Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

Played in our fourball matchplay competition last night in Ballykisteen. My game was reasonably decent. Shot roughly 36 points on my own card and we won the match 2 up. Hopefully I can keep it going for Saturday now in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

40 pts yesterday, preferred lies in place.

Putting was rock solid no 3 putts! 1 8ft eagle putt that lipped out. That 2 iron will forever be in my heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

32 points Saturday off 7

2 birdies, but 2 doubles. Didn't have a lot of GIR's so was under pressure for up and downs all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

34pts off 8 - disaster with only 6 points on the last 6 holes :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Russman wrote: »
    34pts off 8 - disaster with only 6 points on the last 6 holes :eek::eek:

Same as that, but for 32 off 17. Just blew up on the last stretch :( Putting was very poor, at least 5 3-putts

The positive though was a new stiff shaft on the driver. Felt a lot better and first round without a single huge slice off the tee, probably ever.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

martinkop wrote: »
    Just blew up on the last stretch

Funny thing is I probably only hit 3, maybe 4, bad shots in that stretch and got the worse breaks imaginable with each one. Ahh well, such is golf/life...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Played in a friendly skins comp in Dromoland. Off the blues and was 19 over. 5 shots higher than my handicap but was an experience to play a super long course off the hard tees. Back to standard stableford in my local next Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

40 pts off 14 yesterday (16 front, 24 back)

2 birdies
    7 pars
    7 bogeys
    2 doubles

81 total, getting closer to breaking 80

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Kilkenny with the Boardsies

2 Birdies
    7 Pars
    7 bogeys
    1 Double :(
    1 Quadruple :mad:

+10 front 9, +1 back 9

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

lads, card from my local, too good not to post, not mine!

426491.png

• Advertisement

V par fourball today. We finished 5up, couple of brainfarts between us, could of and should of been a couple better.
    I had 2 birdies, 7 pars, 5 bogeys, 3 doubles & a scratch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

39 Points off 15.5 today. 11 pars, 3 bogeys, 2 doubles and 2 blanks. Won the comp and now 2nd in GOTY with two comps left. Down to 14.7 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭BOB81

Won monthly medal with a net 64 yesterday - +8 on the front 9 and +1 on the back. Struck the ball well but chipped and putted (27 putts) really well and that made all the difference, my best putting performance in a long while (possibly ever).

CSS was 71 so cut from 16.5 to 14.4, great to get a cut in before the end of the year and first ever win in a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Club Swap with Lucan GC over the weekend. Scored terribly, 23 points, 93 strokes. First round in the 90s for quite some while, but its been 3 weeks or so since my last round so I'll give myself a pass :o

Driver was really wild, but was hitting 3wood off the tee really well, generally a baby draw & averaged 240 yards (according to GameGolf) so maybe don't need the driver as much as I think!

Needless to say, given its a few weeks without playing, the part of my game that suffered most was the short game, in particular my mid-range pitching.

Swing-change from before my holidays is still not fully bedded, but feels like its slowly getting there. Need a bit more practice & a couple of rounds before Captains with Boards down in Killarney in a couple of weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm not sure whats happening to me at the moment. I'm not a fantastic golfer, I'm ok I guess. I'm off 12 and I had a pretty average season. But the last two weeks I've been atrocious. Can't hit the ball out of my way. Somehow scramble to a buffer zone or a 32 points result. Don't ask me how. But today was taking the biscuit. Actually topped the ball 3 times, knocked two drives, sliced one out of the park, irons, don't get me started, hadn't done any of that in years.

Now I'm not overly concerned. I suppose its a concentration thing. Head not in the right space for golf, I'll be grand, but boy its no fun doing that. Did anyone have that happen to them, can that happen just like that or should I see a doctor?

I'm not sure whats happening to me at the moment. I'm not a fantastic golfer, I'm ok I guess. I'm off 12 and I had a pretty average season. But the last two weeks I've been atrocious. Can't hit the ball out of my way. Somehow scramble to a buffer zone or a 32 points result. Don't ask me how. But today was taking the biscuit. Actually topped the ball 3 times, knocked two drives, sliced one out of the park, irons, don't get me started, hadn't done any of that in years.

Now I'm not overly concerned. I suppose its a concentration thing. Head not in the right space for golf, I'll be grand, but boy its no fun doing that. Did anyone have that happen to them, can that happen just like that or should I see a doctor?

Go see the Doc man. We all need a check up every now and again :) I bet it is something simple, hand position, shoulders to high or something like that.

Medal at the weekend in pretty miserable conditions with the wind & rain. Started pretty poorly & was 5 over through the opening 3 holes.

On the 4th had one of those surprise shots that I'll probably never experience again. Hit a good hybrid off the tee, left a gap wedge in. Pulled it slightly & ended up in the greenside bunker. It was pretty wet already at that stage. Ended up catching the ball a bit thin & flying the ball through the green. Left about a 25-30yrd pitch back on to a slightly elevated green (relative to my position). Caught it well but looked to be too much power. The ball flew through the air & slam-dunked straight into the hole without a single bounce to salvage a par, with what looked like another likely double.

Didn't play great for the rest of the front 9, and was 12 over starting the back 9 (handicap of 11). Had consigned myself to the 0.1 at that stage.

But things clicked well on the back 9. Ended up shooting 3 over for the inward holes. Should have been 1 over, missed 2 short make-able putts. Had a nice 2 on the 17th to get a share of the pot too, which is a bonus.

So, shot 87, for a net 76.

CSS came in at 74, so managed to scrape in to my buffer & dodge the 0.1 in the end. Almost felt like getting a cut to be honest based on where the round was heading

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Last Medal of the year on Saturday in very windy and rainy conditions. Had a mixed bag of a front 9 with 6 bogeys and 3 pars. Struck the ball very well but made 3x 3 putts which was very frustrating as I felt a better score going.

Birdied 2 of the first 3 to get my round going again but then another 3 putt on 14 and then in the water on 15 to go to +1 for back 9, +7 overall. Par on 16 and great par on 17 into the wind. Par 5 18, was perfect shape in two into the wind, 30 yards short. Chipped up to the pin, caught a bit of check then the wind just took the ball to front of the green. Ended up with a 3 putt again to finish Net 80, gross 73. CSS was 75 for the day so a 0.4 cut so happy to get back down below 7.0.

Sunday had semi final of the fourball, very even number of shots given so was going to be a tight game. We were 1 down after 2 but then 4 birdies in a row and we were 3 up on the 7th tee. Never really let up the lead to win 5&3 in the end so great to be in the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭finglashoop

First time out in Stackstown on sunday 25pts off 18. Its a tough enough walk but a lovely course in great condition

Weather was windy but we were out early enough to miss the rain. I found the greens reading, the break near impossible to judge. Some weird putts that had an obvious break that never moved at all.

played only ok last saturday, i think i played better that than my score suggested, a poor 27 points, to many 3 putts, 5 of them and a lost ball that was beside the green somehere probably hiding under a leaf :(

seem to be on a roll the last few weeks where I am on form one week then a poor round the following. hopefully an omen for Saturday coming for society Captains in Killarney, but dosed up with Man Flu atm and think I may struggle on the new lower handicap on a course I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Won my first prize playing golf at the weekend in the President's prize. Shot net 70 (off 20) to get best score on first day. Play off did not get well though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

9 hole comp last week, walked away with 26 points 🙊

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Getting a lot more consistent lately, few three putts on Sunday but when we started there was a lot of dew on the greens but when it dried out on back 9 they were lightening fast.

3 of the last 4 rounds were good scores, pity it’s coming so late in the year.

Had 30 points Sunday morning, didn’t feel like I was scoring well as I only had 2 pars but lots of tap in bogies kept the card going.

A mixed bag of golf at the weekend. Managed to get the permission slip sorted & got games in on Saturday & Sunday.

Saturday, 26 points
    Sunday, 37 points

Conditions were definitely worse on Saturday. They've had to introduce placing on the fairways in my place now. Still qualifying, but an ominous sign that Winter golf is on the way. Was striking the ball reasonably well on both days, but having a nasty pull with my irons sneaking in to my game put extra pressure on my short game. The biggest difference between the 2 days was my short game & putting.

Saturday:
    FIR: 5/15
    GIR: 2/18
    Scramble: 6%
    Putts: 36

Sunday:
    FIR: 7/15
    GIR: 5/18
    Scramble: 30%
    Putts: 29

Sunday could have been a lot better. Had a great front 9, finishing with 21 points. Then started the back 9 Birdie, Bogey, Par to have 28 points through 12 holes. On to the index 18 par 3 13th. Didn't hit a great tee shot, missed the green right, but was left with a simple chip & figured I'd a rock solid chance of an up & down. Proceeded to play like I had on Saturday & thin the ball through the far side of the green. Chipped back on from the far side, but left myself a downhill breaking putt of about 5 feet which I missed to scratch my first of the day.

