Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers mentioning/promoting products

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Anything that you receive as a "gift" and snap/blog about is an ad, anything you receive payment to promote(Company or product) is an ad.
    If you don't part with your own cash it's an ad, even then if you are associated with a brand and receive payment for X but then buy their product Y yourself and snap/blog about it that should be tagged as an ad to cover yourself.

It's not rocket science, these are all grown adults and know exactly what they're doing..

Oh and sitting in branded clothes for a company you're probably "associated" with while snapping....yup ad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Ginny wrote: »
    Anything that you receive as a "gift" and snap/blog about is an ad, anything you receive payment to promote(Company or product) is an ad.
    If you don't part with your own cash it's an ad, even then if you are associated with a brand and receive payment for X but then buy their product Y yourself and snap/blog about it that should be tagged as an ad to cover yourself.

It's not rocket science, these are all grown adults and know exactly what they're doing..

Oh and sitting in branded clothes for a company you're probably "associated" with while snapping....yup ad....

That's not how ASAI see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

anna080 wrote: »
    Should they #ad when promoting their own make up lines and clothing? I think they should tbh.

If they receive payment from their company (if they have one) to promote the goods, then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

SB_Part2 wrote: »

I've been looking for the guidelines on the ASAI website and can't find them? But yea they don't see free as #ad.

I don't think talking about their own products should be seen as #ad because it's always known it is their product and they aren't paying themselves to promote it! That's just my opinion I know plenty will disagree tho!

Yeah I know that needs addressing but we all know they're ads. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah I know that needs addressing but we all know they're ads. :)

I don't agree. They could just like the product. I've often been giving free food and not mentioned it because it was crap but I'll mention nice food.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BeeMee_123

SB_Part2

I don't agree with this, the point of having a blog and giving reviews is that you review good AND BAD.

Is it because you are sent this for free that you do not want it to have a negative impact on getting future freebies therefore you don't give a review?

I however don't agree that you should #ad for your own products, I think this is a bit of a silly complaint. If thats the case every company that posts or talks about there products needs to do this?

Do you mention it's free?

For me it's down to the intention of the company providing the "free" item, they're providing it hoping it will be promoted, they don't offer the same free items to ordinary member of the public. They give it hoping it will be promoted by someone with a platform so to me that's an ad.

I don't think #ad needs to be used for a persons own products, their name is usually splashed all over them anyway, and sure we all know they're getting paid from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don't agree. They could just like the product. I've often been giving free food and not mentioned it because it was crap but I'll mention nice food.

Why don't you mention it if it's crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Was going to ask the same question, just out of curiosity.

• Advertisement

I don't see the point really. I'm more about "here's some nice places to eat" rather than "avoid this place". I don't bother writing posts that are 100% negative.

If someone, however, asked me if I'd been to that place I'd say yes and that I didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

idunno78 wrote: »
    I've been looking for the guidelines on the ASAI website and can't find them? But yea they don't see free as #ad.

I don't think talking about their own products should be seen as #ad because it's always known it is their product and they aren't paying themselves to promote it! That's just my opinion I know plenty will disagree tho!

Competition and consumer protection commission look for disclosures if bloggers are provided free products according to the ASAI
    Read the last paragraph

http://www.asai.ie/wp-content/uploads/ASAI-Guidance-Note-on-Recognisability-in-advertising-V1-Nov-16.pdf

But why wouldn't you mention it if it was crap.
    if you feel the need to tell followers how great something is we also want to hear what's not great.
    it's all about balance and makes a follower trust you more.
    I for one do not trust any blogger who constantly plugs brands and they're all amazing.
    I want complete honesty.

Do you mention it's free?

For me it's down to the intention of the company providing the "free" item, they're providing it hoping it will be promoted, they don't offer the same free items to ordinary member of the public. They give it hoping it will be promoted by someone with a platform so to me that's an ad.

I don't think #ad needs to be used for a persons own products, their name is usually splashed all over them anyway, and sure we all know they're getting paid from them.
    I was only thinking the other day for instance Rosie Connolly and just Jordan promote Suzanne Jacksons clothing range should that not be #ad

I don't see the point really. I'm more about "here's some nice places to eat" rather than "avoid this place". I don't bother writing posts that are 100% negative.

If someone, however, asked me if I'd been to that place I'd say yes and that I didn't like it.

You don't have to say avoid this place though, food is completely subjective. You could just detail your impression of whatever you had and say what you liked and didn't like. I think it's most evident from this thread that blog readers want balance

If people follow you for your opinion then we want to hear it all good or bad.
    Otherwise most people's opinions especially these days, would be he/she only does positive reviews for free food ect.
    By giving a negative they must be afraid of losing the privilege of companies offering free food or items.

Cria wrote: »
    Competition and consumer protection commission look for disclosures if bloggers are provided free products according to the ASAI
    Read the last paragraph

http://www.asai.ie/wp-content/uploads/ASAI-Guidance-Note-on-Recognisability-in-advertising-V1-Nov-16.pdf

Thanks Cria. Couldn't remember what section it was in!

