Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Played Rathcore yesterday in a casual round, , ended up with 34 points but had a dreadful dreadful inconsistent start, for the first 6 holes, i went scratch \ par \ scratch \ par \ scratch \par. Settled down a bit after that and only scratched one more on the way back but by then the card was ruined.

Incidentally, was my first time playing Rathcore since it re-opened, fairways and teeboxes were extremely hairy and the bunkers werent in great shape either, hopefully they find a new buyer soon as the course is crying out for some love and attention. Its a shame to see it that way as it really is a super course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

79 strokes.

Had a ball OOB and played way better than that. Just nothing happened and found very unlucky trouble a few times. Just nothing happened day - one of them. Holed nothing , didn't get close. Wedge play still weak.

Unreal weather "It was the year of 88, in the lovely month of June, when the gadflies were swarming....."

Well it wasn't June, and probably not gadflies, but all sorts of life out on the course and first serious temperatures of the year. The ball is travelling now - not just ground conditions but air temperature too.

Drove a hole I never drove before - so looking forward to the season with the M2 , I'm not sure I'm as consistent with it flight wise , but am further. It is not a club for everyone, you need serious speed to get it going.

So feel positive after today. Not a great score - but feel If I keep that up a very good score coming - say 75 or less.

Sun cream, Shorts, Summer Golfers.

Golf is cool again. But also slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

79 strokes.

Not a great score

:D Haha fix, did you think a couple of years ago writing that blog/thread that you'd get to a point where you'd be calling 79 strokes a not great score?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Shot a 93 in Druids Heath last weekend. Had an awful front nine, with two 8's, but i played really well on the back nine. Shot 40 which is was really happy with, especially as there are two really tough holes (12th and 13th). Ended with 33 points i think, 23 of those from the back nine :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

An intense, but mixed, weekend of golf.

Started on Saturday evening with a fourball match that we ended up losing 2 and 1. The guys we played against gave us a masterclass in how to play matches, in terms of always having one ball in a safe enough position so the other can be more adventurous. We lost the opening hole, traded a few on the way to making the turn at 2 down, then it was basically halves all the way to 15 which we won before they brought the match to a close on the 17th.

Sunday morning was a monthly medal which, despite the wind, yielded some ok scores - nothing spectacular, but we ended up doing something we'd never done in anything less than hurricane force winds and monsoon levels of rainfall....walking in with a few holes to play. The pace of play was just so sloooooooooow - which was surprising because we were out early but one of the groups ahead were very slow (one of them we could see had a pre-shot routine of 3 practice swings, stop, walk behind the ball to have a look, a couple of more practice swings then the stroke).....the group ahead of us bailed and that gave us the same idea! N/R'ed the card the dropped it in the box.

Sunday evening was team practice for a match next weekend......and by team practice, I mean 12 holes and a couple of beers!

All in all, 44 holes of golf in a little over 24 hours!

• Advertisement

:D Haha fix, did you think a couple of years ago writing that blog/thread that you'd get to a point where you'd be calling 79 strokes a not great score?

A long long time ago Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dconnolly81

Played this evening after work (not a great start) getting my game together even though i only shot 26 points. But a hell of a lot of positives to take from it. Missed an eagle putt by inches and a few birdie putts, iron play is coming along. So keeping my chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Played yesterday, worst muck I have ever produced (13 pts) Not even a single par!!!!!

Working through a swing change with pro and trying to be patient with long term goals, but by Christ that was bad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

martinkop wrote: »
    Played yesterday, worst muck I have ever produced (13 pts) Not even a single par!!!!!

Working through a swing change with pro and trying to be patient with long term goals, but by Christ that was bad!!!!

Ouch!!

Keep the faith, swings and roundabout.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

beat 6&4 in singles matchplay. level game.

His 6 wins were as follows;
    2 unbelievable up and downs from opponent (1 from bunker, other was a 40 yard bump and run to 3 feet). I made bogey.
    1 3 putt from me. both GIR, he 2 putted.
    3 lost balls.

Awful round from me especially off the tee with 3 bad hooks. Tough to comprehend as I hadn't lost a ball in 3 rounds. Greens very slow compared to weekend, looked like they hadn't be cut in a few days.

He also brought a caddy, 1st round game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

79 strokes.

Had a ball OOB and played way better than that. Just nothing happened and found very unlucky trouble a few times. Just nothing happened day - one of them. Holed nothing , didn't get close. Wedge play still weak.

Unreal weather "It was the year of 88, in the lovely month of June, when the gadflies were swarming....."

Well it wasn't June, and probably not gadflies, but all sorts of life out on the course and first serious temperatures of the year. The ball is travelling now - not just ground conditions but air temperature too.

Drove a hole I never drove before - so looking forward to the season with the M2 , I'm not sure I'm as consistent with it flight wise , but am further. It is not a club for everyone, you need serious speed to get it going.

So feel positive after today. Not a great score - but feel If I keep that up a very good score coming - say 75 or less.

Sun cream, Shorts, Summer Golfers.

Golf is cool again. But also slow.

Did you not get a new Titleist driver not so long ago after you broke or lost yours? was that you?
    Im hearing good things about the M2 and seen a few people use them and knot the ball miles ie RoadRunner :D What is your swing speed fix? would it not just depend on the shaft you get fitted for..

Played a singles match last night and what a lovely evening it was for it too, despite the mist rolling in from the sea and occasionally obscuring the views.

On the first tee I thought, as I watched his drive climb into the sky, that I'd easily be home for the football. My opponent, off 12, smashed a monstrous drive down the fairway that would almost have driven the green, except he went 50 yards left!! I thought if he hits a few of those straight I'd be in serous trouble!

Anyway, it was clear I was never going to even come close in a driving competition so I just played it steady. First hole, took a drive to the middle of the fairway, plonked it on in the heart of the green with an 8, and took my two putts for par......he had a difficult approach, overshot the green but hit a beauty of wedge coming back to tap in for his par, and the half. And that's the way it went for the first few holes.....him hitting outrageously long but sometimes wild drives, me plodding up the middle.

It was halves all the way to the sixth - a par 3 with dunes on one side, a steep fall off on the other and a large hollow in front......and a green like an upside-down dinner plate (the hardest par-5 on the course the old pro used to call it). Anyway, the shorter hole negated his distance advantage, and accentuated my directional consistency, and as he stuck one half way up one of the dunes, I dropped my tee shot left of the green in a little hollow. He blasted out and off the dune, but through the green, before a returning chip deprived of sufficient energy dropped and rolled back from the edge of the green......his next one was on, but I knocked it up then down for the par and first blood.

On the next hole, I had a shot and made it count to take it to two up. The hole after that was a dog-leg and his big drive went arrow straight and through the fairway into some pretty nasty rough, leaving him with a downhill below the feet lie, which he absolutely annihilated to send the ball another 200 yards towards the green but into another crazy lie, on the edge of a bunker so he had to take his stance with one leg in and one leg out. The subsequent shot went through the green and the return and two putts that followed got him a bogey to my par and three up.

At the ninth, a par 3, I took my usual bogey and his fine tee shot made for an easy par so it was back to two up at the turn.

Ten, was another dog leg and another of his drives through it and in the mess. This time the recovery went to the opposite side of the fairway and more rough. Same as before, I just tried to keep it safe, and I had my second on the apron from where I took my two putts for the par. He went through the back on his third but the returning putt was sunk. The shot I had on the hole made it three up though.

Eleven.....similar story. He out-drove the dog leg and struggled to recover, leaving me four up.

Twelve....a wobble. I lost a ball, then made a mess of the provisional I put in play, so despite having a shot on the courses index one, he took the honours, leaving it three to me and six to play.

I was quite satisfied with how I played the next hole. Instead of brooding over the cock-up I made of twelve, I got my focus back and hit my best drive of the evening......which was still a good 30 to 40 yards behind his. But our approach shots left us in very different positions, me with a long putt from the apron, him from a greenside bunker. His second attempt to get out left him with a short putt for the bogey but he conceded the hole as I had got down in two.

Four up and five to play, and at fourteen he hit another savagely long drive, while I took up station on the right of the fairway and well short of him and the green. I managed to gain the green with my second, as did he, before I rolled in a birdie (:)).....his two putt gave me the match 5&4.

It wasn't the worst golf I've played and it wasn't the best golf, but it was enough;)

......and good confidence booster in advance of my debut in Newsam Cup against Royal Tara this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Out in a 9 hole comp yesterday and what an evening for it too. The aim was to get a confidence boost after the previous few games. Finished off with 18 points so back on score with handicap which is an improvement

1 birdie
    4 pars
    3 bogeys
    1 dbl

Few wayward tee shots still need to be sorted out but back going in the right direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Really finding it tough to pin everything together at once. Recently joined a club and got a GUI of 18 flat. I would usually probably play to give or take 15 so was more than happy (was a true handicap based of cards I handed in). I've played in 2 competitions since and had 36 points (with 3 scratches) and then 38 points in Corbaliss with the 1 scratch. Originally my problem was my irons, could not consistently hit them solid, but I've managed to amend that and happy with how I strike them now. Played 9 holes at Margarets and after 3 holes I had 8 points. Finished with 14 points :mad: Birdied the first, then put a pitching wedge through the green on the 2nd. Relatively easy up and down, duffed the chip and left myself at the top of a tier putting down. Went about 9ft past and rolled it in for a mental bogey. 3rd hole, drive was well struck but slightly leaked behind a tree. Par 5 so tried to drill a 5 iron somewhat low, clipped a branch. Then had to play a wedge up and hit my 4th from about 80 yards. Pitched just right of the hole, missed the putt and another bogey. Remaining holes included being 25ft for birdie on a par 3 and 4 putting. Then losing one in the water on a par 5 and scratching it. Followed by a par on the last.

So essentially over 9 holes, I finished with 14 points and 2 scratches. Scored 3 on 2 holes, 2 on 3 & 1 on 2. Scratched 2. Out of interest what do people find is their standard scratch score (stableford wise). I get 36 points is playing to a handicap, but generally when I hear someone scoring 36 points I assume they've played quite well?

wardides wrote: »
    . Out of interest what do people find is their standard scratch score (stableford wise). I get 36 points is playing to a handicap, but generally when I hear someone scoring 36 points I assume they've played quite well?

My average in 2016 was 32.4, but struggling a swing change so far this year and am down to 27 :confused:. 36 points for me is rare, and need to be playing well to break that.

First decent round in a while.

4 over.

Stunning out - maybe some of the most perfect conditions you can get.

happy enough - changes in putting stroke bedding in and should now be able to take on cup more instead of outside right.

Still issues with swing path - short irons - but making actual good contact with the ball and recovering well.

Still not my best golf - but feel like something very good on the way. Just not enough birds yet

What a difference a day makes!!!! After the muck (13 pts on Tuesday) expectations were low, although a good session at range on Wed.

Started with a bird :) and played well along front 9, with a 20 yard chip to save a point:cool:, and 22 pts at the turn. Few silly mistakes; 2 bad bunker shots, an OOB and 2x 3-putts took the gloss of the card :(but very happy with the round overall. Finished on 37 pts. The lessons will pay-off and need to stay patient with the swing.

Stroke play off the tips (7000+ yards:eek:) this weekend for medal might be a different story though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

37 points in the glorious sunshine yesterday, has been coming and played well could easily have been 4-5 shots better if some putts had of dropped. Finished with a birdie which is always satisfying :D
    1 Birdie
    2 pars
    11 Bogies
    1 Double
    3 Triples

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played a 9 hole competition there yesterday evening, should have stayed out for the 18 as it was a fantastic day for it.
    Wasn't expecting much as haven't been playing well the last few rounds and things didn't exactly go to plan on Saturday in New Forest!!

I don't think I've ever struck the ball better in my life, nice high draw with my 3 wood and irons, i actually hit 8 out of the 9 greens in regulation (The one i missed i still got my par!) Only part of my game that was bad, and i mean really bad, was putting - I just couldn't get the ball in the hole. The greens were much slower than normal and usually i like them that way but i just couldn't get the pace of them after 9 holes. I three putted 5 of the F&*%ers :(

Love this time of year, drives go miles, only used driver 3 times and hit 2 well over 300 yards - with roll!! For anyone who knows Castle Barna in Daingean, 18th tee box, from the blues, I managed to hit the ball as far as the uphill dry drain before the green!! Now it probably rolled about 100 yards down the hill before hitting the upslope again but I've never hit it as far there in my life!! Still bogeyed the bugger though :(

Enjoyed the few holes and the 2 gentlemen I played with (who I never met before) were great company, hopefully a sign that things are on the up.

Scorchio out there.

Played in a fundraiser today, so the pins and tee positions were "nice" - 36 points including one birdie, 6 pars and 1 scratch.

An absolutely glorious day out there, I think if I didn't have a match tomorrow I'd be out for another 9 or 12 this evening :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

34 points off the blacks in St. Mgts today, May medal, and then the comp was cancelled with some scores returned. How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Played my first ever match play in the club singles today and won on the 19th.

Opponent was off 5 and im off 18 so I had plenty of shots. Opponent played well and finished the round 5 over and my round was 14 over (which is one off my best ever).

Had shots on first 3 holes and won the 1st with a par but lost second and halved third hole. No shots on 4-6 and went same way as 1- 3 so was all swuare after 6. Lost 7 to go one down and was blessed to get a half on 8 after a wayward tee shot and two more awful shots before scrambling for a 5 and an important half.

Highlight of round was birdie on par 5 ninth hole to sqaure up match at the turn I had only been 1 down for two holes and led from 10th to the 16th where he stuck his second to the pin to birdie the index 2 hole to square it up after I had been 2 up after 13.

Almost lost it on 17 with a duffed chip but got a half and almost won it on the 18th where a birdie putt agonisingly stopped an inch frok the hole. Back down the first then and a safe bogey was enough after opponent found trouble off the tee and had to play out.

Exciting game I really enjoyed match play I definitely used some advice from here that only one hole can be lost or won every hole and keep the head up if lose a hole.

Looking forward to the next round now.

34 points off the blacks in St. Mgts today, May medal, and then the comp was cancelled with some scores returned. How does that work?

Turns into a single stableford comp.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Turns into a single stableford comp.
    Of he had 34 points was it not already a stableford comp?

kieran. wrote: »
    Of he had 34 points was it not already a stableford comp?

Sorry I had presumed it was strokeplay.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

4th round in the low 30s.
    Driving costing 3 holes every round with lost balls on holes with no shots. lessons Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

33 points today in Athlone.

I'm hitting the ball super off the tee and my fairway shots arent bad either, but im leaking so much around the greens. 6 3-putts just isnt good enough and 2 of those 3-putts were from within 8 feet. That score gets me my third .1 back of the year out of 3 competitions played

But at least im hitting the ball good - taking the positives! ;)

44 points with a scratch in the weekend stableford. Playing off 18, which is a little generous, but was based off 3 cards I handed in over winter. Getting back out now on a consistent basis and this seems to be the difference. Putting still needs to be improved massively, but plenty to work with. Hopefully will reach my 2017 target of 13 before the year is out.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, so MODs feel free to move. I'm looking to get my putter regripped. Friend has regripped his with SuperStroke thick grip and feels very solid. Seem to be killing myself on short puts and generally the club feels very unstable/pushy over anything from 10ft. Some of it might be mental (by some, more than likely all) but my putter grip is tearing from the top regardless so this seems like a no brainer anyway. Anyone any experience in using one?

• Advertisement

wardides wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this, so MODs feel free to move. I'm looking to get my putter regripped. Friend has regripped his with SuperStroke thick grip and feels very solid. Seem to be killing myself on short puts and generally the club feels very unstable/pushy over anything from 10ft. Some of it might be mental (by some, more than likely all) but my putter grip is tearing from the top regardless so this seems like a no brainer anyway. Anyone any experience in using one?

I bought mine on Amazon and my local pro fitted it for free, took no more than a few minutes, you could probably do it yourself if required.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement