Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Very Good Looking people have it easier in life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

If you're only seeing them on facebook then you're seeing them at specific angles and possibly with filters, which may be why you don't see them when you're out in the real world.

That said, I do think there are a lot more beautiful Irish women out there than AH would ever let you believe.

Yep I thought about that when I was typing it, probably true to a certain extent alright - especially as the angles and lots of makeup is at play. Obviously guys don't have that advantage, so it's a bit one-sided! That said, I still think it is true to a large extent, and you can still tell which girls are good-looking and there seem to be more of them.

And totally yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

anna080 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but certainly where I'm from there are more wow looking women than wow looking men. So I think if you are a very attractive looking man, then you have it easier than your female counterpart. I see girls all the time where I'm like "she's gorgeous, nice hair, nice face etc", but I rarely ever see a guy where I stop and think "wow what a hunk". So I think being an attractive male makes it easier, you can have your pick of the bunch so to speak. The ratio is much smaller and I think that's why you see more gorgeous looking girls with average looking men than the other way around.

I agree. Whenever I see someone attractive, or that makes me say "Wow!" or "They're gorgeous!" it's a woman. 100% of the time.

I think that just means I'm attracted to women...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Just thinking of three people, ex colleagues, (different places I worked) who were extremely good looking. Did that make life easier for them? I have no idea.

The other thing they all have in common is that they were very hard working, and just goddam nice people! I actually think none of them had any idea of just how good looking they were anyway.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that they view the actions and motivations of attractive people in a more positive light than those of average looking people.

There's a lot of nice average looking people out there but in my experience their niceness is rarely commented upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I went to college with a girl who I found extremely irritating, she was very nosey and was just an all round irritant. She was amazing looking though so the lads loved her and used to tell us regularly that we were jealous of her looks and that's why we didn't like her, I can guarantee you if she was short and fat and unattractive the guys who adored her and thought her nosiness was "cute" would have thought she was the most annoying girl going. She had very few female friends but always scored the guys, but of course we were deemed jealous of her, nothing to do with the fact she was an annoying fcuk.

It's funny, if someone is attractive your negative opinion of them is seen as jealousy, but if they're ugly your negative opinion is legitimised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I could be wrong, but certainly where I'm from there are more wow looking women than wow looking men. So I think if you are a very attractive looking man, then you have it easier than your female counterpart. I see girls all the time where I'm like "she's gorgeous, nice hair, nice face etc", but I rarely ever see a guy where I stop and think "wow what a hunk". So I think being an attractive male makes it easier, you can have your pick of the bunch so to speak. The ratio is much smaller and I think that's why you see more gorgeous looking girls with average looking men than the other way around.

Take away make-up, fake tan and other cover-ups there really is no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

LLMMLL wrote: »
    What a lot of people fail to realize is that they view the actions and motivations of attractive people in a more positive light than those of average looking people.

There's a lot of nice average looking people out there but in my experience their niceness is rarely commented upon.

That wasn't the point I was making at all.

My point was that this thread put me thinking; I thought of three people off the top of my head who I would say were extremely good looking. I have no idea whether or not that made life easier or not for them.

But in addition to being good looking they were also nice, and very hard working. So, I have no idea whether their looks helped or hindered them, in getting on in life, since they also had nice personalities and were good workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Life is probably harder if you're good looking.

Particularly if you're a bird, my missus gets harassed in bars and nightclubs, and she spends ages getting ready for everything.

I'm a filthy beast and life is pretty easy for me, I'm looking at all the pretty people and they have to look at me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Glenster wrote: »
    Life is probably harder if you're good looking.
    Doubtful. Life is bound to be easier for them in a lot of ways (even if relatively hard in some ways). Life is likely hardest in this regard for people who do not have the looks and have no confidence.

Flimpson wrote: »
    Doubtful. Life is bound to be easier for them in a lot of ways (even if relatively hard in some ways). Life is likely hardest in this regard for people who do not have the looks and have no confidence.

I don't know. She cant ever relax, and that's one of my favourite things to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I don't know. She cant ever relax, and that's one of my favourite things to do.

What has taking ages to get ready got to do with her being good looking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Probably easier to be a good looking man, than a good looking woman.

route9 wrote: »
    Yep I thought about that when I was typing it, probably true to a certain extent alright - especially as the angles and lots of makeup is at play. Obviously guys don't have that advantage, so it's a bit one-sided! That said, I still think it is true to a large extent, and you can still tell which girls are good-looking and there seem to be more of them.

And totally yeah!

Absolutely, I'm not for a second saying that all women's pictures on facebook are like this at all. Just that it would explain why you see more there than real life.

I do know plenty of people who look nothing like their social media pictures.

For example, I was told a friend of a friend works where I do. I didn't recognise her at all when they showed me her FB/snapchats. Never saw her before. Then they showed me a snapchat of her in work, and I realised she works in my building, which isn't huge. Turns out I do know her, but mother of god she looks nothing like off the internet!

But that's another thread entirely!

What has taking ages to get ready got to do with her being good looking?

I don't really understand it myself. Probably not a good idea to come out and ask her.

I don't really understand it myself. Probably not a good idea to come out and ask her.

Here's a clue:

Nothing.

She might be good looking because she takes longer to get ready, but she does not take longer to get ready because she's good looking.

Here's a clue:

Nothing.

She might be good looking because she takes longer to get ready, but she does not take longer to get ready because she's good looking.

She looks nice without makeup too. To be honest the makeup she wears only makes a difference for photos. I cant really tell the difference IRL.

Maybe if she was a beast she'd be less concerned about unflattering photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I think this applies to guys moreso, some lads in their teens have a more manly face/physique and look more attractive than their boyish looking peers.
    Prince Harry/Prince William is a prime example I think, where the one considered to be the hot one has swiched as they aged differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

LLMMLL wrote:

LLMMLL wrote:
    Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

It's farcical to say very good looking people have easier lives, they may have certain opportunities available to them because of their looks just like certain opportunities may be available to someone because of their intellect, their skills or their physical strength.
    They face the same insecurities and same problems as everyone else. I think in fact a lot of bitterness is spewed at the good looking, people tend to compensate for their own insecurities by reflecting onto those they are jealous of. Also not everyone likes "attention" from the opposite sex, some people would prefer to blend in, what's easier for one "good-looking" person may be a breaking point for another.

Easier in life, they definitely don't.

I think good looking people have polarising experiences. More people are going to have opinions of them, be it appreciation, lust, hero worship, jealousy and envy, hatred, etc, compared to more ordinary looking people.

Everyone has their own cross to bear in life, but I dare say the travails of good looking people are less onerous than your average frumpy sort who is wide and soft around the middle and not much to look at regardless. There is a lot to be said for a positive surface being associated with a positive interior, and a general feeling of contentment and confidence. That in itself has all sort of benefits. The vast majority of very attractive people are also healthy, fit and take care of themselves. A part of their attractiveness is their self-esteem (for the most part) to treat themselves well, and invest time and energy in maintaining themselves.

Having said all that I think it's fair to say that they might not have easier lives, they almost certainly lead better lives (on average).
    When you boil it down in life, there are a few factors which most people target as important. Career, circle of friends, partner, family, status

Does it help your job prospects: Undoubtedly. It won't help you get an interview, the bulk of your prospects are built on your skills and experience. Having said that once you're at interview stage, you have a much better chance to get the job if you have the poise and attractive exterior. You're also likely to progress though the ranks faster in my experience (so long as you're holding up other parts of the bargain).

Circle of friends: If you're the attractive one then people will flock to you, and will want you around them in social settings. This is an unquestionable positive in my opinion.

Partner: You're options for sexual partners go up massively if you have the right appearance. It's probably not going to be a big deal long-term but in a comparison to a person with an identical personality but with less positive physical attributes the more attractive person wins all day long, and can hold on to the partner they want.

Family: In the long run it could be a negative. You're more of a target/prize to people, and that can jeopardise the strength of a couple and the family. It also could lead to unsuitable partnerships than less physically attractive people who are less likely to be able to partner up based on appearances. Having said all that I'd say it's broadly positive for a strong family unit.

Status: Overall, I'd say it must be positive for your position in the world.

I can imagine it would be quite depressing when all the praise runs out. I mean being told your whole life you're beautiful, special, not like the rest etc.. And then one day the praise stops. I can imagine it would be quite damaging. You've been told all your life you're all of these things and then suddenly nobody thinks them about you anymore.

I'd rather be told you're nothing special and sure who will be looking at you like my lovely granny used to say to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lookinghere

I can imagine it would be quite depressing when all the praise runs out. I mean being told your whole life you're beautiful, special, not like the rest etc.. And then one day the praise stops. I can imagine it would be quite damaging. You've been told all your life you're all of these things and then suddenly nobody thinks them about you anymore.

I'd rather be told you're nothing special and sure who will be looking at you like my lovely granny used to say to me.

So you don't like compliments lol

So you don't like compliments lol

I was being facetious. Compliments are nice, as long as you don't take them too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭billyhead

Beauty is only skin deep as they say. I am told by colleagues, friends and family members that I am very handsome but I don't consider it myself (perhaps its a lack of confidence). Also some peoples opinions of good looking can be quite the contrary to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

anna080 wrote:

You don't know any good looking old people? I'm not talking about wanting to be a granny-banger, but you know a good looking old person when you see them. And I'm sure their peers know the good looking ones when they see them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I imagine it would be very individualistic, not everyone relies on that "praise" nor would every good looking person appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lookinghere

I was being facetious. Compliments are nice, as long as you don't take them too seriously.

I no you were. Looks can only get ppl so far you have to be talker too lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Ya can't say that good looking guys don't have it easier in certain regards. Of course it doesn't mean their life is rosie but it will help them in some aspects (Work, relationships etc)
    Women tho do have to put up with cattiness and a lot of unwanted attention from guys which I'd say is very annoying but at the same time, they will get a lot of attention from the guys they like and also job opportunities.
    Overall, its not all ****s and giggles for good looking people but i do feel they have it easier in some aspects of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

From what I can see, girls considered not conventionally attractive get a lot of unwanted attention from guys too, maybe the guys giving the attention to these girls arent the best looking but they still get it all the same

Im gay but I definitely have some female friends who are ugly, like my straight male friends have told me theyre ugly, but when we go out to clubs they'll still get some attention from guys. And youll probably say oh maybe guys just have different types etc and fair enough but I think its more the fact that a lot of drunk straight guys would get with anything with a beating heart and female parts. So girls, no matter what attractiveness, often get unwanted attention

I think it's rather negative to say that it's tough for them because they get unwanted attention. Unwanted attention is part of the deal to be part of the deal where you get the attention you genuinely want. The burden of those making a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

For the really really ridiculously good looking people, I'd have to imagine their lives are somewhat easier. In ways. Free drinks, extra tips if waitressing, extra favours from people with crushes, more kind gestures from strangers. Better first impressions (if friendly, of course!)

On the other hand I remember reading an article by a beautiful Irish girl who'd been sexually harassed numerous times in her life, including one life threatening attack abroad. In her situation, she might prefer to be more average looking.

Advertisement