Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My beautiful racist girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't give AF what you conclude to be honest. I'm not sure what more context you want apart from her 'rationale' and the nationality she hates... which frankly, is a way of turning the thread into anti-Nigerian/ Indian/ African/ polish garbage and justifications for racism.

There is no logical reason to hate an entire nationality and to judge them all of being bad people. So I'm not getting into it. My OP is a request to know about other people's opinions of and experiences of racists in their own lives.

It's hard to know without context. Is it random throwaway comments or pure venom. Would you worried if you had a friend of this race or nationality, would you be wary of introducing her to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't give AF what you conclude to be honest. I'm not sure what more context you want apart from her 'rationale' and the nationality she hates... which frankly, is a way of turning the thread into anti-Nigerian/ Indian/ African/ polish garbage and justifications for racism.

There is no logical reason to hate an entire nationality and to judge them all of being bad people. So I'm not getting into it. My OP is a request to know about other people's opinions of and experiences of racists in their own lives.

Context such as what motivates her position?

Would have thought that was fairly obvious like.

I don't see how adding context turns this thread into anything.. You seem a little precious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Beauty fades. Bigotry/racism makes a person ugly in my view. Definitely a deal breaker for me.

Agreed.
    Stay with her til her beauty fades, then kick her racist ass to the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

JayRoc wrote: »
    We get it. She's not a racist... but as for them fookin' Nigerians...

(No, seriously. She hates Nigerians. That may make her prejudiced, but until Nigerians become a "race", she ain't rascist)

B*llocks, this same statement is forever coming up on AH. Racism encompasses discrimination based on nationality as well. It isn't limited to the wider "racial" classification. By your logic calling someone a "f*cking Paki" or a "dirty Arab" isn't racist because they're Caucasian as well.

Likewise if someone hates Nigerians I sincerely doubt they'd have zero problem whatsoever with someone from Benin or Cameroon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    What group do you dislike?

The Swedes are far too arrogant for my liking. What about yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Hmmmm ............. if you're girlfriend has been mugged by a certain group/nationality of people on three separate occasions then it's not unreasonable to expect her to say something like "I don't like them, I don't trust them at all ........." .......... context is everything, stop treating us like children and tells who she dislikes, why she dislikes them and what she has said exactly ....... we don't need you to "protect" us from the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Mouseslayer17

Fair play to her for speaking her mind

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Hmmmm ............. if you're girlfriend has been mugged by a certain group/nationality of people on three separate occasions then it's not unreasonable to expect her to say something like "I don't like them, I don't trust them at all ........." .......... context is everything, stop treating us like children and tells who she dislikes, why she dislikes them and what she has said exactly ....... we don't need to be protected from the facts.
    As I said previously , she had a few minor bad experiences such as being short changed.

I'm not protecting you from any facts, I'm protecting my Saturday evening from reading justifications for racism against this specific nationality.

I can't be the only person whose dated a racist so all I asked for is other experiences. I'm not looking for advice or a clap on the back or a critique of my feelings about this. I'm happy with my opinion and am curious about what others have done, or might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Hmmmm ............. if you're girlfriend has been mugged by a certain group/nationality of people on three separate occasions then it's not unreasonable to expect her to say something like "I don't like them, I don't trust them at all ........." .......... context is everything, stop treating us like children and tells who she dislikes, why she dislikes them and what she has said exactly ....... we don't need you to "protect" us from the facts.

She was short changed. In a shop. Op has overly emphasized it is not the Chinese. So its obviously the Chinese

Cue Law and Order music...........

Produced by Dick Wolf (Howl)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

such as being short changed.

100% Indian/Pakistanis she's not a fan of.

• Advertisement

If the racism has an impact on your relationship then yes, otherwise just ignore it. I don't really give a ****e if someone is racist to be honest, obviously I'd prefer people not to be but you can't force people. It also depends I suppose if someone was going around calling people "****" or beating foreign people up, then I would cut them out of my life completely, but if they just dont like foreign people and keep it to themselves or only say things behind closed doors then I wouldn't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Im assuming the ops girlfriend is Irish , but could be completely wrong, she could be a non national and and hate the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

ED E wrote: »

Pretty nailed on it'll be the romas???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

At this stage I think racism should be accepted. It would stop all the keyboard SJW types clogging up boards all over the fekkin place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Maybe you just misunderstood her comment....like her saying "I'd murder a Chinese now" but just meaning she was hungry and wanted a takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

ED E wrote: »

It's cavan people. They stick out miles away and never give you proper change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

At this stage I think racism should be accepted. It would stop all the keyboard SJW types clogging up boards all over the fekkin place.

An irrational hatred of someone because of their race despite you not knowing them should get acceptable? ?

What a strange universe you inhabit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I think personal beliefs should be respected. I mean, if I don't like travellers, for example, what is it to anyone else?

If she's going on about it regularly, fair enough. Or if she meets one and is aggressive or abusive or whatever. But if she simply doesn't like them, so what.

OP ive never been the babysitter nor the social instructor of anyone Ive gone out with.

you dont have to agree with or approve of anybodys behaviour by virtue of dating them and its unhealthy to expect a clean sweep of shared beliefs in any relationship, romantic or otherwise

If you can't handle the behaviour as it manifests itself or find it unattractive to the extent that it overshadows the better parts of things, break up. but anyone could tell you that if you needed it telling.

short answer- racism is as good or bad a reason there is to not go out with someone you dont want to go out with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Pretty nailed on it'll be the romas???

Naw naw... if it's being short changed then it's probably because of a kerry person...

Is she from Cavan OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

An irrational hatred of someone because of their race despite you not knowing them should get acceptable? ?

What a strange universe you inhabit

You obviously do not get irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

FTA69 wrote: »
    B*llocks, this same statement is forever coming up on AH. Racism encompasses discrimination based on nationality as well. It isn't limited to the wider "racial" classification. By your logic calling someone a "f*cking Paki" or a "dirty Arab" isn't racist because they're Caucasian as well.

Likewise if someone hates Nigerians I sincerely doubt they'd have zero problem whatsoever with someone from Benin or Cameroon.

By "my logic"?

I don't have a dog in this fight. I would've thought my first sentence made it clear that I tend to roll my eyes when I hear that old chestnut.

But it's silly to pretend that people don't judge other people based on the country/culture they come from.

This is FAR more of an issue than something nonsensical like the colour of their skin.

If someone hates english people, but that person shares their racial characteristics (ie an Irish person) do you not believe their prejudice is on an equal par with an Irish person who hates Nigerians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Maybe you just misunderstood her comment....like her saying "I'd murder a Chinese now" but just meaning she was hungry and wanted a takeaway.

Actually laugh out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Can a person be a good person and have a prejudice?

That's a very, very good point of discussion and deserves a thread of its own

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

JayRoc wrote: »
    By "my logic"?

I don't have a dog in this fight. I would've thought my first sentence made it clear that I tend to roll my eyes when I hear that old chestnut.

But it's silly to pretend that people don't judge other people based on the country/culture they come from.

This is FAR more of an issue than something nonsensical than the colour of their skin.

If someone hates english people, but that person shares their racial characteristics (ie an Irish person) do you not believe their prejudice is on an equal par with an Irish person who hates Nigerians?

What you're saying is that if someone's hatred is limited to a nationality as opposed to a skin colour then they aren't racist. That's untrue.

pablo128 wrote: »
    If she's going on about it regularly, fair enough. Or if she meets one and is aggressive or abusive or whatever. But if she simply doesn't like them, so what.
    from a purely selfish viewpoint, I don't want to be associated with her bigoted opinions in public--around colleagues, family members, etc

Same reason most people probably don't want to date religious fanatics or Nazi sympathisers. They're probably not going to assault anyone, but youd still be mortified to be seen dating them. Besides, they're probably going to end up as douchebags. I don't know any nice racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

FTA69 wrote: »
    What you're saying is that if someone's hatred is limited to a nationality as opposed to a skin colour then they aren't racist. That's untrue.

What you're saying is that you and I differ on the definition of the word "racist".

Well, you...and me and the dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Personally, I'd find it just as difficult to go out with someone who is overly pc as much as someone who is overly racist, but both are hard to stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

As I said previously , she had a few minor bad experiences such as being short changed.

I'm not protecting you from any facts, I'm protecting my Saturday evening from reading justifications for racism against this specific nationality.

I can't be the only person whose dated a racist so all I asked for is other experiences. I'm not looking for advice or a clap on the back or a critique of my feelings about this. I'm happy with my opinion and am curious about what others have done, or might do.

Ok, so you're protecting yourself ........ probably not the best idea to start a thread on AfterHours on a Saturday night on this subject if you feel that fragile about reading posts that may upset your sensibilities.

Anyway ........... I went out with a Polish girl for 3 years, she hated Russians and homosexuals ......... she also had a distrust of Black men in general.

I continued the relationship because she was stunning and sex-mad ......... I ended the relationship because she had the personality of a paper-clip.

Her feelings on the above mentioned groups of people never came into my decision to stay/leave her .......... there's your questioned answered.

If I had a homosexual Brother or a Russian Aunt or a Black Cousin I may have felt differently and acted accordingly ............. but I didn't so it was irrelevant in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

from a purely selfish viewpoint, I don't want to be associated with her bigoted opinions in public--around colleagues, family members, etc

Same reason most people probably don't want to date religious fanatics or Nazi sympathisers. They're probably not going to assault anyone, but youd still be mortified to be seen dating them. Besides, they're probably going to end up as douchebags. I don't know any nice racists.

Sounds like your mind is already made up reading that

Advertisement