Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well Captains prize in today in Greystones. Unfortunately I was on an early flight out of town so couldn't play today, but thankfully the sheet was so busy as usual they opened it for about 30 guys yesterday afternoon. Only 2 of us in my group with a couple of empty lines in front of us so we flew through the front 9 in just over 1hr 30, a burger stop at half time saw us catch the guys in front but slower on the back waiting a good bit but still finished in about 3hr 40 including a 15min half time break so nice and quick compared with what I'm sure will be 4hr30 + today.

So the round, Well I made a mess of the second hole so I'm out of it straight away. However bounced back with solid par at the index 1 3rd and a chip in for par on the index 3 6th. A lucky break on 8 with a bad tee shot in gorse saw a way out sideways but a long way out, a nice up and down followed to get a 2 point 5. 9th hole required par to turn 18 points, but a lovely chip left me stone dead with a tap in from a few inches for a birdie 4.

10th hole after the break and a long wait on the tee I found tree trouble, but with an escape hatch. I did well. But the next Shot wasn't great and I couldn't get up and down so a 1 pointer 6 on the index 2. 11th hole, par 3 is a tough green even as index 16 (I've no idea how) reasonable 6 iron in left me with an uphill, then downhill stinker about 50ft with about 20ft of break........ I only bloody held it..........2s money and back in it. Bogey on next for 2 points was followed by a wobble on 13 with about 50ft for birdie I only half hit it, but somehow managed to drain the par putt of 20+ft. Disaster tee shot on index 17 14th hole saw me on edge of 17th green but an amazing chip (if I do say so myself) and about 2.5ft for par....... Arrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh downhill I miss. Followed by a bad 3 putt form 20ft on 15... I'm going to have to dig deep. Bunker on 16 par 3 but a close par effort and tap in bogey 4. Dig deeper and a solid par on index 4 17 followed by a tee shot I to the trees on 18.

Damn..... A large here would give me 38. Phew.... I'm long and have a look at the green and guess what... I nail it. It's a tough green if you are on the wrong level but I get it spot on and she comes right down to the hole.. ..but when I get up I'm actually a bit long. Still, 20ft and leave the birdie putt hanging over the edge......... Shiiiiiiiitttttttttt.

38 points.

What I regret was the 3 putt on 15 and the bad miss on 14. There were others out there but they were the 2 soft ones I gave away. If 40 wins.... I'll be sick a dog.

Wrote half this ages ago today .... But no internet and playing top golf all day I'm more than a bit tipsy now.... PS top golf is deadly.... .. .... I'll be watching how did I do closely later on. I'm sure for a cut and a prize but I just know I gifted it away.... :(

Just got a call.....

Sick as a dog......

Won't say how close yet....... Cause it hasn't been announced......

But I was close.... To close

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just got a call.....

Sick as a dog......

Won't say how close yet....... Cause it hasn't been announced......

But I was close.... To close

Just announced

39 won

39 second,

I was third.

Putt on 14 :(

3 putt on 15 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

84, 80 gross for the kilkenny scratch cup
    Driving let me down big time in round , used 3wood Rd 2 hit it just as far and hit fairways , but both rounds i have 4 3putts in each round, greens were the fastest i ve played this year, course great nick but on a few holes i hit great shots into the heart of the green onto to have it roll off the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Just announced

39 won

39 second,

I was third.

Putt on 14 :(

3 putt on 15 :(

I folow this thread to see how others get on. Thats unlucky.

As for me, I play casual myself off 18 same as my mate. This weekend was ridiculous. I was up one hole at the turn and he caught fire 3 pars and a birdie from 10-14. Was four down going to the 18th. He had 23 points on the back nine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

87 strokes in the Captains day qualifier yesterday currently lying 4th :eek:
    started par, par, bogey then a stupid 8 on the 4th par 5 index 18! but steadied the ship.. holed some long putts and missed some 4 footers but didnt fluff 1 chip and played very consistent didnt actually think it was my best golf to be honest.. was trying to play sensible as it been captains.. got cut to 18.1 which I was chuffed.. My aim was to qualify for next week and hopefully a cut which I did :D

Now my Dilemma

The final is next Saturday and I was told Id be out in the second last group as Im lying 4th around 2pm - 2.30pm but Its my cousins wedding next Sat and he wouldnt be to impressed if I didnt attend! its over in Donatebate so a good hour and a bit away.. His mam isnt well either so Im lost as what to do... I wasnt planning on playing if I qualified but didnt expect to be in the running.. A few members told me I'd be mad not to play as I have a great chance with my hc and its a honour to win the Captains etc.. I rang my cousin today to suss him out and ask about time dinner is at which is 5pm so I've no chance of making that if I play but could make the afters but would that be bad form??

Plus my other half cant attend the wedding because she be on a course but could possibly come to the afters if I pick her up. A good few of my cousins cant attend but I would of been fairly close to him growing up but dont really see him that much these days.. Any ideas lads and ladies??

benny79 wrote: »
    started par, par, bogey then a stupid 8 on the 4th par 5 index 18! but steadied the ship.. holed some long putts and missed some 4 footers but didnt fluff 1 chip and played very consistent didnt actually think it was my best golf to be honest.. was trying to play sensible as it been captains.. got cut to 18.1 which I was chuffed.. My aim was to qualify for next week and hopefully a cut which I did :D

Now my Dilemma

The final is next Saturday and I was told Id be out in the second last group as Im lying 4th around 2pm - 2.30pm but Its my cousins wedding next Sat and he wouldnt be to impressed if I didnt attend! its over in Donatebate so a good hour and a bit away.. His mam isnt well either so Im lost as what to do... I wasnt planning on playing if I qualified but didnt expect to be in the running.. A few members told me I'd be mad not to play as I have a great chance with my hc and its a honour to win the Captains etc.. I rang my cousin today to suss him out and ask about time dinner is at which is 5pm so I've no chance of making that if I play but could make the afters but would that be bad form??

Plus my other half cant attend the wedding because she be on a course but could possibly come to the afters if I pick her up. A good few of my cousins cant attend but I would of been fairly close to him growing up but dont really see him that much these days.. Any ideas lads and ladies??

Play golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Finally! After much hard work this year finally put a decent round together. Opened with a beautiful birdie on the first, then had a horrific quadruple bogey on probably the easiest hole on the course, third hole Par 4 index 16. Steadied the ship nicely after. Played to handicap +14. So the clause 19 adjustment got me a 0.6 cut, my first since June of last year.

Finished third in the comp and now back to 13 and only one more decent score from getting back to 12 where I was for most of last year.

One of the most pleasing things is that the short game was a little off, my chipping in particular, so I know that I can go much lower. Have not broke 80 at New Forest yet, so that is the next target.

Now my Dilemma

I'd speak with golf club, captain or whoever, explain the situation and request an earlier tee time. They should accommodate you.

I'd speak with golf club, captain or whoever, explain the situation and request an earlier tee time. They should accommodate you.

Hi Seve,

I did they won't, not for the clubs majors as if I went out earlier there would be no pressure on me and it wouldn't be fair on the others which is fair enough.. Its catch 22, If i play I'll probably bottle it and would of missed half the wedding and if I don't play I'll regret it. My cousin doesn't play golf so he wouldn't understand. Just wondering how lads would feel if it was their wedding? I definitely head up to the afters if I do play.. but I wouldnt get there till about 8..

• Advertisement

Hi Seve,

I did they won't, not for the clubs majors as if I went out earlier there would be no pressure on me and it wouldn't be fair on the others which is fair enough.. Its catch 22, If i play I'll probably bottle it and would of missed half the wedding and if I don't play I'll regret it. My cousin doesn't play golf so he wouldn't understand. Just wondering how lads would feel if it was their wedding? I definitely head up to the afters if I do play.. but I wouldnt get there till about 8..

Tough decision alright. I think it's bad form the club are dictating the tee times as there can always be reasons people can't play at specific times so they really should accommodate their members rather than make enemies out of them.

The fact your other half can't make the wedding either might help you decide, weddings are a bloody borefest if you ask me unless you are good buddies with a few people going.

Give me golf any day of the week

I get were the club is coming from as they want to have it like a tour event as leaders go last etc.. So is understandable my issue is why it's on the Saturday as Sunday is the main day in my club.. But look I knew that before I played just wasn't expecting to be in the running..

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Simple way of looking at it Benny,
    Your cousin could get married more than once, you might never get another chance to go out in the last few groups of Captains Final Day....

Golf everytime ... 😂 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andreluis

I think it's a helpful trick to get point. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Your other half will be on a course and so will you.

You've a perfect get out excuse... you both want to go to the wedding so you'll wait for her etc etc. Get there for 8 and enjoy the night. Throw an extra 50 in the card for good luck.

mafc wrote: »
    Simple way of looking at it Benny,
    Your cousin could get married more than once, you might never get another chance to go out in the last few groups of Captains Final Day....

