Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers mentioning/promoting products

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BeeMee_123

ah not working, Thank you any who Cria

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

ratmouse wrote: »
    Yeah, I've no idea either.

Teacher blogger is the beautiful truth

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Anybody know if James Kavanaghs "sex ed Tuesdays" are sponsored?
    He does seem to be promoting some bits..

I think it's a great thing that he's doing it, just wondering about his motivation behind it

I think it started out as non sponsored and an off the cuff idea but due to the reaction some brands seem to be getting on board for sponsorship. Last week he talked about testing and the 'let's get checked' kit where he only received the kit during the week.

I agree and think it's great to see someone with such a high audience especially younger adults talk about sexual education and lack there of. If only more used their social presence for highlighting importing items like this every now and then rather than skinny teas, carpets and the likes :D

Anyone else beginning to feel like the term "brand ambassador" is in some ways a clever means of avoiding declaration of a brand or product sponsorship/ad and the rules and regs that go with it them? Wands blogger seems to have an awful lot of companies that she is a brand ambassador for and in the case of some brands, it's more than just her being a brand ambassador, e.g., in the case of a teeth whitening company, it's both her and nurse blogger who travels that are brand ambassadors and in the case of tea-tox company, it's her and another MUA who are both brand ambassadors. Just seems a bit odd to me.

I really feel by saying they are brand ambassadors they are looking for a loophole not to say #ad. They are contracted to post so much stuff on social media they are paid to do that so why is that not an ad.

The make up fairy is doing that a lot with brands and it's looking like she's trying to get out of being transparent.

BeeMee_123 wrote: »
    ah not working, Thank you any who Cria

It should what's happening when you press reply. Are you seeing the other persons comment with things like quote written after it. If you are just start typing in your response and just click post reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Anyone else beginning to feel like the term "brand ambassador" is in some ways a clever means of avoiding declaration of a brand or product sponsorship/ad and the rules and regs that go with it them? Wands blogger seems to have an awful lot of companies that she is a brand ambassador for and in the case of some brands, it's more than just her being a brand ambassador, e.g., in the case of a teeth whitening company, it's both her and nurse blogger who travels that are brand ambassadors and in the case of tea-tox company, it's her and another MUA who are both brand ambassadors. Just seems a bit odd to me.
    Through my work in finance a few years ago a client with a beauty product/service had a brand ambassador, or celebrity ambassador. This was before bloggers and all of that stuff. The person was a "celebrity" (I think, I dunno never heard of her and can't remember her name). AFAIK she/her PR company were paid fees for her appearances and photoshoots. Again this was before social media got so popular like this so none of the instagram/fb/snapchat posts and the like were involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Wexy86 wrote: »
    I think it started out as non sponsored and an off the cuff idea but due to the reaction some brands seem to be getting on board for sponsorship. Last week he talked about testing and the 'let's get checked' kit where he only received the kit during the week.

I agree and think it's great to see someone with such a high audience especially younger adults talk about sexual education and lack there of. If only more used their social presence for highlighting importing items like this every now and then rather than skinny teas, carpets and the likes :D

Agree that it's good to see someone using their social platform for this kind of useful info and promotion. Sure leading blogger seems to think that giving out start of the week cocktail recipes (with no mention of being drink-aware ) a good idea with such a large young following. Perhaps promotion of certain items by bloggers need to have more than just the #ad or #spon mentioned in addition to actual health style warnings too.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Through my work in finance a few years ago a client with a beauty product/service had a brand ambassador, or celebrity ambassador. This was before bloggers and all of that stuff. The person was a "celebrity" (I think, I dunno never heard of her and can't remember her name). AFAIK she/her PR company were paid fees for her appearances and photoshoots. Again this was before social media got so popular like this so none of the instagram/fb/snapchat posts and the like were involved.

It strange that it's been around a few years now and it takes speaking up to activate the rules? I understand gifted items do not have to be #ad but the more honest the blogger the better. Loved Rosemary's chat about Lloyds & will trust her opinion because she believes in what she's advertising not just doing it for money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think brand ambassador is more that they are paid for continuous brand promotion, on various platforms, different products. They are probably paid fixed preagreed sum periodically. I would guess the contract possibly limits them from featuring direct competitors. The other is charging per snap, twit or whatever for specific product/service. I would think that if you are paid to promote the brand then the content should be marked as ad. I can't see how being brand ambassador would absolve you of that.

That being said I am guessing I have no direct knowledge about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I'm a big fan of his. But I also feel like in some way we are being harsh on the female bloggers and never berating the male ones. He has never ever said ad for anything and seems to promote plenty of things. I really don't think it's all for nothing. Even the Siucra ginger bread house building, none of the men called it an ad on snapchat, only Rosemary did.

Then again, I don't know that he actually writes a personal blog, so I'm not sure if the rules are different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

I'm a big fan of his. But I also feel like in some way we are being harsh on the female bloggers and never berating the male ones. He has never ever said ad for anything and seems to promote plenty of things. I really don't think it's all for nothing. Even the Siucra ginger bread house building, none of the men called it an ad on snapchat, only Rosemary did.

Then again, I don't know that he actually writes a personal blog, so I'm not sure if the rules are different.
    to be fair hes only of the only snapchatters i follow and he did a thing for centra wines before christmas and very clearly did say it was an ad or sponsored and had the drink aware hashtag and everything, he is usual very good for his first snap being before i do this this is an ad ive been given the wine to try by centra and blaa blaa the same with some other product that i clicked through coz id no interest.
    he does get sent SO MUCH FREE STUFF! i can see why its so popular...

i feel like i should add, i dont know how i feel about people being given free stuff and then promoting it, i mean james K does say ive been sent this or that so you know he didnt buy it.
    its the ones who go oh i got this and its fab when they have clearly all been sent the same thing to promote i find shady...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

He has no shame at all! I have seen him advertising loads of things over the last year and NEVER with #ad.

to be fair hes only of the only snapchatters i follow and he did a thing for centra wines before christmas and very clearly did say it was an ad or sponsored and had the drink aware hashtag and everything, he is usual very good for his first snap being before i do this this is an ad ive been given the wine to try by centra and blaa blaa the same with some other product that i clicked through coz id no interest.
    he does get sent SO MUCH FREE STUFF! i can see why its so popular...

That's good that he puts in #drinksware. Leading blogger was well able to insert #alcohol on her Monday cocktail post but no sign of #drinkaware. Irresponsible imo

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think brand ambassador is more that they are paid for continuous brand promotion, on various platforms, different products. They are probably paid fixed preagreed sum periodically. I would guess the contract possibly limits them from featuring direct competitors. The other is charging per snap, twit or whatever for specific product/service. I would think that if you are paid to promote the brand then the content should be marked as ad. I can't see how being brand ambassador would absolve you of that.

I think the above is a fair assumption.

I have been reading the various threads regarding bloggers etc with interest and I can see how hiring influencers can have a negative effect on some companies.

What would you like to see from a companies point of view using influencers and transparency.

The reason I ask as I have a client who is looking to possible use one.

And any tips would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have to say my snapchat has quietened down so much this past week. There is little or no I got this this and this on the accounts I follow (which to be fair aren't the big popular full time bloggers). But I think smaller time bloggers have now become very self conscious of what and how they are posting. One blogger even had up on facebook a few days ago that she was approached to do a sponsored post about something that fits in her blog but was worried about black lash and wanted her followers views on it.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I have to say my snapchat has quietened down so much this past week. There is little or no I got this this and this on the accounts I follow (which to be fair aren't the big popular full time bloggers). But I think smaller time bloggers have now become very self conscious of what and how they are posting. One blogger even had up on facebook a few days ago that she was approached to do a sponsored post about something that fits in her blog but was worried about black lash and wanted her followers views on it.

About time though that they changed their approach

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

I normally watch snapchat when I get into bed at night or on the train to work. I never used to get through the snaps or else it would take a good while. The end of last week and this week has been so quiet. Not much going on at all. Its refreshing really. Hopefully they do realise that what they were snapping about was putting people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Not meaning to play devils advocate here but it could be that brands aren't pushing new products as much in January compared to the rest of the year after having the big Christmas push during November and December. I'm not an expert in brands at all, honest but that's just from my perspective. It will be interesting to see if that changes by the end of January going into February when we are transitioning into spring and new products start to appear from most of the iconic beauty brands etc and if the snaps start to increase with bloggers plugging samples of new products again and how they go about it.

i feel like i should add, i dont know how i feel about people being given free stuff and then promoting it, i mean james K does say ive been sent this or that so you know he didnt buy it.
    its the ones who go oh i got this and its fab when they have clearly all been sent the same thing to promote i find shady...

What I don't like about them
    Being sent free stuff is they never have anything negative to say.
    This makes me think they say it's amazing to get more free stuff sent, also after showing it on Snapchat they never follow up.
    I know some say they don't speak about what they don't like.
    I feel they should as it makes them more honest don't plug what you like and not discuss what you don't. Have some balance.

• Advertisement

capefear wrote: »
    meeeeh wrote: »

I think the above is a fair assumption.

I have been reading the various threads regarding bloggers etc with interest and I can see how hiring influencers can have a negative effect on some companies.

What would you like to see from a companies point of view using influencers and transparency.

The reason I ask as I have a client who is looking to possible use one.

And any tips would be appreciated

I would like to see honest reviews of the goods or services. I am much more prone to purchase/ pay for something if the person reviewing is known for their honesty i.e. If they are being paid to promote something #ad or if they are giving a glowing review say they got it for free if so.

A_smurf wrote: »
    Not meaning to play devils advocate here but it could be that brands aren't pushing new products as much in January compared to the rest of the year after having the big Christmas push during November and December. I'm not an expert in brands at all, honest but that's just from my perspective. It will be interesting to see if that changes by the end of January going into February when we are transitioning into spring and new products start to appear from most of the iconic beauty brands etc and if the snaps start to increase with bloggers plugging samples of new products again and how they go about it.

That's not a bad point actually. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see how things are in the next couple of months. I think that the likes of the leading blogger won't care either way and might do what she likes. She's all about promoting her product range more than blogging these days anyway imo. The smaller bloggers might have more of a sense of fear of being caught out for doing something wrong and might pay more heed to the regs a bit more going forward. Main blogger will possibly become an ambassador for even more companies (yawn) and top blogger will be a huge success on radio with her new show slot about her "world".

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

That's not a bad point actually. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see how things are in the next couple of months. I think that the likes of the leading blogger won't care either way and might do what she likes. She's all about promoting her product range more than blogging these days anyway imo. The smaller bloggers might have more of a sense of fear of being caught out for doing something wrong and might pay more heed to the regs a bit more going forward. Main blogger will possibly become an ambassador for even more companies (yawn) and top blogger will be a huge success on radio with her new show slot about her "world". God help us.

OMG, who got a new radio slot!?!!?!?

Lunaarli wrote: »

So Sue Me...... Twice a month on Q102 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Babyspice13

Lunaarli wrote: »

Suzanne Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

anna080 wrote: »
    Delighted this thread allows us now to name the non transparent bloggers.

To be fair you should also use it as an opportunity to praise bloggers who you believe are doing it right. Two sides to every story.

Who is the blogger promoting wine today? Looked through some that I follow and have seen nothing? thanks

Are you thinking of James kavanagh? I mentioned him promoting wine but it was before Christmas.

Who's main blogger?
    Sorry the only ones I really know are James k the blonde one from cork (Jordan?) and so sue me... don't follow anyone else

dudara wrote: »
    To be fair you should also use it as an opportunity to praise bloggers who you believe are doing it right. Two sides to every story.

I think that Louise Cooney and Love Lauren are two excellent bloggers. Their pictures alone look so professional and of such high end quality that the supposed leading bloggers should feel embarrassed in contrast. Their style is classy and Love Lauren in particular has a collaboration with Penny's afaik and looks fantastic in their bits and pieces. To me, their accounts look to be in a similar league to the international big names such as Sincerely Jules. Someone mentioned in the thread closed prior to this one that they think that the lives of these girls seem boring and dull. Well to be honest, I'd rather look at their beautifully snapped posts, genuinely classy fashion items and some nice snaps of our beautiful capital as captured by them rather than watch a blogger eat pizza in bed or doing a handstand in their sitting room.

• Advertisement

Are you thinking of James kavanagh? I mentioned him promoting wine but it was before Christmas.

Who's main blogger?
    Sorry the only ones I really know are James k the blonde one from cork (Jordan?) and so sue me... don't follow anyone else

Somebody said someone was giving out cocktail tips today. Sorry i got mixed up with wine :D

Just wondering who that was.

No idea who top blogger is, must be So Sue or Pippa I presume.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement