim in the first place and more importantly, weather at 8 or 9 am is going to be more disruptive and does deserve greater publicity on the media forecasts. There are other sources of weather info as provided by Met Éireann and others. Having a read of the Met Éireann forecasts would tell folks that more than just the east coast was going to be affected and that it would be during the night also.

There is a difference though when they neglect to talk about the severe weather forecast for one part of the country and do talk about it for another, on a national media broadcast. *In general* they do their best with meagre resources and high expectations on style, content, etc. but I believe they did mistakenly downplay or ignore the risk to other parts of the country.

One explanation for this was they were expecting something like the famed sting jet to hit. Were the forecasts ever really suggesting a proper localised sting jet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A bit of a rant there indeed.

I don't think that was the claim in the first place and more importantly, weather at 8 or 9 am is going to be more disruptive and does deserve greater publicity on the media forecasts. There are other sources of weather info as provided by Met Éireann and others. Having a read of the Met Éireann forecasts would tell folks that more than just the east coast was going to be affected and that it would be during the night also.

There is a difference though when they neglect to talk about the severe weather forecast for one part of the country and do talk about it for another, on a national media broadcast. *In general* they do their best with meagre resources and high expectations on style, content, etc. but I believe they did mistakenly downplay or ignore the risk to other parts of the country.

One explanation for this was they were expecting something like the famed sting jet to hit. Were the forecasts ever really suggesting a proper localised sting jet?

The jet stream wasn't really strong enough for a sting jet. Normally it would need to be near 200 knots, in this case it was "only" around 100 knots or less.

ecm0125_nat_gh300_uv300_2017022212_018.png[img][/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

The forecasts I read in the run up to the storm IMO were very accurate for my area and correctly predicted the strength, arrival times, and duration of the severest winds. The warnings issued by Met Eireann were appropriate and justified.

As an aside to this, and I know some criticised Aer Lingus for suspending ground operations at Dublin airport on Thursday morning. Adjacent to Dublin airport are Ballymun Kickhams playing fields and that storm caused horrendous damage, including full size GAA goal posts being blown over. As the crow flies, that location is around 2km from T2 across open ground, and again IMHO vindicates the decision to suspend those operations. We should be thankful that injury and damage wasn't far worse than reported during this particular weather event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep far more creaking in the roof timbers last night and it's still pretty horrid out there. March will be in like a baby lion by the looks of it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

I'm not too proud to say I almost cried when I saw what Doris did to this iconic,hundred of years old drooping ash tree on the farm :(
    At its top it was about 40ft high and sprawled wide and graceful

Well if God gives you strength for the above rant,he may as well give me some too for every time I hear an over arching sense of entitlement expressed for resources that cannot be afforded,however merited

Well I suppose too you're entitled to think my logic peculiar ,you're entitled to your view
    I live beside one of the busiest motorways in the country and you could hear a pin drop at 3am
    It's a question of resources,the cost of airtime and priorities that determine the pointedness of broadcast forecasts similar to other public services
    It was and always will be ever thus
    Tonight's forecast did actually reference a warning for the west as there was room for that emphasis in the absence of the need for a more pressing emphasis elsewhere

giphy.gif

New Moon

Advertisement