You don't have to say avoid this place though, food is completely subjective. You could just detail your impression of whatever you had and say what you liked and didn't like. I think it's most evident from this thread that blog readers want balance

Why would you bother writing a blog about food and write about the places you liked.
    And then only if someone asks have you been there would you mention it's crap. What's the point in having a blog if you don't mention all the places you've been. If I refer to a blog for an opinion on restaurants I want to know what you didn't like so i can avoid it and save myself money

I was only thinking the other day for instance Rosie Connolly and just Jordan promote Suzanne Jacksons clothing range should that not be #ad

So did Rosemary MacCabe who always discloses and follows the rules. She didn't have #ad but did say she was asked would she like to try them and said yes. Because they were sent as PR samples they wouldn't need #ad because they aren't getting paid!

idunno78 wrote: »
    Thanks Cria. Couldn't remember what section it was in!

No problem it is an ad . There was three companies mentioned by facesbygrace this morning no #ad free publicity for the company free items for blogger.

Same with Rosie Connolly yesterday restaurants mentioned along with products again no #ad.

• Advertisement

Why would you bother writing a blog about food and write about the places you liked.
    And then only if someone asks have you been there would you mention it's crap. What's the point in having a blog if you don't mention all the places you've been. If I refer to a blog for an opinion on restaurants I want to know what you didn't like so i can avoid it and save myself money

True. I wouldnt really call it a food blog in that case, more a "here's nice places I like to eat for free" blog.

True. I wouldnt really call it a food blog in that case, more a "here's nice places I like to eat for free" blog.

I pay for 90% of the food I eat Anna. So your statement is flawed.

There are plenty of posts on my blog where I've said I didn't like a restaurant and wouldn't go back.

I'm specifically talking about food I've had for free. I was invited to a hotel/restaurant and the food and hotel was meh. I wouldn't bother telling people "Don't go to this hotel" because the hotel wouldn't be on anyone's radar. It would be giving the hotel negative publicity for the sake of it.

Edit: To add to this. There was about 10 bloggers (Food bloggers) invited and only 1 blogger mentioned it on their blog and that's because she was brand new to blogging. Everyone else felt the same way as me. The food was so bad is wasn't worth mentioning on social media given that the hotel was just starting out. In this case it's more productive to talk to the hotel and say what you though so they can make changes.

I pay for 90% of the food I eat Anna. So your statement is flawed.

There are plenty of posts on my blog where I've said I didn't like a restaurant and wouldn't go back.

I'm specifically talking about food I've had for free. I was invited to a hotel/restaurant and the food and hotel was meh. I wouldn't bother telling people "Don't go to this hotel" because the hotel wouldn't be on anyone's radar. It would be giving the hotel negative publicity for the sake of it.

Edit: To add to this. There was about 10 bloggers (Food bloggers) invited and only 1 blogger mentioned it on their blog and that's because she was brand new to blogging. Everyone else felt the same way as me. The food was so bad is wasn't worth mentioning on social media given that the hotel was just starting out. In this case it's more productive to talk to the hotel and say what you though so they can make changes.

I disagree. If it was so bad, it should be written about irrespective of how newly established it may be.

ratmouse wrote: »
    I disagree. If it was so bad, it should be written about irrespective of how newly established it may be.

So you can avoid somewhere that you had no intention of going to in the first place?

So you can avoid somewhere that you had no intention of going to in the first place?

How can you assume people have no intention of going there? I find that comment quote ignorant. Unless the place is in outer space I wouldn't assume people aren't going to go there

How can you assume people have no intention of going there? I find that comment quote ignorant. Unless the place is in outer space I wouldn't assume people aren't going to go there

I can 100% guarantee you that my readers would have no intention of going. My readers are based in Dublin. This hotel was outside of Dublin and anyone I've ever mentioned it to since has said "where??".

Edit: In fact, someone just pm'd me and then followed up with "Never heard of it" :D

SB I find it telling that you've no problem giving negative reviews if you've paid for it youself but won't give negative reviews if it's a freebie. Sounds to me like you won't do it incase it prevents more freebies. You do know the majority of the public pay for services with money right? We don't get the privilege of freebies, and so would like to know where to avoid.

I can 100% guarantee you that my readers would have no intention of going. My readers are based in Dublin. This hotel was outside of Dublin and anyone I've ever mentioned it to since has said "where??".

????

People who perhaps intend on going there may google the name and be brought to you review and it could be helpful in that respect in deciding.

SB I find it telling that you've no problem giving negative reviews if you've paid for it youself but won't give negative reviews if it's a freebie. Sounds to me like you won't do it incase it prevents more freebies. You do know the majority of the public pay for services with money right? We don't get the privilege of freebies, and so would like to know where to avoid.

Here you go:
    http://whatorlaate.com/flash-harrys/

Scroll down to the end there and look at the update. A negative update of somewhere I was given food free initially.

Now what else would you like to try to get a dig in about?

• Advertisement

What, this hotel's objective is to have no potential customers ever? I'm sure some might have intention of going.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement