Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British monarch references painted over on street signs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

maryishere wrote: »
    I said the same thing to someone as I was walking down Sackville St ( O'Connell St) on the way to (British built) Amiens St Station ( Connolly st) to get the train to Kingstown ( Dun Laoghaire).

With a bit of good luck you caught the ferry (boat) at the end

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't believe we should be changing names because they're British. If we did that we'd be as bad as the unionists.

Indeed. We have as a race experienced this attempt to obliterate the past through the obliteration of our language before and we should be very sensitive to it.
    Brian Friel deals with it in Translations. A play which follows a company of English military cartographers/surveyors changing place names in Donegal in the early 19th century.
    While what is going on in the play, the loss of our language and the resulting challenge to express our identity in the language of the coloniser is, tragic and violent in its vulgarity, the message is upbeat. As the main character says at the end

'We must learn these new names… We must learn where we live. We must learn to make them our own. We must make them our new home'

I think we have largely done that, we have taken their language and names and we use them in our own unique way.
    I have no fear of what the British left behind. Like a few on here, those guys painting out names are still captives of the colonisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

I have no fear of what the British left behind.
    And yet you defended the destruction of Nelsons column, which was a viewing platform and tourist attraction in our Capital city?

And yet you defended the destruction of Nelsons column, which was a viewing platform and tourist attraction in our Capital city?

No Mary, I didn't. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted byDel.Monte
    Would that be like the Nelson Pillar, the Walker monument in Derry, the Victoria monument in Dun Laoghaire to name but a few pieces of handiwork of 'true' republicans.
    Yes it would.
    Reactionary and silly demonstrations like the above are akin to the worst strains of reactionary empire adulation.
    It is understandable after a period of subjugation and overweening triumphalism from 'one side'.
    It's a physical form of trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No Mary, I didn't. :rolleyes:

Just ignore. Hell is the absence of reasoning and there's no reasoning with waffle.

• Advertisement

Thanks Francie for answering my question / clarifying that, as some Republicans supported the destruction of Nelsons Pillar. We are agreed on something.

Thanks Francie for answering my question / clarifying that, as some Republicans supported the destruction of Nelsons Pillar. We are agreed on something.

I have to say, I find that as despicable an answer as I have seen on here.
    Your inability to accept that you are simply wrong is chilling. And you are not alone, unfortunately.

Your inability to accept that you are simply wrong is chilling. And you are not alone, unfortunately.

lol. In my sole, unedited sentence in post no 334, I had a question mark, and yet you think it was not a question. Seeing as you defended the actions of Republicans on many other occasions, I am glad there is one operation you condemn them for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

lol.  In my sole, unedited sentence in post no 334, I had a question mark, and yet you think it was not a question.  Seeing as you defended the actions of Republicans on many other occasions, I am glad there is one operation you condemn them for.
    As rare as hens teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

But people know these views exist within Republicanism and vandalizing public property is not right. Just write a leaflet about it or get Sinn Fein to address it in the Dail.
    Sorry I think I missed a bit... What's the Sinn Féin link with these guys?
    These guys are Irish Republicans. Sinn Fein would surely take up the complaints they have and so they should put it to Sinn Fein to speak about it, peacefully in the Dail.

I'll try again...
    Given that this lot support Brexit and IRexit you think Sinn Féin that are against Brexit would talk up for this lot in the Dáil?

No need for the quote button... I'll accept a straight answer.

• Advertisement

lol. In my sole, unedited sentence in post no 334, I had a question mark, and yet you think it was not a question. Seeing as you defended the actions of Republicans on many other occasions, I am glad there is one operation you condemn them for.

Beautiful yet again.

There was a reason I compared those who took down Nelson's Pillar to the the worst of the reactionary empire adulators.
    Both are cut from the same self flagellating/self hating cloth. Both a product of colonisation.

But people know these views exist within Republicanism and vandalizing public property is not right. Just write a leaflet about it or get Sinn Fein to address it in the Dail.
    Sorry I think I missed a bit... What's the Sinn Féin link with these guys?
    These guys are Irish Republicans. Sinn Fein would surely take up the complaints they have and so they should put it to Sinn Fein to speak about it, peacefully in the Dail.

