Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2017 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

34 points on a very tough (windy) day in Tramore. Ball striking was quite good but I must have had 5 or 6 three putts. Ball would just never stop on the greens and putts affected by wind in a big way, too. Simply couldn't adjust, every miss was 5 or 6 feet past. But overall its an improvement from the poor form shown lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

92 Blows today in standard strokeplay, giving me 77 nett. Placed 32 out of 50. No three puts and decent off the tee, but my iron play has once again left me down. .1 back

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Had been playing steady last few weeks, until Saturday. Absolutely shocking stuff, army golf (left right left right) and then putting was woeful.
    1 par and I can't bring myself to even mention the rest.

A good long week at the range is on the cards, Captains day is creeping closer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Finished with 39 yesterday. Had 22 after 9 and had 2 scratch holes on the back 9 😕. This seems to be the standard lately

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

My first Captain's day. Tough pins and high winds. Consistently below average.

3 Pars
    15 Bogeys

31 points. 41st out of 120 and 0.1 back.

I think i had 0 up and downs.
    Changed from a NXT soft to a srixon ad333, think it affected my short game a bit.

Handicap at 9.6 (society handicap at 6), never had a lesson before in my life but really considering it now. Irons letting me down after really good drives, not hitting enough greens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Out for a work outing in Castleknock on Sunday. A cracking day for golf.

Had the benefit of a quick course guide from Seve, which was a great help. Played pretty solid golf. Had 36 points, 83 strokes, and finished 3rd on the day. Was off the greens, so playing short enough, but some of the long par 4s are still a decent couple of knocks to get there. Played the par 5s terribly, which was disappointing, as I tend to find that its usually an area where I pick up points.

No luck with the Putter, had 4/5 putts lip out which would have gotten me up to 2nd place, as was pipped by a stroke. Only would have needed 1 to drop, as it was 37 that beat me & I had the better back 9 comfortably.

First place was outrageous, 49 points. I was playing with the man who shot it. 77 strokes gross, playing off 18 (that is his GUI, I know because he's a member of my home course). He's knocked probably 5 shots off his handicap this year already.

He didn't play, to me, particularly smart golf & rode his luck...a lot at times (particularly off the tee). But he had one of those days where, when he took bad choices, he got away with them, but he got up & down with regularly and he barely missed a putt the whole day, except on 18, where he missed a putt from around 3 feet to shoot 50 points :eek:

He got some amount of stick in the clubhouse (rightly so :D ) Have never seen a score that high. 43 I think is the highest I've witnessed before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Captain's final

Out in the second last group, had a shocker .. The occasion got the better of me and was to tense starting off started 7,7, 4 and then a 11! on the index 18 par 5.. 2 drives oob with my go to club 3 wood...

Couldnt get my swing to click into place at all.. but I have to say I really enjoyed the experience the winner was in my group great golfer off 13 and I think he finished 9+ gross.. A few positives when the crowd started to built from the 14th hole onwards I played well.. It was between him and a lad in the last group so it was a tense finish for the 2 of them.. Got to know a few of the senior members at the club who all commented on how I handled myself especially been in the second last group..had a par on the 16th index1 very hard hole to par even for the low lads only ever parred it a few times in years of trying.

Smashed my drive down the 18th (par 5) took out my 3 wood and said **** it i'll have a go good experience with a bit of pressure caught it great only for it to catch a branch on the big oak tree on right side of fairway.. Story of my day.. but got down pin high just right of the green under a tree with my next shot, so had to punch a chip shot to the green with about 300 people looking on :eek: I was bricking it as I really struggle with chips at the best of times.. but got it on to the edge thank god.. 25 ft putt to go. Done my routine and couldn't stop my hands from shaking.. ha... but hit it well and just left it on edge of hole another half a turn and it was in.. Typical would of loven to have sunk it!

But good overall experience few things caught me out that I didn't know.. Lads with caddies, my mate telling me you have to know your score as in +3,4,5 etc no matter how bad your doing for the lads on the course updating the score boards.. So got to fixed on it! when all you have to do is hand them the card your marking and they work it out.. But its all a learning curve!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Out for a work outing in Castleknock on Sunday. A cracking day for golf.

Had the benefit of a quick course guide from Seve, which was a great help. Played pretty solid golf. Had 36 points, 83 strokes, and finished 3rd on the day. Was off the greens, so playing short enough, but some of the long par 4s are still a decent couple of knocks to get there. Played the par 5s terribly, which was disappointing, as I tend to find that its usually an area where I pick up points.

No luck with the Putter, had 4/5 putts lip out which would have gotten me up to 2nd place, as was pipped by a stroke. Only would have needed 1 to drop, as it was 37 that beat me & I had the better back 9 comfortably.

First place was outrageous, 49 points. I was playing with the man who shot it. 77 strokes gross, playing off 18 (that is his GUI, I know because he's a member of my home course). He's knocked probably 5 shots off his handicap this year already.

He didn't play, to me, particularly smart golf & rode his luck...a lot at times (particularly off the tee). But he had one of those days where, when he took bad choices, he got away with them, but he got up & down with regularly and he barely missed a putt the whole day, except on 18, where he missed a putt from around 3 feet to shoot 50 points :eek:

He got some amount of stick in the clubhouse (rightly so :D ) Have never seen a score that high. 43 I think is the highest I've witnessed before that.

Very hard to accept that level of scoring :eek::eek:......... luck or no luck on the day his Hcap is completely out of sync with his ability. Is he only starting out playing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Captain's prize in my home club was this weekend gone. It was a stableford competition played over Sat and Sun with the top 30 going through to a playoff this week.

I played Saturday when the weather could only be described as atrocious. Gale force wind (knocked the ball off the tee on more than one occasion) and driving sheets of sideways rain from the 9th hole on.

In true Paddy Harrington style I played the best round I've played in as long as I can remember! Had 34pts (off 18) with three scratches to boot (CSS was 33). My putting was woeful so I could have easily had 38/39 if I kept it together on the greens.

Yesterday was a glorious day, blue skies and light winds so I thought I wouldn't get anywhere near featuring.

The results of the weekend were released this morning - missed the qualifier by 1 point:( Kind of gutted but delighted at the same time. I couldn't hit the back of a bus this time last year so it feels good to be able to put a decent score together in such awful conditions. I've put in a huge amount of practice and I'm glad to see it paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Macker1 wrote: »
    Very hard to accept that level of scoring :eek::eek:......... luck or no luck on the day his Hcap is completely out of sync with his ability. Is he only starting out playing ?

Yeah, was pretty crazy alright. When the guy marking his card said he had 25 points after 9 holes I was a bit shocked.

He's played a bit of society golf over the years & has been a member of a club for I'd say a little over a year.

Has had a good few lessons in the last year & is probably not far off playing 2-3 times a week, so not surprised to see him shoot down, probably come down from around 23-18 in the space of that year. I'd say he's probably realistically a low teens player that had an extremely streaky round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

In fairness when you're improving rapidly what are you supposed to do? Of course 49 points sounds crazy but would you prefer he 'managed' it into 3 43s instead? So I'd give credit to he guy for shooting the best score he possibly could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

syDyjSS.png

First Medal I've played in ( second stroke play) , the greens were unreal fast, the roll out took everyone in my group by surprise.

Nerves definitly got the better of me aswell, hands were shaking on the first tee :D

Bad shots followed by poor recovery cost me alot but Tara can be very unforgiving when your off line

All set for Moyvalley :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭BOB81

3 games in the past week:

30 points around ballyliffin old course - 18 out and 12 back just couldn't keep the scoring going on the back 9 and had a few bad drives which cost me. Rough v thick in parts - hack outs only from not that far off the fairway!

28 points around ballyliffin glashedy - another split game - 9 points out (I'm blaming a slight hangover) - but 19 pts on the back 9 including a birdie on the 11th meant I left with some respectability.

39 points in moyvalley in a fourball matchplay (which we won 5&3). Best I've struck the ball in a long, long time, hit 10 of 14 fairways and had 2 birdies (9 and 10). Driver was really working well and after ballyliffin it all seemed a lot easier! V. little wind yesterday which is unusual for moyvalley

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    syDyjSS.png

First Medal I've played in ( second stroke play) , the greens were unreal fast, the roll out took everyone in my group by surprise.

Nerves definitly got the better of me aswell, hands were shaking on the first tee :D

Bad shots followed by poor recovery cost me alot but Tara can be very unforgiving when your off line

All set for Moyvalley :pac:

What app/site is the above screenshot from?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

It is from howdidido.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

callaway92 wrote: »
    What app/site is the above screenshot from?

As one man said its from howdidido and crop and screen shot with Snipping Tool

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Thanks lads. Didn't recognise it as I haven't used HowDidIDo in years!

I'm in the middle of doing up a website at the moment for personal golf stats and got slightly worried when I saw it haha.

I find there's big improvements to be made on HowDidIDo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

callaway92 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Didn't recognise it as I haven't used HowDidIDo in years!

I'm in the middle of doing up a website at the moment for personal golf stats and got slightly worried when I saw it haha.

I find there's big improvements to be made on HowDidIDo

Keep us updated on this.

I use an excel sheet to track my important stats

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Benildus wrote: »
    Keep us updated on this.

I use an excel sheet to track my important stats

Golf shot app is another one good for keeping stats but you have to enter each shot into it after your round.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

thursday stableford

still captain's day pins but zero wind.

knocked my first drive OB so double bogey.
    doubled the 3rd after two bad chips.
    steadied the ship a bit with a few good up and downs.

started the back 9 with 5 pars but finished it with 4 bogeys. No birdies at all, poor drives on par 5s left me laying up.

+11, 35 points. Irons were terrible, thinned 2 over back of green. 3 GIR i think.

My putting and chipping (due to the fact i miss so many greens) have came on massively this year . Irons are getting worse so i've booked my first ever lesson next week. 1 hour with trackman available if needed.

We have an intermediate scratch up on sunday. 10-18 H/C. i'm putting myself as joint favourite with the other guy off 9.6. No Pressure. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

19 points last night for 9 hole comp in Castleknock.
    Unfortunately non qualifying :(
    3 putt on the first :(
    Ball in water on 3rd :(
    Left it in the jaws on 9th :(

Still happy with that score, signs are strong for another big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Glebee

Played Castle Barna this morning in Daingean, Co. Offaly and got lucky with the weather. No rain.

First full round since getting back into the golf. Been to the range a few times over the past three weeks but this was my first trip on the course in about 7 years.... Looking to join the local club asap.

Only lost two ball.... A good few disastarous holes though, but very proud of my par on the fifth..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kbrady1990

Played in a rumble for crumlin this morning .
    Total was 79 points never played in one before so not sure how we will do.

I had 92 strokes 38 points in my own game off 23 , question is will i be cut this week even though it's not stableford or stroke tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

kbrady1990 wrote: »
    Played in a rumble for crumlin this morning .
    Total was 79 points never played in one before so not sure how we will do.

I had 92 strokes 38 points in my own game off 23 , question is will i be cut this week even though it's not stableford or stroke tournament?

Pretty certain the answer is nope

New member in Grange Castle too. Might come across each other soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Glebee wrote: »
    Played Castle Barna this morning in Daingean, Co. Offaly and got lucky with the weather. No rain.

First full round since getting back into the golf. Been to the range a few times over the past three weeks but this was my first trip on the course in about 7 years.... Looking to join the local club asap.

Only lost two ball.... A good few disastarous holes though, but very proud of my par on the fifth..:)

Well done, you could do a lot worse than Castlebarna. I was a member there for almost 10 years. Good vibe around the place. Membership very reasonable as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kbrady1990

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Pretty certain the answer is nope

New member in Grange Castle too. Might come across each other soon

Yea I thought as much only in singles I'll be cut , I'm a member about a year now , how do you find it up there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Game is coming on great the last few weeks, lots of practice for club team has helped.
    Played last Sunday after a tough day's physical work on Saturday meant I tired mid round but got a few pars to finish, few sloppy shots cost me a score.
    Played a practice round Thursday, was very solid most of the way round, again th odd shot here and there cost me. Weather was shocking most of the way around.
    Got a last min call up to play Friday morning in Birr for a golf classic, what a round! 4 of us played out of our skins, 9 birdies, 8 pars and one bogey. We actually should have got birdies on 17 holes, the 8 pars were tap in's.

I missed the team competition Saturday but they won well so looking forward to next round and next qualifying competition next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

36 points with 1 birdie and 6 pars to get me my first ever cut of 0.3 and brings me back to 13.0

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

shot a 79 on Killeen @ Killarney Golf and Fishing Club

Only 2 over for last 13 holes.. Got off to a poor start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Had 37pts on Saturday, could have easily had 40. Went out last night for a quick 9 after work and scraped 13pts - golf is HARD:(

Advertisement