Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Very Good Looking people have it easier in life

Options
  • 30-12-2016 11:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24

Do you think that very attractive people(conventionally) have it easier in life? I believe they do. I think we are more receptive to very good looking people. It's a fact of life (and I've seen it) that if you're better looking than someone who is of similar abilities to you, you will ascend the career ladder faster. I think good looks are a lot like money, in that they might not make you happy in of themselves, but they give you more options. Very attractive folks can afford to be more fussy when it comes to finding a partner. So what do you think? Do people who've won the genetic lottery have it easier in life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Yes,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't know if 'very' good looking people have better lives than say a decent good looking person but being attractive obviously has quite a lot of advantages over being ugly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well, they are nicer to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't think we they do, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Yes. I'm a tall, naturally well built man, and people seem to regard me as good looking.

Which is just as well, because I'm not the type of person who can just walk up to a woman in a bar and try chat her up. I'm way too shy (maybe not shy, more reserved) for that, but thankfully I seem to be adequately good looking enough for women to approach me frequently enough (though not all the time!), so I'm ok.

I guess my point with regard to this thread is if I was not a looker I'd probably be fcuked due to my shyness, so having decent looks is definitely an advantage. I have to try less than other blokes, from my viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I'm handsome and women ignore me. I assume it's because my grumpy nature is outwardly apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Of course especially women. Know a hot girl who got a nice new car for xmas from former boss. She wasnt with the company pizzing time!.

Hes twice her age whom has kids as old as her!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did someone fall down the ugly tree?

I'm handsome and women ignore me. I assume it's because my grumpy nature is outwardly apparent.

Yeah, you need to give off a good energy. Women like confidence... as do men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Some of them are quite stupid though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Ah, I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking.
    And I plan on finding out what that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pics or get the food in .

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I happen to know the most beautiful girl in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I think they do but not in all aspects of life. I don't think it makes much difference in work life re promotions etc.

I absolutely think that good looking people have a better time on a night out for example. I don't mean they have a free pass to shag anyone they want but I do think when it comes to people who might want to chat to you in a nightclub or bar, it does make a difference. Speaking from personal experience of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Of course especially women. Know a hot girl who got a nice new car for xmas from former boss. She wasnt with the company pizzing time!.

Hes twice her age whom has kids as old as her!

Well thats a bit of an extreme example now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I think there is a face that some people have, the people who are lucky enough to have it have it are instantly and subconsciously accepted in any room or place they walk into. These people can be any race, gender, creed, sexuality etc, etc. You see it all the time in commercials or corporate websites.

I know this for sure because I sure as hell don't have it, all the remarks, snap judgement's, hostility or sniggering comments made over the years piled end on end cannot be all one big coincidence.

roysh1 wrote: »
    Do you think that very attractive people(conventionally) have it easier in life? I believe they do. I think we are more receptive to very good looking people. It's a fact of life (and I've seen it) that if you're better looking than someone who is of similar abilities to you, you will ascend the career ladder faster. I think good looks are a lot like money, in that they might not make you happy in of themselves, but they give you more options. Very attractive folks can afford to be more fussy when it comes to finding a partner. So what do you think? Do people who've won the genetic lottery have it easier in life?

No its not easy let me tell you.

Im actually currently on the run, the police are after me....yes im so gorgeous they want to put me under A-rrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't think so. Good looking people aren't immune to being cheated on, for example. And they're often the object of jealousy from friends (and enemies) who want to take them down a peg or two. And people of the opposite sex can find them intimidating, or think they are out of their league and not worth approaching. Sometimes people are presumed to be vain and arrogant just because they look good. And good looking women are sometimes perceived to be less intelligent than plain women.

Most of that is anecdotal but I suspect many people have experienced some prejudice for being attractive. The existence of this thread shows that good looking people are perceived to have all sorts of advantages over plain people, and some people are bound to be resentful of someone they think has had an easier life overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I would say it has some advantages but I've known some pretty horrible good looking people that couldn't have been happy. The happiest people I know wouldn't be all that to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Good manners are more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Well groomed people do get ahead in the work place, not necessary "good looking" but people who look after themselves.

A lot of people that rely on looks I know end up worse off in the end, you need to put the work in to get and keep what you want in life, a nice smile will only get you so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think so.

Gotta wonder if being a ten or whatever all your live affects you positively in terms of confidence, demeanour and other soft skills though probably also helps with career advancement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I don't think so. Good looking people aren't immune to being cheated on, for example. And they're often the object of jealousy from friends (and enemies) who want to take them down a peg or two. And people of the opposite sex can find them intimidating, or think they are out of their league and not worth approaching. Sometimes people are presumed to be vain and arrogant just because they look good. And good looking women are sometimes perceived to be less intelligent than plain women.

Most of that is anecdotal but I suspect many people have experienced some prejudice for being attractive. The existence of this thread shows that good looking people are perceived to have all sorts of advantages over plain people, and some people are bound to be resentful of someone they think has had an easier life overall.

In 2016, over the space of a few months I went from being fairly overweight manboobs lad to athletic/fit. What really surprised me was that I started getting some very passive aggressive comments from a fair few people. Kind of depressed me at the time. Some people really do want you to fail.

It's hard being such a ride:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Saipanne wrote: »
    Women like confidence... as do men!

Nah, nail them while they're vulnerable, that's my motto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Not if your a girl, men will be trying to bang you constantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Not if your a girl, men will be trying to bang you constantly.

Is that not good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

In 2016, over the space of a few months I went from being fairly overweight manboobs lad to athletic/fit. What really surprised me was that I started getting some very passive aggressive comments from a fair few people. Kind of depressed me at the time. Some people really do want you to fail.

It's hard being such a ride:D

I'm sure it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

learn_more wrote: »
    I think they do but not in all aspects of life. I don't think it makes much difference in work life re promotions etc.

Apparently they do have it easier at work. Studies consistently reveal that they are the beneficiaries of bias more often than their ordinary looking workmates and more likely to do well in interviews than similarly qualified, less genetically gifted in the looks dept interviewees.

Depressing, huh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Saipanne wrote:
    Yes. I'm a tall, naturally well built man, and people seem to regard me as good looking.

Saipanne wrote:
    I guess my point with regard to this thread is if I was not a looker I'd probably be fcuked due to my shyness, so having decent looks is definitely an advantage. I have to try less than other blokes, from my viewpoint.

Hmmmmmmm

• Advertisement

dbagman wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmm

I don't follow.

Advertisement