Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Very Good Looking people have it easier in life

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I think it makes a huge difference. Good looks open all kind of doors in life, work and social.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Good looks is like having a high IQ: A couple of disadvantages, but the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Late to the party but people who are better looking have it easier for sure!

The difference in treatment when you are out and about in jeans/hoody/no makeup/hair up compared to being out wearing heels/makeup and hair down is like night and day....so that shows what an impact appearance has.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I've an extremely good looking female friend. She is also very chatty/friendly. She gets things wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier than most in life and doesn't realise it. From free drinks from barmen, flowers/chocolates left on her desk to employers bending over backwards to hire her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Some of these posts are leaving out men. Good looking men have it far easier in some aspects of life than average looking men and that may not apply to females. Women have to deal with unwanted attention, cattiness, jealousy, not being taken seriously in their workplace etc. Good looking guys would rarely have these problems IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    Some of these posts are leaving out men. Good looking men have it far easier in some aspects than average looking men. Women have to deal with unwanted attention, cattiness, jealousy not being taken seriously in their workplace etc. Good looking guys would rarely have these problems IMO.

That exact point has been made several times.

While it's probably less of an issue for them, they almost certainly have an issue of jealousy, and most probably unwanted attention.

I always like the fact that the unwanted attention slant is only ever viewed from the point of view of the receiver in that context. What about the person dolling it out, trying to make a connection, and being rebuffed. I think that explains the scales there in terms of who has it easier or difficult.

It's similar with tall people. Studies show they can be more confident as they tend to get more positive reactions from people and some are intimidated by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

py2006 wrote: »
    It's similar with tall people. Studies show they can be more confident as they tend to get more positive reactions from people and some are intimidated by them.

This is very true. I notice a difference even between when i wear high heels or not - im 5'10 in flats and over 6ft in any decent heel. It definitely makes people listen to you more!

I always wear high shoes to job interviews/situations where i need more confidence as it really helps to look down on most people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Parchment wrote: »
    Late to the party but people who are better looking have it easier for sure!

The difference in treatment when you are out and about in jeans/hoody/no makeup/hair up compared to being out wearing heels/makeup and hair down is like night and day....so that shows what an impact appearance has.

Definitely. I'm reasonably good looking (in my late twenties now so I guess the pot is pretty much off the boil but whatever) but don't usually wear make-up, and tend to wear clothes that conceal my figure.

If for whatever reason I've had to/wanted to make an effort with my appearance there is a HUGE difference in how my day goes. Easier to cross the road, easier to walk through a crowded space. Get served quicker. People are just plain nicer and more attentive.

ligerdub wrote:
    While it's probably less of an issue for them, they almost certainly have an issue of jealousy, and most probably unwanted attention.

I don't know any lads that treat anyone differently cos they are good looking. Have seen no jealousy. And not many guys would find a woman showing any sort of interest as unwanted. (Even though the majority of women don't show interest IMO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Definitely. I'm reasonably good looking (in my late twenties now so I guess the pot is pretty much off the boil but whatever) but don't usually wear make-up, and tend to wear clothes that conceal my figure.

If for whatever reason I've had to/wanted to make an effort with my appearance there is a HUGE difference in how my day goes. Easier to cross the road, easier to walk through a crowded space. Get served quicker. People are just plain nicer and more attentive.

This is definitely true. If I wear a hoody and glasses and shuffle around, nobody looks at me but if I am dressed up, glasses off and a small bit of lipstick or something I get noticed. It's mad as I'm the same person but people do judge with their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Definitely. I'm reasonably good looking (in my late twenties now so I guess the pot is pretty much off the boil but whatever).
    You're years off it - please don't buy into that bollocks. :)

Flimpson wrote: »
    You're years off it - please don't buy into that bollocks. :)

Ah sure I'm not bothered really, I'm not haggard and bet down or anything, but I've probably been as good-looking as I'm ever going to be already,y'know? C'est la vie. The benefits of being older far outweigh anything looks-related, if it was a choice between living in the head I have now or the body and face I had ten years ago I'd stay put, no hesitation.

Same experiences here. I'm average enough looking and don't put too much thought into my appearance as a rule, but when I've put in a bit of effort - doors open, bags are carried, chairs proffered, and smiles offered more freely.

I think you're only hitting your stride in your late 20's though, as confidence makes a huge difference and you definitely gain it with the years. I'm only getting started.

Late 20's = Past it??? Get tfeck out. You beautiful ladies are only hitting your stride :D

I'm not tall (5'9) and certainly nothing much beyond avg looking but put a suit on me and I get a lot more respect and attention. even the odd stranger will say 'hello sir'. lol

Candie wrote: »
    Same experiences here. I'm average enough looking and don't put too much thought into my appearance as a rule, but when I've put in a bit of effort - doors open, bags are carried, chairs proffered, and smiles offered more freely.

I think you're only hitting your stride in your late 20's though, as confidence makes a huge difference and you definitely gain it with the years. I'm only getting started.

There's a learning curve with clothes and makeup too, or oh boy there was for me anyway :D in that respect I look better now. But my body ain't what it was, the boobs are a lot more acquainted with my armpits than they used to be... I could probably hit the gym and keep things the way they were for a another few years but like I said, couldn't be bothered! I smoke and I was a heavy drinker for most of my twenties so I'm probably seeing the effect of that sooner than cleaner living folk.

Would you notice a difference between countries in relation to being treated differently when you're done up? It'd be my impression that Ireland is less looks focused than somewhere like the States but I've never been. Online I've seen a lot of American women talking about their looks as something they feel has had a massive negative impact on their life, these would be women who describe themselves as ugly.

Would you notice a difference between countries in relation to being treated differently when you're done up? It'd be my impression that Ireland is less looks focused than somewhere like the States but I've never been. Online I've seen a lot of American women talking about their looks as something they feel has had a massive negative impact on their life, these would be women who describe themselves as ugly.

I'd say women put more emphasis on their own looks in Dublin/London than most other places I've lived. I rarely see the kind of heavy 'night out' make-up that's become commonplace in Dublin/London where I live, where a more natural look is preferred.

It's probably a highly localized thing to certain locations and/or professions, but I can only think of a couple of women in my acquaintance who would be particularly focused on their looks and accordingly would be inclined to attribute negative or positive impacts as a consequence.

Of course that observation is probably wildly skewed by my social group and preferred activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,764 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

To post here should require a photo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

To post here should require a photo

Or rate yourself out of 10 before posting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It's probably more difficult for good looking people to remain monogamous. Lots of offers and temptation. Cheating just isn't an option for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

py2006 wrote: »
    I'm not tall (5'9) and certainly nothing much beyond avg looking but put a suit on me and I get a lot more respect and attention. even the odd stranger will say 'hello sir'. lol

Funny you say that, when I had to wear a suit in my last job, I always got stopped on the street from people asking for directions. I've also had servers in shops skip other customers waiting longer and attend to me when I wore a suit. I would always direct them to whomever was before me though unless it was a crazy mayhem packed bar where first come first served was futile. Being tall helped in those situations as well and smiling/making eye contact at the bar staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    Some of these posts are leaving out men. Good looking men have it far easier in some aspects of life than average looking men and that may not apply to females. Women have to deal with unwanted attention, cattiness, jealousy, not being taken seriously in their workplace etc. Good looking guys would rarely have these problems IMO.

In the gay scene, good looking guys have to put up with a lot of unwanted attention from creeps, guys who just don't understand no and gay guys you'd like to just be friends with but they want something more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm 33 and its very rare I'd see a woman in her 30's that I'd be attracted to. I tend to like women from 21-28. Then again I know plenty of women in their 20's that are going out with guys in their 30's and even 40's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm 33 and its very rare I'd see a woman in her 30's that I'd be attracted to. I tend to like women from 21-28. Then again I know plenty of women in their 20's that are going out with guys in their 30's and even 40's.

Right, which is why I said most guys past 40 can't usually pull a girl from 20-25. Maybe you'll be an outlier and will skirt the odds into your 50s and beyond!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I am without doubt, far hotter now than I was 10 years ago in my mid 20s. I have a much better figure. Know how to wear clothes and make up now that I wouldn't have back then. And I am infinitely more confident. I also know how to be sexy.

Perhaps I was prettier 10 years ago, but I didn't have all the other things to go with it so hotter for sure.

No doubt I'll go downhill soon enough but for now I'm doing ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't see any issue with the age gap thang, if both are into it, but in general everyday terms outside of film stars, lead singers and tribal guys with a hundred head of fatted cattle and a fetching bone through the nose most guys(and gals) tend to hover around their own age when it comes to attraction, with a general skewing towards the woman being the younger to some degree. Big age gaps, like over ten, fifteen years are rare enough. To survive much beyond a flingette anyway. And I say that as a bloke who tended to end up in age gap relationships well above the average. I've haven't gone out with a woman "my own age" since I was 20.

As far as attraction goes; for me - and given my previous - I wouldn't "feel it" beyond a certain age gap TBH. And oddly(or not) it would be in the physical end. Me at 50 I can most certainly mentally gel with a woman of say 25, but in the physical not so much. At 35 I would have, but now, nope. I can appreciate why others might, but not for me TBH. Now my attraction point would be in the thirties.

Now if I was asked to respond to a survey question along the ones of: What age are women at their most attractive in general? Sure, yeah I'd probably say 20-25, but if the question was phrased: What age are women at their most attractive to you? I'd have a different answer. I'd have a different answer if I'd been asked when I was 15. Then I'd be thinking a 25 year old was an Oulwan(™). :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A lot of women are very against the idea of dating guys younger than them. Seen this first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Flimpson wrote: »
    Well, unless I misread him, he said a normal man who is 40 and cannot pull a woman aged 20-25 has something wrong with him - unlikely that's a sincere statement or not written to be provocative.

But I am absolutely not saying there is anything wrong with men who are a lot older finding women aged 20-25 most attractive - as you say, preference is not voluntary.

What I am saying though is that it being how *most* men feel, doesn't chime with what I observe - i.e. men in their 30s and 40s only fancying women in their late 20s at the youngest. Although metaoblivia's point about online dating studies indicating the 20-25 thing is actually the case - food for thought.

Yeah fair enough, although I figured it wasn't aimed as a barb towards an individual so I wouldn't have classed it as trolling as such, but to be fair I could see how it might be perceived as such.

In terms of the last paragraph, I think there is a difference between who people's partners are, and what they find their ideal. There are a couple of key reasons why this persists. One of course is realism and suitability, the other is the family unit. You're also not going to have many guys freely admitting to you anything other than what you've put forward, especially in front of what I assume are wives or girlfriends :D

The online study is interesting, in that it reflects the more visual preferences are towards the 20-25 bracket, which doesn't surprise me. Online there is no awareness of personality or other factors. In fairness I think most men have little interest in a serious relationship with a woman in that age bracket once they (the men) themselves go beyond say early 30's. They have less relate-able lives and interests, and have different levels of confidence, it makes it less likely to have a suitable connection.

That aside though, on appearance alone, the guy finds the 20-25 yo physically more attractive in the main. The theme of a reasonable proportion of men having girlfriends/wives 5-10 years younger than them isn't going away any time soon. The norm probably being a 1-3 yr age difference men over women.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Guys, if you know someone's a re-reg then report it and move on please. Don't engage them.

Advertisement