Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers mentioning/promoting products

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

ratmouse wrote: »
    I think that Louise Cooney and Love Lauren are two excellent bloggers. Their pictures alone look so professional and of such high end quality that the supposed leading bloggers should feel embarrassed in contrast. Their style is classy and Love Lauren in particular has a collaboration with Penny's afaik and looks fantastic in their bits and pieces. To me, their accounts look to be in a similar league to the international big names such as Sincerely Jules. Someone mentioned in the thread closed prior to this one that they think that the lives of these girls seem boring and dull. Well to be honest, I'd rather look at their beautifully snapped posts, genuinely classy fashion items and some nice snaps of our beautiful capital as captured by then rather than watch a blogger eat pizza in bed or doing a handstand in their sitting room.

That said, could learn to use the drink aware# too when doing sponsored alcohol posts on instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I absolutely love Rosemary's snaps today about Lloyd'sand how she handled it. She used #ad on every single one of her snaps when she was there and she's so transparent. Lots of other bloggers just put #ad on the first snap and not subsequent ones which I don't think is very transparent.

I also love Laura's views approach. I know she's not a full time blogger and not as big as some other bloggers but she put up a post on her Facebook asking her followers how they would feel about her doing a sponsored review. She seems to really want to listen to her followers and what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

dudara wrote: »
    To be fair you should also use it as an opportunity to praise bloggers who you believe are doing it right. Two sides to every story.
    , imo the most honest bloggers who I don't feel push products on people and do very honest reviews are The beautiful truth, sharon leavy, Laura's views, Lorraine haigney, cherry sue.

I feel they are the most interested in their followers and wouldn't sell themselves out.

At one stage lovelygirliebits would have been on my list but unfortunately I feel she does the exact same thing as faces by grace and the make up fairy pushes any product or brand for a quick euro.

I used to be a big follower of the bigger bloggers like Rosie con or Suzanne Jackson but because of all the promoting I find myself drawn to the smaller bloggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Wouldn't be a huge fan of Rosie Con (too much kid exposure for my liking) but she does seem to #ad as far as I know. Like when she did the collaborations with Boots Star Gift during December they were always #ad.

anna080 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a huge fan of Rosie Con (too much kid exposure for my liking) but she does seem to #ad as far as I know. Like when she did the collaborations with Boots Star Gift during December they were always #ad.

Yes I've noticed she is a lot better.
    I mainly got turned off her because up until the summer she was one of the worst ones for constant plugging.
    I agree with you about the baby I'm not a big fan of constant children snaps I tend to skip past them or just not continue watching the bloggers snaps.

• Advertisement

Cria wrote: »
    Yes I've noticed she is a lot better.
    I mainly got turned off her because up until the summer she was one of the worst ones for constant plugging.
    I agree with you about the baby I'm not a big fan of constant children snaps I tend to skip past them or just not continue watching the bloggers snaps.

She had a very bad reputation in the past she seems to have learned from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Do you even influence Hun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

In my opinion she hasn't gotten better.

A few bloggers have be hired by boots in the last few months, most notably So Sue Me and Rosie. Both their snaps had #ad and #spon etc throughout and they made it clear from the start it was paid for. There were other high profile UK bloggers working with boots on the same ads etc and their also were very clear and above board.

I think boots make sure thats its clear. Both Rosie and Sue's were similar and followed all the guidelines. I do think thats down to the company setting down the rules, not the blogger.

s8n wrote: »
    Do you even influence Hun ?

Seems like Dubln girlo has many of them completely sussed!

I just watched Rosie cons snapchat the whole day was constant plugging not one #ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 DMarie1210

Just watched today's snap and did grace who is a miss fit ambassador when going through the meal plan for the drop a dress size challenge say she can't drink the tea ?
    And last week the mu fairy was complaining how bloated she was even though again is an ambassador constantly plugging it ?
    I just don't see how you can justify advertising a product that a you can't frank for some reason or b clearly isn't having the amazing effects you swear it has ?
    If I could get free makeup or dinner or a holiday I would be delighted but I just can't stand when people don't make it clear it was free or they are paid to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

DMarie1210 wrote: »
    Just watched today's snap and did grace who is a miss fit ambassador when going through the meal plan for the drop a dress size challenge say she can't drink the tea ?
    And last week the mu fairy was complaining how bloated she was even though again is an ambassador constantly plugging it ?
    I just don't see how you can justify advertising a product that a you can't frank for some reason or b clearly isn't having the amazing effects you swear it has ?
    If I could get free makeup or dinner or a holiday I would be delighted but I just can't stand when people don't make it clear it was free or they are paid to mention it.

Yeah, breastfeeding people can't have the tea. So theres basically been a year where Grace can't drink the tea yet continues to be a brand ambassador without using #ad, plugging her discount code and the drop a dress size challenge on FB. It's just perplexing tbh. How can you rave about a product when a)you haven't had it in a year and b) the body changes so much after pregnancy that it may be no different to drinking green tea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DMarie1210

Yeah, breastfeeding people can't have the tea. So theres basically been a year where Grace can't drink the tea yet continues to be a brand ambassador without using #ad, plugging her discount code and the drop a dress size challenge on FB. It's just perplexing tbh. How can you rave about a product when a)you haven't had it in a year and b) the body changes so much after pregnancy that it may be no different to drinking green tea ?

Exactly my thoughts! I have in the past bought products are seeing bloggers reviews I still do but only from smaller lesser known bloggers as I feel the bigger one are just in it for the money ? Like do not try to sell my something you are not using yourself ! I even remember grace one time did reviews which were negative think that was why I originally liked her.

A recent fan of lauras views can anyone else recommend honest/ genuine hair or make up bloggersome?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I don't understand the obsession with these detox tea's. The main ingredient is Pu'erh along with other tea's like chamomile and fennel, but tbh, the 'detoxing' mechanism comes from the Pu'erh tea and you can get a box of 80 for about a fiver and the Miss Fit Skinny tea is 25 euro for a 14 day. You get nearly double the amount for 1/5th of the price.
    My point is, I personally don't understand why someone like Joanne Larby who worked so hard for the body she has is resulting in shilling a tea that just relieves bloat and aid's in weight loss when in fact she got where she was today without the tea. Becoming a 'Brand Ambassador' doesn't take away from the fact that it is, in my personal opinion, (and I sound like my mother -God Help me ha) it's a money racket.
    If you want to reduce bloat and not spend loads, just go to your local supermarket and pick up Pu'erh.

Does anyone know if they get paid to attend these "meetings" with Joe Malone? How much of a meeting is it really, like here's our new cologne worth €100 take some home and show it on snapchat. Would like to know if they get paid though, because surely then they should #ad when showing the cologne?

I don't understand the obsession with these detox tea's. The main ingredient is Pu'erh along with other tea's like chamomile and fennel, but tbh, the 'detoxing' mechanism comes from the Pu'erh tea and you can get a box of 80 for about a fiver and the Miss Fit Skinny tea is 25 euro for a 14 day. You get nearly double the amount for 1/5th of the price.
    My point is, I personally don't understand why someone like Joanne Larby who worked so hard for the body she has is resulting in shilling a tea that just relieves bloat and aid's in weight loss when in fact she got where she was today without the tea. Becoming a 'Brand Ambassador' doesn't take away from the fact that it is, in my personal opinion, (and I sound like my mother -God Help me ha) it's a money racket.
    If you want to reduce bloat and not spend loads, just go to your local supermarket and pick up Pu'erh.

Your username is apt! :)
    Ya I think plugging those teas is about as low as you can go really. You don't need a tea to help you detox, you have a liver that does that for you for free. Don't some of those teas interfere with the pill? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I was peddling that muck to impressionable teens

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

anna080 wrote: »

Your username is apt! :)
    Ya I think plugging those teas is about as low as you can go really. You don't need a tea to help you detox, you have a liver that does that for you for free. Don't some of those teas interfere with the pill? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I was pending that muck to impressionable teens

Haha yeah. I mean drink some water. Like I've mentioned before in the other thread about the shilling of supplements, people can overdose on supplements and they can over detox.
    Currys Blogger annoyed me with her snaps. Is she now a brand ambassador with Miss Skinny Fit Tea? If not then how can she recommend something she can't take (as you said previously because you can't be breastfeeding whilst doing the detox)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Nothing induces rage in me like people promoting "detox" "skinny" tea.... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Grace (so hard to not call her Currys blogger) is just the worst. Promoting formula when it's illegal and promoting a detox tea that she isn't using. $$$$Scarlet.

Haha yeah. I mean drink some water. Like I've mentioned before in the other thread about the shilling of supplements, people can overdose on supplements and they can over detox.
    Currys Blogger annoyed me with her snaps. Is she now a brand ambassador with Miss Skinny Fit Tea? If not then how can she recommend something she can't take (as you said previously because you can't be breastfeeding whilst doing the detox)

She was made a brand ambassadors before MU Fairy . So now Miss Fit have 2 brand ambassadors which, in itself, seems odd .

• Advertisement

As #ad is so popular, I do think that those speaking openly about it such as Laura's Views and Rosemary are great.

However, then you have people who keep saying they are being transparent, so much so they believe it and hope we don't see through it.
    I follow that blogger Kate who used to work for Coco Brown who now works for Benefit. She just spoke on snapchat about being transparent and she uses ad etc etc. Her newest blogpost is about her hits and misses and in fairness has * gifted beside some things. However she included Benefit products. She is their digital media person, surely thats a bit of a cop out? Putting them in and not putting *beside it?

Also her previous post was all about that Irish company that bloggers love. Her old boss teams up with them at her masterclasses and they always got given free stuff (shown on snapchat). Marissa and the girl Kate literally got boxes of free stuff ( as did Pippa). I know this wasn't #ad as it was given for free. But to write a whole blog post about gifting ideas from their website? Not very transparent in my opinion. I spoke of the closed thread about her Christmas gift guide. All stuff she was sent by companies. Only after I wrote that did she has in at the very bottom that * some were gifted. To me this is benefit in kind.

Anyway, I'm only writing this as she came on snapchat herself talking about boards.ie and all the media recently. If I can still that she's not transparent, maybe she will pick up on it. Again I'm only saying this for discussion as this thread is about "bloggers mentioning/promoting products and it's something I've noticed.

ratmouse wrote: »
    She was made a brand ambassadors before MU Fairy . So now Miss Fit have 2 brand ambassadors which, in itself, seems odd .

Grace is their "Brand Ambassador, Make Up Fairy is their "Celebrity Ambassador"

Their words, not mine :)

heyjude88 wrote: »

Yes, that's right heyjude! Did you ever hear such nonsense?!

heyjude88 wrote: »

Wait who said make up
    Fairy is their celebrity ambassador she's not a celebrity.

Brand ambassador is an excuse not to #ad imo

Wait who said make up

That's what Miss Fit refer to her as!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

The worst thing about Joanne pushing these ludicrous teas is that a few months ago her trainer and her were berating the likes of slimming world because it's skinny fat, meaning you're losing weight but not by toning your muscles.
    It's quite hypocritical then that they're fooling these women to drop a dress size with diet and tea.
    I was disappointed when she announced the miss fit thing. It was all "goyz exciting news" for months, it was the biggest let down then for some poxy tea. Shoulda stuck with Barry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I looked at the skinny tea challenge. Do people not realise they're loosing weight because they're eating better?
    MUF said on her snap the other day that it's not a magic tea and you will have to eat well and exercise. So I'd love to see a comparison between people following the plan with and without tea.

I really don't get this whole 'brand ambassador' thing. Do they just get paid a flat fee and agree to plug the product x amount of times on social media?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Much prefer SiobhanOH on the fitness end of things, she posted a great peice on "Fitness" teas before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ladyleigh88

I have a friend who is now the very proud mammy of an 8 wk old as a result of the teas counteracting her pill, Baby is the best thing that ever happened to her but she was a very big surprise at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

Wait who said make up

Since when is the Makeupfairy a celebrity?! She bangs on about this "celebrity" status quite a lot. There's no way I'd class her as one. And what's with all these brand ambassador titles, every other week she has a new one. It definitely seems to be a way of getting out of being transparent.
    In my eyes, no matter if you're being paid for each shout out or paid a lump sum to promote a product, it's still an #ad and should treated as such. Saying your a brand ambassador and you're exempt from this is ridiculous. You're still using your social media platform to pump advertising for these companies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement