Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My beautiful racist girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

MadDog76 wrote: »
    My wife has an, in my opinion, irrational fear/dislike of ........... well it doesn't matter what it is she dislikes, it's irrelevant ......... the question is, should I divorce her?

If it's dogs I'd say you should..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Passtheremote

She's your girlfriend and you've just figured out she's racist?

I recently dated a girl and it came out at about date 2. We never made it to date 4. I did do a date 3 to be sure of what she was, drink etc involved, and all I remember was I'm not a racist but.... *insert racist comment*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

HenryHill wrote: »
    My girlfriend has views like this about Africans and I don't blame her to be honest.

Whatever happened to judging someone by the content of their character?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I recently dated a girl and it came out at about date 2. We never made it to date 4. I did do a date 3 to see if I could get a blowie before breaking up with her and all I remember was I'm not a racist but.... *insert racist comment*.

FYP!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Passtheremote

MadDog76 wrote: »
    FYP!

She turned up with a coldsore!

• Advertisement

She turned up with a coldsore!

Forget the racism so, that's reason enough to drop her!!!

Unless anal was on the menu .......... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Can a person be a good person and have a prejudice?

I think they can, plenty of people I grew up with were racist or homophobic, it was simply the norm 20 years ago. I wouldn't share their views but it wouldn't make me write them off as people either.

That's very different. Times have changed. There was less awareness or having to directly deal with the topic of racism especially in the very homogenous Ireland of 20 years ago.

Out of curiosity, whats the particular foreign nationality?
    If I say it's the Chinese (it isn't the Chinese), the thread will be inundated with "I'm not a racist but..." <insert justification for being anti Chinese >. It's Saturday evening and I'm sure nobody wants their heads wrecked with that sh1te. So the nationality is irrelevant.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Is she liable to start f*cking Fruit Pastilles at some turban-wearing man three rows ahead of you's in the cinema? Is she likely to cause a scene if a non-white man or woman serves you in a restaurant and gets the order wrong? Is she going to drag you along to White Power marches and start buying you jeans with elasticated crotches?

If it's no to all, which I'm pretty sure it is because to me there's a difference between saying racist stuff and actually acting racist, then don't dump her. It's madness to overlook her qualities
    I already decided the relationship isn't going anywhere I'm just curious about what anyone else would do, or if they've experienced this also. I see your point that it doesn't directly affect me, although if nothing else, I would find it embarrassing to introduce her to people and have them think I'm in any way sympathetic towards her strange views. A bit like dating a scientologist or a hardline evangelical christian.

I recently dated a girl and it came out at about date 2. We never made it to date 4. I did do a date 3 to be sure of what she was, drink etc involved, and all I remember was I'm not a racist but.... *insert racist comment*.
    we have only known one another for about a month. there were a few pungent remarks in the first few weeks but I overlooked them as being offhand and not serious. I also probably didn't want to hear what I was hearing at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I think you need to ask yourself one really, really important question: how is her so-called racism going to affect you and affect the relationship?

Is she liable to start f*cking Fruit Pastilles at some turban-wearing man three rows ahead of you's in the cinema? Is she likely to cause a scene if a non-white man or woman serves you in a restaurant and gets the order wrong? Is she going to drag you along to White Power marches and start buying you jeans with elasticated crotches?

If it's no to all, which I'm pretty sure it is because to me there's a difference between saying racist stuff and actually acting racist, then don't dump her. It's madness to overlook her qualities - beauty, intelligence, funny and interesting - and focus on one of her perceived flaws. I say perceived because until you reveal the severity of her remarks, or disclose whether they're said to the people or merely said about them, then it's hard to judge them.

Don't know about you but I tend to look down on people who are racist. I think they're just stupid. Having an irrational hatred/dislike of a group of people is stupid. I honestly couldn't respect someone like that.

And at some point I'd have to tell them they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Have you challenged her on her views OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Definitely a Palestinian who hates Israelis.
    Or insert-middle-eastern-nationality here who hates Americans.

If I say it's the Chinese (it isn't the Chinese), the thread will be inundated with "I'm not a racist but..." <insert justification for being anti Chinese >. It's Saturday evening and I'm sure nobody wants their heads wrecked with that sh1te. So the nationality is irrelevant.

I already decided the relationship isn't going anywhere I'm just curious about what anyone else would do, or if they've experienced this also. I see your point that it doesn't directly affect me, although if nothing else, I would find it embarrassing to introduce her to people and have them think I'm in any way sympathetic towards her strange views. A bit like dating a scientologist or a hardline evangelical christian.

we have only known one another for about a month. there were a few pungent remarks in the first few weeks but I overlooked them as being offhand and not serious. I also probably didn't want to hear what I was hearing at first.

What have you said to her about this? You challenged the remarks at all?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Have you challenged her on her views OP?
    Yeah. Had an argument about it. She rang me the next day telling me all her girlfriends said I was out of line criticising her in that way, and that basically, even though I'm wrong shes willing to move on.

She won't entertain an argument on this topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

As my oul granny used to say

'If you cannae take people as you find them you can take yourself and find someone else'

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Who is it she has the problem with?

Yeah. Had an argument about it. She rang me the next day telling me all her girlfriends said I was out of line criticising her in that way, and that basically, even though I'm wrong shes willing to move on.

Get. Rid. Of

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If you're not willing to add some real context to the thread OP then one would have to conclude that you're just attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

It's not the Greeks he's after. It's the Chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

That's not really what nationalism is
    I'm not going to get into semantics but if you're characterizing an entire people, be they a nationality or a skin tone, as having identical and uniformly negative characteristics, that's racism
    Or at least, it's ethically and morally equivalent to racism.

Nationality is not race. You know we have black Irish people now ? I could say a few choice things about some Countries and religions. Nothing to do with race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

lawred2 wrote: »
    If you're not willing to add some real context to the thread OP then one would have to conclude that you're just attention seeking.

Still, it was worth it for some of the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Depends on how good she is in bed, is she fun to be around. Keep ****ing her until the new relationship bliss wears of then dump her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'd leg it. I find myself massively incompatible with racists so it'd never work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Definitely a Palestinian who hates Israelis.
    Or insert-middle-eastern-nationality here who hates Americans.

Hardly. It's always OK to hate Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

It depends on the severity really - simple dislike of a group wouldn't bother me. Actually advocating for lynching them or battering them outside night clubs would too far for me.

I don't give AF what you conclude to be honest. I'm not sure what more context you want apart from her 'rationale' and the nationality she hates... which frankly, is a way of turning the thread into anti-Nigerian/ Indian/ African/ polish garbage and justifications for racism.

There is no logical reason to hate an entire nationality and to judge them all of being bad people. So I'm not getting into it. My OP is a request to know about other people's opinions of and experiences of racists in their own lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

AnGaelach wrote: »
    It depends on the severity really - simple dislike of a group wouldn't bother me. Actually advocating for lynching them or battering them outside night clubs would too far for me.[/QU

What group do you dislike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

We get it. She's not a racist... but as for them fookin' Nigerians...

(No, seriously. She hates Nigerians. That may make her prejudiced, but until Nigerians become a "race", she ain't rascist)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Link her to this thread...that'll get the argument restarted.

Possibly. On the other hand, the whole "is racism per se a relationship ender" isn't a wholly bizarre question.

• Advertisement

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    AnGaelach wrote: »
    It depends on the severity really - simple dislike of a group wouldn't bother me. Actually advocating for lynching them or battering them outside night clubs would too far for me.[/QU

What group do you dislike?

Does that matter? We all dislike groups of people based on our own personal experiences of dealing with them and how the majority of "them" behave, it's human nature .......... I certainly feel that way about some groups whilst simultaneously recognising that not every single person in that "group" behave exactly the same as the majority.

Advertisement