Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

39 points off 14 (83 gross 69 net)

10 pars
    5 bogies
    1 double
    2 scratches (doubles on holes i didnt have shots. One was a terrible tee shot into trouble, the other was a 3 putt)

I really want to break 80 gross. Should get a small cut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

32 points with a scratch. driving which is usually my strong point letting me down. Pulling 70%+ of my shots left off the tee or else a strong fade. Being out of position or worse, OOB costing me shots and points.

End of my golf year last weekend though next time i am back on the course will be for non-qualifying winter comps and trying to make out a plan on how to improve over the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Another few rounds that have all been so close..... but no banana!
    After hitting the buffer finally a week ago, some really nice ball striking on Tuesday in Castleknock saw me heading for 2 buffers on the trot but a few hail marys on the back 9 saw me fall away from target, silly 3 putts really but my ball striking is improving with regular play.

Played Saturday, was early so got to whack a few at the range first and was feeling good. Of course ended up running to the first then and loosing a ball with my first shot! After that though played really well again, I had a great run starting on the fourth I played to sensible with 5 iron off tee and found gorse, hacked out, and a great approach shot left me with 12ft for par but just shaved the hole. Stitched it to a couple of feet on the par 3 5th and got the 2 (€10 thanks very much) and followed that with 3 holes on the trot, where I sniffed the edge of the holes for birdie but none dropped! Still, level for a 6 hole span was great. Some bad luck on the back 9 saw me with a great drive on 10 run out of fairway and behind a tree, an unreal drives of 290yards on 13 down the middle but so far that reached a normally unreachable hazard, droped, chipped and slotted the putt for par:eek: A few more brain farts though and a few to many 3 putts made a mess of everything, but amazingly I still had 30 points through 16 and I smashed another 280+ drive down 17 but the fairway throws you right an I just went a little far with an unlucky bounce, and left behind a tree, then to duff a couple and end up swimming! Ironic thing, a shorter drive and I would have been fine! Another smasher on 18 but way right, deep in trees but we couldn't find a normally findable ball! Then as we gave up one othe lads found it out in the open, must have hit a tree and deflacted back into play. Another 3 putt followed though, but it was a stinker, actually shaved the hole for bird but a downhill that was always going to be hard to stop

3 putts are becoming to common, but I kowm they are not bad 3 putts, reading lines well, pace is ok, just a few times the execution isn't what I want, hitting the ground, looking up etc. They won't last and my putting will be back on track soon enough.

My ball striking is improving every game and I got to try and hit a few more range sessions. A far cry from a few weeks ago where I was in dire need of a few lessons, but with my teacher unavailable I was forced to just dig deep and remember the stuff we had been doing and it's working.

Watch this space, a big win is on the cards soon, I've no doubt about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played Belvoir Park in Belfast last night off the yellows. Think white is club competition tees.

2 Birdies
    7 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    2 Doubles
    1 Treble

Was +6 through 15 and finished bogey, treble, bogey.

Was in too many bunkers. 2 terrible 3 putts and not enough 1 putts when giving myself a great chance off birdie inside 10 ft.

Great course. 36 points off 11.

hit 5 drives in the 250-265 range according to GPS watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played another 9 hole competition last night, it doubled up as a practice for our shield team. Used iron off the tee mostly and had a much better round than last week. Nearly had two more chip-ins as well, only for the flag they were in!!

Felt so much better walking off the course knowing you played well and its getting better every week.

• Advertisement

40 points and a 2nd place on a countback. My 3rd second place this year.

2 birdies
    10 pars
    3 bogeys
    3 doubles

Had a lost ball and a 2 shockers at simple par 3s. Cut to 10.3. Hopefully have another 1 or 2 of these rounds left in me this summer.

Winner had 49 points. Supposed 24 handicap who was +3 through 13. He's now cut to 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

27 points in Tramore. Again. Not playing well all year. Feels like I'm going out with a different swing every time and none of them is good. Confidence is low.

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

kicking my self today
    85 in the Millicent scratch cup off the blues 7000+ yards with a 10 on the 16, a bogey would of gave me good shout, only plus was i didnt get 0.1 back, 1 birdie , 10 pars, 4 bogeys 2 doubles and a 10. been so long since i made such a mistake on a single hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

36 points off 13 (85 gross 72 net)

1 birdie
    6 pars
    8 bogies
    2 doubles
    1 scratch (skulled one out of a greenside bunker with zero sand on a hole -finished with a double, but no shot)

37 putts including 4 3-putts :eek:

Starting to consistently shoot low 80's now, so need to push on with my putting to break 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Won the vs Par this weekend with 4 up. 40 points with the stableford, good enough for a 0.6 cut.
    3 Birdies and a lot of pars but a bad patch in the middle of the round where I was at one point 7 up and dropped 3 on the trot.
    Easily left a 44 pointer behind me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Played a casual round yesterday evening in Citywest with a few friends, was a last minute thing due to the weather being so nice... only came on here to say had my first ever hole in one, came on the 17th. GPS Watch said it was 145 to the middle, one of the lads hit an 8 iron before me and landed short, so i took 7 and just gave it a nice smooth swing, as soon as i hit it, I knew it would be close, my eyesight isnt as good as my two playing partners who started shouting and cheering they were certain it bounced three times and then went in, The group ahead of us on the 18th teebox heard the cheer aswell and came over and congratulated me..I was just stunned to be honest.. nice feeling walking up to the green and there it was.

I had been practising my mid irons down the range as the last few times ive been out they have been very inconsistent lately so its nice to see the improvements out on the course.
    Apart from that was kind of a mixed bag, i had chipped in from about 20 feet on the short 7th aswell for birdie, but i scratched four holes so only finished with 38 points.. went with driver on some of the tighter holes when i didnt need to so thats something I need addressing next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

had 39 pts (93 strokes) yesterday in Beaverstown. Best round ive ever played.

only just joining a club for the first time so still awaiting my handicap, but ive been unofficially off 24 for the last 2 years of casual golf. Have been struggling a lot lately with my game but something just clicked for me.

Hopefully this form will stick around now as i get to start entering comps once my membership is fully sorted out.

1 birdie, 6 pars and the rest littered between bogey, doubles and triples. Scratched 2 holes along the way and had a good few poor shots so absolutely delighted with how it went

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

36pts in Moate yesterday. Nothing spectacular but my most consistent round for a couple of months. I'm finding as Club Captain I have a very cluttered mind when I'm playing as there is always so much going on and to be done so I'll have to work on switching off a bit while I'm out there. Not easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

38 points off 9 (79 Gross).

1 Birdie
    9 Pars
    8 Bogeys

2 3 putts on back 9 were annoying.

yet again ball striking was good on Saturday, driver was on fire, and probably had about 5 drives 280+ yards (must sync the aul game golf). The playing partners never played with me before, they shouted fore 3 times with the guys up front as I creamed it so well, was greenside 3 times on par 4's :D
    I did have a few weak drives though but ball always in play thankfully. unfortunately i also had a few brain farts to many. it was a fourball comp so not counting (thankfully as it would have been another .1) might of had 29 points. think there were 5 scratches in there, partly due to it being a fourball, but mainly just bad golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Played in a 4ball on Sunday , gross 77 for 6 over.
    2 birdies
    6 bogey's
    9 pars
    1 double

Game is in & out at the minute especially the driver but short game is keeping me in it.
    We had 42pts which wasn't too bad but nowhere near the prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

39pts off 11.
    4 birdies
    7 pars
    4 bogies
    1 double
    2 scratches (water, ob)

Good round, but could have been really special.
    Playing well, but need to get out of my own way after a bad shot. Periods of bad shots or bad "luck" tends to be grouped closely together.

eg:
    Hole 8 - (playing well at this point) decent approach shot to green didn't hold, went in water, messed up rest of hole, take four more shots (scratch)
    Hole 9 - makable birdie opportunity lipped out, rolled on a little, then missed putt back (bogey)
    Hole 10 - almost holed chip for birdie, then missed short putt back (bogey)

Steadied the ship, but then again:
    hole 14 - took 4 to get in hole from ~40m out (double bogey)
    hole 15 - par three, ob off tee, followed by poor scrambling with 2nd ball (scratch)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Had my first game of golf ever last week. Shot a bit over 100. A few scuffs here and there and a few good drives. Great fun, will go again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Just after suffering a Clause 23 adjustment. 18.1 6 weeks ago, now 15.3

non-comp round of the comp tees. was 1 under through 4. 39 points off 10. playing partner shot 41 off 16, he plays a 1 h/c in singles matchplay on sunday so hopefully carries some form into that.

2 birdies
    10 pars
    3 bogeys
    3 doubles (two 3 putts)

My aim at the start of this year was single figures (9.4) but if i can improve my putting slightly I think i could go to 8. Just hoping one of my big rounds falls on captains day or a similar big event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ah here, suffering. I'd be happy out to get one :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ah here, suffering. I'd be happy out to get one :D

I was thinking the exact same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Happy Days....Good Golf getting its reward and certainly not suffering.

Came together today... well a bit anyway, it could have been soooo much better but I fell apart a bit on the back and got into a good bit of trouble. Casual round in Castle Golf Club, lovely course, only played it a few times and its tight. Was +3 through 9 which included 2 bad 3 putts. Now I have to fess up, friendly game so it didn't matter between us, but on 9 my drive was in trees on left, didn't realise there was OB there and I was out by a couple of foot, but hadn't hit a provo so just played in. Took me 2 to get out of the trees and then I held a monster for the 5.
    Back 9, I was +8, but take some solace from it, actually thinking back on it, I probably didn't fall apart as much as I first thought and I recovered reasonably ok when I was in trouble. I made a mess of a chip on 11 complete duff, went about 5 yards, then on 12 another ball OB, but my third off the tee was no more than 20 yards short of the green and a chip and putt saw me rescue a great 5. Some good up and downs saw me rescue a few nice pars with another few 20+ footers held. A few bad tee shots had me hacking out a few times and another stupid 3 putt on 16. I had four 1 pointers on the back :(

Still, it was 40 points. Big day tomorrow, if I can replicate that performance and do away with a few of the giveaways, I'll be happy ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Best round in over three years today 90 in sillogue. Don't play enough but got into a groove today and the main thing is i kept the ball in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Best round in over three years today 90 in sillogue. Don't play enough but got into a groove today and the main thing is i kept the ball in play.

How are the greens there these days. Were a disgrace last time I played! Sillogue is all about staying in play. When I am driving straight I always feel a run of pars is very possible (play of 16.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played in Athlone last Wednesday week, 37 points for my first 0.2 cut of the year

(its taken me 8 days to reconcile with what I did on the 18th hole and only for I went out practicing the shot I took yesterday, I still wouldn't feel right about it...... but I'll come to that later.)

Played really great - best I've played all year and the greens were in their best shape all year, so I putted fabulously. Bogied the first after a scurrilous chip, but hit straight back with a birdie on 2 and then parred the next 5 holes to still be level par after 7. I bogied 8 after a slightly mi**** second shot, but made a super up and down on 9, to be +1 after 9 holes and 20 points. The wind got up on the back 9 and I just played some really super golf to be +3 after 17 holes. A par on the last would have gotten me 39 points and back down to 5.

Hit a great tee shot up the left hand side of the fairway and only had an 8 iron left to the green. hit it perfect and the ball was tracking for the flag, but came up 1 yard short of the green and kicked savagely to the right. The result, I was in some semi-rough, just 2 yards off the right of the green and about 6 yards from the flag. After much deliberating, I resolved that the 58* wedge was going to be the play, but i fluffed the shot and the ball got to the edge of the green, before rolling back to my feet. Mad with myself, I took out the putter and did marginally better, actually managing to get on the green. Then I left my putt for a bogey from 8 feet short to finish with a double bogey 6 and +5 for 37 points.

Positives :: I played super from tee to green and on the whole putted magnificently.
    Negatives :: I only made 2 bad shots in the whole round and both of them were chips from very close to the green. - wrong club selection on both.

I've been using an 8-iron for pitch and run shots a lot lately from far away and decided to go practice the two fluffed chips I made on the 1st and 18th with the 8 iron instead of the lofted wedges yesterday. Every chip was infinitely better than what I did on both holes. I then proceeded to practice a few other places where I have had trouble chipping in the past, used 8 iron and had great results. The 8-iron is gonna be coming out a lot more often around the greens when I'm feeling iffy on club selection. A good go to club

Rikand wrote: »
    i fluffed the shot

Nice to know even the good guys do what I do :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Greens where in decent nick. I played a while back and they where very patchy but no they where quite good. Not patchy and ran good. Maybe a tad slow but quite decent.

• Advertisement

Career best last night in the Thursday stableford.

+4. 42 points off 10. CSS 68 Par 70

2 birdies
    11 pars
    4 bogeys
    1 double

Could have dropped a few more birdie putts but had 5 very good up and downs. Awful double bogey on 18 after an excellent drive. Cut from 10.3 to 9.5.

Advertisement