I'll try again...
    Given that this lot support Brexit and IRexit you think Sinn Féin that are against Brexit would talk up for this lot in the Dáil?

No need for the quote button... I'll accept a straight answer.
    The topic has nothing to do with Brexit. The only people they can take the issue up who can speak about it in the Dail are Sinn Fein. Its a pretty straight forward answer and why you seem to struggle with it is beyond me or anyone viewing the thread.
    No one said they are Sinn Fein.

The topic has nothing to do with Brexit. The only people they can take the issue up who can speak about it in the Dail are Sinn Fein. Its a pretty straight forward answer and why you seem to struggle with it is beyond me or anyone viewing the thread.

Why wouldn't it have anything to do with Fianna Fail? Or FG for that matter? They all claim to be spokespersons for 'republicanism' when it suits them.

This isn't an expression of republicanism at all btw. They call themselves Republicans like some call themselves British, when they are anything but.

Let me help you out a bit, you seem to be struggling. This lot that the topic is about support Brexit THAT is the link. I asked why a party against Brexit that is Sinn Féin would speak up for a party supporting it. Are you following now?

Let me help you out a bit, you seem to be struggling. This lot that the topic is about support Brexit THAT is the link. I asked why a party against Brexit that is Sinn Féin would speak up for a party supporting it. Are you following now?
    The topic is not about Brexit, the topic is about vandalism towards Irish signs. 

Why wouldn't it have anything to do with Fianna Fail? Or FG for that matter? They all claim to be spokespersons for 'republicanism'  when it suits them.

This isn't an expression of republicanism at all btw. They call themselves Republicans like some call themselves British, when they are anything but.
    Those parties are not Republican parties as you know all too well. They are as partitionist as the DUP.

The topic is not about Brexit, the topic is about vandalism towards Irish signs. 
    Correct but you brought Sinn Fein into the mix which is why I asked the question that you failed to answer.

Those parties are not Republican parties as you know all too well. They are as partitionist as the DUP.

Those guys are NOT republican as everyone but them, knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

I have no objection to the old British street names, and I'm pretty sure that if O'Connell Street was still Sackville Street, life would still go on as normal, and only a minority of people would be getting their knickers in a twist over it. Like it or not, the British left us a legacy, and in some ways, not a bad one. We aren't slow to sell Dublin as an attractive city to visit, well most of the buildings that make it so attractive were built by..guess who. The irish contribution was to pull some of them down to erect eyesores like the new Liberty Hall and the ESB offices. Should the Georgian and Edwardian architectures, the Custoim House, the...gasp...GPO...be pulled down to satisfy those who would like to see 1921 as "year zero"?

That said, although I get irritated by teeth-gnashing over street names, I wouldn't exactly lose sleep if they were changed, as long as it was something good, i.e. something a bit more imaginitive than streets named after saints or republicans or local priests. There are lots of other options, historical, mythological, geographical...that would also be apolitical. And if we must go down the republican/priest route (please Odin, no), just use the surname for crying out loud. McDermott Street would work just as well as Sean McDermott St. and is snappier, ditto names like Murphy Road instead of "Father Murphy Road", etc...

Those guys are NOT republican as everyone but them, knows.
    Of course they are. They are Irish Republicans in ideology. It would be like me saying the Orange Order aren't Unionists.

Of course they are. They are Irish Republicans in ideology. It would be like me saying the Orange Order aren't Unionists.

Despite the fact that clear evidence of ex IRA prisoners and SF preserving and restoring the very first symbols/bastions of the plantation has been shown, you are going to insist that they are the 'same thing'?

Carry on with the self delusion, you cannot be helped to understand. Just like a few others here, your bias has clearly blinded you.

• Advertisement

I think this island goes forward with an acceptance of different cultures. We complain about the DUP and others rejecting Irish in the North, unionists having palpatations after seeing Irish on manhole cover ect. If there's elememts of Irish culture, like Irish language or place names that have been surpressed under British rule, then do everything to restore that. If it's just British names that people want to change then I'd disagree. We're better than people like the DUP. Let's not get a reputation like theirs.

