Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

username?! wrote: »
    I've just handed in my 3 cards. Scores are 110,112 and 110.

Last card being the best with a bridie and 4 pars.

I know it adds up to a handicap of 28, but I heard if you end up with some decent holes they will cut you down.

Any thoughts?

28 would be fine, as you improve that will come down really fast. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

My usual mix of dogsh*t and dynamite on a beautiful morning yesterday (12hc)... 10 pars, three scratches, four bogeys and a double :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

I've just handed in my 3 cards. Scores are 110,112 and 110.

Last card being the best with a bridie and 4 pars.

I know it adds up to a handicap of 28, but I heard if you end up with some decent holes they will cut you down.

Any thoughts?

got mine recently think I had 107,107 and 112 and got 25.5

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

2nd comp after getting official handicap.

+8 with my only double at the last after hitting a 6 iron 190 yards over back of green.

40 points and I think I've been beat on a countback. Was second on the HDID entry screen after I entered my round.

Official was 12.0 before tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

played singles matchplay last night for the first time. Played quite well and won it the 20th hole.

Found it hard to get into a rhythm with the putter and missed one sitter on 15 but redeemed it with a clutch 8 footer to win.

Great experience and looking forward to the next round

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Played in the the "Thank Frank" series in St Anne's this morning. It was a lovely morning for golf......overcast but zero wind. The course was in great condition. A lot of links courses, my own included, have browned up nicely, not St Anne's though......everything was shades of yellow and gold, and aesthetically very easy in the eye. It was less burnt and more lightly toasted.

Started poorly, as all of us did in the group. On the first tee, the three of us all put our first shots oob! At least I had the excuse of being a visitor! Took us all a few holes to get going, so much so that I finished out the first nine with 13pts.

The back nine was more respectable, I started with a par, then a scratch, then three pars, a bogey, another two pars and closed out with a final bogey for a respectable 21 pts.......managed to hit 7 of 18 greens in regulation, 50% of the fairways and averaged 2.2 putts.

Thought the course was not easy.....on the front nine there are a lot of holes where oob needs to be considered, and while fairways are narrow, leaving them doesn't bring you into punishing rough. So while not being easy, it is very fair. The bunkering too makes you think and it's possible to take them on, but it's not obligatory.....there was generally more than one way to get on to a green if you wanted to trade position for distance. Finally, they got great use of the streams that cross the course..... but the marking and staking meant you were never surprised by them.

Great course, great event (there's a few more in the series of the summer) and well worth the €30......will definitely be back for another crack to try and qualify for the final!

8 points on the front today. Will not say anything else for fear of destroying my phone.

Edit - have relaxed a bit. 18 on the back so at least finished up with some decent-ish golf. I have developed an absolutely wicked hook that is just destroying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

8 points on the front today. Will not say anything else for fear of destroying my phone.

"Left a few out there..."
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭ballyk

Weird day on the course today where I mixed the good with the bad.

The good included pars on the index 1 and 2 and a birdie on the index 3! :eek:

Also managed a good few bogeys and doubles to shoot 92 gross. It was the first day I've managed to play 18 holes without feeling pain from the fractured thumb and damaged wrist since it happened in March so here's hoping for a good season from here on in starting in New Forest on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dconnolly81

31 points on sat in loughrea great front 9 20 points then blew up on the back 9. Cant figure it out why i played so badly on the back 9. The 3 rounds before that in athenry was very consistent with 33 points in all 3 rounds. My chipping around the greens is kill me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

In three years as a Member I played my first monthly medal yesterday off the blues! At Knightsbrook
    I'm usually a Saturday golfer, thats my excuse and i'm sticking with it

Drove really well, had 92 Gross, finished 76 Net
    Two ridiculous trebles cost me my category, on the 2nd and 17th. There were some really good pars there, on index one into a stiff breeze, after a poor drive got to a decent wedge, in about 10 feet away, and dropped in for par.

Stroke play a totally different animal, but really enjoyed it.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    "Left a few out there..."
    :pac:

TBH I didn't, I was lucky to get the 8 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Coastal wind a good bit up versus the weather forecast today - you were holding it in it - or using it at times - was a fun day.

Posted in other thread (How is your game) - that I have been very erratic and went out a bit more positive today - and it kind of worked. Was striking ball very well - not hitting too many greens - but getting up and down and making loads of putts and sand saves. Funny how your stats can be poor but score can be good (no pictures on the card and all the other cliches you can think of). Made 6 1 putts on the front nine :eek: . But was more a fact I didn't hit too many greens.

Still was there or there about - hit a punch into the wind on 4 and was as good as I can hit a golf shot to 8 feet holed it. A real sort of kick start to a round - season and head.

Finished the front nine 1 over - and that was in genuine tough conditions - with 2 of my best up and downs of the year.

Missed a few easy birds too.

Sadly - and it has been my weakness for a good year - had two doubles from 100 (12th) and 120 (14th) yards out. Just daft stuff and in total 3 thinned wedges - horrible and maybe harsh to lose 4 shots when playing so well.

Happy to get the head back in it - and score a bird on 13 and holed my longest in a while on 18 for a bird to finish.

So - statistically a terrible round - but was never far away from greens and was only just off fairway in first cut most of the time.

First very positive day in a few months. Maybe positivity is a state of mind :D

Score 75 (+1) - (+3)
    FIR 29%
    GIR 39%
    28 putts
    Scrambling 54%
    Sand Saves 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Got my handicap yesterday of 24.

