Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers mentioning/promoting products

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    No but I'm a decent human being.

There are professionals who provide that service. They are not referred to as bloggers.

I'm assuming you blog for fun, as in it's not your full time job (apologies if that is incorrect, I'm not familiar with you), or are there in a dual capacity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

There are professionals who provide that service. They are not referred to as bloggers.

I'm assuming you blog for fun, as in it's not your full time job (apologies if that is incorrect, I'm not familiar with you), or are there in a dual capacity?

It's my blog and I can write what I want. If I don't want to post a negative review about a new hotel/restaurant then that's my prerogative. It would turn me off a blogger if I read a post about them being overly negative about something without giving it a chance (for example: CWTH complaining about MUF brushes without actually trying the brushes) so I wouldn't do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

dudara wrote: »
    Several factors here. I eat out multiple times a week. Most are OK, some are good or really good and a few are clangers.

Now, I don't have time to mention everywhere I've eaten. I have to be selective in which posts I write (and I tend to post once per week maximum). So I choose those which are worth mentioning. And because the standard is really good in general at the moment, it's mainly all positive reviews.

There's no point in giving a negative review to a restaurant just for the sake of it. If you do give a negative review, it needs to be fair and constructive. That takes time to write and craft.

To be clear: I do not write blog reviews in return for meals. I consider that commercial influence on my blog, and I don't do it. I do occasionally get given extra courses or free drinks because the restaurateur or chef knows me, and they know that I'll give them honest feedback on the item. But that doesn't influence anything I write. I have a good reputation doing what I do, my opinion and knowledge is trusted and I wouldn't do anything to damage that.

I commend you for that, that's exactly what people are looking for in bloggers across the board. Honesty doesn't have to be harsh just constructive.
    The fact that you eat out a few times a week and enjoy writing about it is brilliant because it's your passion.
    You can really tell the difference between blogs doing it because they enjoy it and blogs that do it for payment or a freebie.
    The fact you don't want freebies because you don't want it to influence you is a breath of fresh air.
    No one would ever begrudge you a free meal once you stay true to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Without giving the hotel a chance to rectify the issue?

That's not your job. Would you be happy if a beauty blogger was sent a load of rubbish (expensive to buy) make up that didn't live up to standard and their excuse was "the company is only starting out, give them a chance". No! It's the job of the blogger to review the products!

anna080 wrote: »
    That's not your job. Would you be happy if a beauty blogger was sent a load of rubbish (expensive to buy) make up that didn't live up to standard and their excuse was "the company is only starting out, give them a chance". No! It's the job of the blogger to review the products!

TBH I think there's a huge difference between food and a mass produced beauty product. Food can be easily changed. A mass produced product can't.

And saying it's not my job - it's my blog. I can write what I want. My job isn't to just write negative reviews either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

It's my blog and I can write what I want. If I don't want to post a negative review about a new hotel/restaurant then that's my prerogative. It would turn me off a blogger if I read a post about them being overly negative about something without giving it a chance (for example: CWTH complaining about MUF brushes without actually trying the brushes) so I wouldn't do it myself.

Good blog by the way. It's just after lunch and I am already feeling hungry after looking at your blog! Well written and great pics. If some of the top fashion/beauty bloggers could write even half as well.....

Are you familiar with the phrase "stay in your lane"? What lane are you in? Are you some kind of management consultant or are you a blogger? It's not very clear for what you are saying.

I've never before heard a blogger saying they made recommendations to a company after reviewing a product unless they were working with the company.

And if they were working with the company, well then that's an ad or a commercial relationship at least.

TBH I think there's a huge difference between food and a mass produced beauty product. Food can be easily changed. A mass produced product can't.

And saying it's not my job - it's my blog. I can write what I want. My job isn't to just write negative reviews either.

How will the food place know they need to change if you've never let them know.

Cwth purchased them online and it wasn't true to what was advertised in the photo.
    She was well within her rights to return. I have seen them in true life and not only was the bag nothing like the photo the brushes were tiny.
    She paid big money for them and didn't feel they were value for money

Are you familiar with the phrase "stay in your lane"? What lane are you in? Are you some kind of management consultant or are you a blogger? It's not very clear for what you are saying.

I've never before heard a blogger saying they made recommendations to a company after reviewing a product unless they were working with the company.

And if they were working with the company, well then that's an ad or a commercial relationship at least.

I'm actually done replying to you. I'll say it again: I can write what I feel like writing on my blog. If I don't want to write a 100% negative review about a new restaurant then I won't.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    How will the food place know they need to change if you've never let them know.

I always tell a place in person if I don't like their food. Always. I did this before I had a blog.

ratmouse wrote: »
    Does anyone know if fairy blogger is being sponsored by/has collaborations with sport's brands such as Nike and Puma? Constantly tagging them but unsure if she buys the items herself. The gym gear seems to be a brand new outfit on a daily basis .
    She's advertising them a lot lately she gets them sent free to her as far as I remember. There we go again no #ad

Cria wrote: »
    She's advertising them a lot lately she gets them sent free to her as far as I remember. There we go again no #ad

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too .

They were the main feature (along with a tacky looking (imo) LV rucksack) in her airport post earlier . Looks like a constant promotion of these brands or maybe she just loves them, buys them herself and shows them. Who knows?

I'm actually done replying to you. I'll say it again: I can write what I feel like writing on my blog. If I don't want to write a 100% negative review about a new restaurant then I won't.

You can write what you like, God speed. But you're on a thread in which bloggers are being scrutinised, you as a blogger are open to scrutiny too and not addressing queries make you look less than transparent.

I don't follow you. You appear, from what you are saying, to be some kind of self appointed consultant making recommendations to businesses.

You hardly think a follow up review can be accepted as impartial if the business has implemented your recommendations and the food is still not up to scratch.

And I never asked you to write negative reviews. I'll say it again too, I don't follow you so it's irrelevant to me. I'm just trying to clarify your role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

I loved how Rosemary done her Lloyds #ad today but does anyone know when she snapped the stand of make up(I think it was make up) with #ad on it does that mean they asked her to snap it? I trust Rosemarys views, Sharon Leavy, Laura's Views - all seem like the most honest in the blogging world!
    I think lately seeing a blogger review something gives me zero encouragement to buy the item. It actually puts me off if anything.

I agree Sasha . There's actually certain products that I've been turned off because I don't trust the blogger associated with them or blogging about them, proving that brand ambassadors can actually have a negative impact on the company they are working with. I've heard many people utter the same sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I commend you for that, that's exactly what people are looking for in bloggers across the board. Honesty doesn't have to be harsh just constructive.
    The fact that you eat out a few times a week and enjoy writing about it is brilliant because it's your passion.
    You can really tell the difference between blogs doing it because they enjoy it and blogs that do it for payment or a freebie.
    The fact you don't want freebies because you don't want it to influence you is a breath of fresh air.
    No one would ever begrudge you a free meal once you stay true to yourself.

Thank you. I think you've done a good job there of understanding my approach to all this. I didn't start blogging for free meals and trust me, it took quite a whil before the offers of free meals etc started coming in. I write about food and drink because I love it (and I have the waistline sometimes to show it!). I'm very lucky to have a well-paid job and be able to treat this as a hobby / passion.

I'm always open to suggestions for improvement, and in the same spirit as SB_Part2, here's my blog address.

www.stitchandbear.com

I agree Sasha . There's actually certain products that I've been turned off because I don't trust the blogger associated with them or blogging about them, proving that brand ambassadors can actually have a negative impact on the company they are working with. I've heard many people utter the same sentiment.

I'm the same. I think the idea of a brand ambassador is a bit weird.

I know car companies give sports stars free cars but I don't recall them ever having their name printed on the side of the car.

• Advertisement

I know car companies give sports stars free cars but I don't recall them ever having their name printed on the side of the car.

I know, it's weird alright. I'd be more concerned if I was that car company, giving a car to a blogger and having their brand name associated with that blogger if the blogger was to hypothetically break the rules of the road by, for e.g. not displaying their 'N' plates whilst driving.Just saying.

I know, it's weird alright. I'd be more concerned if I was that car company, giving a car to a blogger and having their brand name associated with that blogger if the blogger was to hypothetically break the rules of the road by, for e.g. not displaying their 'N' plates .Just saying.

OMG yes. I had completely forgotten about this. I wonder does she take them off for her pictures or just doesn't have them on at all? It really doesn't paint a good picture for younger followers who might think there's some sort of shame associated with having N plates.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Same here actually ordered items today and didn't go with my usual supplier as they're now supplying freebies to a blogger. I wouldn't mind but they don't need the publicity in the Irish market.

As bad as other bloggers promoting drink to young audiences. Do these bloggers never consider the messages they send to their under 18 years audiences?

Thank you. I think you've done a good job there of understanding my approach to all this. I didn't start blogging for free meals and trust me, it took quite a whil before the offers of free meals etc started coming in. I write about food and drink because I love it (and I have the waistline sometimes to show it!). I'm very lucky to have a well-paid job and be able to treat this as a hobby / passion.

I'm always open to suggestions for improvement, and in the same spirit as SB_Part2, here's my blog address.

www.stitchandbear.com

Had a snoop! Great blog .Love the layout and,like SB's, love the pics too. Like how it includes international reviews also!

They were the main feature (along with a tacky looking (imo) LV rucksack) in her airport post earlier . Looks like a constant promotion of these brands or maybe she just loves them, buys them herself and shows them. Who knows?

She plugs that much and she's now 'celebrity status' it wouldn't be done for nothing.

www.stitchandbear.com

Your blog looks gorgeous. Very impressive

www.stitchandbear.com

Well I'll be following your blog now because I like your approach. You have one thing the other 'top' bloggers don't have is that you have stuck to what you started out to do.
    Write about what you enjoy and still enjoy it and you don't do it for personal gain.
    As a follower you can really see through theses bloggers.
    I hate to call them bloggers because they are not and shouldn't be placed in a category with you.
    All they do is snap and sporadically update their blogs.
    And unfortunately they give a bad name to genuine people like yourself.

The free car with the name printed on the side I can't get my head around that.
    Is that even allowed here's a free car with your name on it drive it around put it on all social platforms does that not breach the advertising guidelines.

• Advertisement

Well I'll be following your blog now because I like your approach. You have one thing the other 'top' bloggers don't have is that you have stuck to what you started out to do.
    Write about what you enjoy and still enjoy it and you don't do it for personal gain.
    As a follower you can really see through theses bloggers.
    I hate to call them bloggers because they are not and shouldn't be placed in a category with you.
    All they do is snap and sporadically update their blogs.
    And unfortunately they give a bad name to genuine people like yourself.

Dudara also has another thing the other bloggers, in particular the top blogger, doesn't have and that's the ability to write, creatively and in a grammatically correct fashion too and without the use of the "thumbs up" emoji as the only means of being able to describe and review something . A firm handle on the English language should be the most basic prerequisite for someone "writing" a blog. Only in Ireland is the top fashion/beauty blogger seriously lacking in this department and I mean, severely lacking. Even spell check and auto correct cannot save that particular blogger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement