Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British monarch references painted over on street signs.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well that is obvious because the DUP has said it doesn't want to implement it because of the costs. Its not a conspiracy and the DUP trying to hide it. Its actually part of the election for them.

It's stupid to think the DUP are thinking about the costs considering the blank cheques they signed for sectarian orginisations. Truth is they're bigoted against Irish culture. It's fantastic that there is international recognition for this.
    I wish I could say the Unionist people care that they don't want to implement the Act but I would be lying to you. DUP will clean up and become the largest party exactly because of this demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yes, rather than focus on small scale stupidity and bigotry like what these guys are up to, our focus should be on the large scale institutionalised bigotry. Maybe the faux outrage is being orchestrated to obscure this stuff, 'the last cries of bigoted unionism':

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0116/498160-irish-northern-assembly/

Even my colleagues in England think these guys are bigots. The funny thing is they can't even stand by their convictions. When talking about gays, ethnicities or Irish they manufacture excuses like cost, tradition or the rest, when in reality they just dislike people of different sexuality ect.

I wish I could say the Unionist people care that they don't want to implement the Act but I would be lying to you. DUP will clean up and become the largest party exactly because of this demand.

Not all unionists are bigots mate. A large portion don't vote for this lot.

Not all unionists are bigots mate. A large portion don't vote for this lot.
    Its not a question of 'bigotry'. The DUP dominate Unionist politics at the minute and come the election they will still be the largest party because that is who the Unionist electorate vote for in huge numbers.

Its not a question of 'bigotry'. The DUP dominate Unionist politics at the minute and come the election they will still be the largest party because that is who the Unionist electorate vote for in huge numbers.

What percentage of unionists vote for them?

• Advertisement

What percentage of unionists vote for them?
    Large enough for them to win election after election. I voted UUP candidate in 2015, the DUP candidate still won the Westminster seat. I am not voting because 1) - I know the DUP will win anyway and 2) - Stormont is a diabolical institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ALP the DUP are the party political twins of these guys painting out references to Britain. These guys would not be elected to a parish council in the south, but the DUP are elected by huge numbers, as you say yourself. Says a lot eh?

ALP the DUP are the party political twins of these guys painting out references to Britain. These guys would not be elected to a parish council in the south, but the DUP are elected by huge numbers, as you say yourself. Says a lot eh?
    Sinn Fein can't get close to power in the Republic as the Irish people don't trust them with the economy.

Sinn Fein can't get close to power in the Republic as the Irish people don't trust them with the economy.

What? :):)

What? :):)
    The DUP and Sinn Fein are the deadlock parties. Neither are competent or any good but they suit the society they belong to. Once Sinn Fein enter into a normal political arena which is the Irish Dail, they are terrible and don't win elections. Its a good job no Unionist parties get involved in any ROI elections.

• Advertisement

The DUP and Sinn Fein are the deadlock parties. Neither are competent or any good but they suit the society they belong to. Once Sinn Fein enter into a normal political arena which is the Irish Dail, they are terrible and don't win elections. Its a good job no Unionist parties get involved in any ROI elections.

I'll try again.

ALP the DUP are the party political twins of these guys painting out references to Britain. These guys would not be elected to a parish council in the south, but the DUP are elected by huge numbers, as you say yourself. Says a lot he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Not just the economy, many people here are suspicious of Sinn Fein because they are associated with extreme Republicanism. Some would not go in to government with them. The DUP go in to government with Sinn Fein and yet you have hypocrites here say the DUP are the bigoted ones!

ALP the DUP are the party political twins of these guys painting out references to Britain.

No they are not : the majority of the DUP do not break the law and never broke the law. Those destroying public property (street signs ) are breaking the law.

I'll try again.

ALP the DUP are the party political twins of these guys painting out references to Britain. These guys would not be elected to a parish council in the south, but the DUP are elected by huge numbers, as you say yourself. Says a lot he?

Doesn't say anything as the two regions are just completely different. Different culture, different political system, different electorate, different history, different economy.

Doesn't say anything as the two regions are just completely different. Different culture, different political system, different electorate, different history, different economy.
    The DUP will not tolerate any acceptance of Irish culture, from manhole covers to flags to the Irish language just like these guys will not tolerate British left memorabilia.
    Twins.

The DUP will not tolerate any acceptance of Irish culture, from manhole covers to flags to the Irish language just like these guys will not tolerate British left memorabilia.
    Twins.

There are more Irish flags flying in that part of the UK than there are Union flags flying in this jurisdiction. The tricolour to them is the flag of a foreign jurisdiction, and the flag which draped the coffins of so many terrorists which bombed and murdered their citizens. Not surprised they do not like it. I am not surprised they do not like the Irish language, many here do not like it too much either and do not want to see taxes increased to pay for it.

maryishere wrote: »
    There are more Irish flags flying in that part of the UK than there are Union flags flying in this jurisdiction. The tricolour to them is the flag of a foreign jurisdiction, and the flag which draped the coffins of so many terrorists which bombed and murdered their citizens. Not surprised they do not like it. I am not surprised they do not like the Irish language, many here do not like it too much either and do not want to see taxes increased to pay for it.

So unreasonable twins then.

So unreasonable twins then.

Except one twin breaks the law, and the other twin (like most DUP ) does not.

Except one twin breaks the law, and the other twin (like most DUP ) does not.

You don't need to break the law to be a bigot.

Twins in ideology mary, unreasonable twins and democrats should be against both.
    I know I am.

You don't need to break the law to be a bigot.
    So because some people in the DUP do not want taxes increased to pay for more handouts to the Irish Language, you think all DUP are bigots?

And you do not think the people involved in the Stronge double murder, were bigots, do you? Yes or no?
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-20854772

• Advertisement

So because some people in the DUP do not want taxes increased to pay for more handouts to the Irish Language, you think all DUP are bigots?

And you do not think the people involved in the Stronge double murder, were bigots, do you? Yes or no?
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-20854772

Yes I do think on review of everything the DUP do, that they are bigots.

No, I don't think those who carried out the killings of the Stronges were bigots. They were targeted because of their positions in government and the security forces during a conflict/war. As often happens. See attempts to take out Hitler, Saddam Hussein, the 1916 leaders etc etc etc etc. :rolleyes:

Yes I do think on review of everything the DUP do, that they are bigots.

No, I don't think those who carried out the killings of the Stronges were bigots.

So a gang of 10 who murdered a 87 year old retired man, and set fire to his house afterwards as it was a British type house, were not bigoted? I suppose next you will be saying the Republican "lads" who murder Protestant workmen in the Kingsmill atrocity were not bigoted either?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsmill_massacre

So a gang of 10 who murdered a 87 year old retired man, and set fire to his house afterwards as it was a British type house, were not bigoted? I suppose next you will be saying the Republican "lads" who murder Protestant workmen in the Kingsmill atrocity were not bigoted either?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsmill_massacre

Politically motivated is not the same thing as being inherently bigoted, no.

The conflict/war is over, I see evidence of the inherent bigotry that caused that conflict still in existence. And I am not the only one.

Politically motivated is not the same thing as being inherently bigoted, no.

Most politically motivated people engaged in elections etc. They could and most people did obey the laws of the land and did not murder etc.

Surely murdering innocent workmen, or 87 year old fragile old men and then burning his house, because they were Protestants shows that the murderers were bigoted / is the ultimate manifestation of bigotry? You cannot compare someone who murders to a law abiding person who does not want to pay increased taxes?

Most politically motivated people engaged in elections etc. They could and most people did obey the laws of the land and did not murder etc.

Surely murdering innocent workmen, or 87 year old fragile old men and then burning his house, because they were Protestants shows that the murderers were bigoted / is the ultimate manifestation of bigotry? You cannot compare someone who murders to a law abiding person who does not want to pay increased taxes?

I wasn't making any comparisons, you were. And I am not having the same tired and off topic debate where you cherrypick the events you wish.

I made a comparison between what these guys are doing and what the DUP have been doing which has collapsed the institutions.
    They are identical in aspiration.
    So far you have only come out against one of them.

I made a comparison between what these guys are doing and what the DUP have been doing which has collapsed the institutions.
    It was actually the Shinners who collapsed the institutions : the DUP did not want yet another distracting , wasteful election when there was work to be done.

I have yet to see evidence of the DUP spray painting public signs.

Interesting that you think those who "murdered innocent workmen (eg Kingsmill ) , or 87 year old fragile old men and then burning his house, because they were Protestants " were not bigoted but those who obey the law and engage in politics are, to a man/woman, bigoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

There are more Irish flags flying in that part of the UK than there are Union flags flying in this jurisdiction.

Talking of which, why is the Union flag not flown here on hotels & outside pubs? Always catches my eye in Wales & parts of England just how many hotels & pubs etc fly the Irish tricolour ... then on my return to these shores just how few Union flags you see here :cool:

...considering the massive trade & tourist dependency on the UK.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Talking of which, why is the Union flag not flown here on hotels & outside pubs? Always catches my eye in Wales & parts of England just how many hotels & pubs etc fly the Irish tricolour ... then on my return to these shores just how few Union flags you see here :cool:

Can you show us an example of somewhere that it is missing? I don't know many hotels that do that flag thing so you should be able to narrow it down.
    I seen our flag back to front a few times abroad, does that count on the outrageometer?

LordSutch wrote: »

I think you're seeing an insult where there is none bud. #siegementality.

• Advertisement

It was actually the Shinners who collapsed the institutions : the DUP did not want yet another distracting , wasteful election when there was work to be done.

I have yet to see evidence of the DUP spray painting public signs.

Interesting that you think those who "murdered innocent workmen (eg Kingsmill ) , or 87 year old fragile old men and then burning his house, because they were Protestants " were not bigoted but those who obey the law and engage in politics are, to a man/woman, bigoted.

Ah, the 'bad Republicans, shiny DUP' fantasy. Great.

Advertisement