Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid deli workers, annoying as fucκ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

If you're going to Spar/Centra etc for a "roll" you're not really expecting haute cuisine with five star service now are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I used to work in a Deli aswell and it's an-absolutely horrible f*cking job. There might be stupid Deli workers like there are stupid people in every profession, but there are plenty of ignorant stupid customers, assholes who want the entire f*cking counter in their sandwich/roll, f*cking ridiculous, assholes who ask for butter/mayonesse ackward assholes. And there's a lot more to working in a Deli than making sandwiches, that's just the sh*ttest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Jaysus the amount of people who are saying "oh just make it yourself" yeah remember that when you're next in a restaurant and they make a mistake. Sure don't complain - make it yourself.

Well if you get served a crap food , you just don't go to that restaurant again.

Who do u complain to, I suppose the waiter who's got f*ck all to do with the quality of the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 psychoniamh

I have never once managed to order a salad roll with no meat without them looking appalled and disgusted and asking me if I am sure I don't want chicken.

I know some people would agree with this :P I am not even a vegetarian I just sometimes would have preferred a roll without meat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oops69 wrote: »
    why are you asking a rhetorical question of a busy minimum wage deli- worker?, because you think youre hilarious ? ,the silence is not a confused silence just the guy behind the counter restraining himself from telling you to fcuk off or worse , which you would deserve in this situation of course .

Some places do use butter. Most use a sort of Stork margarine thing from a big tub.

Depending on the answer, I may or may not want 'butter', so it is not a rhetorical question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

fin12 wrote: »
    I used to work in a Deli aswell and it's an-absolutely horrible f*cking job. There might be stupid Deli workers like there are stupid people in every profession, but there are plenty of ignorant stupid customers, assholes who want the entire f*cking counter in their sandwich/roll, f*cking ridiculous, assholes who ask for butter/mayonesse ackward assholes. And there's a lot more to working in a Deli than making sandwiches, that's just the sh*ttest part.

How dare they to want the roll they're going to pay for to be the way they like it. A**holes indeed. And the inconvenience for the poor deli workers. Oh my god. How dare they.

Ah fuck it, its Christmas. Lets just be happy or so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

fin12 wrote: »
    Well if you get served a crap food , you just don't go to that restaurant again.

Who do u complain to, I suppose the waiter who's got f*ck all to do with the quality of the food.

The chef maybe? Ask to see him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just hate when they're ridiculously stingy with the portions. There's always one person in any given deli that acts as if every strand of cheese, leaf of lettuce and piece of chicken is being closely monitored and deducted from their salary. One guy even measures out just enough chicken, piece of by piece, to ensure the thinnest possible veneer on the roll, topped off with a new born infants handful of cheese and a spoonful of lettuce, leaving the roll 80% bread. I generally buy from the same one or two deli's all the time and both have a staff member like that, I tend to leave it if they're going to be making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I just hate when they're ridiculously stingy with the portions. There's always one person in any given deli that acts as if every strand of cheese, leaf of lettuce and piece of chicken is being closely monitored and deducted from their salary. One guy even measures out just enough chicken, piece of by piece, to ensure the thinnest possible veneer on the roll, topped off with a new born infants handful of cheese and a spoonful of lettuce, leaving the roll 80% bread. I generally buy from the same one or two deli's all the time and both have a staff member like that, I tend to leave it if they're going to be making it.

Try a breakfast roll in the Esso garages.

1 Sausage, 1 Pudding, 1 Bacon. Each item cut into 5 or 6 pieces then slap a sticker on it for 5.50

Nah love sorry changed my mind.

Christ imagine the price if you asked for extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I used to work in a deli. When someone came in with an attitude we used the knife we'd all licked to make their food.

Be nice to deli workers. It's a feckin thankless Jon.

Hope you're joking - if not you're a disgrace. We live in a free economy. If you don't like your job, leave and get a better one.

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »
    Hope you're joking - if not you're a disgrace. We live in a free economy. If you don't like your job, leave and get a better one.

Not to condone what they allegedly did... but don't for a second pretend it's that easy to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I heard recently that your standard chicken fillet roll can have something like 1000 calories. Any truth in that anyone know?
    Love a cheesy chicken fillet roll......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I heard recently that your standard chicken fillet roll can have something like 1000 calories. Any truth in that anyone know?
    Love a cheesy chicken fillet roll......

I don't see why not - a deep fried chicken fillet is probably about 400, handful of cheese 100, mayo would be another 100, roll itself probably about 300....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I have never once managed to order a salad roll with no meat without them looking appalled and disgusted and asking me if I am sure I don't want chicken.

I know some people would agree with this :P I am not even a vegetarian I just sometimes would have preferred a roll without meat.

I was in a place recently that had a chicken salad roll with a drink on special for 3.99 or something like that. I'm a vegetarian so I asked for a salad roll, no chicken and got charged 3.99 without the drink. That was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Not to condone what they allegedly did... but don't for a second pretend it's that easy to get a job.

Maybe not easy, but it's not 2011 any more. There's a job out there for anyone if you want it badly enough. And I think to be honest that was the case then too. You just have to be prepared to sell yourself as a great employee.

Pointing out your previous employer's flaws directly probably won't be a great start, but upsell your ability to identify and solve problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Thread title and attitude towards the deli worker stinks.

Have we learned nothing from the last 9 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm just picturing a load of sandwich artists passing around a sharp knife for them all to lick :confused:

No. Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

dfeo wrote: »
    When I ask for a white roll, don't just assume want butter and just put a glob on the knife.

Don't look so shocked at me ask me if "I'm sure" when I tell you I want neither butter nor mayonnaise.

Don't cut my roll open with a butter-laden knife after I clearly stated that I don't want butter, thus leaving butter residue in my roll.

When I ask for meat, salad and stuffing, don't jam in the salad and put the meat on top then drizzle the stuffing on top, thus causing it to fall out.

When you cut my roll in half GO ALL THE WAY BASTARDING THROUGH, don't just cut half way thrugh it leaving me to tare the rest.

Why don't you actually just tell the deli assistant this instead of posting it here? It might be more effective.

I have a vegetarian sister who always asks deli staff to wipe boards and knives and change their gloves before serving her, it's no big deal. It's hardly worth getting worked up over. State clearly what you want them to do, or not do, before they have it done. There's no point complaining about it here afterwards if you don't speak up about it at the deli counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Thread title and attitude towards the deli worker stinks.

Have we learned nothing from the last 9 years?

How does my attitude and thread title stink?

My thread title doesn't imply that all deli workers are stupid, it only implies that some are.

If I started a thread in motors called "bad bus drivers" does that mean that all bus drivers are bad? No, it just means that some are.

Looks like you need a lesson in reading comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

thierry14 wrote: »
    In past times you would be told to man up

Men these days 😒

I assume the OP is a woman.

A man couldn't possibly be that fussy.

• