Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Played Saturday in a scotch foresomes. Horrendous windy cold day. Played pretty well alongside a 7 handicapper who was on an off day. It's hard to tell much about your game when you are not playing your own ball, but my striking was pretty OK and I was happy but there were a few typical 14 handicapper shots in there that left my guy in trouble. Highlight was doubled, a tasty 7 iron on the 11th 170 yard par 3 to about 3 foot to get us a 2 and our money back and a monster 3 wood (wind assisted) 360 yrds on the second hole. I missed a couple of putts about 4 ft or so & he had some shocking lag efforts. We were 2 over on back 9 till a 4 putt on 17 and a 3 putt on 18 ruined us, but we still took the money from our opposition.

Roll forward to Sunday, Presidents Prize, club matchplay 3rd round in the pissing rain. Up against a new member who was already creating a buzz with his conquests and scores and apparently I was up against it big time. Started poorly, loosing the first hole after a 3 putt double. He was short with a garryowen drive on the second but from a long way out he found the greenside bunker with a super 3 wood. I was under trees and had to come out backwards. I recovered well and had a 3 footer given for 5 after he just made a mess of things. Well from there I played like a 14 handicapper and with some gimmes etc I was maybe a shot or 2 off my handicap, so a solid performance with just only one special moment on the index 1 3rd where I hit a very short weak drive into the left rough, still best part of 230 yards to the green and ball sitting down, I nailed a 5 wood to get me to the edge of bunker short of green, a decent pitch ran to far to leave me with a stinking downhill breaker of about 15 foot. A tap to send the ball about 12 inches saw it roll and pick up speed till it broke nicely and dropped dead centre for my par and win to go 1 up.

Ultimately a really strong win of 7&6 felt great, but can't get complacent as I was only OK and he just didn't bring his game. Still feels good though :) More Pierce Purcell practice tonight, we won the money in that last week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played in the Seapoint Open today

36 Points 17F/19B
    3 Scratches
    5 Pars
    Should be enough for a small cut

Scratches were unfortunate.
    1st was a cracker of a drive that ran through the fairway and just couldn't find it.
    The other two were my inexperience with links. Threw both at the flag only for them to springboard and roll off the green leaving no real shot.

Toughest round of golf I've played

Flushing it. Winners again, one shot better than last week in PP practice.
    Jeysus I'm dying to play a singles.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Good stuff Seve.

31 Points in St Margarets today. 19F/12B 2 scratches

Wind was strong all day but on a couple of holes on the back nine it played havoc with my game. Shots going long into wind and coming up short with the wind, couldn't get my head around it.

Greens were OK if a little slow and had 5-6 on the back 9 that were a good bit slower than the rest which was frustrating.

Still, I think I just scraped the buffer (par 73) but I can't find any results with the CSS for recents days.

And 36 in Seapoint yesterday was enough to get me 2nd place, 1 point off an outright win.

* Hit Did not the buffer in Margarets, Par73

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

40 pts in Fermoy open singles today.
    18F/22B
    Playing off 11.8.
    Can honestly say the greens were some of the best I ever putted on. After a nervy 3 putt on the first I began looking at the hole when I putted and it really freed up my stroke. No more 3 putts for the rest of the day. Drove the ball pretty well but what pleased me most was my course management. On the odd occasion I was in trouble I took my medicine and got the ball back in play. Delighted to be cut in only my second singles after a 6 month break.
    1 birdie
    8 pars
    9 bogeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Played a mixed foursomes match last night with my wife (her first experience of the format, my first experience of having my spouse as a playing partner in a competition!)

Ended up winning 6 and 5, and it was interesting. I'm more of a 'stand-up and play' type person, she went out with a plan.....and even insisted on a few practice holes on Tuesday to get used to the format.

I was informed of the game plan yesterday afternoon we were to play to! Essentially, she though that, on balance, I would take the odd holes and she the even ones as the odd holes were generally more awkward and the ladies' tees were probably more kindly positioned on the evens.

So, off we went. We took the first hole, there followed three halves before we lost the fifth, but by the time we hit the turn we were three up. Then we halved the next two and took three on the bounce to win.....with her sinking the winning putt.......so both our prospects and our marriage survived :D

35 points in Ardee 18F/17B with 2 scratches and 4 pars

Mental wind today. It would pick up only to die down when you were standing over the ball. 136yd to the flag on the par 3 (just a yard or two over a PW for me) and I hit a 6i to pin high!

Hit some great drives and one or two loose ones but the approach shots and putting killed me today. Came up short on 4-5 easy wedges in with good strikes and couldn't get the speed of the greens at all.

Crazy what strong wind can do to your game.Felt like I had to hit it harder into the wind with the putter and of course putting it 5-6ft by :o

* Tied 4th. Winner was 38 points and CSS71 Par71. Normally its 40-45points and css69 so pretty happy with how I played

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well, after a terrible run of rounds since qualifying began & the handicap drifting from 11.5 to 11.9, finally things turned around & clicked.

Conditions were pretty tough, a cold strong breeze blowing, but for some reason things came good for me.

Shot 77 gross, my best ever gross score, for 43 points. Only real low was to finish with a Double Bogey on the 18th. Its a par 5 & I was in the green side bunker in 3. Took me 2 to get out, so in the end a 7 for a point was a result.

Depending on the CSS, hopefully will be at least 1.4 cut, and down to 10.5. A good step towards me target for the year.

Had a first ever as well, 2 eagles in one round.

2 Eagles
    8 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    1 Double

Could have been a bit better too (aside from the 2 out of the bunker on 18 :o) Lipped out on a couple of birdie putts & a left a couple of par putts hanging on the lip too.

Was a great day out. I by no means played perfect golf. Had to knock the ball out from under trees a number of times, but my short game & putting was working well which let me recover when I needed to.

Its amazing the difference a week can make to your frame of mind. Hopefully can push on from here & hit my goal for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What scores would you consider good/very good for 4 man scrambles? 2 scores count on every hole. Everyone tees off and you play your own ball from the best tee. Everyone plays their own ball from the start on par 3s.

I'm thinking anything above 90 is good, above 95 is very good and above 98 is excellent.

Bare in mind there'd prob be a lot of high handicappers as it was a classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Well, after a terrible run of rounds since qualifying began & the handicap drifting from 11.5 to 11.9, finally things turned around & clicked.

Conditions were pretty tough, a cold strong breeze blowing, but for some reason things came good for me.

Shot 77 gross, my best ever gross score, for 43 points. Only real low was to finish with a Double Bogey on the 18th. Its a par 5 & I was in the green side bunker in 3. Took me 2 to get out, so in the end a 7 for a point was a result.

Depending on the CSS, hopefully will be at least 1.4 cut, and down to 10.5. A good step towards me target for the year.

2 Eagles
    8 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    1 Double

Could have been a bit better too (aside from the 2 out of the bunker on 18 :o) Lipped out on a couple of birdie putts & a left a couple of par putts hanging on the lip too.

Was a great day out. I by no means played perfect golf. Had to knock the ball out from under trees a number of times, but my short game & putting was working well which let me recover when I needed to.

Its amazing the difference a week can make to your frame of mind. Hopefully can push on from here & hit my goal for the year.

Well done, super round. I feel like I'm in a similar place. Rebuilt my swing over the winter using Hogan's 5 fundamentals, game really feeling good but nothing but 0.1s so far. Hole in one last weekend giving me a bit more belief. Playing tomorrow and hopefully will be posting something similar.....

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

2 Eagles
    8 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    1 Double

2 eagles, wow! I've had one in my entire life!

Congrats, great shooting.

callaway92 wrote: »
    What scores would you consider good/very good for 4 man scrambles? 2 scores count on every hole. Everyone tees off and you play your own ball from the best tee. Everyone plays their own ball from the start on par 3s.

I'm thinking anything above 90 is good, above 95 is very good and above 98 is excellent.

Bare in mind there'd prob be a lot of high handicappers as it was a classic

That's not a straight scramble, I think it is called a Champaign scramble. So for a normal team event with 2 scores on every hole the target for a solid round is always 5 points a hole and to be in the hunt for the win you would be expecting to sneak in a few 6's or 7's on top of that. So for a Champaign scramble I would imagine with high handicappers getting the benefit of playing a good drive you would nearly be expecting level 6's to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seve OB wrote: »
    That's not a straight scramble, I think it is called a Champaign scramble. So for a normal team event with 2 scores on every hole the target for a solid round is always 5 points a hole and to be in the hunt for the win you would be expecting to sneak in a few 6's or 7's on top of that. So for a Champaign scramble I would imagine with high handicappers getting the benefit of playing a good drive you would nearly be expecting level 6's to win.

Cheers ya, I couldn't remember the exact name for the one we were playing. Finished level 5s but my god we left about 8 simple points behind us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

My first proper comp of the year and our May medal. Standing on the 16th tee I was 5 over, a nice walking stick (7) followed by a double on 17 and finished with a bogey. 84 gross for a 71 nett. Small cut but could've been so much better. Still I only play once a week now so I'll take it

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Gross 75 today in Junior Scratch Cup
    11 pars
    2 birdies
    4 bogey's
    1 double

After 4 holes I was +3 but played really well for the next 8 holes (-1)
    Missed 3 putts for par on 13,14 and 15.
    But finished strong with birdie , par , par.

Best Nett on the day and .8 cut to get me to 7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Haven't played in two weeks and had the pleasure of strokes off the back tees today.

90 gross for 77 net was enough to hit the buffer zone (CSS 75)

48 out and and much improved 42 in.

Had 1 birdie, 7 pars, 6 bogies and 4 nightmares.

Delighted with the back 9 to avoid the 0.1 back.

Putted a lot better today but still left a few out there but happy enough overall

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

35 points yesterday on my own card in a fourball, off 14.

Nothing worse than a double, of which I had 3 I think, but my putting is absolutely tragic. Had loads of par opportunities that I made a balls of. My putting really needs work, I'm not striking the ball properly off the putter face at all, sort of hitting mid way up the ball getting a dreadful roll.

Unfortunately my driving was much worse than the previous few weeks too and I can't figure out why at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Medal at the weekend, one of my worst rounds in the past year.

Out in 48 which included 6 x 3 putts and 3 x 1 putts. Played a wrong ball so add in a two shot penalty! Had a slightly better back 9 to finish 90 gross, 83 Nett so incurred a 0.1.

Having putted well over the past year, I'm hoping that this is just a blip

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rubbadubdub

Played my 2nd card for handicap yesterday and shot 99. Suppose it’s just the nature of the game but I had a weird round. 2 x 4 putts didn’t help the confidence especially as the first came on the 2nd par 3 where I shot a bizarre 9. I also gave myself 6 good chances of birdies but only came away with 2 but was still happy with that. If all are marked down to double bogeys then I would have shot 87 if that’s how it works? First round was 91 so hoping to get in around the 18-20 Handicap mark.

2 x birdies
    6 x Pars
    4 x Bogeys
    2 x Double Bogeys
    1 x 7
    2 x 8
    1 x 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Played my 2nd card for handicap yesterday and shot 99. Suppose it’s just the nature of the game but I had a weird round. 2 x 4 putts didn’t help the confidence especially as the first came on the 2nd par 3 where I shot a bizarre 9. I also gave myself 6 good chances of birdies but only came away with 2 but was still happy with that. If all are marked down to double bogeys then I would have shot 87 if that’s how it works? First round was 91 so hoping to get in around the 18-20 Handicap mark.

2 x birdies
    6 x Pars
    4 x Bogeys
    2 x Double Bogeys
    1 x 7
    2 x 8
    1 x 9

Id say you'll get a handicap of about 12-14

kieran. wrote: »

Jaysus- is no way could play to that now!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Jaysus- is no way could play to that now!! :eek::eek:

You would have had 35 points off 14 in your last round. You're closer than you think.

kieran. wrote: »

with 2 birdies and 6 pars i'd say he would be lucky to get that much!

PARlance wrote: »
    You would have had 35 points off 14 in your last round. You're closer than you think.

think just cause getting back into the game, not in anyway consistent wouldn't have assumed would go so low. But when you put as above then maybe. Happy once Handicap is something I can nearly play to so I can have something to aim for and not adding on 0.1 week in week out.

Seve OB wrote: »

This scares me......:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played Portarlington again yesterday, was looking forward to it as its only a few weeks since we played there with the society. Christ I was terrible!! Driving was ok for most of the day but my second and approach shots were off the radar bad.
    I know I play very little lately but was still playing ok, but yesterday was shocking and my lack of practice was evident!
    Decent drive on the first followed by 2 sh&%$s, one into water and second into rough let me know my game wasn't there from the start. Had a few pars (on the low index holes!!) few bogies bot wayyyy to many doubles and a few scratches from being in decent positions meant the points total was going to be low.

And my day got worse when I got hit by a wayward ball of our playing partners, full 3 wood, 30-40 yards, into my thigh. Was in bits with it for the rest of the round and is still very sore today. Thought I was standing well out of line of play but unfortunately he hit it mad left and bang. Will keep behind everyone from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Seve OB wrote:

And rightly so. Good enough to hit 2 birds and 6 pars. Should be a max Hcap of 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dconnolly81

I'd say you'll get around 16 - 17 i had 3 rounds of 83 85 and 87 and landed with 13.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

I've just handed in my 3 cards. Scores are 110,112 and 110.

Last card being the best with a bridie and 4 pars.

I know it adds up to a handicap of 28, but I heard if you end up with some decent holes they will cut you down.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement