Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British monarch references painted over on street signs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

These guys are Irish Republicans. Sinn Fein would surely take up the complaints they have and so they should put it to Sinn Fein to speak about it, peacefully in the Dail.

Far as I know, SF have been against this back as far as Nelson's pillar. Some of the most vocal champions of our built heritage local to me would be SF members actually.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well if that were true, sure would the boys your so fond of be grand then.....given they've monetised bank robbery (as opposed to Banksy robbing :D), fuel laundering, tobacco smuggling, protection rackets, intellectual property piracy, etc etc etc

Maybe if they left a bag of swag in your 'garage' you would look the other way or become a cheap hypocrite? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Maybe if they left a bag of swag in your 'garage' you would look the other way or become a cheap hypocrite? ;)

No, because there'd be no market for something stolen.....as opposed to getting something done to my property.

If they want to vandalise something, vandalise their own stuff.

EDIT: and I think given the prices Banksy's work is commanding I'm an expensive hypocrite?

No, because there'd be no market for something stolen.....as opposed to getting something done to my property.

If they want to vandalise something, vandalise their own stuff.

EDIT: and I think given the prices Banksy's work is commanding I'm an expensive hypocrite?

:D:D the lols are loud in Francie's house. A wee hiding for English rugby to keep the 6 nations open would complete the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

These guys are Irish Republicans. Sinn Fein would surely take up the complaints they have and so they should put it to Sinn Fein to speak about it, peacefully in the Dail.

Given that this lot support Brexit and IRexit you think Sinn Féin that are against Brexit would talk up for this lot in the Dáil?

• Advertisement

Given that this lot support Brexit and IRexit you think Sinn Féin that are against Brexit would talk up for this lot in the Dáil?

Here's a SF councillor and a Republican ex prisoner organization working to restore and preserve a plantation castle. Imagine, a plantation castle!!! :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/17th-century-plantation-castle-found-hiding-in-plain-sight-1.2762110

Here's a SF councillor and a Republican ex prisoner organization working to restore and preserve a plantation castle. Imagine, a plantation castle!!! :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/17th-century-plantation-castle-found-hiding-in-plain-sight-1.2762110

Yeah, imagine that. How things have changed.....

Stronge double murder detailed in government files
    .......on the night of 21 January, an armed gang of ten men crossed the border, hijacked two vehicles and went to the isolated mansion where they murdered Sir Norman and his son.

They then bombed the Abbey before escaping.

.....restoring our heritage instead of burning it.....must be a novel experience ;)

Yeah, imagine that. How things have changed.....

Stronge double murder detailed in government files

.....restoring our heritage instead of burning it.....must be a novel experience ;)

Oh we are back in the conflict/war now?
    WW2 anyone? Wasn't much consideration given to the built heritage then was there?

You argument is all at sea Jawgap. Maybe just watch the rugger?

Oh we are back in the conflict/war now?
    WW2 anyone? Wasn't much consideration given to the built heritage then was there?

You argument is all at sea Jawgap. Maybe just watch the rugger?

Yes, well that would be true if it was ex-Luftwaffe working on a comparable project.

You're not going to suggest that heritage and it's value was a consideration when the 'RA were bombing and murdering their way through the Troubles???

Adams and Kelly, the Monuments Men???? :D

Yes, well that would be true if it was ex-Luftwaffe working on a comparable project.

You're not going to suggest that heritage and it's value was a consideration when the 'RA were bombing and murdering their way through the Troubles???

Adams and Kelly, the Monuments Men???? :D

It isn't when anyone goes to war/conflict.

Try again. You are not doing very well today.

• Advertisement

It isn't when anyone goes to war/conflict.

Try again. You are not doing very well today.

Well, actually it is.

I know your grasp of history is somewhat anorexic, but if you look at the discussions the Allies had around the SHINGLE and AVALANCHE landings and the desire to avoid damaging Papal property near by......or consider why Paris nor Rome were bombed......or why Operation BOWLER was called Operation BOWLER.....you'll see just how much weight was given to protecting heritage, architecture and art.

Yeh, Cologne and Dresden.

If the IRA had a mission of destroying the built heritage they made a hames of it.

Ridiculous clutching argument persists.

Yeh, Cologne and Dresden.

If the IRA had a mission of destroying the built heritage they made a hames of it.

Ridiculous clutching argument persists.

I didn't say they targeted it, I just pointed out that they were reckless as to whether it was destroyed or not.

I didn't say they targeted it, I just pointed out that they were reckless as to whether it was destroyed or not.

As everybody is in a conflict/war. As demonstrated. Pathetic to revert to a conflict /war scenario in the face of a clear presentation of SF and ex IRA prisoners preserving and restoring a !piece of our planted heritage.

Utterly pathetic in fact.

As everybody is in a conflict/war. As demonstrated. Pathetic to revert to a conflict /war scenario in the face of a clear presentation of SF and ex IRA prisoners preserving and restoring a !piece of our planted heritage.

Utterly pathetic in fact.

Hey, just pointing out the remarkable turnaround - they'd be more used to burning it or robbing it than protecting or preserving it.

Well done to them, though.

Hey, just pointing out the remarkable turnaround - they'd be more used to burning it or robbing it than protecting or preserving it.

Well done to them, though.

At least they didn't pack their museums with somebody else's built heritage. :)

At least they didn't pack their museums with somebody else's built heritage. :)

I presume then the Shinners will be advocating giving back all other people's heritage when the Executive resumes?

Ancient Egypt

I presume then the Shinners will be advocating giving back all other people's heritage when the Executive resumes?

Ancient Egypt

If any of it was illegally plundered I am sure they would.

Who would be against it? Would you? (maybe you have some in the 'garage'?) :)

If any of it was illegally plundered I am sure they would.

Who would be against it? Would you? (maybe you have some in the 'garage'?) :)

Well there could be, there's all kinds of sh1te in there......everything except the cars :D

There's even some black paint if the Cork Banksies wish to continue or expand their initiative.

Well there could be, there's all kinds of sh1te in there......everything except the cars :D

There's even some black paint if the Cork Banksies wish to continue or expand their initiative.

Would you be in favour of Britain's museums returning built heritage taken during Empire?

• Advertisement

Would you be in favour of Britain's museums returning built heritage taken during Empire?

Yeah, why not?

Yeah, why not?

Just wondering. Hard to work out what your view might be.

Just wondering. Hard to work out what your view might be.

Sorry, I'll try to use smaller words in future.

Sorry, I'll try to use smaller words in future.

:) I would say don't flip flop, be consistent. No danger then.

:) I would say don't flip flop, be consistent. No danger then.

Nah, a long time ago the importance of psychological flexibility was imparted to me.

Not sure what danger you're referring to, but maybe we'll leave it there, based on the Shinners announcement I'm guessing you'll be summoned for a briefing....

Nah, a long time ago the importance of psychological flexibility was imparted to me.

Not sure what danger you're referring to, but maybe we'll leave it there, based on the Shinners announcement I'm guessing you'll be summoned for a briefing....

Ah, the 'Shinner' cul de sac again.
    How apt to end on.

Ah, the 'Shinner' cul de sac again.
    How apt to end on.

Sorry, I keep forgetting your lack of involvement. It's well painted over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ah lads get a room would you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't believe we should be changing names because they're British. If we did that we'd be as bad as the unionists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't believe we should be changing names because they're British. If we did that we'd be as bad as the unionists
    I said the same thing to someone as I was walking down Sackville St ( O'Connell St) on the way to (British built) Amiens St Station ( Connolly st) to get the train to Kingstown ( Dun Laoghaire).

Advertisement