Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British monarch references painted over on street signs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well, no. You'll see that I clearly distinguish between the concepts that animate central banks' monetary policy and the inability of Shinners to grasp the idea that when you spend a Euro, it's gone - it isn't magically replaced to be spent again......and again.....and again.

I'm not familiar with SF's economic policies but I daresay they're as good at basic arithmetic as you, well done.
    Unless the Shinners are going to take us out of the Euro, and make our central bank subservient to the whim of the politicians......

Oh I'm fully aware that SF are no different to the other gutless wonders when it comes to toeing the line for the 'masters of mankind'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm not familiar with SF's economic policies but I daresay they're as good at basic arithmetic as you, well done.

Oh I'm fully aware that SF are no different to the other gutless wonders when it comes to toeing the line for the 'masters of mankind'.

God, I hope not or we'll be goosed if they ever get into power.

Sure I'd wouldn't even be in the same league as, Pearse Doherty, the Shinner financial wizard......after all.....
    Doherty’s is a self-taught financial mind. He always had a head for figures, he says – his first year maths teacher barely beat him in an algebra match – and he reads voraciously.

.....I'm rubbish at algebra ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Why does anyone care? We get along with the Brits now don't we? I've never lived in a more welcoming country.
    Does anyone really think that if Ireland was a vastly superior power to Britain, with a much larger population, we wouldn't have taken their land? It's human nature, the only reason Europe is at peace now is because we're all so rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Del.Monte wrote: »
    CorkStreetNames2Feb17_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-441959

Ignorant tosspot in a hat....

Off to the dole office with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well, no. You'll see that I clearly distinguish between the concepts that animate central banks' monetary policy and the inability of Shinners to grasp the idea that when you spend a Euro, it's gone - it isn't magically replaced to be spent again......and again.....and again. Unless the Shinners are going to take us out of the Euro, and make our central bank subservient to the whim of the politicians......the Shinners won't appreciate this because they've failed to get into government, but such an approach has, historically speaking, led to sub-optimal outcomes ;)

So if I pay a euro in tax, which a customer gave me- because he got it in his wages etc. it is gone???
    There's your problem in the HSE right there. Top of the economic class Jawgap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Del.Monte wrote: »
    CorkStreetNames2Feb17_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-441959

Decent photo for the next crime call.
    There are democratic ways of bringing about change as opposed to buying a bucket of black paint and a paint brush.
    I`m not even sure that he`s achieving his own goal of blocking out the name.
    I`d still be able to make out the street name.

So if I pay a euro in tax, which a customer gave me- because he got it in his wages etc. it is gone???
    There's your problem in the HSE right there. Top of the economic class Jawgap!

Eh, no. You do no the difference between fiscal and commercial contexts?

The two are not inter-changeable. You can't paint one over the other, or rather you can if you're a Shinner but it doesn't change the underlying fundamentals ;)

Eh, no. You do no the difference between fiscal and commercial contexts?

The two of not inter-changeable. You can't paint one over the other, or rather you can if you're a Shinner but it doesn't change the underlying fundamentals ;)

Magic money trees, disappearing euros? It's like a Harry Potter film.

Well to paraphrase Arthur C Clarke.....Any sufficiently advanced economic concept is indistinguishable from magic......for some ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

LordSutch wrote: »
    Ireland 'as part of this group of islands' was always bound to be involved in Empire building one way or another. Would have been strange if it hadn't been at the heart of it in the 1800s ....

Roman Empire = Good.
    Austro Hungarian Empire = Good.
    Mongol Empire = Good.
    Ottoman Empire = Good.
    Portuguese Empire = Good.
    French Empire = Good.
    Russian Empire = Good.
    Spanish Empire = Good.
    Klingon Empire = Good.

British Empire = Bad.
    Which is a shame, seeing as the Irish were so heavily involved in building it.

