Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Huberman why all the fawning over her?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭TheDavester

roysh1 wrote: »
    Good to see that begrudgery is well and truly alive on Boards.ie

That's the most irritating phrase ever begrudgery- people are just sick of these talentless nobodies like Roz and the ilk popping up on newspapers/Facebook pages about non story events like what so and so has for lunch or every show Amy does is automatically totes amazeballs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Depends how busy the actor is.

Do you think that Graham Norton wrote his novel or was that sitting on the shelf waiting for a famous name to be author as well?

Norton was a comedian first which involves writing so it isn't as big a leap to believe he could become a novelist.

Obviously I've no proof but I'd be suspicious of any novel credited as being written by a celebrity.

Do you think Katie Price (aka Jordan) genuinely writes all the books she's credited with?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    What's not to like about Amy? She is pleasant, polite, bright, talented and very attractive. A good actress and married to rugby royalty to boot.

I sense begrudgery here...

I think this thread is more about why she has had such a ridiculous amount of praise on the front and second page of the country's biggest newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I think this thread is more about why she has had such a ridiculous amount of praise on the front and second page of the country's biggest newspaper.

Then the critique should be aimed at that raq of a newspaper rather than this girl.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, that's not Amy's fault, that's down to the Indo. Which is fairness is a populist rag that spouts a lot of bullsh*t and fluff to fill the column inches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

That's the most irritating phrase ever begrudgery- people are just sick of these talentless nobodies like Roz and the ilk popping up on newspapers/Facebook pages about non story events like what so and so has for lunch or every show Amy does is automatically totes amazeballs

I'd suggest you just ignore if it's causing you such annoyance. It's easy and cheap for sites like journal, independent etc to produce these articles and that's a model that works in an era where people don't pay for quality journalism. It's very easy avoid though. Being in a perpetual state of annoyance and outrage about minute seems to a thing on the Internet at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Norton was a comedian first which involves writing so it isn't as big a leap to believe he could become a novelist.

Obviously I've no proof but I'd be suspicious of any novel credited as being written by a celebrity.

Do you think Katie Price (aka Jordan) genuinely writes all the books she's credited with?

Do I believe Jordan did? No. But she's given no indication of having a vocabulary of more than 27 words so several thousand would be a stretch.

I have no reason to believe Amy Huberman didn't write a novel. She comes across as having a sharp enough wit and reasonably intelligent. Or ateast intelligent enough to wrote a book of generic fluff.

Jayop wrote: »
    Then the critique should be aimed at that raq of a newspaper rather than this girl.

It is though.That's how the thread started.It's difficult to criticize the excessive coverage she receives without also criticizing her as your saying she doesn't deserve the coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It is though.That's how the thread started.It's difficult to criticize the excessive coverage she receives without also criticizing her as your saying she doesn't deserve the coverage.

A-ha, you have me there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

the media whoring has a part to play and breeds resentment. if these people are asked for interviews they likely aren;t going to turn them down. The media go looking for them and then plaster them all over their publications. mcgregor, saoirse ronan, o donovan brothers and indeed amy huberman, people are sick of the overexposure and being told what gas clickbait craic they are imo. Begrudgery??? I don't know. It seems the go to phrase for every scenario involving a dislike for our own ''celebrities''.

• Advertisement

I'd suggest you just ignore if it's causing you such annoyance. It's easy and cheap for sites like journal, independent etc to produce these articles and that's a model that works in an era where people don't pay for quality journalism. It's very easy avoid though. Being in a perpetual state of annoyance and outrage about minute seems to a thing on the Internet at the moment.

Fairly difficult when it pops up on your feed on Facebook or twitter and when your mates share/like it - I wouldn't complain of the stories were of substance but mostly they're just kissing there arse - another reason why people are sick of the mainstream media

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 roysh1

I look at The Indo as basically a giant troll. All their supposed ass-licking and exalting of normal people like Pippa O'Connor etc. and their embellishing of non-stories like the rugby player threesome a few years ago is just trolling designed to irritate people. And hey, it's working for them, someone's started a thread about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Did a Google image search, didn't recognise her. She's alright looking, but to be honest you'd see better walking through many a small Irish town. I'm not far off a cave troll myself so no delusions of grandeur! Fair play to her for being successful, never popped onto my radar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

roysh1 wrote: »
    Good to see that begrudgery is well and truly alive on Boards.ie

It's not begrudgery, it's criticism, valid criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Write them? I dont think she has even read them.*

*shameless ripoff of a story about the novel that naomi campbell "wrote"

ligerdub wrote: »

criticism of who though?

Write them? I dont think she has even read them.*

*shameless ripoff of a story about the novel that naomi campbell "wrote"

Jordan is smarter than people credit her for, albeit probably not as smart as the ones who call her an amazing entrepreneur believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

criticism of who though?

The media, the publicist and the "celeb" themselves.
    All 3 are happily printing and feeding this nonsense.

criticism of who though?

Of the whole thing. Primarily the newspaper/media outlets, lickarse prominent Twitter folk and her herself in terms of her acting ability, which despite what some on here might say, is open to criticism.

People say she's nice as some sort of defence, is that relevant? I know plenty of nice people, doesn't mean they should be plastered all over the TV and newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Im fcuking sick of this crap. You have a go at an Irish actor/singer etc. and you're a begrudger. Such BS.

For the record, I think Amy Huberman is very average and trades on being in the right place, with the right crowd, at the right time. Ruth Negga is a far better actor and is only now getting some real recognition because she went abroad and proved herself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, that's not Amy's fault, that's down to the Indo. Which is fairness is a populist rag that spouts a lot of bullsh*t and fluff to fill the column inches.

It is naive in the extreme to suggest Ames or Roz, Rozanna , Vogue etc are not involved in this process. The content of a lot of the articles is testament to that.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Im fcuking sick of this crap. You have a go at an Irish actor/singer etc. and you're a begrudger. Such BS.

For the record, I think Amy Huberman is very average and trades on being in the right place, with the right crowd, at the right time. Ruth Negga is a far better actor and is only now getting some real recognition because she went abroad and proved herself.

Great shout, she's excellent. I did see something fairly stupid about her the other day (not by her) that said she should be the person of the year instead of Donald Trump, journalistic standards are in the ****ter these days. That said she is a genuine talent, and has screen presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Criticism of those doing the fawning ?

Praise of Ames herself though. Whether she is deserving of the fawning or not.

Having the quality of causing people to fawn over one whether one should be fawned over or not, is surely a remarkable attribute. And worthy of fawning over.

What a gal.

Of the whole thing. Primarily the newspaper/media outlets, lickarse prominent Twitter folk and her herself in terms of her acting ability, which despite what some on here might say, is open to criticism.

People say she's nice as some sort of defence, is that relevant? I know plenty of nice people, doesn't mean they should be plastered all over the TV and newspapers.

In fairness the thread is about the media fawning over her. Fawning over an actress that has just started a new series. Cant really blame her for doing publicity can you? it is part of her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pretty much. Sometimes it feels like barely a day goes by without the Indo publishing some sort of article on Huberman.

I was interested to find out so I did an advancd Google search of independent.ie for the keywords Amy Huberman. It returned 12,700 results. Literally thousands of articles written on her yet her career has never taken off in any meaningful way. And then today she makes the front page with a headline saying that she saved RTEs Christmas with her latest effort. All I see online is people saying the show was terrible with wooden acting yet the Indo thinks she deserves an Oscar.

Anyway for me the defining moment of the Indo fawning over Amy came a couple of years ago. Huberman and Sarah Greene were at some launch for the Irish Film Board to promote something or other. Sarah Greene was acting in a play on Broadway and had just been nominated for a Laurence Olivier award and a Tony award for best actress. But in the Indo article on the event it was all Amy, Amy, Amy. They were fawning over her so much that they forgot to even mention one of Irelands best actresses was in the room and had recently won international recognition.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/01/03/irish-independent-confirms-amy-huberman-has-won-9-oscars-for-new-rte-tv-drama/?utm_source=WWN_Facebook_Page&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Social_Link&utm_content=Article

Lol Waterford whispers did a humorous one for once

THE IRISH Independent exclusively revealed the stunning success of RTÉ’s new TV drama Striking Out in its print edition today, confirming Amy Huberman has won a record number of Oscars for a TV which is not eligible for the awards.

While a number of publications reviewed RTÉ’s new drama, ascribing it ratings from 1-to-5 while also confirming it had actors in it and that the show had a story and things did indeed happen within the show’s first episode, the Irish Independent went one step further in awarding 9 Oscars to the star.

“Amy, Amy, Amy, Amy,” screamed staff down the phone to WWN, presumably permanently scarring their vocal chords, when they were sought for comment on the unprecedented success of the show.

Oscar awards are normally handed out by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences based in LA and are reserved for movies, however, the Irish Independent took the strange step of awarding the gold statuettes to the actress.

The Independent later confirmed that Huberman astounded, stunned, astonished and other adjectives critics who were left with no choice but to award ‘The Hubernator’ with best director, best actress, best picture and best bestie for what the paper confirmed was a 9.9 out of 10 IMDB rated show.

Sensing an impending backlash from the public at ‘Aims’ endless success, the Independent confirmed that the ‘actress, author, hilarious woman, wife, mother, how does she do it’ would ‘slay’ something later today before ‘owning’ and ‘shutting down’ some other things.

To date, Independent News and Media has spent over €400 million in ‘is there anything Amy Huberman can’t do?’ related research.

Criticism of those doing the fawning ?

Praise of Ames herself though. Whether she is deserving of the fawning or not.

Having the quality of causing people to fawn over one whether one should be fawned over or not, is surely a remarkable attribute. And worthy of fawning over.

What a gal.

Nice try ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Muahahaha wrote: »
    They were fawning over her so much that they forgot to even mention one of Irelands best actresses was in the room and had recently won international recognition.

Was she married though to a transcendent man/god who could distort Newton's laws to his will and whose speed of thought is faster than the previous holder of the Fastest title, light ?
    No.
    QED.

In fairness the thread is about the media fawning over her. Fawning over an actress that has just started a new series. Cant really blame her for doing publicity can you? it is part of her job.

The fawning over her is totally unwarranted, as is her getting the roles in the first place. Nothing against her on a personal level, or indeed for her doing the PR or taking the parts, as I suspect would be agreed by everyone else on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Never heard of her
    Is she one who owns Uber Taxis
    That is very successful

Advertisement