Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Huberman why all the fawning over her?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Arra would you give over. She is a gem.

Anyone who is big enough to have a tailormade vehicle made to showcase her talent is pretty good now whatever the gripers say.
    Some are just going to moan, or are dazzled by the the breadth of Amy's success, both in her personal career, and as the Drickster's wife. They truly are Ireland's most beautiful and talented couple, all wrapped up in one loving marriage. Give her some credit for proving that miracles and true golden lives do exist.

Troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Shes very lucky- she has it all when so many people in this country have sweet fcuk all. She has a rich and famous boyfriend, a chance to act in RTE dramas, a big mansion of a house, a healthy child and is good looking. I hope she thanks her lucky stars every night.

Does Brian not know about the 2nd child either???

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well, whatever people think of Amy, the OP's thread has 15 pages and he only started it on the 3rd ;)

Anyone remember Amy in season 7 of the Clinic?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

She has talent, she is beautiful.She is a good actress and works hard.
    She is not just lucky,
    Theres a joke .the harder i work the more lucky i get.
    One can be offered lead roles in various drama,s or comedys .
    Then one needs the talent and wiilpower to make it work and
    to make a connection with the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Well that passage is an OCD nightmare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

She seemed like an absolute air head the other night on the late late.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Dont know why Tubridy gives her so much air space. Literally every single season she is on promoting some new show or book. Not many people can empathise with her very comfortable and privileged life. Not sure what her point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Attractive, talented and successful woman married to a handsome sporting legend.

No wonder she gets a hard time 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Careful, E, you’ll just rile up the haters.

Successful, talented, women in the public eye are a particular “bugbear” of the angry lads on here.

Edit: I see they are already out.

The tide is turning…

Tori Spelling had neither talent nor willpower and it seemed to work for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

every show she does is a Bridget Jones cosplay/tribute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You might as well ask why people “fawn” over any celebrity, talented or talent free.

People have an inbuilt need to be fawning over something or someone.

Part of it is needing to distract ourselves from the humdrum of life.

People sneering at AH and BOD you will find on another evening slabbering over Conor McGregor or Billie Eilish.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I disagree. The interview was just ridiculously bland and pointless. She was just answering random boring questions from an inept interviewer.

Very nice down to earth girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

She should stick to more serious roles, she is far too attractive to be using humour for a living.

I reckon Tubridy fancies her big time.

I think she is gorgeous, I love older women who retain their beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Emmet the problem with Huberman is that she is neither successful nor that talented yet despite all the failures RTE still persist in throwing money at her. All while actual talented people in the industry find themselves having to move to London because theyre not part of the Montrose clique.

If you want to see a concrete example of this just look at the career of Samantha Barry. She interviewed for a job in RTE but she is from Cork so wasnt in the Montrose clique and she didnt get the job. So she upped sticks to London where the BBC hired her, then she went to New York where CNN hired her and now she works as an editor for Conde Nast and Anna Wintour. So Samantha Barry was good enough for the BBC, CNN and Conde Nast but not good enough for RTE <rolleyes>. And who did RTE actually employ? Lottie Ryan and Doireann Garrighy, talentless appointments all based on who they know inside the Montrose clique. It is nepotism at its finest.

Huberman is the archetype of that Montrose clique. RTE have given her enough chances in both screenwriting and acting and all of them have bombed. In between all these failures she religiously went to LA for years for the actors pilot season and never got picked up by a single show. In fact one show was commissioned after the pilot episode but they removed Huberman from the cast and replaced her before it began shooting which says it all She is mid table mediocrity at best and people have a right to criticise and call for better when we are all legally obliged to pay for this folly of RTE constantly giving her a chance to fail again. Not one of her proects can be described as any kind of a success and she has found her level now voicing Aldi ads and doing podcasts for 'Moms'.

Not everything has to be about your hobbyhorse of men hating women Emmet. If a clique like RTE promotes who you know rather true talent then it should be called out regardless of gender. Huberman is the epitomy of such a clique and people are right to complain when good talent is being locked out becasue shes occupying their seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Motivator

Unbelievable. Brilliant post and you absolutely nailed it. She is totally talentless and somehow RTE keep trying to keep her relevant when the reality is she was never relevant to begin with. She is hugely annoying and how can we forget that odious square headed toad she is married to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know.

I'm walking a thin line, it could go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That’s a very nasty and unnecessary thing to say about her husband.

Samantha Barry did get RTE - I knew her personally. She started off with graveyard news bulletins, eventually getting more desirable reporting work. Then she went to NewsTalk (RTE was probably all freelance), then went abroad - Australia, Asia, South America, then London, then NYC. As you say though, a phenomenal grafter. Pretty amazing for a girl from Ballincollig. Talented, but also crazy hard working, and a risk taker.

I agree however that RTE is terribly nepotistic, although moreso when it comes to light entertainment rather than news. Not all of them are necessarily untalented. Think of all the sons and daughters who DIDN'T get those gigs. There is some little bit of talent required. But yes, it's largely mediocre stuff too.

I remember one of those accounts which would just skirt the trolling line so get away with it, but he'd get plastered every now and then, and go off on one about the Jews. Boards' own Mel Gibson. 😊

He had a go at Amy Huberman one time anyway for being Jewish. Might be on this thread. He was nuts.

But as I said M, it's more a light entertainment than news thing. Although perhaps Samantha might have got a gig with nicer hours than the middle of the night news bulletins had she had connections.

The person behind the Emmet account does speak some truth though - there is always bizarre rage in relation to any female presenter here, and concrete reasons tend to be lacking. Not including your very detailed post by the way.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The rte clique extends to radio as well. Look at Ray Darcy. Every single time hes off on one of his 15 holidays a year its always Kathyrn Thomas who fills in for him. There are potentially dozens of other people already established or up and coming radio presenters who would kill for the gig of filling in for Darcy, with the added bonus of further opportunities on different slots if the audience warmed to them but they are denied that opportunity as its handed straight over to Thomas without question year after year. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

She is really witty. From a female perspective, a woman who has beauty, a happy family, success, they can seem above it, or superior. I'm not saying it's right but women beat themselves up. A woman of that status can seem threatening, smug or unfriendly. Amy, however, laughs at herself, has very good comedic timing and, I feel, appreciates her success. She doesn't appear to have notions and is a girls girl.

She's about as witty as getting stuck in the cellar with Buffalo Bill during a power cut.

She is not that successful either, that appears to be the issue.

For an aul one she is doing okay.....ish.

We are all rooting for her.

Well Ryan and Brian are anyways by the sounds of things, although the jury is still out on Brian atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That's the second time you've referred to her as an 'aul one'. As somebody who claims to be around since medieval times, surely to the likes of you, she'd be a young wan? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Amy Huberman ....

She starred as main char in 2 of the worst Irish dramas ever made ... Striking Out .. Finding Joy .. She never starred in any of the better Irish dramas such as Love/Hate ...

It is hard to know then if Amy is good actor ... only saw her ever in trash that no actor could make good!

The fawning is typical .... promotion of these things she is in no matter how awful they are ... that's what Irish TV do all the time ... If I were her I'd be looking for better material ... because I feel it is the material not her that is wrong ...

• Advertisement

I think it must be that because she always turns to her wit and humour that people don't know how to take her serious any more?

It's not fair, some of the negative comments about her acting are harsh, she kills it more often than not.

I reckon she could kill it doing an Angela Lansbury mimic in an Irish version of "Murder she Wrote", especially now that she has become more refined as an actor.

Advertisement