Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Finally got my 3rd card in today shot an 85. So my 3 cards were 83, 85 and 87 so happy enough with that left a lot behind me again today but plenty of room for improvement. Played of 14 2 years ago so be happy to get back to that or lower. Not sure what I'll get.

12 or 13 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dconnolly81

12 or 13 I'd say.

Ya was thinking in the same line as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WheresMyPar

41pts today 3 over par
    3 putted 10th hole from about 8 feet missed the tap in back ,
    Bogeyed 17th just missed the green should have been simple up and down,
    Rest was very happy with should be down to 7 for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Finally got my 3rd card in today shot an 85. So my 3 cards were 83, 85 and 87 so happy enough with that left a lot behind me again today but plenty of room for improvement. Played of 14 2 years ago so be happy to get back to that or lower. Not sure what I'll get.

Depends on the club, I had 3 round high enough think 2 were in the high 90s and 1 was over the 100 and got a rediculous 9.5.

I can't see you getting higher than 11 though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Depends on the club, I had 3 round high enough think 2 were in the high 90s and 1 was over the 100 and got a rediculous 9.5.

I can't see you getting higher than 11 though

That it just bonkers. WTF are these clubs up to with handicaps like that. I've heard a few similar stories and know certain individuals who got stupid low handicaps. I mean, it is like they don't want people joining their club and they are doing their best to turn new people away from the game. The whole idea of getting a handicap is to make it a level playing field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I can understand clubs issuing a handicap that's a couple or few strokes lower than the scoring suggests but giving someone a Cat 2 handicap when they're scoring in the 90s is really taking the p1$$!!

Are they trying to keep people uncompetitive for years........or do they reckon you'll improve dramatically :D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

35pts. +9 today.
    Started with a double bogey and was +6 after nine. Much better back nine +3 but had a silly double on 17.
    Happy enough and but for the two silly doubles I would have got another cut. Still good to be in buffer.
    11 pars
    5 bogey's
    2 doubles

Yeh it's ridiculous it's not as if membership is cheap either. Finally nearly two years later I am off 13 and starting to play to it. I was probably about an 18 hcapper at the time.

A friend of mine joined the club recently and was genuinely tempted to put in bogus cards but couldn't do it as wanted a genuine hcap, 3 cards in the 100s and he got a 14 hcap he plays to about 24 at the minute but potentially around 18 if playing regularly.

Have two other mates that now don't want to join as we play a decent society and they know they are writing off about 2/3 years of golf with these ridiculous hcaps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It's not just the overall score that counts. Any big scores on an individual hole is reduced down to double bogey so if there are a load of pars and one or two big scores the handicap would be lower than the initial overall score would suggest.

Having trimmed just over 4 shots from handicap in the first half of April, I 'recalibrated' my golfing objectives for the year and thought it might be possible to erode another couple of shots off before the end of the summer. Still, I was left wondering where those shots might actually come from.....

......the answer was Seapoint!!! Took my shiny new slimmed down, 17.8 handicap out for its first spin today and shot 42 points in cool but largely benign conditions. My first objective today was not to disgrace myself, my second was to try not to give up a soft 0.1 and my third wa to try and keep any knuckleheaded triple bogeys off the card. I started well, parring the first 3, bogeying the next 2 (index 3 and 1) and just played it steady from there. Got beaten up a bit by their par 5s but still managed to close out the front 9 on 19 points.

From there I figured I could kick on and make the buffer zone without too much effort and with a little luck. The par 5 tenth hole beat me up again, but then I parred 11 and birdied 12 and at that point I figured, "game on" and pushed a little bit harder and secured three more pars and nothing worse than a bogey on the last half dozen holes to seal the deal at 23 points on the back and 42 overall.......to say I'm chuffed would be an understatement!!!

Looking at recent results, I'd say I could be about 6 or maybe 7 shots than the CSS for their Tuesday open, so if I'm calculating it right I'll lose 1.8 or 2.1 for the score plus the previous ESR will trigger another ESR and the average of the score that triggered the first ESR and this score (difference between my score and the respective CSS's) will be 5.5 or 6 which will gain me another ESR of 2 strokes.....which will drop me to about 13.7 or 13.8.......which is what I was aiming for, but thought it'd me next year before I'd see those figures!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Looks at the post above, shuffles feet and mutters something about at least the positive thing was not loosing a golf ball during my round... :)

Manach wrote: »
    Looks at the post above, shuffles feet and mutters something about at least the positive thing was not loosing a golf ball during my round... :)

Like this? :)

giphy.gif

Jawgap wrote: »
    Having trimmed just over 4 shots from handicap in the first half of April, I 'recalibrated' my golfing objectives for the year and thought it might be possible to erode another couple of shots off before the end of the summer. Still, I was left wondering where those shots might actually come from.....

......the answer was Seapoint!!! Took my shiny new slimmed down, 17.8 handicap out for its first spin today and shot 42 points in cool but largely benign conditions. My first objective today was not to disgrace myself, my second was to try not to give up a soft 0.1 and my third wa to try and keep any knuckleheaded triple bogeys off the card. I started well, parring the first 3, bogeying the next 2 (index 3 and 1) and just played it steady from there. Got beaten up a bit by their par 5s but still managed to close out the front 9 on 19 points.

From there I figured I could kick on and make the buffer zone without too much effort and with a little luck. The par 5 tenth hole beat me up again, but then I parred 11 and birdied 12 and at that point I figured, "game on" and pushed a little bit harder and secured three more pars and nothing worse than a bogey on the last half dozen holes to seal the deal at 23 points on the back and 42 overall.......to say I'm chuffed would be an understatement!!!

Looking at recent results, I'd say I could be about 6 or maybe 7 shots than the CSS for their Tuesday open, so if I'm calculating it right I'll lose 1.8 or 2.1 for the score plus the previous ESR will trigger another ESR and the average of the score that triggered the first ESR and this score (difference between my score and the respective CSS's) will be 5.5 or 6 which will gain me another ESR of 2 strokes.....which will drop me to about 13.7 or 13.8.......which is what I was aiming for, but thought it'd me next year before I'd see those figures!

Great shooting! Birdie on 12 isn't easy to come by!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Manach wrote: »

Ha ha love it . Went 3 rounds on the same ball . Things battered but will live for another round

I wrapped up my own personal Easter festival of golf by playing the regular wednesday comp at my home port (Laytown & Bettystown) yesterday.

Following on from my result at Seapoint the handicap was cut to 15.7 (playing handicap of 16) with no ESR applied - I must've read the manual wrong!

Anyway, pretty much the same objectives as before - no giving back a 0.1 and no triples. Conditions were fine......very little wind and occasional drizzle. Started well with 3 pars in the first 4 holes, followed by a couple of bogeys then a par on the index 2 before I registered my first double bogey on 8 which was pretty infuriating as it was a 4-putt after getting on the green in 2 - and I can't even use the excuse that I was on the 'wrong' part of the tiered green compared to where the pin was!!

Anyway, struggled a bit to get things back firing again and finished out the front 9 with a bogey, then shot 2 double bogeys in the first 3 holes of the back 9, which I'm attributing to letting my concentration go on my putting. Finished out the last 6 holes in a steady enough fashion with 2 pars and 4 bogeys.

All told it was 6 pars, 7 bogeys and 5 doubles for 38 pts and another cut :)

I hit 53% of fairways, 39% GIR and had 2.3 putts per hole.

.....and I still feel I can take more off the handicap - I very much doubt I'll get near the winner's enclosure for sometime, but at the moment I'm feeling like there's a bit more fat left to trim from my game before I hit the bone! And most of it is in the putting department!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Following on from my result at Seapoint the handicap was cut to 15.7 (playing handicap of 16) with no ESR applied - I must've read the manual wrong!

My understanding of the ESR is that once you've had one applied, there is a reset. Your Seapoint score would trigger the first round of your next ESR. So you'll need another big round to qualify for the 2nd one.

Either way, that's a fantastic run of golf you've had, I'm extremely jealous.

I've played 3 comps since qualifying started & pulled in 3 0.1s :(

My understanding of the ESR is that once you've had one applied, there is a reset. Your Seapoint score would trigger the first round of your next ESR. So you'll need another big round to qualify for the 2nd one.

Either way, that's a fantastic run of golf you've had, I'm extremely jealous.

I've played 3 comps since qualifying started & pulled in 3 0.1s :(

Thanks.

I had a -5 ND on 1 April - to my reading that 'triggered' the ESR - then the -4 ND on 16 April 'activated' the ESR, so I lost a further stroke on top of the UHS adjustment......

......my reading of the manual is that the second 'exceptional' score, in addition to triggering an ESR, serves as a marker or trigger for the third one......which would be the score from Seapoint.......

......I also re-read the manual and it seems the system makes a "recommendation" - it's not automatic, and it's up to the handicapping committee to apply it or not.....

.....anyway, we'll see.

So i got my handicap today got 13.5. So happy with that start of where i finished. Now to start moving down hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WheresMyPar

5 over par for 69 net in medal today
    3 birdies
    10 pars
    3 bogeys
    1 double
    1 treble😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It was a fourball so not 100% sure what I scored on my own card but played my best golf in probably 5+ years today. Always struggled massively with my round just falling apart on the back 9, but my last 7 holes were par, par, bogey, birdie, bogey (STUPID three putt), par, par so couldn't be happier that I managed to keep it together for the whole thing. Holes 9 through 11 had an OOB on 9 and then a double on 11, with another three putt bogey on 10 so I really felt the wheels were going to come off for a disaster of a back 9. Was probably in the region of 39 to 40 points myself. Thrilled.

• Advertisement

32 points in connemara golf course played okish but left so much behind again

Two rounds this week and both pretty poor. Played Lough Erne last weekend and shot 25 points really struggled with distance control with irons and wedges, also putted poorly.

Played my home club yesterday in near perfect conditions and yet another 25 points, putting was just awfull and missing everything left, missed 4 putts of less than 3 feet. I'd say the longest putt I held was about 2 feet. One bright point was I chipped in for birdie on one hole but apart from that it was a bad day and struggled to get going.

Something I have been considering a while now is getting a fat grip on my putter so think I am finally gona bite the bullet and do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

After having a shocker in Druid's Glen on Good Friday - 19 points - I had a slight hand injury which i shouldn't have played with but hey ho.
    Returned to Knightsbrook yesterday, and played a solid 36 points with two scratches.
    I had 16 after nine, and had 20 on the back nine. Finished out the last four at -1 including a chip in for a two at the 18th.

A steady weekend of golf.......following on from my recent handicap cuts I wasn't looking to do anything except play to the new handicap and score in the buffer zone.

I've also set myself the challenge of keeping double bogeys off the card.

Saturday was a singles stableford.....calm conditions with a barely perceptible wind from the north. I started well and, in some ways, played my best golf in a long time. There was nothing spectacular to report but the first 7 holes were consistency itself, then a wobble on 8 followed by another 8 holes of consistent scoring before I messed up 17, then finished with a par for a total of 37 points which turned out to be the CSS.

5 pars, 11 bogeys and 2 doubles - and the annoying part was that one of those doubles came on the index 18 (17th holes) after a pretty decent drive, but where 'old me' would have brooded on that and probably turned the 18th into a trainwreck, the new me brushed it off and focused on finishing solidly :)

In total I hit 60% of fairways, 33% GIR and 2.1 putts per hole.

Today, was qualification for the club matchplay and again the objectives remained to score in the buffer zone and qualify. Conditions were near perfect with zero wind and again I started well with some consistent scoring. This time Mr Double Bogey made his presence known at hole 6, and then I completely cocked up the par 3 9th to shake hands with his cousin, Mr Triple Bogey:(

Again I didn't dwell on it and set off down the back 9 with some more consistent scoring - nothing spectacular and very boring in fact. Came to 17 again, only this time I birdied it to slay the demons from the day before. Finished with a nett 71, and even though there'll be some fine scores recorded today, it should be enough to see me into the knockout stage of the competition.

Today, it was 67% of fairways hit, 50% GIR but 2.3 putts per hole - putting is definitely an area where I culd pick up some more strokes. I could argue that the greens are a bit of a lottery at the moment, but they are that way for everyone......and averages aside, I'm having waaaaay too many 3-putts (6 today, along with a 4-putt).

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Gross 80 , nett 72 in the Monthly Medal
    2 brain farts cost me two doubles
    11 pars
    5 bogey's
    2 doubles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Sadly my best competition round of the year so far off the back back tee's and tucked pins. Easily the hardest layout I've seen in Tara.

First hole I must have lasered the tree behind the green because I flew the green by about 50 yards, then had to chip around the tree :o

Lots of silly mistakes with even a 4 putt in there and a few thins and duffs around the greens.

Still, driver behaved more than usual and my iron strikes were excellent for the most part.

Shot I remember most was a 4i to pin high on the 215yd par3

mMxN8LE.png

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Monthly medal - +10 net :(

Started well par, par then steady enough until the 15th (-2 net) including a bird:), then bang!!! blew up, ran out of steam

Finished quadruple, sextuple, quintuple and a double:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just ran out of energy I think, but still no excuse for that finish :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Two rounds this weekend.
    V Par in the Fourball matchplay qualifier on Saturday, finished 7up. Had 18 pars, qualified 4th. Missed a few birdie putts between us but also scrambled a few pars so could have gone either way.

39 points off 8 yesterday so a great feeling to get the first cut of the year! Need to start holing more birdie putts to continue improving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Today, it was 67% of fairways hit, 50% GIR but 2.3 putts per hole - putting is definitely an area where I culd pick up some more strokes. I could argue that the greens are a bit of a lottery at the moment, but they are that way for everyone......and averages aside, I'm having waaaaay too many 3-putts (6 today, along with a 4-putt).

F-ing hell: 41 putts!!! That, in any man's language, is shocking as I notice you did the same last week. You should be disappointed with 36 putts per round, that would be a five shot improvement. What do you practice when you're putting? I've noticed a good few players who struggle with pace for long putts is that they don't strike the ball square (the face is often open). This really affects judgement of pace on the longer ones so make sure that's not happening. Another simple one is pace out the distance of the putts. Make yourself a good putter and you'll be a single figure handicapper in no time...

• Advertisement

F-ing hell: 41 putts!!! That, in any man's language, is shocking as I notice you did the same last week. You should be disappointed with 36 putts per round, that would be a five shot improvement. What do you practice when you're putting? I've noticed a good few players who struggle with pace for long putts is that they don't strike the ball square (the face is often open). This really affects judgement of pace on the longer ones so make sure that's not happening. Another simple one is pace out the distance of the putts. Make yourself a good putter and you'll be a single figure handicapper in no time...

Actually, when you putt (:D) it like that, it's quite shocking.....also I checked......it was 42 putts :o

415526.JPG

I think the main issue at the moment is the conditions of the greens on my home course - they've been heavily pole-forked, sprayed, seeded and sanded in the last few weeks and even this week, there was a very noticeable 'grain' on most of the greens that was a nightmare to putt across.

I checked, and I think it's telling that when I played Seapoint, with fine, smooth rolling greens, I had 37 putts and my last round at home before the pole-forking began, I had 35 putts.......even if I was to just putt close to my long run average (2.1 putts per hole) I'd save between 3 and 4 strokes per round, compared to Sunday's efforts.

But as I mentioned earlier - it doesn't seem to be a significant problem for others as we've had some decent scores over the last few weeks. Anyway, matters are already in hand as after Sunday's round I went straight in to book a lesson with the pro......I don't think I'm an inherently bad putter, but I'm certainly not dealing well with the state of our greens and its causing confidence issues!

Advertisement