Could someone please explain the do's and don't's of your cards in and out of competitions.

I see a lot of opinions on handing in cards and picking up the ball when playing stableford and are out of the hole. As someone who is new to the game, I would like to know what's the correct thing to do.

Got my handicap yesterday of 24.

Could someone please explain the do's and don't's of your cards in and out of competitions.

I see a lot of opinions on handing in cards and picking up the ball when playing stableford and are out of the hole. As someone who is new to the game, I would like to know what's the correct thing to do.

Simple enough.

Ensure card is signed by yourself and your marker in the correct areas.
    Double check the strokes they have down for you against what you have in the markers box on their card. Vice-versa for his card.

Out of competition, I wouldn't worry about signatures but i'd keep my score on his card down the markers column.

Personally, I wouldn't play on if I couldn't score on a hole, so for you, as you probably know already, is anything more than a double bogey on SI 7-18 and treble bogey on SI 1-6. In saying that, I would have no problem in someone else doing it as long as they weren't holding the fourball up or messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Simple enough.

Ensure card is signed by yourself and your marker in the correct areas.
    Double check the strokes they have down for you against what you have in the markers box on their card. Vice-versa for his card.

Out of competition, I wouldn't worry about signatures but i'd keep my score on his card down the markers column.

Personally, I wouldn't play on if I couldn't score on a hole, so for you, as you probably know already, is anything more than a double bogey on SI 7-18 and treble bogey on SI 1-6. In saying that, I would have no problem in someone else doing it as long as they weren't holding the fourball up or messing around.

Thanks for the answer. That clears that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Just make sure the correct strokes are marked, the computer will work out the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

In terms of handing in cards. The idea is that, even if you are having a bad day & don't have a chance of winning, your score impacts the CSS (the score required to have a level par round) in the competition, so you should be submitting it to help determine the correct CSS on that day.

Re picking up, this is really more of a time-keeping issue. In a stableford comp, a net double bogey is a scratch, so if that's a 7 on a hole for you, a 7 is worth the exact same as a 17 (0 points), ie why take an extra 10 shots on a hole when it won't impact your competition score. It helps to keep a round flowing & make sure that you're not holding up other groups on the course.

Just make sure the correct strokes are marked, the computer will work out the points.

Entered a card recently to show 40 points, another fella was also on 40 but it had me in second. beat on a countback i assumed.

results came out on HDID 24 hours later, said player was down as 38 points. If he entered his score wrong on the computer, should he have been DQ'd?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Entered a card recently to show 40 points, another fella was also on 40 but it had me in second. beat on a countback i assumed.

results came out on HDID 24 hours later, said player was down as 38 points. If he entered his score wrong on the computer, should he have been DQ'd?

More than likely he miscounted his points, happens all the time. Computer never lies and if this is the case he entered the scores correctly and the system calculated the correct points.
    No disqualification for this as scores are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

mafc wrote: »
    More than likely he miscounted his points, happens all the time. Computer never lies and if this is the case he entered the scores correctly and the system calculated the correct points.
    No disqualification for this as scores are correct.

sometimes you go to a computer and it will list a leaderboard, maybe this is where magpie had the other lad on 40 as opposed being told about it.

Surely if you have the correct gross scores down on your card, sign it and hand it in then you don't get DQ'ed for making a mistake on the computer?

Surely if you have the correct gross scores down on your card, sign it and hand it in then you don't get DQ'ed for making a mistake on the computer?

yeah i think this may have been the case. I was asking could the DQ'd happen.

e.g. he entered a 3 instead of a 5. computer showed 40 on leaderboard and actual card showed 38 which was corrected once cards were looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What's on the card and signed for supercedes everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

First competitive game in a few years, won my match play first round giving away 4 shots. Won 4&3 . Iron play sealed the game hitting 9 of 15 greens putted well could of a whole bunch of birdies but just kept touching the whole nothing dropping
    I would of had 33 points for the 16 holes I played

Thursday stableford.

+7 on front nine. awful double bogey putting an 8 iron in the water on simple par 3.

Played the first 8 holes off back nine in +1 including missing two 7 footers for birdie.

36 points standing on 18th tee, easy swing, hooked OOB. A bogey would have left me 3rd place and a prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

how regularly do you play to your handicap?

how regularly do you play to your handicap?

Only got my handicap 3 weeks ago. 4 rounds i've shot 35, 40 (cut to 11.4 from 12), 35, 36.

winner is our place is usually 40/41 so i think it may take a long time to get h/c down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Only got my handicap 3 weeks ago. 4 rounds i've shot 35, 40 (cut to 11.4 from 12), 35, 36.

winner is our place is usually 40/41 so i think it may take a long time to get h/c down.

A slight improvement and you'll be off 9/10 in no time. Not many would be pessimistic about those 4 cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

Game back to something normal this weekend 8 Pars 7 Bogeys and 3 Doubles. Still room for improvement but a confidence booster all the same as I hadn't been playing that great.
    On another note, Guy came along to play with us Today who said he went pro for a few years then quit golf. I can see why he got fed up with it, HE CANT COUNT. He seemed to think once he was putting for par thats what he scored. Even went as far as to hit 2 balls off a tree on a par 5 and told us that he wasn't gonna count them shots and play 2 from the fairway and then celebrated when he got his " Birdie".....Wont be asking him again....

Advertisement