Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Sorry for shocking you! Sometimes people lose perspective: a 300yd drive counts the same as a 6" putt on the scorecard i.e. one shot.

Most important thought when you stand over anything inside 20ft: "I'm going to get this"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

28 points off a 21HC at the Gleneagles PGA Centenary course (Ryder Cup course) yesterday.
    First round of the year so it was a tad presumptious to think it was going to go swimmingly.
    Happy enough with it though, 3 scratched holes, 1 was over at the tee, the other two were just brainfarts from the bunker.
    Lost out on nearest to the pin by 1 foot, longest drive by 10 yards, my bull landed in the first cut of the roof and it killed the speed, a few feet to the right and I'd have been up there, though admittedly still probably short.

Greens weren't in great condition, they're battling heavy winds over the last few weeks they were saying. Playing some of those long par 4s into the wind was an absolute head wrecker.

Still not a fan of the course, much prefer the King's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

razorblunt wrote: »
    28 points off a 21HC at the Gleneagles PGA Centenary course (Ryder Cup course) yesterday.
    First round of the year so it was a tad presumptious to think it was going to go swimmingly.
    Happy enough with it though, 3 scratched holes, 1 was over at the tee, the other two were just brainfarts from the bunker.
    Lost out on nearest to the pin by 1 foot, longest drive by 10 yards, my bull landed in the first cut of the roof and it killed the speed, a few feet to the right and I'd have been up there, though admittedly still probably short.

That makes sense if you read it in a Scottish accent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jawgap wrote: »
    That makes sense if you read it in a Scottish accent ;)

Ha ha, I've lived here too long, I've started phonetically typing out words.

Ach aye the nooo.

I'm not even amending the original post, that can stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CrunchyBear

32 points of 18 in Galway Bay this afternoon.

Bit of a mixed bag, 13 on the front 9 but 19'on the back 9 including an absolute shocker of a 7 on a relatively simple par 3. Driver was good on the back 9 but really struggled with my distance control only hitting 2 GIR. Was disappointed with my putting with 38 putts which wasn't great considering I was trying to get up and down on a lot of the holes.

Out again on Saturday, hopefully can continue with the back 9 scoring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

34 points on an away day today. Putting struggled I found the greens to be an awful lot slower than the putting green which is very unhelpful.

Was only 3 inches from my first ever hole in one! Looked destined to drop but the heartbreak when it didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Righthammer

I see you had 3 putts on the par 3 16th...and still had a 3 ..you must have taken a putter off the tee ..lol !:confused:

Jawgap wrote: »
    Actually, when you putt (:D) it like that, it's quite shocking.....also I checked......it was 42 putts :o

415526.JPG

I think the main issue at the moment is the conditions of the greens on my home course - they've been heavily pole-forked, sprayed, seeded and sanded in the last few weeks and even this week, there was a very noticeable 'grain' on most of the greens that was a nightmare to putt across.

I checked, and I think it's telling that when I played Seapoint, with fine, smooth rolling greens, I had 37 putts and my last round at home before the pole-forking began, I had 35 putts.......even if I was to just putt close to my long run average (2.1 putts per hole) I'd save between 3 and 4 strokes per round, compared to Sunday's efforts.

But as I mentioned earlier - it doesn't seem to be a significant problem for others as we've had some decent scores over the last few weeks. Anyway, matters are already in hand as after Sunday's round I went straight in to book a lesson with the pro......I don't think I'm an inherently bad putter, but I'm certainly not dealing well with the state of our greens and its causing confidence issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭SEORG

I see you had 3 putts on the par 3 16th...and still had a 3 ..you must have taken a putter off the tee ..lol !:confused:

4 strokes for a nett 3 no? (4/3 in the Strokes row)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

What app is that you're using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

31 points today. 20 front and 11 back :o

Again irons are super,really happy with them and short game was quite good but drove it crap on the back 9. Played an iron where I could but still cost me two scratches. This will be the main aim of the lesson Saturday.

• Advertisement

Counted it up wrong on the card, 32 points going by howdidido, I'll take it

SEORG wrote: »
    4 strokes for a nett 3 no? (4/3 in the Strokes row)
    What he said.

boomtown84 wrote: »
    What app is that you're using?

Garmin Connect. It takes a download from my golf GPS (a Garmin).

This week, so far, has been a reminder that any notions I had about having the game licked were illusory!!

On Wednesday I played in a FBBB comp at Forrest Little in fair conditions. And ok, while it was more four mates having a laugh, it was still a comp. In total we scored 36 pts. My individual scores ran to 26 pts, with 64% of fairways hit but only 17% GIR and 2.2 putts per hole.

Good course, though, I enjoyed it. Not too much rough around but if you do decide to go off the fairway you're almost guaranteed that your next shot will be over, under or around a tree. There's also some heavy bunkering on some holes which was put to good use with some tasty pin positions, but everything is visible in terms of the bunkers.

Today, was a singles stableford, and my own course finally prised the 0.1 from my grip that I'd been jealously defending. The wind blew - and it blew from the 'wrong' direction. Coming out of the south meant the back 9 were a real slog, if you hadn't done your scorign by the turn then it was unllikely you were going to register a decent score.

I started well and finished reasonably, but the bit in between was a bit of a horror story. In total I hit 47% of the fairways, had 39% GIR but a mangy 2.4 putts per hole (this after I had a putting lesson on Thursday - I reckon I'm still trying to find a new routine to accommodate and 'automate' the changes!!).

I also lost my first ball in about 2 months, and had 7 double bogeys or worse!!

I'm scratching for some highlights but there was one or two. For a start I got a 2, and I scored 9 pts in total on the three Par-3s.......and that's where the highlights end :D

Anyway, it's golf so there's always the next round tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

32 points today off the back stakes in a really strong wind. SS was 31 points so madly enough got cut 0.3. Please with some aspects of my game but just tend to have holes where I have a complete meltdown, two OOB on one hole for example, topped a drive on another which resulted in a scratch. Frustrating overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Long time lurker here lads, your usual 100+ round :p

Got out for a last minute round up at Hollystown, normally hit between 100-110 because of a horrible slice off the tee. Changed a few things around with my grip and went out and shot a 47-45 for a total of 92, couldnt believe it.

Driving the ball like never before, short game has come along but my irons are still something to be looked at, itll all come in time :)

Not as impressive as some on here, but everyone else is sick of hearing about it so thought id come on here and let it out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Long time lurker here lads, your usual 100+ round :p

Got out for a last minute round up at Hollystown, normally hit between 100-110 because of a horrible slice off the tee. Changed a few things around with my grip and went out and shot a 47-45 for a total of 92, couldnt believe it.

Driving the ball like never before, short game has come along but my irons are still something to be looked at, itll all come in time :)

Not as impressive as some on here, but everyone else is sick of hearing about it so thought id come on here and let it out! :D

Good stuff! You should consider a lesson or two, a decent pro will iron all this out for you in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Good stuff! You should consider a lesson or two, a decent pro will iron all this out for you in no time.

Cheers pal! Got lessons as a kid, stopped playing when I was about 10-11 and started in november again (now 22) so ive still got a decent base, just need to iron out the silly stuff and I reckon I could drop even a few more.

One card left to get my handicap and then I can start my goal of dropping shots from there! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

Got my first handicap last week shooting similar scores to yourself, got a 26 looking forward to bringing it down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Nett 74 in a 3 -4 club wind for one of my best stroke play results...
    4 pars 7 bogies and 7 others was sitting level par to my handicap teeing off on the 18th and finished with a triple bogey when a bogey would have seen me in the prizes plus a handicap cut as the CCS was -1. Unlucky as I put one OB in a place where I haven't in 5 years in the club

Highlight of the round was a 300 yard plus on the first drive leaving a 7 iron to the 520 yard par 5 for a 3 putt par :) (wind assisted)

4 no 7s leaves plenty of room for improvement

Progress following on from my highest result in a boards outing last weekend (6th)

32 (12F/20B) points in the Curragh Open
    3 scratches on the front, 1 one the back.

Strike is terrible since the lesson but inside 100 I was very good for the most part with alot of up and downs.

If I played it last week I would have comfortably shot 40 points.

Still, happy seeing as it was my first time there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

first round in 2017 that I felt good with.
    37 points off 13. 17 out 20 back in cregmore galway. truthfully 3 bad drives cost me breaking 40, irons were ok and putting was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dconnolly81

29 points in athenry today absolutely shocking stuff. From the 1st tee to the 18th tee the lad i was playing with did not stop giving out about his missus. Couldn't get going at all

29 points in athenry today absolutely shocking stuff. From the 1st tee to the 18th tee the lad i was playing with did not stop giving out about his missus. Couldn't get going at all
    I got the history of the club I was playing at, have to say it was a nice break from the usual ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

36pts,gross 79 today in beautiful conditions.
    7 pars
    2 birdies
    8 bogey's
    1 double

Played well ,missed two putts for birdie on second and twelfth that I'd make 9 times out of ten.
    Once again a silly double from centre of fairway and a 3 putt on the last, where I went to tap in from less than a foot and missed.

Still going well so far this year with no .1 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

27 points yesteray in athlone.

Hit the ball super - the changes I have put in over the winter are really starting too pay off. Sadly, with how little golf I am playing, my short game has suffered and I had the touch of an elephant around the greens.

Conditions on the day didnt help either, but still - It was nice to get out and play and hit the ball well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

First time ive played in weeks. Not getting out to practise lately this year due to moving into a new house and baby getting bigger.
    Played scratch cup in bunclody off the black tees. Had a super front nine of 35(-2 gross ) back nine much harder in the wind and 2 silly doubles left me with a 77 gross for second place. Pity as there was a seriously good round there but rustyness and a small bit of misfortune came to bite me in the ass.
    Cant wait for the next one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I got the history of the club I was playing at, have to say it was a nice break from the usual ****e

I played with a 19 handicapper who had 44 but should of had 50. big fan of Peter pan

I played with a 19 handicapper who had 44 but should of had 50. big fan of Peter pan
    Don't get that :confused:

Sunday was a match against God......or it felt that way in the gale, the rain and the sand being whipped up from the beach. It was v-par comp and I was quite happy with how I played. God beat me by three which is to say I finished three down, but considering that three up won it and level got a prize, the result wasn't too bad and it was in the buffer zone, so quite happy with that.

Yesterday, I went out to play the Intermediate Scratch Cup in Hollywood Lakes.....nice course, lovely weather and good company but my game was the worst!! Started with a par (tap in one following a near miss chip for birdie) then just went to pot.....on reflection I think on such a long course I was overcooking my drives to try and squeeze a few yards extra from them.....then failing to adequately deal with having to play from the lush first cut when I inevitably sent them right. Looking at my stats there is a noticeable difference between the holes where I found the fairway and those where I didn't. So lesson learned for the next time.

Anyway, I finished that game hoping I'd get mugged before I got to the (very nice) clubhouse to put my card in.......no such luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Scratch Cup Qualfiying on Saturday off the Blue tees, first time this year. Tricky conditions on the back 9 and finish +9 so managed to qualify in the top 32.

CSS was 77 Nett so got cut 0.6 to 6.5 so nearly at my target!

Advertisement