Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers mentioning/promoting products

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Off topic closed this thread until Monday afternoon.

Edit - reopened Monday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

For all the complaining that's done, I'm glad that they're promoting something positive and beneficial like road safety.
    I find it difficult to comprehend that women can be so silly not to wear their seatbelt correctly (especially given the tan reason!) but if such a campaign can highlight the importance of wearing it, then so be it. It's also refreshing to see the #ad being used. I was away the last few days and didn't really watch anything on Snapchat but perhaps the bloggers have turned a corner and are now recognising the need for transparency! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mad about nuts

For all the complaining that's done, I'm glad that they're promoting something positive and beneficial like road safety.
    I find it difficult to comprehend that women can be so silly not to wear their seatbelt correctly (especially given the tan reason!) but if such a campaign can highlight the importance of wearing it, then so be it. It's also refreshing to see the #ad being used. I was away the last few days and didn't really watch anything on Snapchat but perhaps the bloggers have turned a corner and are now recognising the need for transparency! :)
    I agree,I have seen an awful lot of hashtags the last few days......just goes to show what went undisclosed before. Snapchat content has changed for a few bloggers and its refreshing to see although others have yet to take heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

got my confirmation letter back from the asai today about MUF and her lack of #ad for stuff...
    they really are quick off the mark arnt they... looking forward to seeing the final decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Has anyone ever heard anything back after the confirmation letter? I got one but never heard anything since! It's a bit of putting making a complaint and then not knowing either way the outcome!

• Advertisement

the results are published here i think you do get a follow up letter but i know it can take ages to investigate

http://www.asai.ie/bulletin/171/

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

the results are published here i think you do get a follow up letter but i know it can take ages to investigate

http://www.asai.ie/bulletin/171/

Very good at least when you mention a company and blogger ect to them then they know who to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I didn't watch the video SJ did on her mothers new kitchen, but was it declared as sponsored?
    Maybe she's short on content ideas, but it seems a random thing to do a video of where to buy things in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

I didn't watch the video SJ did on her mothers new kitchen, but was it declared as sponsored?
    Maybe she's short on content ideas, but it seems a random thing to do a video of where to buy things in the kitchen.

She said specifically in the video that it wasn't sponsored and that her parents paid for everything themselves. She did mention Des Kelly repeatedly in the video though but nothing with #ad just that they have looked after them before so not sure what that means but she was clear in saying that it wasn't sponsored.

ratmouse wrote: »
    She said specifically in the video that it wasn't sponsored and that her parents paid for everything themselves. She did mention Des Kelly repeatedly in the video though but nothing with #ad just that they have looked after them before so not sure what that means but she was clear in saying that it wasn't sponsored.

That makes me wonder why she would show her mothers kitchen for no reason seems odd content for a blogger her kitchen maybe but her mothers..
    well If she repeated des Kelly looked after her then that's sponsored has to be #ad I'm sure THE ASAI would see it like that.
    These bloggers try to find so many loopholes to pull the wool over their followers eyes do the not see how obvious they are

• Advertisement

Cria wrote: »
    ratmouse wrote: »

That makes me wonder why she would show her mothers kitchen for no reason seems odd content for a blogger her kitchen maybe but her mothers..
    well If she repeated des Kelly looked after her then that's sponsored has to be #ad I'm sure THE ASAI would see it like that.
    These bloggers try to find so many loopholes to pull the wool over their followers eyes do the not see how obvious they are
    this is the one thing i do disagree with, shouting out to someone you got really good service from isnt an ad, its the same as if i go somewhere and the person i super above and beyond good at their job i will make sure its recognised be it via my own Facebook talking to my friends or letting their management know.
    I dont agree that all bloggers are deliberately pulling the wool over our eyes for ill gotten gains... some are, some are just plain ignorant to the rules but we have to be reasoned as well. not everyone is the devil looking for a freebie...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

this is the one thing i do disagree with, shouting out to someone you got really good service from isnt an ad, its the same as if i go somewhere and the person i super above and beyond good at their job i will make sure its recognised be it via my own Facebook talking to my friends or letting their management know.
    I dont agree that all bloggers are deliberately pulling the wool over our eyes for ill gotten gains... some are, some are just plain ignorant to the rules but we have to be reasoned as well. not everyone is the devil looking for a freebie...

I would agree with you there but when she did the loads of people have been asking about the carpet on my stairs, des kelly was heavily mentioned. So it's not unreasonable to think that they gave the stuff for the kitchen for nothing thanks to the shout out. Though not paid, therefore not sponsored. It's still dodgy though, I just can't trust her anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

did she not say after showing off her own carpets a few weeks back that her auntie works in Des Kelly? or was that someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dolly16

SJ has mentioned des kelly way too many times - hardly from the good of her heart! Might not be a paid #ad but defo something going on there. Glad people are seeing through it all. 

