Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British monarch references painted over on street signs.

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Maryishere banned for 2 days.

May I enquire as to why?
    Henry94 wrote: »
    So about those Cork street signs. It looked like an interesting debate to have but painting over the names is the kind of thing that ruins a campaign. We are very used to the existing names and a tiny group can't just take it on themselves to delegitimise them. The response to the vandalism has to be the end of the discussion for now. Let future generations decide if they want to keep the Victorias the Alberts the Devonshires et al in our street names. Cork will not be bullied.

Agreed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

You do make me laugh Francie. You make assertions, gets debunked by people who actually lived the very thing we are debating and then switch to the DUP again.

Debunked? :D

What of the current set up in the north is not true?
    Are ex IRA members not in power? Are Republicans not equal partners? Those very people the sectarian bigots kept from power and equality for decades?
    Of what the conflict was about. The PIRA didn't bomb and kill for 30 years for civil rights and dressing them up as almost like Martin Luther King or something is factually wrong. When you have actual IRA members who lived it saying it was a revolutionary struggle for a United Ireland and to force the 'Brits' back across the ocean as Meehan described it, then its difficult to argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Of what the conflict was about. The PIRA didn't bomb and kill for 30 years for civil rights and dressing them up as almost like Martin Luther King or something is factually wrong. When you have actual IRA members who lived it saying it was a revolutionary struggle for a United Ireland and to force the 'Brits' back across the ocean as Meehan described it, then its difficult to argue.

I said, the IRA were 'involved' in the dismantling of a sectarian state. 'Involved' with other republicans, civil rights activists and right minded politicians.

I am not one bit concerned what their 'goal' was.
    The facts are that is what was achieved in the north. The dismantling of the sectarian state.
    The sectarian state is no more and will never be back. You need to stop fighting the conflict/war. It is over.
    The same as these guys in Cork should stop trying to rewrite/blot out history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I said, the IRA were 'involved' in the dismantling of a sectarian state. 'Involved' with other republicans, civil rights activists and right minded politicians.

I am not one bit concerned what their 'goal' was.
    The facts are that is what was achieved in the north. The dismantling of the sectarian state.
    The sectarian state is no more and will never be back. You need to stop fighting the conflict/war. It is over.
    The same as these guys in Cork should stop trying to rewrite/blot out history.
    Terrible argument or lack of. The IRA campaign was not about joining the state, helping run the state. You need to read a few books on this from the view of IRA members who fought what they saw as a revolutionary war for a United Ireland. They did not fight for civil rights per se but to actually destroy the state/Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Terrible argument or lack of. The IRA campaign was not about joining the state, helping run the state. You need to read a few books on this from the view of IRA members who fought what they saw as a revolutionary war for a United Ireland. They did not fight for civil rights per se but to actually destroy the state/Union.

What has this to do with the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As I said. I am not particularly bothered with your version of history. Open a thread on it. Way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Further developments: He's been arrested and suddenly forgot how to speak English... I imagine he's delighted.

https://www.facebook.com/corksredfm/posts/10154346205842060:0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

But in principle I wouldn't be against renaming some streets if the public will was there for it to be done.
    Fair enough, if the public will is there. There's the rub. Some gauleiters know better than the people, don't you know.

"The group has criticised the naming of Cork’s newly unveiled Victorian Quarter, which includes MacCurtain Street and nearby streets."

One wouldn't expect yobs who flout the public will to understand that "Victorian" simply defines an era, an arcitectural style etc..

"engaging in Civil Disobedience to remove Victoria’s name"

And now the Kerry lads are supposed to know their way around Cork from Böthar Road. But don't let that get in the way of second childhood.

Advertisement