Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Put in my third of three cards today for my handicap. Its taken me 3 months to get them done, time is not my friend at the moment :(
    First card was 101, second was 108 and today was 97 so a bit all over the place.
    SSS is 65 I think so I'm told the handicap should be in or around 22ish, that sound right??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

davegilly wrote: »
    Put in my third of three cards today for my handicap. Its taken me 3 months to get them done, time is not my friend at the moment :(
    First card was 101, second was 108 and today was 97 so a bit all over the place.
    SSS is 65 I think so I'm told the handicap should be in or around 22ish, that sound right??

Depends on your hc secretary but a few shots either side if it yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

if you put up the par for each hole and the score on each of the three rounds we should be able get close enough

Corballis?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rubbadubdub

Finally got my 3rd card in for H'Cap. Hadn't played in good few months due to a couple of knee operations. Scored 105 and played awful with only 1 par for the day. Put that with my 91 and 99 for previous 2 cards so hoping to get somewhere around the 18 mark :)

Looking forward to actually getting out now and playing a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Yesterday played in the semi-final of a match play club cup competition. My opponent has been consistently golfer of the year, captains day and presidents prize winner the last number of years. Beat him on the 18th !!!! IM IN THE FU*KING FINAL !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Final round of golfer of the year today and posted a nice 43 points including a scratch hole. Playing off 17 so expecting a big cut coming up!! Dont know how the other lads got on so could end up from 1st to 3rd ???

• Advertisement

Got 18. Probably a bit low for my ability but something to aim for I suppose.
    Not Corballis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

First game in a month today. 30 points in donabate. Was short on every approach bar one, all day. From 100 yards or less i was 5- 10 yards short every time. Frustrating. Started slow, to be expected, with 12 points front, picked up a bit for 18 on the back.

Highlight of the day was my partners 6 iron to about a foot for birdied on a par five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Real mixed bag for the last couple of weeks.

Weekend before last I went out on the Saturday and Sunday comps and shot 21 on the front nine on both days then had to struggle on the last three on the Sat to make the buffer and on Sunday just about managed to eke out a 0.3 cut.

Then, weekend just gone......the opposite - blistering first 3 holes on both days....followed by a brace of double bogeys and a scratch in the 6 that followed, before scoring 19 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday on the back 9 :confused:

In the case of the 19pts on Saturday, they came off 8 holes and included 1 double bogey.

I figure next week I'll put it altogether then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

First round since early september.

Only 16 holes open and handicap reduced to 4 to reflect 2 less holes.

23 points (dead last in the comp) with 2 lost balls, 2 three putts but I couldn't have expected any better due to not playing.
    Had a run where i was level par through 6 holes around the turn so there's still something there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

37 Points (19/18 split) with 1 scratch on back 9.

Played the 7 holes after the scratch in gross 1 over. Zero 3 putts was nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Played scramble on Friday night, glow int he dark golf.
    -5 for 9 holes
    wasn't good enough to win, or even come in the top 3!!!!!!!
    winners were -2 but beat us with the shots they had. 2 28 handicappers.
    noticed though it was full handicaps... surely should of been half the handicaps being only 9 holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Saturday; 20pts on front, 10 on back...
    Sunday; 23pts on front, 13 on back...

moving forward, I'm entering 9 hole comps only!!! :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

So after getting a few 0.1's back the last few weeks decided to take yesterday off as had a bit to do and could play in the Tuesday open singles in my club :D could well be the last qualifying event of the year as this weekend there seems to be scrambles or team events on everywhere!!

Went out with are clubs competition secondary who turns out to be a Dub also living in the sticks always a plus! :D

Had 39pts 88 strokes lost out on third on a count back! Chuffed to break 90 again starting to do it regularly now and starting to hit a bit of form Typical as season ends.. :rolleyes:

It seemed like a casual game on the back 9 as we got engrossed into talking about the club and I some how got roped into helping out next year in been on the committee in some form weather it been helping the competition secondary or whatever as their short on volunteers.. and took my eye off the ball scoring wise really should've gone much lower!

Had no scratches which is always nice! but lipped almost everything!

He actually won the comp with 41pts off 9 super playing and was really nice to play with a single figure golfer and pick his brain! got a good chipping lesson at the end which seems to be working a treat so was chuffed with that!

Only got a 0.3 cut as css was 38, wasnt chuffed with that! way too high imo but always is at my club!

Finally got my 3rd card in for H'Cap. Hadn't played in good few months due to a couple of knee operations. Scored 105 and played awful with only 1 par for the day. Put that with my 91 and 99 for previous 2 cards so hoping to get somewhere around the 18 mark :)

Looking forward to actually getting out now and playing a bit more.

Got H'Cap of 15 so lots of work to do to try and play to this now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Continuing to play very well tee to green but putting is a big let down. Unless it's dead I have the yips form 2-4 feet. So many 3 putts this week. Still scoring well though. 37 got me 2nd in an open on Monday and 36 got me 2nd today.
    Have lost 3 shots in past 2 weeks. Down to 15.4 from 18.4!

30 points in a howling, horrible gale with squally rain yesterday morning......

.....it felt a bit like this.....

ThePerfectStorm-Still17.jpg?partner=allmovie_soap

....just bad luck that I chose an early slot when it cleared up nicely in the afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jawgap wrote: »

....just bad luck that I chose an early slot when it cleared up nicely in the afternoon!

Yes but Galvin Green dungarees are unreal - it cleared up the weather.

Yes but Galvin Green dungarees are unreal - it cleared up the weather.

Indeed - there is no such thing as bad weather only the wrong gear......conditions remained 'trying' - for every 180 yard drive I also had a 180 yard 7 iron :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Got H'Cap of 15 so lots of work to do to try and play to this now :)

Where the hell did they pull 15 out of?

What score to par were you with your cards?

It seems ridic unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Jawgap wrote: »

The Donald is able to shoot 73 (unknown if net or gross) in wet and windy conditions, so you're just not trying hard enough... :P

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Where the hell did they pull 15 out of?

What score to par were you with your cards?

It seems ridic unfair

I just said the above as myself and a friend of mine both got our handicaps back for the first time in years after getting membership in a South Tipp club.

I put in cards of +19 +19 and +18.. He put in +17, +18 and +18

I got given a H-Cap is 14, he got 13.

I thought it was awfully unfair. Killing off your comp chances straight away pretty much. I asked where they got the figures of 13 and 14 from and their reply was 'your three cards'.

I just didn't want to start acting the bollox by goading them on then but I'm not particularly happy.

4 below your lowest card.

Our club worked with 2 below lowest card. Not sure what the proper standard should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Playing reasonably well atm. Very steady off the tee and good irons. With the exception of iron tee shots strangely enough. Still, 33, 35 & 39 were my last three rounds. The latter got me a little cut and I recorded my first ever competition eagle, too. Onwards and upwards.

4 below your lowest card.

Our club worked with 2 below lowest card. Not sure what the proper standard should be!

Seems very unfair. Three cards isn't a big sample size but I'd have assumed they'd take the average.

Seems very unfair. Three cards isn't a big sample size but I'd have assumed they'd take the average.

Newly issued and re-issued handicaps tend to be conservative. A regular cat 3 handicap golfer probably bests or matches their handicap only every 6th or 7th round. Someone who is new to club golf and the course and goes out and shoots a 90 can be reasonably expected to have an 85 in them. Plus the HC secretary would be in a world of pain if his newly issued handicaps started winning comps straight away. Lads who get 18 shoot about 100.

I just said the above as myself and a friend of mine both got our handicaps back for the first time in years after getting membership in a South Tipp club.

I put in cards of +19 +19 and +18.. He put in +17, +18 and +18

I got given a H-Cap is 14, he got 13.

I thought it was awfully unfair. Killing off your comp chances straight away pretty much. I asked where they got the figures of 13 and 14 from and their reply was 'your three cards'.

I just didn't want to start acting the bollox by goading them on then but I'm not particularly happy.

I put in three cards of +33 +40 and +30 and got 18 :) I'm not going to win much, am I!!!! I was a bit annoyed as I was told I would probably get 22 but its something to aim for over the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I can't remember my exact score for the cards but they were around 95-100 and I got 21.

Back on topic,

Worst round in a few months today in Knightsbrook. Could barely strike an iron while the driver mostly stayed where it has been for the last few months.

FWIW when I was new I handed cards in that were around 105 to 115 or so, got 18. I thought it was harsh at the time, but I think I understand how the handicap system works better now.

Newly issued and re-issued handicaps tend to be conservative. A regular cat 3 handicap golfer probably bests or matches their handicap only every 6th or 7th round. Someone who is new to club golf and the course and goes out and shoots a 90 can be reasonably expected to have an 85 in them. Plus the HC secretary would be in a world of pain if his newly issued handicaps started winning comps straight away. Lads who get 18 shoot about 100.

Thats where i'm currently at - The first card i played the players i was playing with marked anything over double bogey as double bogey so gross 91 was in reality probably 99 as well, they said didn't matter as everything knocked down to double bogey. That wasn't the case in either of the other rounds where I recorded every score.

Anyway no massive sour grapes about it, This is the HCap is started on when I was a Junior member 20 years ago before I took long break from the game so have the ability to play to this and better with practice

• Advertisement

My scores this year range from 70 to 90 with the average probably around 80. Average certainty wouldn't be a fair representation for me and I don't think applying the average will work for a new member either as they will always improve and even gain shots from just learning the course.

Advertisement