Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

44 points today off 16 in our last society outing of the year.
    10 pars and 8 bogeys gave me a score of 80. That is seriously consistent scoring for me. Just missing that last putt cost me my first score in the 70's!

Pity the year is nearly ending as I'm playing well and would like to get another few shots off the handicap having lost 3.3 over the past month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Another bit of a frustrating weekend!

Both yesterday and today, I did the front nine in 20 and 19 points respectively. Then followed it with abyssmal scores on the back 9 (13 on both days). It's not even like I'm being greedy when I get into those positions - if anything I dial it back a bit and play the solid percentages.

Started well on both days with a pair of pars then bogeys on hole #3. Had a great drive on 4 today then a corker of a second thinking I might be in birdie territory only for a ropey kick to take it away from the hole. Scored solidly on both days all the way to 9 and yesterday was unlucky - I thought - not to have got at least one 2 on the par-3s.

Yesterday I at least had the excuse of a stiff cross-wind that made shot making tricky, but today it was glorious - almost too nice!! Because 3 times I fired through a green - anyway being a fairly typical links course there's plenty of punishment off the back of the greens and so it was a struggle to get back to score.

On the plus side though, out of 36 holes over 2 days I only scratched one hole, and according to my shot-tracker I hit 25 of 30 fairways.....too often, however, its just taking me one too many shots to get on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played Portstewart strand of the less punishing whites this time. No Rain but bit of a breeze.

2 lost balls and too many bunkers resulted in 26 points off 5.

Highlights were good up and downs for par on 2 and 18 (into the wind). Birdies chances on 5 and 6 from 10 feet which resulted in tap in pars.

Drove onto the hill to the right hand side of 7th fairway (dog leg right par 5). Could easily have lost the ball but hit my hybrid to 15 feet and sunk the put for eagle.

Just one of them days when the driver and 3 wood were a bit off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Mr Consistency today :)

36 points, with scores on every hole, but given the conditions it would've been a poor performance not to have done so.

Started - again - with a pair of pars, both of which were decent birdie chances, then played steady until the first par-3 when I double bogeyed, but bounced straight back with a par before closing out the front nine with another bogey before a final double bogey on the 9th (another par-3).

On the way back it was 2 points on every whole which didn't tell the full story.....I had a decent bogey sand save on one hole, and coming up the last I put the ball in a fairway bunker from the drive, then smacked a cracker out of the bunker.....only to see it sail out of bounds.....re-take from the bunker and another cracker, except this ended on the fairway from where I got down in 2 with a good 6-iron (it was a par-5) and a putt that took its time deciding to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Played corballis today. Good front 9 and poor back 9. Have say the greens are absolutely magnificent. If the track was longer it would be some place. Really enjoyed it and the weather was perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

76 gross off 1 around Portmarnock Links in the Winter Series today.

Always a treat to test yourself against some of the better players around Leinster and beyond, especially from the back sticks. Course in great shape and a pet of a day to boot

Got off to a fairly slow start. I was lucky to par the 1st then hit a god-awful 3 wood off the 2nd tee which was barely in bounds. Bogeyed that hole and although I made a good par 3 on the tricky 3rd, a 6 from nowhere on 4 and another bogey on 5 put me at +3 early doors.

In fact, I had to chip and putt just to get out of 5 with a bogey so was lucky not to be worse standing on the 6th tee. That may have prompted me to make a few good swings and I parred out the rest of the front 9, which included a missed opportunity from 7 feet on the 9th for a birdie 2

Finally picked up a shot on 10 but gave that back on 12 despite a good drive. Made a great birdie four on 13 though, which got me back to +2 with 5 to go. Unfortunately, my finish let me down.

14 was probably playing as the easiest hole on the course, but an overly safe tee shot preceded a flat out stupid second shot and I made bogey. Also bogied 15 and wasted a chance on 16 to get my second shot close. I made a good par on the long par 3 17th before ripping a drive up the 18th. I then conspired to hit probably my worst shot of the day, a flared 9 iron that buried in the front right bunker. Had to hole from 5 feet just to save a bogey in the end, but was happy to see that that was good enough to squeeze me into the buffer on the number.