The Roman empire subjugated large portions of the known world. This oppression of people led to the invention of Christianity in Israel as a means of escapism i.e there`s historical evidence that the oppression of Israel led to an environment where monotheism and the relaxing of some off putting Jewish practices such as circumcision prospered. Jesus is thought to be a mythicized combination of a number of prominent holy men of the time.Then the vast Roman empire was the vehicle to carry it around the world. This popularity gave status to Israel which otherwise would have been another Roman outpost. However I digress.
    The point I was trying to make here was Rome subjugated Israel in the same way Britain subjugated Ireland. Ireland was never an equal member of the union.

More than any other empire Britain has serious blood on its hands. At a minimum it was negligible in its duty of care to Ireland during the famine, at worst it was outright genocidal. Here was a British state who's citizens were allowed to starve to death while its food was exported by the shipload to feed the mainland British population and maintain the grand diets of landed gentry. Even by the standard of the 1800s, other nations were appalled.

The same absence of duty was evident in the 1960s when nationalists/Catholics were left to live in squallier with basic rights to among other things housing and employment denied to them in an apartheid state ruled by unionists.
    This culminated in the civil rights marches and ultimately a bloody 30 year war.

Idealistic imperial thinking which culminated in Britain leaving the EU clearly shows that Britain has not learnt from its history.

Also, Who thinks the Russian empire was good? I suggest you visit eastern Europe and speak with natives in some of those countries. Be sure to speak loudly in a crowded area when you say the Russian empire was good.
    The Roman Empire was ultimately a great thing for the world.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Well to paraphrase Arthur C Clarke.....Any sufficiently advanced economic concept is indistinguishable from magic......for some ;)
    It is why the people of the Republic don't put them into government because they are idiots economically and as dodgy as an Alistair Campbell dossier.

No need to paraphrase him, directly quote him:

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible

No need to paraphrase him, directly quote him:

Yeah, I was really only interested in the Third Law, but feel free to quote the others.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

I`m not even sure that he`s achieving his own goal of blocking out the name.
    I`d still be able to make out the street name.

And it'll still be Victoria Street on Google Maps etc...

storker wrote: »
    And it'll still be Victoria Street on Google Maps etc...

I wonder if he painted out the "Victoria" in the Irish language translation part?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

FFS... Look what happens when you let Rolf Harris out for the weekend.

"Can ye giss what it is yet!"

Painter.jpg

FFS... Look what happens when you let Rolf Harris out for the weekend.

"Can ye giss what it is yet!"

Painter.jpg

Well at least they took their health and safety seriously with their hi-viz :D

Funny old world too: Banksy vandalises walls making a political point and he's worth millions.
    This guy does it and he 'should be thrown in jail'.

Although I wouldn't condone the act, I do agree that some people in this country need to stop the simpering defence of their 'betters' and the general hat doffing.

But that point will probably not be heard above the faux outrage. The same faux outrage that would have thrown Banksy in jail had he been caught early in his 'career'.

Funny old world too: Banksy vandalises walls making a political point and he's worth millions.
    This guy does it and he 'should be thrown in jail'.

Although I wouldn't condone the act, I do agree that some people in this country need to stop the simpering defence of their 'betters' and the general hat doffing.

But that point will probably not be heard above the faux outrage. The same faux outrage that would have thrown Banksy in jail had he been caught early in his 'career'.

yeah, these guys and Banksy, Maser, Joe Caslin etc are in the same category and worthy of comparison in respect of their artistic, social and political objectives :rolleyes:

Those signs have already probably been unscrewed and will be up for auction before long.

Even as a piece of Irish republican political art its definitely up there with Harrington's Black Herds!

Comparing them to Banksy........best one yet :D:D:D:D:D

yeah, these guys and Banksy, Maser, Joe Caslin etc are in the same category and worthy of comparison in respect of their artistic, social and political objectives :rolleyes:

Those signs have already probably been unscrewed and will be up for auction before long.

Even as a piece of Irish republican political art its definitely up there with Harrington's Black Herds!

Comparing them to Banksy........best one yet :D:D:D:D:D

Essentially, other than your taste in art, what is the difference in what they are doing?

I can't see any other difference than ability/quality.

Rather than mock, could you explain the difference in what he is doing and what most other politically motivated graffiti artists do?
    Why champion Maser or Banksy and not others right to do it.

• Advertisement

Essentially, other than your taste in art, what is the difference in what they are doing?

I can't see any other difference than ability/quality.

Rather than mock, could you explain the difference in what he is doing and what most other politically motivated graffiti artists do?
    Why champion Maser or Banksy and not others right to do it.

Well to be honest, despite being an artistic philistine even I can see the biting commentary and satire in the likes of Banksy's and Maser's work.

Maybe we should regard this a a piece of avant-garde, performance art :D

Definitely as a piece of republican street art applied to make a political point it ranks with the murals in NI. Sure get them boys up to re-do Free Derry Corner given their work on similarly iconic street signs in Cork :D

Well to be honest, despite being an artistic philistine even I can see the biting commentary and satire in the likes of Banksy's and Maser's work.
    That's the 'quality' issue dealt with. And we both agree on that.
    Maybe we should regard this a a piece of avant-garde, performance art :D
    Well, that is the question I asked, what is different in the method/medium?
    Definitely as a piece of republican street art applied to make a political point it ranks with the murals in NI. Sure get them boys up to re-do Free Derry Corner given their work on similarly iconic street signs in Cork :D

Has it stirred debate about the point he is making? I think that is unquestionable.

Banksy wants to send a message, he is a political artist and pretty lousy technically in comparison to others.
    He defaces private and public property.

Again, where is the difference?

That's the 'quality' issue dealt with. And we both agree on that.

Well, that is the question I asked, what is different in the method/medium?

Has it stirred debate about the point he is making? I think that is unquestionable.

Banksy wants to send a message, he is a political artist and pretty lousy technically in comparison to others.
    He defaces private and public property.

Again, where is the difference?

Yeah, you're right - there's no difference between these guys and Banksy :D

I like this Shinner logic, btw, because I play golf so applying the principle above there's no difference between me and Shane Lowry. After all we both have beards and both play golf :)

Yeah, you're right - there's no difference between these guys and Banksy :D

I like this Shinner logic, btw, because I play golf so applying the principle above there's no difference between me and Shane Lowry. After all we both have beards and both play golf :)

There is no difference in what you are doing, both are playing golf.
    We have already agreed on the quality issue.

Should Banksy & Maser be jailed/penalised for the 'method' of their art?

There is no difference in what you are doing, both are playing golf.
    We have already agreed on the quality issue.

Gotta love Shinner logic :D

....although not always - you see whether someone should be jailed/penalised is a matter for the properly constituted courts of the land, not anonymous people.

Personally, if either of those guys want to come paint on my house they are more than welcome - it might boost it's value!! Or maybe just paint the garage doors because they're easier to detach and sell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Arrested and fined. All of them. Heavily depending on the extent of the damage to property.

Arrested and fined. All of them. Heavily depending on the extent of the damage to property.

Crucifixion is too bloody good for them :D

Gotta love Shinner logic :D

....although not always - you see whether someone should be jailed/penalised is a matter for the properly constituted courts of the land, not anonymous people.

Personally, if either of those guys want to come paint on my house they are more than welcome - it might boost it's value!! Or maybe just paint the garage doors because they're easier to detach and sell ;)

So you are the one not being logical here.

Bansky defaces property to make his political statement.

This guy defaces property to make his political statement.

Because one has monetary value it is legitimate.

Hmmm, anyone getting the whiff of a bit of hypocrisy here?

Jawgap would like his house graffitied because the graffiti would add monetary 'value' to his house.

So if somebody is willing to pay for this guys graffiti then it too must be legitimate?

Isn't that the natural conclusion of his position here? Or is he just being selective and an art snob to boot?

• Advertisement

Jawgap would like his house graffitied because the graffiti would add monetary 'value' to his house.

So if somebody is willing to pay for this guys graffiti then it too must be legitimate?

Isn't that the natural conclusion of his position here? Or is he just being selective and an art snob to boot?

Oh dear, you do know there is a difference between my house (private property) and these street signs (public realm)? Hell, Banksy or Maser doesn't event have to ask in advance I'll give my permission retrospectively :D

....and I don't really 'get' these Cork guys' avant garde performance art, but that's just me. Maybe some Shinners would spend money buying their pieces ;)

Advertisement