Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My beautiful racist girlfriend

Options
  • 07-01-2017 8:57pm

Long story short, I've started seeing a girl who has recently come out with some pretty racist remarks.

She's a well educated, otherwise intelligent, fun and interesting person. Strangely for a racist, she's fairly well travelled and has lots of interesting opinions. But she is openly racist towards one particular foreign nationality.

Her attitude stinks, and I've tried talking to her but she is unapologetic.

What would you guys do? Is this a deal breaker for most people? It's a deal breaker for me in terms of any kind of on going relationships but most of my male friends think it's an overreaction.

I'm not going to post details of her specific bigotry because would turn into an ugly debate on that nationality and probably a defence of her opinion.

I'm just curious as to whether a racist attitude would cause AHers to break up with someone

Should he dump her 197 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    49% 97 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    50% 100 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Absolutely. Dropped like a hot spud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Long story short, I've started seeing a girl who has recently come out with some pretty racist remarks.

She's a well educated, otherwise intelligent, fun and interesting person. Strangely for a racist, she's fairly well travelled and has lots of interesting opinions. But she is openly racist towards one particular foreign nationality.

What would you guys do? Is this a deal breaker for most people? It's a deal breaker for me in terms of any kind of on going relationships but most of my male friends think it's an overreaction.

I'm not going to post details of her specific bigotry because would turn into an ugly debate on that nationality and probably a defence of her opinion.

I'm just curious as to whether a racist attitude would cause AHers to break up with someone

Beauty fades. Bigotry/racism makes a person ugly in my view. Definitely a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Are her reasons justified? Has she experience of this race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

You will have to define what you mean by racist, the word has lost all meaning lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Get away from this relationship pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I'd need to see a photo of the racist in question before I could offer a relevant opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Drop the hate.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Well unless she's had experience of the whole entire race that's irrelevant. Racism is never justified.

she cites plenty of bad experiences but nothing outstanding. Getting ripped off by a few Euro etc.

To thw person who asked what I mean by racist, I'm not naming the nationality but yes it's clearly racism. We're not talking a qualified opinion on "some people from x", etc. She wants none of these people in the country

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

But she is openly racist towards one particular foreign nationality.
    Sounds like nationalism more than racism. You won't hear my Greek parent (or ex Greek Air force uncle) say a single nice thing about a Turk, (I suspect Armenians are the same way), Koreans have...issues.. with Japanese simply because they are Japanese, plenty of folks from Ireland have had issues with the English, not many Arabs will say good things about Israelis...
    These aren't racist opinions, they are based on national history. Racism is an opinion of superiority or better worth than someone because of skin color or ethnicity. Nationalism doesn't care about race, but definitely cares about the society that they come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Sounds like a hypocrite for someone that has traveled. Did she think she was loved wherever she went. But she thinks it's OK to be racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

How beautiful exactly?

Come on, we're all thinking it

Can a person be a good person and have a prejudice?

I think they can, plenty of people I grew up with were racist or homophobic, it was simply the norm 20 years ago. I wouldn't share their views but it wouldn't make me write them off as people either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Absolutely not, within certain limits.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Would ya put up with it for the ride?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

My girlfriend has views like this about Africans and I don't blame her to be honest.

Sounds like nationalism more than racism. You won't hear my Greek parent (or ex Greek Air force uncle) say a single nice thing about a Turk, (I suspect Armenians are the same way), Koreans have...issues.. with Japanese simply because they are Japanese, plenty of folks from Ireland have had issues with the English, not many Arabs will say good things about Israelis...
    These aren't racist opinions, they are based on national history. Racism is an opinion of superiority or better worth than someone because of skin color or ethnicity. Nationalism doesn't care about race, but definitely cares about the society that they come from.

That's not really what nationalism is
    I'm not going to get into semantics but if you're characterizing an entire people, be they a nationality or a skin tone, as having identical and uniformly negative characteristics, that's racism
    Or at least, it's ethically and morally equivalent to racism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

She wants none of these people in the country

If it's the people I'm thinking of, none of us want them here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

HenryHill wrote: »
    My girlfriend has views like this about Africans and I don't blame her to be honest.

The whole continent like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Contact BBC or channel 4 and try get a documentary out of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

The whole continent like?

No it's the black ones.

Is it black Africans or white Africans or just all Africans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Why are you asking a question, when you've already decided for yourself. If you can't put up with it then leave, none of us can define whether she's really racist or not as all we have is your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I'd need to see a photo of the racist in question before I could offer a relevant opinion.

Need more info from OP.

1) Photo of racist
    2) Nationality she doesn't like
    3) Contact details / Phone number of racist

Seriously though if it bugs you a lot and her thoughts aren't valid at all probably best to end it.

No it's the black ones.

You should give her a black eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

It wouldn't bother me unless she was out in the middle of the night burning crosses in someone's garden , I mean I'm kinda racist myself but I'd draw the line at getting up in the middle of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Is intolerance towards racists not in and of itself racist. What you're really saying OP is that we are intolerant of her views because you do not agree with them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

The Raptor wrote: »
    You should give her a black eye.

Did you just advocate domestic violence ?

Advertisement