Managed to bounce back with a par & a bogey on the next 2 holes to be sitting on 33 points through 15 holes. Should have scored well on 16, its a long par 4, made longer by the soft conditions. I hit a great drive to leave about 170yrd to the pin. Made a complete balls of it, failing to be on the green 2 shots later. Left with an up & down to make a bogey, lipped out the putt to walk off with a point. 17, par 3, found the greenside bunker. Splashed out nicely, but left a tricky putt which I missed. A bogey & another 1 pointer. 18 is a long par 5, finished with a handy enough bogey which should have been a good chance at a par after another strong drive.

So 37 points & a small cut to cancel out 2 0.1s in a row. Had 40 points in me comfortably, it wouldn't have won the comp, but even 39 would have gotten me down to 10 for the first time ever.

Hopefully can squeeze in 1 final decent round before qualifying ends for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Played Saturday in my first Hamper of the year in wet and windy conditions off the Whites. Out in 20pts, made a silly bogey on the 9th, short par 5 that was reachable in two but pulled my teeshot into the trees but got it on to the green in regulation but made a bad 3 putt.

Back in 15 points with two scratches where I drove into bunkers then proceeded to put the next into the greenside bunker and made a mess of getting a point. Overall 35 points but it managed to get my 2nd place overall on countback but due to the person in 1st having penalty points deducted, due to previous Hamper competition, I won my first ever Hamper prize.

Sunday was Club Fourball final, we were 3 & 7 up against 1 & 12 so we had some shots. Opened -2 for first 3 holes to go 3up and never really let is slip. We had 7 birdies overall and won it 5&3 so had our best performance in the final. My first ever win in a club matchplay so nice to get that bucket list ticked. Next is to try and win a Singles one!

Give or take a few given putts, I was level par on my own card for 15 holes which is pleasing nice way to finish off the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

34 points off 18 in Beaverstown, finally feel like I am getting back to normal after getting kidney removed 6 weeks ago. There was a 19 and a couple of low 20s.

CSS was 38 so still a way away from getting back into the buffer zone.

3 pars
    11 bodeys
    3 doubles
    1 scratch

I have hit my 1 shot max move in a year now. Does that mean that I sit on the handicap for the rest of the year.

Thankfully I am not getting any side effects from the drugs I am to clear up the rest of the cancer. Do people think I should tell my handicap secretary as I am not sure if I can get back playing my old handicap

Weather was perfect btw apart from a tiny bit soft underfoot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Shot my best round ever yesterday to win in Lucan.
    43 points off 18 and won by 9 shots! Always been a very casual golfer and only got my first handicap of 18 this summer after finally retiring from football. Been slowly chipping away at it but with standard scratch about 34 yesterday I'm probably looking at a 2-3 shot cut now!

Started very poorly yesterday - bogey, double, bogey and double on first 4 holes but managed to play the next 14 in only +5 gross with 3 birdies which is excellent for me. Pity the form is coming late in the year but I'll hopefully get a few lessons over the winter and give getting that handicap down a good crack next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

35 points in Ardee

4 scratches, a few pars and a par 5 eagle with some bogeys and double mixed in.

Playing well enough, just some bad shots cost me here and there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Took a few hours off yesterday and met a friend for a round at my course. Was raging to see the "Winter Rules" sign up by the first tee. Have hit a bit of form lately and was hoping for a cut or two before winter really kicks in.

Started off well, decent drive down the first, pin high with approach but made a mess of putting - walked off with a 5.
    Edge of green in 2 on second, walked off with a 6, another 3 putt :(
    Put a ball in the water on next hole, index 3 par 3 but got up and down with next ball, that kick started my round and finished the front 9 with a 3 pars and a few bogies.
    Back 9 is much longer but played well, driving went a tad AWOL for 2 or 3 holes but I scrambled well and was 7 over for the 9 and 20 points - went well with the 19 from the front to give me 39......but no cut.:mad::mad:

Still, no scratches and if i cut out the 3 putts (all my fault) my game is getting better and better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I let a decent opportunity slip last weekend. I was level par after 8 holes, scratched the 9th. Three pars on the next three, so was sitting with 29 points after 12 holes. Scratched the next three, and bogeyed the last three for 34 points.

34pt off 13

2 birdies
    7 pars
    4 bogeys
    1 double
    4 scratches

Advertisement