Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Huberman why all the fawning over her?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I flick onto the Indo about once a month and they're always writing about her and the other few celebs we have, but in my opinion that's all you get on the indo along with a scary mongering crime piece and the daily SF article. Can't blame her for that.

She comes across really well I think and the comedy series she did in England was pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TheDavester

vkid wrote: »
    I don't care either way but the coverage she gets along with Roz, Rosanna,vogue etc in the indo particularly and rte as well is nauseating. The media are hell bent on creating a celeb scene in Ireland and the reality is the country is far too small for that kind of nonsense. The indo declared them Ireland's golden couple a few weeks ago. Some of the articles about these ladies are just absolutely dumb and it's really just done to create articles/clicks for websites. No-one really cares what Amy and bod had for lunch, or where they went shopping. They made a big deal out of their new house in the indo recently for example..And it was quite tasteless IMO given the homeless situation, but we got full blown articles on the house, the planning issues, the horror of having no carpets or curtains..In more than one article. It's not news and shouldn't be treated as such. Similarly Vogue and co. In the news for absolutely no reason at all.
    They also have really good PR people shoving this nonsense into the media outlets on a daily basis and the media are quite happy to publish. The likes of Amy Huberman are delighted with exposure. It makes them money at the end of the day...And no doubt they are all friendly with the "journalists" as well so all nice and cosy. You could blame the media for all this but their publicists and the people in question are as big a part of the problem.
    I refuse to click on these articles any more even out of curiosity

X2 I'm sick of the attention dedicated to talentless hacks like Vogue, Roz , Amanda Brunker, and the Like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Nicely spoken easy on the eye Irish woman married to ex rugby jock nicely spoken harmless bloke. Of course the media will lap it up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

X2 I'm sick of the attention dedicated to talentless hacks like Vogue, Roz , Amanda Brunker, and the Like

The media fawning on Roz and her pout is OTT... Vogue is famous for what exactly? Brunker? I'd love to know what their annual wage is out of their hustling....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

tigger123 wrote:
    That got her a break I'm sure, but she's a good actor in her own right.

She isn't.

Edit: I accept she was already known before she met him. Still, I don't think she's a good actress. She's invariably been the worst thing in anything I've seen her in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

She is not the one all over TV at the moment. Deirdre O'kane is, probably a lovely woman but I can't stand her accent and she just annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Great suggestion. Thanks. Now I'm aware there's an actress called Amy Huberman who has been in something on RTE and some films I've never heard of.

Thats the joy of Google. You've gone from "still have no idea who she is" to "an actress called Amy Huberman who has been in something on RTE and some films"....

What an age we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Clearly, Irish Guitarist exists in a different intellectual sphere to frippery such as Irish celebrities.

Amirite?

Googled frippery.. still no idea what it means..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Good thread, totally agree with the sentiment.

There is a throwback by some people that there isn't fawning, and/or the argument that she's nice/talented etc. The only bit of that that's true is that she's nice. Everyone likes her, I like her too, but she's not a good actress, and I'm holding back there.

She's consistently held up as the headline act in anything she appears in on RTE, and is usually not good in them. The Stag (good film, she's rubbish), Your Bad Self (funny, but not for her) and Can't Cope Won't Cope (terrible, and she was worse). There was also that thing in the UK that she was panned for.

Judging by the tweets of what I assume are mostly cronies on Twitter they are so far up her arse you can barely see their shoes. I get that they think she's good and all, which is fair enough, but they are completely ignoring the consensus that she's an average to poor actress. She was on the cover of the Independent today hailed as the saviour of RTE. The message is ridiculous enough in itself, but the front page?! I heard somebody refer to her as some sort of national treasure on Brendan O'Carrolls chat show recently. She is clearly being fawned over, barely debatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

dudara wrote: »
    She's pretty, famous, funny and married to one of our rugby legends. She's written novels and starred in TV shows, which is more than I've done. Plus, she seems to be a fairly classy lady.

She's not 100% my cup of tea but I wish her success. No need to be tearing someone down.

Isn't every rugby player "a legend"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

bigpink wrote: »
    She is always in the media.I watched her new show last night and imo it was poor.Saw her in that other Rte series recently and again not great but people do be fawning over her
    She juat seems to go over me

Nobody fawns over her. So you are trying to shoot down something that doesnt exist. Maybe you have a tendency towards fawning over her yourself, but it unsettles you. Or you have a subconscious jealousy of her all round loveliness and success.

However. Since you bring up the topic. She is a dote. And the mother of The Driskster's babies.

Un peu de respect s'il vous plait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Googled frippery.. still no idea what it means..

Playing guitar in the style of King Crimson or early 80s Talking Heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

bigpink wrote: »
    She is always in the media.I watched her new show last night and imo it was poor.Saw her in that other Rte series recently and again not great but people do be fawning over her
    She juat seems to go over me

Why start a thread about her then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Isn't every rugby player "a legend"

Certainly not. That is a title (and learn to spell it correctly), reserved only for Munster players.

BOD is on a different frame of existence altogether. Common mortals can be liginds. BOD inhabits dimensions of the universe that are as yet not understood by our most advanced theories on the universe. We glimpsed instances of it in his playing days.
    That Ames is his chosen, means she should be treated as a queen.

To give the Indo its due, they do do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Nobody fawns over her. So you are trying to shoot down something that doesnt exist. Maybe you have a tendency towards fawning over her yourself, but it unsettles you. Or you have a subconscious jealousy of her all round loveliness and success.

However. Since you bring up the topic. She is a dote. And the mother of The Driskster's babies.

You obviously have never read the Irish Independent or Sunday Independent (which are the 2 biggest newspapers in the country).The article this morning in the indo was vomit inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I know she has been credited with writing them but I genuinely doubt that she actually wrote them. Becasue of who her husband is and the renown she has because of this it's bound to help sales of generic fluff like that if they attach her name to it and pay some lackey to write the book.

So...she wouldn't be able to write generic fluff so they got someone else to write it?

If they were cashing in on the name, they could have asked the child to write it and slap her name on it.

I don't imagine if read the book but it's not incomprehensible that she could put together ~75,000 words of generic fluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Had to laugh at this from the Indo in their Amy saves Christmas dribble this morning..
    "And, of course, there was also Vogue Williams - whom RTÉ has apparently decided should be a permanent fixture on all its TV and radio output."

The worst culprits for pushing Vague Williams on the world are the Indo themselves.
    It really is the lowest form of "journalism"...or at least down there with the Paul Williams level. utter rubbish. I don;t care how nice Amy or Vogue or Pippa or anyone else is on a 1 to 1, there is no need for the amount of articles these people appear in for next to no reason at all.

Amy goes for lunch and has a cheese sandwich
    Pippa spends Xmas in Dubai
    Rosanna has a great tan after her Xmas in Marbella
    Roz gets new pet dog after break up with bressie
    Roz takes new dog for walk after break up with Bressie
    Bressie, Roz, Rosanna and Pippa all go for lunch and take Roz's dog for a walk
    Brian and Vogue are still great friends
    Brian and Vogue are still great friends but she is seeing someone new
    Brian, Vogue and her new beau all go for lunch and take Roz's new dog for a walk.
    Brian and Roz's new dog have affair but Vogue still loves them both
    BOD and Amy buy new couch for new home, but fear it won't match the curtains they haven't bought yet.
    BOD sends Amy adorable text to tell her he is on the way home.
    Twitter explodes as Pippa designs new jeans for Roz's new dog

this is not far off the level we are at, particularly in the Indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You obviously have never read the Irish Independent or Sunday Independent (which are the 2 biggest newspapers in the country).The article this morning in the indo was vomit inducing.

It's nothing more than the Irish daily mail anymore and these articles are designed to distract the stupid.

And when it all goes awry, the Indo will also call her Vague Williams.

Because wit.

So...she wouldn't be able to write generic fluff so they got someone else to write it?

If they were cashing in on the name, they could have asked the child to write it and slap her name on it.

I don't imagine if read the book but it's not incomprehensible that she could put ~75,000 words of generic fluff.

It's not incomprehensible she could have wrote it but I doubt she did.As someone else said it was probably sitting on the shelf at the publishers and they used her name to sell it.

I doubt people would have bought it on the basis a child wrote it and obviously that would be totally unbelievable.

Steve Bruce is credited with having written 3 soccer based novels however it looks like he didn't actually write them and his name was used to help sell the books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

The Drickster? Lol! Give me strength.
    He had his day, great great player...but annoying as hell as a pundit.
    Not quite as bad a Luke Fitzgerald, but not good at all.

And for every time he and his wife appear in the paper for absolutely no good reason whatsoever, I lose a bit more respect for him.

Jayop wrote: »
    It's nothing more than the Irish daily mail anymore and these articles are designed to distract the stupid.

They are but it still doesn't mean there's a whole load of fawning over her and O'Driscoll.

I remember reading a piece on the internet that described them as "intensely private" which is obviously bollox as if they were we wouldn't even know they were married.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,915 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think in fairness the (S)Indo is a far bigger offender in this whole matter than either Amy Huberman or her husband!

It's not incomprehensible she could have wrote it but I doubt she did.As someone else said it was probably sitting on the shelf at the publishers and they used her name to sell it.

I doubt people would have bought it on the basis a child wrote it and obviously that would be totally unbelievable.

Steve Bruce is credited with having written 3 soccer based novels however it looks like he didn't actually write them and his name was used to help sell the books.

People would have bought it on the basis her name was on it as the author.

I don't see why it's more believable to come up with a story that a book was written and sitting on a shelf waiting for a famous woman to put her name to it than it is that she wrote it. Especially since you've said it's generic fluff.

Anyway, Bruce's books are awful. Well, Striker is. It's entirely believable he wrote them even if he didnt

People would have bought it on the basis her name was on it as the author.

I don't see why it's more believable to come up with a story that a book was written and sitting on a shelf waiting for a famous woman to put her name to it than it is that she wrote it. Especially since you've said it's generic fluff.

Anyway, Bruce's books are awful. Well, Striker is. It's entirely believable he wrote them even if he didnt

Because 99% of actors don't tend to have a double career as novelists and the fact that the book was released when she was going out with O'Driscoll and had a fair degree of fame in this country.She may have wrote it but I genuinely doubt she did.

Because 99% of actors don't tend to have a double career as novelists and the fact that the book was released when she was going out with O'Driscoll and had a fair degree of fame in this country.She may have wrote it but I genuinely doubt she did.

Depends how busy the actor is.

Do you think that Graham Norton wrote his novel or was that sitting on the shelf waiting for a famous name to be author as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Certainly not. That is a title (and learn to spell it correctly), reserved only for Munster players.

BOD is on a different frame of existence altogether. Common mortals can be liginds. BOD inhabits dimensions of the universe that are as yet not understood by our most advanced theories on the universe. We glimpsed instances of it in his playing days.
    That Ames is his chosen, means she should be treated as a queen.

To give the Indo its due, they do do that.

Legend is spelled correctly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 roysh1

Good to see that begrudgery is well and truly alive on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,915 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Suas11 wrote: »
    Legend is spelled correctly
    Whoosh! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What's not to like about Amy? She is pleasant, polite, bright, talented and very attractive. A good actress and married to rugby royalty to boot.

I sense begrudgery here...

Advertisement