Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why do I always play my best golf when it's in a team or fourball or something!
    Struggled hard in serious wind on Saturday to produce NR in the medal but was heading for mid 90's so way off the pace.
    Team event today, 10 pars in the Curragh could easily have been 13 pars but for 3 mess ups with the flat stick. 1 bad hole with a lost ball was my only scratch and a few bad shots led to a few doubles :( still can't complain with 10 pars off 14 so maybe there is a game and a score in there somewhere trying to burst it's way out..........

Forgot to mention I was playing with a scratch player and a 1 handicapper today in a 3 man team. Just checked the scores and we came second........ Nice one, I havent come second since the last boards outing, or the one before that and as I'll be missing the next outing on Saturday I was due a second this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

benny79 wrote: »
    106 strokes in June medal. Pissed me right off.. Range sat creaming the ball, half hour in Range before teeing off Sunday creaming the ball.. First tee pulled ball left into trees pitch out, middle of fairway. pulled 9i into trees beside green :mad: started 8,8,5 (par3) 8 (Par5) lost interest then.. only back of 5 weeks off with injury but I seem to fall apart in stroke events!!

Googled pulled shots and watched a couple of mark crossfield videos could be down to poor posture and transition on down swing which kinda sounds true considering my last lesson. He noticed my posture was getting a bit bad never ever suffered with this since taking up the game!

Positive - my chipping has improved.. Game is really getting to me.. I think I'm destined to be a high handicapper :mad:

What a difference a day makes!! And one Mark Crossfield vid :D

Played 9 holes in +4 last night off the blues, 3 pars, and 2 birdies, even a 8 (par5) in the mix but was trying a hail Mary going for the green in 2 :D (it is practice after all ). But the most important thing was hitting my irons so pure and woods off the centre apart from the hail Mary shots.. But felt in the zone..It was one of them rare moments when the game felt easy!

My Pro told me my mistakes are just simple and little tweaks has me back on track.. Its just discovering what Im doing wrong so I know how to address it.

I actually felt like a single figure golfer out there and was buzzing all night after.. Just the sound of the contact.. you knew it was a good strike without looking at the finish.. Petty I only had time for 9..

Just need to push on from it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

benny79 wrote: »
    9 holes in +4.. 3 pars, and 1 birdies, even a 8 (par5) in the mix

Doesn't add up. Did you mean 2 birdies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Sorry typo yeah should of been 2 birdies! one of them was on the index 3.. which I used to really struggled to score on.. Yet of late I am parring it with ease and have birdied it a few times..
    It really is a mad game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Had the first round of the scratch cup off the Blues yesterday. Started off well and went 2up after 2, lost the 3rd and took it to 2up after 7. Finished 3up at the turn. Played solid golf, winning holes with pars and lost one hole to a birdie and had to take a penalty drop on another.

Then made a birdie on 10 to go 4up with 8 to play. In my head, I was thinking just play solid and see this out.

This followed by a 3 putt, lost to a birdie, lost ball so I go 1up with 5 to play. Next up is a 220 par 3 into the wind, opponent pulls it into the trees/possible ob left. I then hit my hybrid into the same spot but worse. We both then hit provisionals. After 4-5 mins of looking in the bushes I manage to find mine and he doesn't. I take a penalty and win with a 5! Then I 3 putt the next 1up, follow my opponent into the water on the next, he makes a 5 me a 6 and we are back all square! I par the 17th and make it dormie 1.

Par 5 18 to finish, I hit my best drive off the day and hit a 4 iron pin high into the bunker and chipped it into 4 feet. Opponent has a massive putt for birdie which he missed so managed to hold out for the win.

Matchplay is probably my favourite form of golf, was played in great spirit and very enjoyable. Shared a drink then after the game.

Probably have a quarter finalist of the West of Ireland up next so at least I won't be under any pressure! 2nd round of the Fourball now next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Had my best round ever the weekend, windy conditions, but it was a crosswind more than anything, at most a one club wind when it was into.

74 strokes for a nett 62(45pts)
    16 pars
    1 bogey
    1 double.

played very good all round, putting and chipping is what got me the score, as my dirving was slightly wayward sometimes, 25 putts, 7 one putts on the back 9. Cut to 10.2 now so the quest for single figures is getting closer. lowest ever was 10.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

35 points.

Stood on 18th tee box with 35 and hooked one OB. Was standing too far away from ball at address and turned a draw into a hook. Didn't par my 2nd ball. Going to work on hitting a fade a bit more going OTT with back swing. I think i'm overthinking the draw and the odd hook is getting me into too much bother.

8 pars
    9 bogeys
    1 treble

top 5 in clubhouse were 43, 41, 39, 39, 39. Bandits

My putting was average, no 3 putts but not enough 1 putts. Some very good lags.

Was using one of srixon's 'marathon' distance balls last night, think it cost me a few around the green due to it not being soft enough. Have been using Titleist NXT S and Srixon Q Star all year which are much softer. Lesson learned.

Playing partner (14) was 1 over through 8. Ended up with 32 points....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

top 5 in clubhouse were 43, 41, 39, 39, 39. Bandits

So if you parred the last for a 38 you'd still be a good golfer and they'd still be bandits ? :)

Rikand wrote: »
    So if you parred the last for a 38 you'd still be a good golfer and they'd still be bandits ? :)

Of course :D

In my defense, i'm a new member and handicap is on the way down.

I recognise the names of the top 2 and they've been members for years. Last night was a cup qualifying tournament - bandit turns it on and shoots 43.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Of course :D

In my defense, i'm a new member and handicap is on the way down.

I recognise the names of the top 2 and they've been members for years. Last night was a cup qualifying tournament - bandit turns it on and shoots 43.

He's doing it wrong so. He should have known that he could have scored less and still qualified.

it really bugs me that when someone has a really good day and everything goes right for them, rather than saying fair play and well done to them, they are instead automatically referred to as a bandit.

typical irish begrudgery at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seve OB wrote: »
    it really bugs me that when someone has a really good day and everything goes right for them, rather than saying fair play and well done to them, they are instead automatically referred to as a bandit.

Sounds like typical bandit talk to me :D:D

Seve OB wrote: »

A really good day is 36-39 points. How many golfers with a well established and fair handicap shoot 43? :confused:

A really good day is 36-39 points. How many golfers with a well established and fair handicap shoot 43? :confused:

I certainly would class myself as playing off a well established & fair handicap & if I look at my last 15 stableford scores (leaving medal off this for simplicities sake) they are:

My handicap has fluctuated between 11-12 over that whole period (10.5-12.1 is the more detailed range)

That's an average score of 32.33 points over those scores, with a low of 24 & high of 43

I know that I can play golf at single digits level, on my best days, but that's the point. As things currently stand, it has to be on my best days to hit those numbers.

I've played golf with plenty of guys on here who, I would say, would certainly not call me a bandit (I hope)

If a guy shoots 43 randomly, I don't see an issue, when its a consistent thing, in non qualifying conditions, I do see it as a problem (eg in our winter league we had guys averaging 40+ points over 8-10 weeks that don't feature in the prizes the rest of the year)

I've played golf with plenty of guys on here who, I would say, would certainly not call me a bandit (I hope)

Hmmmmm, oh g'won then, he's ok ;)

In fairness Space is bang on. Most guys with well established handicaps and who play regular golf, will not always play to their ability every round, so on a good day, we are all well able to shoot the lights out.
    If a guy shoots 43 randomly, I don't see an issue, when its a consistent thing, in non qualifying conditions, I do see it as a problem (eg in our winter league we had guys averaging 40+ points over 8-10 weeks that don't feature in the prizes the rest of the year)

Exactly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Less chat more crap scores please!

Keano wrote: »
    Less chat more crap scores please!

Well I tried my hardest and had a lot of 1 pointers today, and a couple of scratches on the front 9 saw me heading for another .1 but 2 birdies for 4 points each before the turn with one of them sniffing the hole for eagle left me hanging on with 14 points. An unlucky double on 10 was followed by a bogey on 11 with no shot and .1 was looming large, but some good ball striking followed for 5 pars on the trot and I thought hello.... 2 pars to finish will give me 36 and possible a cut, but another episode on 17 and 18 saw me finish with 2 more doubles and a measly 32. Still better than I have scored lately and should see me inside the buffer (fingers crossed) for the first time in a while so nice to stop the rot.

I actually played some really good golf in parts today, just some really bad holes ruined it for me, but they are forgotten about and I only remember the good stuff and hopefully will kick on from there

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Best round ever on home course yesterday.... Casual round off green tees...
    80 gross off 15 for 65 nett
    12 pars ( personal record in any round), 5 bogies and a quad bogey on the shortest par 4 😢😢😢
    Feeling good about the game at the moment.... long may it continue.. 😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

+11 in Monthly Medal for nett 74
    Struggling to play to handicap at the minute but feel there's a score on the horizon,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Captains Prize this weekend in Athlone. Hit the ball pretty good, but shot 85 gross for 79 nett.

I missed 11 putts from inside 7 feet. Just couldnt see any line properly at all. Maybe I shouldn't have stayed up till 2 am watching the golf :D
    6 pars
    11 bogeys (including 8 bogeys in a row from the 9th to the 16th)
    1 double bogey

Just one of those days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Monthly medal today. 90 gross 76 net

Putted very poorly all day including two three putts in the first two holes. Should be enough to stay in the buffer zone, just!

3 pars
    13 bogeys
    1 double
    1 treble

80 Strokes (+10)

9 Pars
    8 Bogeys
    1 DB (thinned chip after missing green from 115 yards, centre of fairway)

37 points to finish 14th out of 70.

Not hitting enough greens. (4/18)
    Sand saves (2/3)
    Up and downs (3/10)
    9/12 Fairways

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Played in a Golf Digest event on Friday off 16 - 1 over through 4 and 11 points I thought I was going to be on to a good thing. Played the par 3's awful & off the tee was a nightmare. Anybody got any apps or such where I can track my game? I remember I used to have a nike app and it used to allow me to put in whether I missed my drive left/right or down the middle, and whether I hit a green in regulation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

wardides wrote: »
    Played in a Golf Digest event on Friday off 16 - 1 over through 4 and 11 points I thought I was going to be on to a good thing. Played the par 3's awful & off the tee was a nightmare. Anybody got any apps or such where I can track my game? I remember I used to have a nike app and it used to allow me to put in whether I missed my drive left/right or down the middle, and whether I hit a green in regulation etc.

I use Golfshot for this. It also has GPS but I don't use that. It allows you to enter score, teeing club, fairway - centre, right or left, sand shots, penalties etc. Works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

32pts in Moate yesterday. Handicap has gone up to 15 for the first time since June 2016 so I'll have to try and get that back down again. Find I am constantly having a decent (or even very good) front 9 only to totally fall apart for 5 or 6 holes and then get going again at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Had my best round ever at home course yesterday. 85 (off 18), 4 better than previous best. Was +3 at the 10th, and we won our casual 4ball match 8&7.
    Unfortunately threw in a couple of back to back triples at 13/14 to blot the card but birdied the par 3 16th :)

However it was non-qualifying :(, but hoping the swing/mental changes are taking effect and the cuts will come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

wardides wrote: »

Using GolfPad, it's very neat. Unlike me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Full house for me today in a 9 hole stroke play competition!! My driver is still AWOL so used 5 iron on par 4's and 5's

Had an:
    Eagle (chip in from 110m on par 4!)
    Birdie
    Par
    Bogey
    Double
    Triple
    Quad

First 3 holes are a par 4,4 and 3 and I had 20 strokes for them :(
    Steadied the ship and eagled the 4th with a peach of a chip in on one of the hardest approaches and greens on the course. Desperate unlucky bounce on 5 cost me a bogey. Bad course management led to a double on next par 5 but i sunk a 20 foot putt for birdie on the next. Another shocking bounce led to a struggle to get to the green on the next par 4 index 1, double. And my sloppy putting cost me on the last par 3 and another double.

Shocking start but positive golf in between. Some of the bounces I got were cruel but that's golf!!
    Onwards and upwards!!!

• Advertisement

34 points, 85 strokes today in open singles in my home club. Was actually a very satisfying score on the end.

Was standing on the 18th tee with 30 points. Said to the guys, "right, i need a birdie to hit my buffer" its a par 5, but not easy. Its index 2, a sharp dogleg right that needs a hit of about 275 to get far enough down to get a look at the green as there are large trees on the corner.

Got my 275 yard drive down to a good spot. Left with 255 to the middle of the green. Had been hitting the ball well & needed the bird so went with 3w. Hit it perfectly & found the middle of the green. Left a tough downhill 2 putt as hole was on the front but i made it for the birdie which should save a 0.1

It's rare i step up needing something & manage to do it so was a great feeling coming off the course.

Left a couple out there but played very well on the tough holes. Parred index 1 & 4, birdied index 2.

No cut but actuallly my first buffer round in qualifying this year. Have had cuts & 0.1s, but no buffers till today

Advertisement