Livedadream do you know her? you seem to stand up for her in previous posts aswel if i am not mistaken (thinking of the dylan posts from last wk that got removed)

If you and I were to give a shoutout for good service we are only talking to a small amount of numbers.
    however sj is talking to a much larger scale and is well aware that shout outs in turn get freebies or payment let's call a spade a spade sj is up there with the likes of muf grace and jj for non Disclosures.
    She knows what influence she has for endlessly talking about the likes of des Kelly.
    And due to the fact she never #ad on anything except the road safety (which I've no doubt was their doing) then every time she mentions a company most people are going to assume it's another promotion.
    I don't think all bloggers are at it just a small amount which is why I get annoyed it ruins it for the genuine bloggers.
    I'll be reporting Suzanne and des Kelly to THE ASAI.

dolly16 wrote: »
    SJ has mentioned des kelly way too many times - hardly from the good of her heart! Might not be a paid #ad but defo something going on there. Glad people are seeing through it all. 

Livedadream do you know her? you seem to stand up for her in previous posts aswel if i am not mistaken (thinking of the dylan posts from last wk that got removed)
    no i dont know her, i only know one semi famous person and he doesnt really so snapchat or paid promotions.
    he's a cook so its mostly promoting his own tv shows books etc.
    I'm only aware of her mentioning the person/company (i dont know if des kelly is a person or like a company named after someone sorry)  as was detailed above.
    and the posts that got removed were because people were attacking her husband and her relationship, get ratty all you like but thats scummy to do to someone wether they #ad or not. i didnt stand up for her, i stood up not making up salacious gossip. thats not me defending someone, thats me not being a douchebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dolly16

oh no relax i'm not getting ratty at all, and agree that idle gossip is scummy.. was just asking :)
    Anyway back on topic now..

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

I personally think that Tara Makeup and that Karen woman should be #ad that waxing class. Theres no way they are giving up a day every week without getting paid. I know they are friends with the owner, but theres been way too much talk for it to be out of the goodness of their heart. They are the only 2 in the "class" so its clearly not the real deal.

heyjude88 wrote: »
    I personally think that Tara Makeup and that Karen woman should be #ad that waxing class. Theres no way they are giving up a day every week without getting paid. I know they are friends with the owner, but theres been way too much talk for it to be out of the goodness of their heart. They are the only 2 in the "class" so its clearly not the real deal.

Who is the Karen woman !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

Cria wrote: »
    Who is the Karen woman !?

Lovelygirleybits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah I found that strange. I don't know anything about Tara, but Karen has a full-time job. Although maybe she's happy to give up two days' annual leave to get a waxing qualification!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

I don't know, they're all best friends aren't they. It's only 2 days in total. I know if my best friend wanted me to give something a go (that I'd get a "qualification" from) I'd definitely give it a go.

I'd imagine the course is worth €200+ so they're getting it for free, on the condition they'd promote it. It's not even a condition I suppose, it is business at the end of the day from Waxperts POV. From the snaps it did look like good craic and it's something different. I don't follow Tara but I follow Karen and she seems to genuinely have liked the course and had fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If you receive a free good or service on the condition you promote it then that should be treated the same as a paid advert.
    Definitely a shady area when the parties involved are friends and might not have an official arrangement but both understand the implications.......

Mekekka wrote: »
    Lovelygirleybits

Thank you, I'm not one bit surprised she was plugging everything with no disclosure when I followed her .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

The amount of freebies that they are given when they stay in a hotel is insane! Jewelry, expensive Champagne, stuff for their kids/dogs, personalized gifts, etc etc.... I just find it mad. I mean I'd LOVE that myself, but when most of the time they arent even paying for the hotel I find the excessive gifting a bit off. Kind of makes me feel that the hotel cares way more for bloggers etc than for actual paying customers (and yes of course I understand it is in exchange for exposure, but then the lack of #ad, #spon etc comes into play), I dont know, I just find it a bit tasteless and excessive. It also makes me want to avoid the brands that gift in this way (whether it's the hotel, or local boutique etc), as they seem to really suck up big time to bloggers and it just lowers them in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

In fairness to Karen, she said on snapchat a while ago saying she was given that course for free and she was sorry that she didn't disclose properly

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Wexy86

Ray37 wrote: »
    The amount of freebies that they are given when they stay in a hotel is insane!

Do you know if SJ said at some stage in the past few days that she was going to the hotel or does the hotel contact local businesses prior to her arrival? The amount of freebies she gets when staying in hotels is ridiculous, I'd love to see what she does with it all because you never see the items a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Wexy86 wrote: »
    Do you know if SJ said at some stage in the past few days that she was going to the hotel or does the hotel contact local businesses prior to her arrival? The amount of freebies she gets when staying in hotels is ridiculous, I'd love to see what she does with it all because you never see the items a second time.

The only time you do is when she wants another... cough cough the bomber jacket she took an iron to and melted.

I'm really curious about this too. I suppose for workshops its obvious but even for "random" nights away there always seems to be a load of stuff. I'd love to know how word gets out.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

In fairness to Karen, she said on snapchat a while ago saying she was given that course for free and she was sorry that she didn't disclose properly

Did she just say that today? I don't follow her. If so, she's obviously reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Did she just say that today? I don't follow her. If so, she's obviously reading this thread.

She said someone sent her a message about it. She did say on the first day of the course it was free, and she said yesterday that she forgot to say it on the second day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement