Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers mentioning/promoting products

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Cria wrote: »
    The free car with the name printed on the side I can't get my head around that.
    Is that even allowed here's a free car with your name on it drive it around put it on all social platforms does that not breach the advertising guidelines.

Apparently not if you use the "brand ambassador" cloak it would seem. Might be worth bringing to the regulatory authority to ask for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

ratmouse wrote: »
    Dudara also has another thing the other bloggers, in particular the top blogger, doesn't have and that's the ability to write, creatively and in a grammatically correct fashion too and without the use of the "thumbs up" emoji as the only means of being able to describe and review something . A firm handle on the English language should be the most basic prerequisite for someone "writing" a blog. Only in Ireland is the top fashion/beauty blogger seriously lacking in this department and I mean, severely lacking. Even spell check and auto correct cannot save that particular blogger.

Absolutely agree if your going to write something and put it out there for the public at the very least use the spell check.
    Although if you go to the likes of the so called top bloggers you will see they've barely written in their blogs since Snapchat came into existence.

Absolutely agree if your going to write something and put it out there for the public at the very least use the spell check.
    Although if you go to the likes of the so called top bloggers you will see they've barely written in their blogs since Snapchat came into existence.

That's true. So basically, without snapchat and the thumbs up emoji, they'd be lost in terms of being capable of "blogging".

Apparently not if you use the "brand ambassador" cloak it would seem. Might be worth bringing to the regulatory authority to ask for clarification.

Yes it is a question that should be asked between brand ambassador and the new this isn't sponsored or an ad quote these are just ways of getting around it.

Today Suzanne jacksons partner got a huge delivery from two companies who are collaborating they got a large amount of meat and she snapped about it which is essentially promoting the two companies.
    Firstly I didn't think meat was part of her niche as a blogger and secondly it was a delivery for her partner who isn't a blogger.
    Why did she need to snap what he got unless to promote them
    With the intent of receiving more goods.
    If he wanted to thank both companies why not send them an email or pick up
    The phone.
    Does she think her followers are stupid there is no other reason to put such items on Snapchat to 'thank' the company other than to promote it for personal gain.
    This needs to be reviewed by the competition and consumer protection commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm sure Pippa's snaps today about the dentist should be #ad. Maybe not, but I'd be suspicious that they are giving her free treatment or heavily discounted treatment in return for social media promotion. She's very bad for never #ad

• Advertisement

Yes it is a question that should be asked between brand ambassador and the new this isn't sponsored or an ad quote these are just ways of getting around it.

Today Suzanne jacksons partner got a huge delivery from two companies who are collaborating they got a large amount of meat and she snapped about it which is essentially promoting the two companies.
    Firstly I didn't think meat was part of her niche as a blogger and secondly it was a delivery for her partner who isn't a blogger.
    Why did she need to snap what he got unless to promote them
    With the intent of receiving more goods.
    If he wanted to thank both companies why not send them an email or pick up
    The phone.
    Does she think her followers are stupid there is no other reason to put such items on Snapchat to 'thank' the company other than to promote it for personal gain.
    This needs to be reviewed by the competition and consumer protection commission.

Exactly, why doesn't he just thank the company himself?

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm sure Pippa's snaps today about the dentist should be #ad. Maybe not, but I'd be suspicious that they are giving her free treatment or heavily discounted treatment in return for social media promotion. She's very bad for never #ad

I know. Funny she wasn't mentioned in that Mail On Sunday article on bloggers.

Exactly, why doesn't he just thank the company himself?

Just proves that it's beneficial for them to put it on Snapchat.
    I wonder if his mother went to the shop and bought him some meat would she go on Snapchat to thank her no
    She would pick up the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I know. Funny she wasn't mentioned in that Mail On Sunday article on bloggers.

I don't think she is a blogger. I think her husband thinks he's a bit of a personality.
    I certainly hope shouting puff when speaking about Brian Dowling was an Alladdin reference, bit risque I thought.

I don't think she is a blogger. I think her husband thinks he's a bit of a personality.
    I certainly hope shouting puff when speaking about Brian Dowling was an Alladdin reference, bit risque I thought.

Of course she is a blogger?? She has a blog! Ya I heard that puff reference too, I get he was joking but probably should have kept it to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

OMG Grace really annoyed me today on Snapchat. She received a PR package (didn't #ad it- what a surprise!) but it was two bottles of health drops that contained magnesium. She went off saying that she heard that if you are lacking in magnesium, you are likely to have anxiety so she's going to give them a go.

Firstly, as she's on a health kick, she should be recieving enough magnesium through diet alone as magnesium is found in food that contains a lot of fiber. Nuts, leafy greens, legumes, whole grains, and even fish are among the best sources.

Secondly, she's not a healthcare professional. She's speculated to it being good for anxiety and in the same breath said that she's going to give them a try, alluding that she's taking it for her anxiety and any young follower who might see the snaps, may take the same advice.

The only reason why this bothers me so much is because I studied pharmacology in college and when someone who doesn't even bother to read the literature that most likely came with the package and then spouts information on nutrition and health that probably isn't what the company's ethos is, is beyond irresponsible.

In fact, this is the direct quote from their website.

'Oriel Revive products have been created out of a need and a desire to deliver products that will have a noticeable and positive impact on a number of depilating conditions such as Arthritis, Psoriasis, Eczema, Rosacea.'

That's not what I got from her snaps. Rant over :D

Who is she to be making statements like that? Honest to god someone needs to have a serious word with her. It's like she thinks supplements and herbal pills are as harmless and eating smarties. They absolutely are not and she is not qualified in any way to make any such statements. That is actually maddening.

Does anyone follow Holly Carpenter? She is at some Christmas Gift swap shop in Dublin today and has #sp on Instagram but not on snapchat where she is snapping about it since 2 o clock today. Really annoys me when people aren't consistent with #ad across all social media platforms. Not everyone follows a person on all platforms and some may not know this is an ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

biko wrote: »
    This thread takes over from the now closed Bloggers and #ad and is on the same topic - bloggers promoting products for reward.

I'm not really bothered by the whole #ad and #sp thing, I think it's pretty obvious when something is an ad and when something is a gift etc. I just find the #ad annoying really.

Having said that I'm specific with who I follow, I love the MUF for example I always find her really direct and on point, as well as rosie and rosemary and just j.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

OMG Grace really annoyed me today on Snapchat. She received a PR package (didn't #ad it- what a surprise!) but it was two bottles of health drops that contained magnesium. She went off saying that she heard that if you are lacking in magnesium, you are likely to have anxiety so she's going to give them a go.

I must say that health claims like that annoy me hell of a lot more than free samples. And that should be policed a lot more strictly, similarly to how Actimel aren't allowed any claims about unproven immunity boosting qualities. Of course if only verified claims could be allowed Rosanna Davidson could just as well shut her website down. It is hard to distinguish between actual advertising and someone just making deluded health claims because they actually believe in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

It's funny all the bloggers that promote different supplements! They are either just mentioned the once or when they are shown there is usually just 1 tablet taken out of the packet if you watch! Your all right tho they really should be careful in what they talk about/promote especially when they have alot of very young followers! I wonder how much of what they promote they actually take!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

idunno78 wrote: »
    It's funny all the bloggers that promote different supplements! They are either just mentioned the once or when they are shown there is usually just 1 tablet taken out of the packet if you watch! Your all right tho they really should be careful in what they talk about/promote especially when they have alot of very young followers! I wonder how much of what they promote they actually take!

I wonder how many are taking the D everyday now?! Biggest farce of a product ever tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I wonder how many are taking the D everyday now?! Biggest farce of a product ever tbh.

Even the name of the product is embarrassing and crude.

Taking the D! :) lol!
    What is it?

Firstly, as she's on a health kick, she should be recieving enough magnesium through diet alone as magnesium is found in food that contains a lot of fiber. Nuts, leafy greens, legumes, whole grains, and even fish are among the best sources.

Secondly, she's not a healthcare professional. She's speculated to it being good for anxiety and in the same breath said that she's going to give them a try, alluding that she's taking it for her anxiety and any young follower who might see the snaps, may take the same advice.

The only reason why this bothers me so much is because I studied pharmacology in college and when someone who doesn't even bother to read the literature that most likely came with the package and then spouts information on nutrition and health that probably isn't what the company's ethos is, is beyond irresponsible.

In fact, this is the direct quote from their website.

'Oriel Revive products have been created out of a need and a desire to deliver products that will have a noticeable and positive impact on a number of depilating conditions such as Arthritis, Psoriasis, Eczema, Rosacea.'

That's not what I got from her snaps. Rant over :D

That's very irresponsible of her I didn't think you could advertise/promote anything medical related.
    Why does she just continue to carelessly promote stuff she knows nothing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Vitamin D from miss fit.

Suzanne is doing a Colab with the people who did her veneers. She will have a video up tomo with a discount code. But nothing about it being #ad on her snapchat!
    From what I could tell on the ASAI Guideline thing no matter what social media you post on you have to disclose even if it is just for say Snapchat you are paid if you mentionon Instagram you still have to declare? Did I take it up wrong?

I don't know do any of ye follow Meave Madden? I always liked her as she seems so down to earth but have noticed she has done a few ads on Instagram and talked about them in snapchat but not said it was an ad!

It's vitamin D. I think I've said this before but when I went into Lloyds to read the box for some info, the girl at the counter was saying it's well known through the likes of James K but you can get a multivitamin that had D and loads of others for cheaper and that one is all just PR fluff.
    Anyway its by that skinny teas one.

Of course she is a blogger?? She has a blog! Ya I heard that puff reference too, I get he was joking but probably should have kept it to himself.

Ok, I didn't know. I only read Rosemary's blog, I think she's passionate about it and it shows.

Suzanne has a discount code for veneers, yessss!
    I always think hers look too big for her mouth but maybe I haven't a clue what I'm saying.

idunno78 wrote: »
    Vitamin D from miss fit.

Suzanne is doing a Colab with the people who did her veneers. She will have a video up tomo with a discount code. But nothing about it being #ad on her snapchat!
    From what I could tell on the ASAI Guideline thing no matter what social media you post on you have to disclose even if it is just for say Snapchat you are paid if you mentionon Instagram you still have to declare? Did I take it up wrong?

I don't know do any of ye follow Meave Madden? I always liked her as she seems so down to earth but have noticed she has done a few ads on Instagram and talked about them in snapchat but not said it was an ad!

She got the veneers done in 2015. That's one hell of a long time to wait to write the review. Would make you wonder did she get them for free in exchange for a review and then perhaps the company might have had to pull her for not doing the review ? Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

She got the veneers done in 2015. That's one hell of a long time to wait to write the review. Would make you wonder did she get them for free in exchange for a review and then perhaps the company might have had to pull her for not doing the review ? Maybe?

Reminds me of this story! http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/vogue-williams-sues-dental-clinic-370677.html

Needed a few bits in chemist earlier and was parked right outside Meaghers.... I honestly considered going elsewhere solely cos their OTT snapchat exposure drives me mad! The store was basically like being in a bloggers snap story.... Greeted by a huge Miss Fit display, then iWhite whitening, the balm make up, the D, Fairy Wand ad, Suzanne's palettes, Bellamianta etc etc :rolleyes:

*not an #ad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

I know YouTube isn't the platform being discussed here but I watch DramaticMac on it and I find her quite transparent. She's done negative reviews of things before (just recently she gave the StylPro brush cleaner a 'meh' review) and she's stepped away from brands she feels mistreat customers.

I'm totally sick of how boring the Snapchat stories are these days; they're all constant plugging and really boring baby snaps. Just Jordan and Rosie Connelly post reams of their babies but they do talk about makeup and clothes a bit. Does FacesByGrace even do makeup anymore? It's just constant snaps of making her meals, grocery shopping, her baby and her family sitting around.

How do people find Terrie McEvoy? I like her and her story is usually interesting cos she travels a lot and she's quite fashionable but she's NIMA brand ambassador, and she's ambassador for Tower Jewellers, and some teeth whitening company.

I'm so tempted to add this faces by grace to see what ye are all talking about but I can't face another one!!
    Threads like these introduced me to Rosemary, MUF and Just Jordan (who was really funny today with the banana case) but I added Rosie Con for a few days and had to get rid again.
    Anyway I'm so over baby snaps from anyone.

I'm so tempted to add this faces by grace to see what ye are all talking about but I can't face another one!!
    Threads like these introduced me to Rosemary, MUF and Just Jordan (who was really funny today with the banana case) but I added Rosie Con for a few days and had to get rid again.
    Anyway I'm so over baby snaps from anyone.

Unless you have unlimited wifi I wouldn't add Grace, you'll have an extortionate internet bill with the amount she snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

Unless you have unlimited wifi I wouldn't add Grace, you'll have an extortionate internet bill with the amount she snaps.

She literally snapped herself opening her press and taking out 2 oranges. Then she snapped opening the fridge door and taking out her meat for dinner. Is this interesting?

• Advertisement

She literally snapped herself opening her press and taking out 2 oranges. Then she snapped opening the fridge door and taking out her meat for dinner. Is this interesting?

Haha did she .. no she's not interesting I delete her then re add her when she causes more controversy.

Unless your looking for endless snaps of food her baby and her boyfriend don't bother.
    She snaps from the minute she opens her eyes until she goes to bed in between all that she plugs endless brands without putting up the relevant hashtags.

I'm over bloggers Constant baby snaps don't get me wrong one or two is cute but Constant is not we don't have the obsession with their babies that they have they need to realise that.
    I barely take my phone out when my kids are around I'd much rather spend that time with them bonding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement