Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Gross 73 this morning (+2)

42 pts on my own card in a two person team event. We finished with 48pts.

Was level par for the last twelve holes but missed a few decent birdie chances too.

1 birdie
    14 pars
    3 bogey's

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Nice one! I won the medal. :D

I think that is a whopping €180 first prize and possibly about €25 for the 2. 8 better than CSS so my count that gets me down from 13.2 to 11.3

Was thinking, from greenside I got up and down 7 times, one of them from sand. Just had the shank on 10 and the duff on 14 which I failed to get up and down so my time around the practice chipping green really paid off today. And actually yesterday also I chipped in and got up and down 5 times.

Chuffed, my first Medal in Castleknock to add to my Greystones Medal I won about 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Can't believe i'm writing this. simply the best 36 holes of golf i've ever played.

started saturday morning at 9.2 handicap. decent front 9 with 5 pars, 4 bogeys. finished back 9 level par for +4 total and 41 points. 3rd place in club and 8 points in golfer of the year. cut to 8.4.

sunday. started birdie birdie. back to back birdies on 7 and 8 to get to -3. 3 putted 9 to go to -2. 4 pars in a row and a lost ball (double bogey) left me at level par through 14. parred 15 and 16. 6 iron to 4 feet on 17 to get to -1. bogey on 18 to finish level par.

beat my course record by 4 shots and finished with 44 points. Certain of 1st place and 10 points in golfer of the year to move into 2nd. should get cut 1.2 or 1.4 but there is a chance of an ESR so possibly 6 handicap.

never drove or putted better in my life. shows what an injury in GAA and a bit of practice can do a handicap...

love this game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

looking at an ESR of 2

http://www.newrossgolfclub.ie/members/mens-section/exceptional-scoring-reductions/

so the good/bad news is you will be off 5.5 (capped to stop you been coming a Cat 1 player)

One more round to move Cat 1

FCUK

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    looking at an ESR of 2

http://www.newrossgolfclub.ie/members/mens-section/exceptional-scoring-reductions/

so the good/bad news is you will be off 5.5 (capped to stop you been coming a Cat 1 player)

One more round to move Cat 1

Would depend on the CSS though of second round. If it was 38 he is 6 better so only an average of 5 and a 1 shot ESR. That would have him down to 6.2.
    If it was 37 then he goes to 5.5. Big difference there.

1st round was 37.
    2nd round 38. 
    How do i calculate my average? Last 5 rounds are 44, 41, 32, 40, 37. CSS in last 5 is 38, 37, 37, 37, 37.

1st round was 37.
    2nd round 38. 
    How do i calculate my average? Last 5 rounds are 44, 41, 32, 40, 37. CSS in last 5 is 38, 37, 37, 37, 37.

Forget about the last 5 rounds only these 2 count.
    Your first one was 4 better than css so that triggered the esr. Your second was 6 better. Average of them 2 rounds is 5 better.

So your cut for today is 6 better so that gets you from 8.4 to 7.2. ESR is 1 shot as average is 5 and within 4 rounds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Impressive scoring Magpie. What handicap did you start off from?

I didn't get the ESR. I had 42 points (4 above CSS) 11 rounds ago which was the initial trigger. My round on saturday (also 4 above CSS) was the reduction but because it was greater than 10 rounds ago there was an ESR of 0.0 shown on HDID.

I assume my round on sunday (6 above CSS) will be another initial ESR trigger.

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Impressive scoring Magpie. What handicap did you start off from?

I started playing off 12 in may. My first ever official but i've put in a huge amount of effort since then and had 1 lesson with a pro.

I started playing off 12 in may. My first ever official but i've put in a huge amount of effort since then and had 1 lesson with a pro.

Very impressive, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

A miserable 31 points off 7.

2 scratches, 2 three-putts and zero birdies. grrrrrrrrr

Played early yesterday morning at home club. You know that feeling that it might be a good day? Well I had it yesterday morning and couldn't wait to get on the first tee. Was like a giddy child driving over, even though it was 7:30 in the morning!

Anyway, warmed up, few putts, few chips, signed in, met playing partners and proceeded to make an absolute balls of the first hole, its not a hard hole, but still a silly silly scratch from wayward shots.
    Duffed my tee shot on the second but hit a good recovery and a peach onto the green so scrambled a bogey.
    3rd is a par 3, not too bad - hit a greenside bunker. Got out well but missed a 2 foot putt for par.
    4th hole, driveable par 4 for the brave. I laid up - behind a bush. Had to play sideways and then put next over the back of an impossible green. Scratch.

Where was this great round in my head gone?

Then the golf started on the 5th par 3, first par of the day, then another on the next a par 5 and another on the next also a par 5, we're back on track.
    Managed to hit a drive too long on the next index 1 and failed to get up and down, same with the next par 3 but still scored.

Got it back on track on the back 9 with 5 more pars and 4 bogies. Hit every green in regulation and bogies were a result of stupid 3 putts - could well have been a level par back 9.

Am hitting the ball miles again and hitting fairways which is great. My short game is improving every week as well. Flat stick is still hot and cold - greens were in great condition and running great but I just kept hitting putts too hard - too much matchplay practice over the last few weeks and had it drilled into my head not to leave putts short!!

Still, 36 points after 3 blanks, I was kinda happy!! Finished 3 in Category and qualified for GOY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

29 points with 5 scratches off 14

2 birdies
    6 pars
    1 bogey
    4 db
    5 scratches

I was exhausted from working all through the night, but really wanted to get a round played. Probably should have just gone to bed :)

It wasnt all bad. It took me nearly two years but I've now birdies all 27 holes in Corrstown. Also managed to play the five par fives in -1, so thats nice...

1st round being a category 1 player...

2 birdies
    6 pars
    10 bogeys

up and downs weren't good enough.
    3 poor drives which left no shot to green.
    1 3 putt.

Course playing very short/easy and CSS will be 38 points.
    back up to 5.3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

40pts off 10 (now 8.8), won on back 9, includes one scratch and 2 one pointers

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Saturday monthly medal off the blues

+2 through 11. really solid golf and not many poor shots. finished +9 (79) for net 74.
    went bogey bogey bogey double (lost ball) double (lost ball) par par
    winner had net 70 so i really threw this one away.

Sunday Stableford

+1 front 9 for 20 points.
    3 birdies on back 9 left me at -2 through 16. finished bogey bogey for level par and 41 points.
    Hopefully enough for a win and 10 points in golfer of the year.
    The most solid golf i've ever played, small mistakes on 4 holes for the bogeys. Equaled my best round.

4 birdies
    10 pars
    4 bogeys

Now i don't have a leg to stand on when even considering complaining about my clause 23 reduction!
    should get cut from 5.4 to 5.0/5.1

Saturday monthly medal off the blues

+2 through 11. really solid golf and not many poor shots. finished +9 (79) for net 74.
    went bogey bogey bogey double (lost ball) double (lost ball) par par
    winner had net 70 so i really threw this one away.

Sunday Stableford

+1 front 9 for 20 points.
    3 birdies on back 9 left me at -2 through 16. finished bogey bogey for level par and 41 points.
    Hopefully enough for a win and 10 points in golfer of the year.
    The most solid golf i've ever played, small mistakes on 4 holes for the bogeys. Equaled my best round.

4 birdies
    10 pars
    4 bogeys

Now i don't have a leg to stand on when even considering complaining about my clause 23 reduction!
    should get cut from 5.4 to 5.0/5.1

Haha, did they give you a mask with the handicap :)
    Fair play Magpie, you are some operator in fairness, that's savage stuff, well done

I on the other hand have gone from a win that wasn't a win with my best qualifying round ever last Sunday in Castleknock to paddy last and putting on a performance that someone who had never played golf would of been ashamed of on Saturday gone in Greystones :(
    I won't even tell you my score but suffice it to say that I lost more balls than I have probably lost in the last month, I missed a 18inch putt, I shanked, I topped and I bladed numerous shots.

Now I'm stiff as a plank having been up and down ladders building a shed for basically 3 days beforehand which didn't help, but a lame excuse really for such a shocking performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Arrggghhh!!!

Frustrating a round as I ever had. Playing off 17, out in 41 (net-3), back in 53 (net +8).
    3 balls lost of the tee, and 3 balls in bunkers against the back bank with no swing whatsoever.

It is a cruel game!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Supposed to be out Sunday, but torrential rain for an hour caused some flooding on the course. I was told to head away home as it was unplayable. Later that evening I check the results and 8 guys went out and played. Lost some ground in GOTY which really irritated me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Supposed to be out Sunday, but torrential rain for an hour caused some flooding on the course. I was told to head away home as it was unplayable. Later that evening I check the results and 8 guys went out and played. Lost some ground in GOTY which really irritated me

Surely 8 isn't enough for it to be classed as a competition, nevermind a GOTY competition.

Benildus wrote: »
    Surely 8 isn't enough for it to be classed as a competition, nevermind a GOTY competition.

Its gone up as a result on the website. I will admit it isn't updated on GOTY yet. My main gripe was being told to head away and the course was still playable

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CrunchyBear

33 pts off 18 in Dromoland Castle on Saturday.
    3 Pars, 9 Bogeys and 6 Double Bogeys...Fairly consistent golf.

35 pts in Portumna on Sunday. 
    1 Birdie, 6 pars, 6 Bogeys, 1 Double Bogey and 4 scratches (within 5 holes on the front 9). 12 pts on the front 9, 23 points on the back 9 for a gross 4 over including starting back 9 with a double bogey. Probably the best I have ever hit the ball and actually felt like the worst score I could have gotten on the back 9 as I missed 3 very makeable makeable putts.

Hopefully can keep it going over the next while and start making inroads on my handicap.

Its gone up as a result on the website. I will admit it isn't updated on GOTY yet. My main gripe was being told to head away and the course was still playable

Ah yea well in fairness I have seen it plenty of times, down for the day, course soaking then clouds break out of nowhere. It could of been hours later when them lads went out.

Would be surprised if GOTY was counting, if that happens, then give out... big time

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ah yea well in fairness I have seen it plenty of times, down for the day, course soaking then clouds break out of nowhere. It could of been hours later when them lads went out.

Would be surprised if GOTY was counting, if that happens, then give out... big time

Yep they counted. Just updated last night

Yep they counted. Just updated last night

If you are in the hunt for it you should complain. That's not on

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

Last 2 rounds

Net 73 (off 17) in monthly medal 2 weeks ago - ok tee to green but absolute disaster on the greens - I think I had 6 3-putts (and not all long range!) and I left everything short - just couldn't convince myself to hit putts hard enough (greens were running a little slow after being sanded recently).

This was followed by 39 points (off my society h'cap of 16) in luttrellstown last week to win my society captains prize, best round of the year so delighted with that. Had double bogeys on 14 and 16 to nearly throw it away but finished with pars on 17 and 18 to sneak the win by a point.

I have reported the society score to my club but I am wondering - would you expect to be cut from a society score? I'm hoping I will be as its my best round of the year and off my GUI handicap it would have equated to 40 pts.

• Advertisement

thursday stableford, lots of mud balls, only lift clean and drop when ball is plugged in own mark.

1 birdie
    8 pars
    7 bogeys
    1 lost ball for a ding.

33 points of 5. Few awful swings and a couple of short putts missed.

sitting in 2nd in golfer of the year. 3 rounds left. A top 5 might give me a chance of 1st but i could easily finish 3rd.

Advertisement