Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Challenge Cup Qualifier in Castleknock last Sunday. Got off to a great start and I was only +1 through 6, but a soft 3 putt after missing the green on par 3 7th was frustrating. Bounced back par, par to turn +3 and 21 points. 3 putts followed on 10, 11, 15 & 17 :( to come home +10 and 15 points. So a dissapointing 36 points really and moreso, a missed opportunity to get a half decent cut. :mad:

17 was a short tricky putt for par, about 4ft, but about 10 inches of break and downhill. I barely touched in and it looked in all the way, only to slip by and keep going about 15 foot past the hole and I couldn't hold the one back. I also missed about 3 foot on the index 1 15th for par. So I'm gonna call that 7 soft shots I dropped on the greens. I need to work on that badly, it's been creeping back into my game recently where I had been reasonably solid putter. A 36 points that could have easily been 43+ but for my inability to hold it together on the greens. Though to be fair, I did hold a few longish ones 15ft or so that I would have been equally happy to 2 putt. Chipping was spot on and left me good opportunitys to get up and down, so my work there is paying dividends.

Still, signs are there, keep the head up and fight on. Matchplay this week, I won it before 2 years ago, didn't get to defend last year so hoping I can give it a good run again and maybe get my name on the trophy for a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Played in a Strokes comp on Saturday, one of the big comps of the year. Had been feeling confident going into it so hoping for a good score.

Opened with a regulation par, just left the 10ft birdie putt short. Which then was followed by a double, triple, triple, double so 10 over on the 6th tee! Steadied the ship abit by getting 2 pars on the next two holes. The 8th is a 580yard par 5 with water all the way down the right of the fairway and a lake on the left. Left myself with 260 to the front into the wind so said I'd lay up and leave myself a wedge. Straight into the water! Drop, put the next in the water and then same again. Eventually walk off with a 10!!

Managed to finish +2 for the last 10 holes to get something going from my round and can bring that into the next time I play. Was ready to give up the game and take up cycling at one point.

Having got down to 6.5 slowly creeping my way back up with 6 x0.1s so need to find a buffer or a little cut soon

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

got too drunk saturday night, woke up 30 mins before tee time with a splitting headache.

proceeded to the course. 1st drive had the ball flight of an 8 iron.

+5 through 5, thinned two chips on 6 and walked off. far too drunk/hungover to be anywhere near a golf course. never again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Had 37 points the weekend, off 15.4. Just on the standard scratch mark so no movement this week. Pretty happy with the round considering I had 2 points after 3. So I went 5 up through 15 which is good going. Putter on fire. Have my first lesson with a pro tomorrow. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Scored a 36 today in Grange Castle which I'm happy with playing off 18. It included a 30ft put for par on the 11th which earned me a high five. Came off the course 10 euro richer than going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Finally got a round back in the 70's 79 for 36 points today in Lucan. But the 10 was played off a very forward tee so made the course play maybe a shot easier

35 points.

1 birdie
    6 pars
    10 bogeys
    1 double

was +5 through 12 but finished with 6 bogeys, mostly poor putting.

Disappointed after putting myself in a good position with 6 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Great Round yesterday in very windy conditions played the best golf so far this year. 38 points CCS was 33 so earned my self a nice little 1.6 shot cut now off 19 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

34 points yesterday having lost four feckin' balls from the tee, playing off 14. My ball striking went from the sublime to the ridiculous but if I found my tee-shot then I played alright. Holed absolutely everything from inside 10/12 feet which was really pleasing. First 8 holes were kinda bad tbh but was only 3 over gross from 9-17, got myself from 4 down back to level. Then of course lost the tee shot on 18. I really feel I have a 40 point round in me but just can't keep it going for 18 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

41 points off 13 on Friday after catching the best part of the day weather wise. One birdie, one double, the rest very steady and missed a par putt on the last for a 79 which would have been me breaking 80 for the fist time. Today 29 points off 12 in at times very unpleasant conditions. Was level twos for 11 but battling the weather got to me towards the end.

Overall I'm finding a bit of form though. My second 80 this year after awful chipping trouble at the start of the season. Hitting my irons a lot better, too. I take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Struggled in the wind on Saturday to get 29 points but CSS was 32 so just outside the buffer zone so another 0.1 back. That is 7 in a row now so back up to 7.2

On the bright side, I got my first ever eagle on a par 5 in competition. Driver, 7 iron into 4 feet and a putt. Roasted my driver well over 300 yards, furthest I've ever been down on that hole so had 165 to the pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

A tale of 2 rounds.

Captains qualifier Friday, very windy out but hit the ball solid and drained some long putts. Finished net 68, to bag a spot in the final group going out sunday:D

Very wet Sunday, started well, 2 pars and was going steady until the 7th. Two drives OOB and walked off with a 10:eek:. Never really recovered, a mix of bogeys and doubles. Ground got so wet with the rain, and I duffed about 8 chips :(

Anyways, dropped out of the running but did get a 1.5 cut for the qualifier so down to my lowest ever handicap of 17.0, and a box of balls for best qualifier:)

There's always next year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Non qualifying event yesterday. Only shot 28 points. Had a lesson during the week so I'm working through some stuff. Didn't count towards GOTY and Handicap so I'm not too bothered. Another lesson now Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

40 points off 15.0 on Powerscourt East - White tees. (Cut of 1.2 ;))
    Was 1 under gross after 5... :eek: - (should have been 3 under!!)
    Could have been better but delighted the improvement in form is continuing after a run of 4 x 0.1's back
    Started the year at 18.7 - Now down to 13.8 -
    Very happy with progress and know I can go lower :D

34 points on saturday in breezy conditions. 3 1 pointers on 13,14,15 killed my round.
    37 on sunday. CSS was 69 (par 70) which only one fella broke, thought i'd get cut a small bit. Happy enough though as it got me 8 points in golfer of the year, 5 points behind 3rd. Top 2 are running away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

38 points in Knockanally on Saturday. First time out since early June and only the second full round of the year. Incredibly happy with that. I scored on every hole, including a couple of pars (including one on the tricky par-3 11th) and a chip-in birdie on the long fourth. It was breezy without being too disruptive, and we had just one shower of rain. A great day out and the course was in very good nick.

If only I was playing more regularly. My aim for the autumn is to rejoin a club - probably back to Palmerstown Stud.

76 Gross, +6 for 40 points off 10.

2 Birdies
    10 Pars
    4 Bogeys
    2 Doubles

Started with a terrible double after hitting a small chip into a greenside bunker.
    Another 3 putt for the other double bogey after leaving myself with no shot to green with drive.
    Could have maybe holed more putts, 6 more make-able birdie putts missed and missed a 3 footer for par on front 9.

Iron play has improved a good bit after my lesson, striking them cleaner and i'm not getting the weak slice which was causing me all sorts of bother.

CSS should be 69 so probably get cut to 9.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

83 strokes, 36 points off 11 in nasty conditions today.

1 birdie
    6 pars
    10 bogeys
    1 double

Some strong gusts & caught in some heavy downpours so happy with the score given the conditions.

Only 2 weeks & 2nd round since a lesson so pretty chuffed to be getting in range of a cut. A week ago was all over the place.

No scratches but a few sloppy efforts at up & downs.

Good birdie to finish. Finding it hard to get much out of the par 3s on my home course. There are only 3 of them & have no stroke on any so not much room for error

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Great round of 79 earlier today in Monthly Medal. It's my best round ever at club since joining in 2016. I was convinced a good round was coming as my game is getting back to its best over the last 2 months. No secret other than hitting every fairway and giving myself opportunities to have some birdie attempts and getting my putter into action from greenside for steady up and downs. Very consistent with 14 pars, 2 Bogeys and 2 Doubles so finished 6 over. Just got confirmation from club that I finished first so I'm delighted to have realised a longtime goal of winning a Monthly Medal. A nice cut to handicap coming as well which will get me back down where I believe I should be. When I joined the club my handicap was 11.7 and had drifted in the wrong direction out to 13.7 Hopefully improvement continues and I can end the season strongly.

Just seen that nice juicy cut of 2.3 has been applied.........Back down to 11.4 which is long overdue. :):)

Played crap yesterday in the intermediate scratch cup in Castleknock. Came 5th with an 88 and 4th net 74 which also looks like it earned me a cut, I think I seen css was 75.
    If I had played the way I did in Greystones I would have shot well into the 90's. The course is just to forgiving for bad shots. I did scramble well though, but my putting was poor with a few 3 putts and even a 4 putt, mind you the pins were in some stinking positions, don't think I've ever seen them set up so hard. 2 balls in the water on the 5th ultimately cost me as 85 won and 87 was second, third and fourth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

37 points (82 strokes) off 13 in Tullamore.

1 birdie
    9 pars
    3 bogies
    5 doubles

Really don't know what to think about today's round. Started with a sloppy double after catching greenside bunker and then 3-putting. But then went on my best run of holes this year. Played some fabulous golf, particularly on the front nine which I finished in +3. Parred 10, then on 11 I had a 4 foot putt for birdie which I really should have sank.

Then on 13 the meltdown started. After a fabulous drive down the middle, I was standing over the ball with all kinds of stuff going through my head. Instead of stepping away from the ball I hit it and duffed it about 20 yards down the fairway. Next I thin it through the green, good chip back but miss short putt and walk away with a 6. Then doubled the index 1 after shanking my approach.

Steadied the ship with a nice par on the par 5. Then another double, another nice par on 17. Par on 18 would have given me 39 but another duffed pitch and I walked off with another double.

I have to take the good out of the game. 9 pars and a birdie, very long time since I had that many on the card. But 4 doubles in the last 6 holes left a very sour taste.

Fingers crossed for a small cut....

Edit- CSS was 72 for visitors so a 0.3 cut. Happy to have got it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Captains prize on Sunday. I had a hourrendous front 9 and with 7 pars back to back from 12 to 18 pulled it out of the fire. Steve Wonder would have putted better🙈 but only playing the last two years so well happy

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

35 points off 12 on Sunday, Gosnells GC Western Australia (Par 70)

7 Pars, 9 Bogeys, 2 Doubles
    After the strangest run in competition golf in a long time i finally posted a decent score. 2 Doubles on the 17th &18th when putting for birdie on both cost me a shot at winning on the day but there are plenty more positives to take from the round and now to try do it in competitions more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

first 18 holes in a month. 33 points off 13 in bad weather, high winds and heavy showers.
    19 for front nine 14 back.
    1 birdie, 5 pars, 10 bogeys 2 scratches (lost balls) competition ended up being void due to lack of entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

played Sunday and Monday, in The Heritage and The Heath,
    had 36 points both days,
    got cut 0.6 for Sunday and in the bubble yesterday,
    so off 15 again. at last,
    the road to 12 continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

1 Up VPar yesterday in fairly breezy conditions in Rosses Point. 3 Dn on Front 9: it was hard (but not that f'ing hard!). 4 Up on Back 9, finished 3, 4, 3, 3, 4, 3 which sent me home happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

1 Up VPar yesterday in fairly breezy conditions in Rosses Point. 3 Dn on Front 9: it was hard (but not that f'ing hard!). 4 Up on Back 9, finished 3, 4, 3, 3, 4, 3 which sent me home happy!

Fantastic Finish on what is a tough stretch of holes.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Macker1 wrote: »
    Fantastic Finish on what is a tough stretch of holes.....:D

As you might have guessed, it was with the wind on the way home, makes it a bit easier!

32 points in last night's stableford.

Chances of a win was over after 8 holes. Double bogey on 1st, 2 lost balls on 8.

Recovered well on the back 9 and had a chance of hitting buffer but another 2 doubles put an end to that goal.

Club selection must have cost me 5 shots last night, ball was flying much longer and i failed to adjust. The work i did in my lesson and new ball position is also getting me more distance. Just need to think more.

4th in golfer of the year with 10 events left. Need 3 more good rounds to get top 3 and in the money.

• Advertisement

Finally, at long last a really decent score, but it could of been even do much better.

Medal in Castleknock. +1 through 9 which should have been level and could of been -1. A silly miss from 2 foot on the index 18 5th hole was frustrating and a great putt on the second from about 18 foot that stopped right in the jaws, half a roll from dropping in the cup. Highlight of the front 9 was my second birdie for a 2 on the 9th hole to earn a share of the pot, hopefully a nice few quid.

The 10th hole is always my nemises, it's actually not a hard par 5, 3 7 irons can get you there. But my second shot was pulled a little left and left me with the ball above my feet and despite aiming well right of the hole the wedge in still turned over to much and found the drink left of the green. A shank followed my drop and I somehow managed to stay on the green and 2 putt from about 60 foot. Steadied the ship with a few pars and a solid bogey on the index 1. Was actually a bit dissapointed with that as I was greenside in 2 and I had been chipping stone dead all day but I caught a tuft of grass on my backswing and duly duffed it. Should of birdied the 16th from about 4foot but somehow the ball stayed on the top side of the cup and refused to drop. First real bad shot of the day on the 17th tee a snap hook so far left it was in trees left of the next fairway and I was faced with an unplayable lie. A poor approach saw me with another very difficult and we'll made 2 putt for a 6. Finished with another nice chip to close out with a par and +5 on the back 9, +6 overall and -7 off my handicap of 13.

Well my old handicap, that should get me down to my lowest handicap ever and a 65 should give me a great chance to win the medal. Happy out

Advertisement