Disappointed not to score better on such a perfect day weatherwise but happy to avoid the .1. My driving was a bit baffling; I hit the big stick quite well but positional plays with the 3 wood were shocking. Need to work on that but happy to keep the doubles off the card and was content with my putting. Hopefully get out again before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Played Lucan today in really benign conditions. Scored 38 which looks good but I'm quite disappointed with it because I really fell apart down the back nine. 23 points on the front but only 15 down the back. Felt really tired coming in and just didn't feel comfortable over the ball on the last few holes. Only scored 2 points on last 3.
    Clean and place everywhere too so it really was playing easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

First time playing 18 holes today in ages, probably played 3/4 times in the last 5 years. Have been doing a little bit of practice though so not completely raw. Previously played off 19 and shot 99 today at Newcastle West. Am I right to be reasonably pleased with my efforts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

First time playing 18 holes today in ages, probably played 3/4 times in the last 5 years. Have been doing a little bit of practice though so not completely raw. Previously played off 19 and shot 99 today at Newcastle West. Am I right to be reasonably pleased with my efforts?

Definitely. As long as you counted all the shots!

That score is only 8 worse than your old handicap, easy to get down more if you play more regularly. Just make sure you enjoy it, the scores will look after themselves.

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Definitely. As long as you counted all the shots!

That score is only 8 worse than your old handicap, easy to get down more if you play more regularly. Just make sure you enjoy it, the scores will look after themselves.

Oh the 10 on the first was counted but thankfully got better from there.

Really enjoyed it, planning on joining a club in the new year and playing more regularly.

I was wondering what does an 18 handicap golfer shoot on average? Figuring it is more than 90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Well today was the last of my competitive golf for this year and what a year !!!!
    Part of the winning team on captains drive in,
    Unbeaten in all interclub competitions,
    In the final of the captains prize (not eligible to win it),
    Golfer of the Year,
    And today winner of the Caslin cup !!!!
    I only took this craic up a little over four years ago and got serious the last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Oh the 10 on the first was counted but thankfully got better from there.

Really enjoyed it, planning on joining a club in the new year and playing more regularly.

I was wondering what does an 18 handicap golfer shoot on average? Figuring it is more than 90.

I am an 18 coming back from injury. Last 3 rounds have all been 92 but 88-98 would be average

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I am an 18 coming back from injury. Last 3 rounds have all been 92 but 88-98 would be average

Cheers, I'd read that the average 18 handicapper regularly shoots between 100-110. You seem to be playing to your handicap quite often.

Definitely think if I play more regularly I can cut out some of the silly mistakes.

The putting in particular is something I will be spending a lot of time on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Cheers, I'd read that the average 18 handicapper regularly shoots between 100-110. You seem to be playing to your handicap quite often.

Definitely think if I play more regularly I can cut out some of the silly mistakes.

The putting in particular is something I will be spending a lot of time on.

I havent broken 90 (that would be 36 points on par 72 course) since I had a kidney out and even in my worst games just back I was only just over 100. Somebody regularly shooting 100-110 would be more like a 25 handicapper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

42 points in our free sub competition at the weekend - scratched the last hole which was disappointing other than that it was the best golf I ever played 85 strokes.

2 Birds (2 x 2's)
    5 Pars
    7 Bogies
    3 Doubles
    1 Treble

Waiting patiently on the result now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

X1R wrote: »
    Well today was the last of my competitive golf for this year and what a year !!!!
    Part of the winning team on captains drive in,
    Unbeaten in all interclub competitions,
    In the final of the captains prize (not eligible to win it),
    Golfer of the Year,
    And today winner of the Caslin cup !!!!
    I only took this craic up a little over four years ago and got serious the last 18 months.

That's an amazing year of golf... I hate you ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Won my division in Sundays 12 hole winter comp
    4birds 4pars 3bogey and a scratch (oob left)
    Opened with 3 birds in a row :)
    Shame about the scratch as I was under par gross for 11 of the 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Not so much a score but managed to get around druids glen today (only my second ever round), without making a complete show of myself. Took up golf about 2 months ago and loving it.

Was nervous/uptight for the first 2 holes and got more confident as I went around. Some great shots some bananas ones but overall a positive day out. Dreaded the 15th-18th because of the water features but got through them losing only 1 balll.

Now to convince herself to squeeze another round in before the week is out!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

That's an amazing year of golf... I hate you ;):D

Oh.......I was reminded tonight I've won The Simpson cup too ( no not the yellow bucks or yer wan with the blue hair) it's a cup sponsored by the family of an original founding member. Presentation night Sunday so I'll stick up a few picks (if that's allowed?)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

Just a quick snapshot
    Went out an played a very tough course here in Perth on a day off from work and shot 78, my lowest round ever.
    Went out Sunday for Competition and thinned more shots than I can remember.

You just have to love Golf, the great leveller :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭plumber77

Just a quick snapshot
    Went out an played a very tough course here in Perth on a day off from work and shot 78, my lowest round ever.
    Went out Sunday for Competition and thinned more shots than I can remember.

You just have to love Golf, the great leveller :)

At least you've the weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

played the last 3 days. twice at home. 30 points off 14 at Galway bay scratched 5 holes. then 35 in carne, scratched 3 holes and today in Galway bay again 13 holes for 26 points and 2 scratches. big score coming.
    carne is great nick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Into the Winter League in my place, and, as per the last 2 years, the familiar names have been seen drifting to the tops of leaderboards.

But, I managed to actually win my category at the weekend. We're down to 9-hole comps to support the numbers with the reduced light.

I played our back 9. Had 23 points. Handicap is 11, so I gain a shot in the 9-hole comps (handicap drops to 5.5, so playing handicap of 6)

Started with 8 pars in a row, down to some good scrambling & clutch-putting. Had 13 putts for the 9 holes, and had one unlucky lipped-out birdie putt.

18th is a long par 5, dogleg right. Hit a great drive. Second wasn't perfect, but cleared the trees on the corner to leave about 140 in from the fairway. Hit a heavy 8-iron from very soft ground (even the fairways were quite soft after the rain overnight on Friday), and failed to get up & down, to finish with a bogey & a gross score of +1.

Was really chuffed with the way I played. Had a lesson a couple of weeks ago, so to get back scoring so quickly was a pleasant surprise.

Would have been nice to walk in with a level par 9 holes, but I'll take the win either way.

Means the turkey is sorted for this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played champagne scramble around rosapenna sandy hills on saturday.

Drove the ball quite well bar a few hooks. Think i managed two drives at 300 yards with the breeze, 2nd and 5th.

Managed 3 birdies and a several pars. struggled on the par 3s.

Our team was made up of 5 handicap, 2 x14s and a 21. The 21 drove the ball excellent at times which helped the team, one 14 was very short of the tee so only used his twice and the other 14 struggled all day so we didn't use his towards the end on a par 5 (poor drive) and the short par 4 4th (iron). It was at least 2 drives each throughout the day and everyone played their own on par 3s.

The shotgun start was something i haven't experienced before so starting at the 5th and rushing to get out their was fun.

I thought our score of 89 points was good (2 scores at each hole). Unfortunately it wasn't even enough for top 6. Winner had 97 and 4th-6th all tied on 93. 2 weeks ago, 88 won it so i assume conditions were tougher on that occasion.

One thing i noticed was that our handicaps were not checked before or after the round. I would hope there is something in place to check the prize winner's handicaps at least if they were visitors.
    Great course and a wonderful set up. Will be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

18 holes played but only first 13 were in competition.
    competition score 25 off 14.
    full round 38.
    first time ever I had 4 birdies in a single round. 3 on the front nine but 2 scratches on front wrecked a good round with stupid course management. always next time

Advertisement