I think this island goes forward with an acceptance of different cultures. We complain about the DUP and others rejecting Irish in the North, unionists having palpatations after seeing Iridh on manhole cover ect. If there's elememts of Irish culture, like Irish language or place names that have been surpressed under British rule, then do everything to restode that. If it's just British names that people want to change then I'd disagree. We're better than people like the DUP. Let's not get a reputation like theirs.

Yes, rather than focus on small scale stupidity and bigotry like what these guys are up to, our focus should be on the large scale institutionalised bigotry. Maybe the faux outrage is being orchestrated to obscure this stuff, 'the last cries of bigoted unionism':
    The Council of Europe has said that there is a "persisting hostile climate" towards the Irish language in the Northern Ireland Assembly.

It said growth and promotion of the language in Northern Ireland is being blocked by hostile attitudes in Stormont and a lack of support for its use in the courts and in education.

European chiefs have warned authorities they may also be in breach of a charter of rights because of delays and attempts to block requests for bilingual street names.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0116/498160-irish-northern-assembly/

Well that is obvious because the DUP has said it doesn't want to implement it because of the costs. Its not a conspiracy and the DUP trying to hide it. Its actually part of the election for them.

Despite the fact that clear evidence of ex IRA prisoners and SF preserving and restoring the very first symbols/bastions of the plantation has been shown, you are going to insist that they are the 'same thing'?

Carry on with the self delusion, you cannot be helped to understand. Just like a few others here, your bias has clearly blinded you.
    I didn't say they are exactly like Sinn Fein or anything like it. But maybe if they took it up with Sinn Fein to start a dialogue in the Dail about it? They obviously seem passionate about erasing the British oppressors or something like that.

I didn't say they are exactly like Sinn Fein or anything like it. But maybe if they took it up with Sinn Fein to start a dialogue in the Dail about it? They obviously seem passionate about erasing the British oppressors or something like that.
    Well their last stunt was burning the EU flag because they want out of the EU. They also passionatel support Brexit so not sure how this dialogue with anti-Brexit Sinn Fein might go.

We're better than people like the DUP. Let's not get a reputation like theirs.
    Too late, Shinners have a worse reputation than the DUP. In the eyes of many, Sinn Fein and the Provisional IRA were two wings of the same organisation. 60% of the deaths in the troubles and 99% of destruction to property was caused by Republicans.
    Do you remember at some point during the peace talks, there was a memorable exchange between Martin McGuinness and Brian Cowan. It was quite interesting. Martin McGuinness stated that Sinn Fein would "have to consult the [PIRA] army council on this" over certain proposals. Our then Taoiseach Brian Cowan thought for a minute and replied "Yeah, well, there's a mirror in the toilet if you want to go in there and talk to them".

Too late, Shinners have a worse reputation than the DUP.   In the eyes of many,  Sinn Fein and the Provisional IRA were two wings of the same organisation.  60% of the deaths in the troubles and 99% of destruction to property was caused by Republicans.  
    Do you remember at some point during the peace talks, there was a memorable exchange between Martin McGuinness and Brian Cowan.  It was quite interesting.  Martin McGuinness stated that Sinn Fein would "have to consult the [PIRA] army council on this" over certain proposals.  Our then Taoiseach Brian Cowan thought for a minute and replied "Yeah, well, there's a mirror in the toilet if you want to go in there and talk to them".
    Absolutely brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Or Sinn Fein for that matter.

Well that is obvious because the DUP has said it doesn't want to implement it because of the costs. Its not a conspiracy and the DUP trying to hide it. Its actually part of the election for them.

It's stupid to think the DUP are thinking about the costs considering the blank cheques they signed for sectarian orginisations. Truth is they're bigoted against Irish culture. It's fantastic that there is international recognition for this.

• Advertisement

It's stupid to think the DUP are thinking about the costs considering the blank cheques they signed for sectarian orginisations. Truth is they're bigoted against Irish culture. It's fantastic that there is international recognition for this.

I suppose if you repeat that often enough you will believe it. All the while ignoring the elephant in the room, Sinn Fein, who done more than "sign for sectarian organisations." Truth is Republicans are just as bigoted against British culture, if not more so, considering how much was blown up etc.

Advertisement