Golf everytime ... �� lol

So everyone keeps telling me :D I bit the bullet and rang him to see was he ok and would he mind he was actually sound about it.. As long as I come to the afters oh and win it.. lol..

Chuffed.. No pressure... but if anything, I'm looking forward to the experience I'm out in the second last group :eek: May get practicing....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Nice one Benny. Enjoy both events!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

After hitting 39 points the week before last, i went out and scored a miserable 23 on Saturday. First official club competition that I've taken part in so im putting it down to nerves.

Qualifier for the Captain's on Sunday coming up now. Here's hoping the form doesnt desert me again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Horrible round and the weekend in the Captains qualifier. Started with a three putt, finished with three putt.

95 gross 82 net

1 birdie
    3 pars
    8 bogeys
    2 doubles
    4 trebles

More putting practice required

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Had Fourball matchplay last night, we were giving 8 and 9 shots and I had 4. My partner went to scratch.

We won the first and then they won 3 with a birdie so all square and then halved the next few holes. Then from the 7th we didn't have a half for the rest of the round so was very enjoyable golf. We managed to win the last 2 to go through to the semis.

We didn't play well and managed to scramble a few wins. One thing we noticed that due to the matchplay card we are giving shots on short Par 3s so its near impossible for us to get a half on those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Casual round last night playing off 18, scored 89 (net -1)

Nothing spectacular, hit 4 fairways all night and 3 GIR, but misses were not bad misses and was able to get bogey or better most of the time. Only one triple due to lost ball. Short game definitely improving

1 bird
    5 par
    7 bogey
    4 doubles
    1 triple

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

15 over last night, while it might not look great to some, it included hitting 2 drives OOB, 3 x 3 putts and a ball in the water on the Index 1 at my club (managed to drive into the water from the back sticks!)

Anything from 150m in was in the middle of the green, any shorter chips were close to the hole. Some very stupid putting let me down a bit too - just wasn't concentrating enough.

Still I was well pleased all round, especially with my driving as it had deserted me recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

79 strokes at the weekend for 36pts.
    Two silly double bogey's cost me a prize.
    On the bright side happy that I completed last six holes one under gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Broke 30 points for the first time in 15 months yesterday. Shouldve scored more than 34 but made a few bad decisions clubwise off the tee.

Came close to selling the clubs more times but I'm beginning to strike it as well as i can again. Hope i never see a streak like it again. What was it down to? Grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Thursday stableford.

Started well, +3 after 10.
    Was +6 with 3 to play after hitting a drive to 3 feet for eagle on our drive-able par 4. Needs about a 240 yard carry.

Ended up +10. 36 points.

1 Eagle
    1 Birdie
    6 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    3 Doubles

Could have easily been a 40 pointer but a few brain farts with the driver, 1 terrible chip and my irons were below average.

Any fix for blocking my irons right, i think the club face is open slightly at contact. Stronger grip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Thursday stableford.

Started well, +3 after 10.
    Was +6 with 3 to play after hitting a drive to 3 feet for eagle on our drive-able par 4. Needs about a 240 yard carry.

Ended up +10. 36 points.

1 Eagle
    1 Birdie
    6 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    3 Doubles

Could have easily been a 40 pointer but a few brain farts with the driver, 1 terrible chip and my irons were below average.

Any fix for blocking my irons right, i think the club face is open slightly at contact. Stronger grip?

My club face nearly always open at impact but closed relative to swing path.

Start by making more exagerated swings in to out a see what happens first. If it starts hooking then try find a balance between the exaggerated swing path and what you are currently doing. Unless you have recently changed your grip, you'd be better off leaving alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Maybe not grip.

Could be ball position in your stance?

For me, I suffered from a similar problem & the issue wasn't grip, it was release. So it might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

If its a straight block right and not a slice, I would say it is posture or ball position.

Could be just too much weight on your front foot or standing too close to the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Cheers men, captain's day tomorrow so don't want a stupid flaw creeping in ruining good drives!!

I'll get to the range early tomorrow but i feel it could be ball position and not paying attention to it. Focusing a lot on target line and swing instead recently.

• Advertisement

Got three games in this week

Off 18

34 point in elm green

36 points in forest little yesteday which was a fairly solid round overall.

34 poiints in corballis. 13 on the front after a rough start. Got it going on the back nine with 23 points

Advertisement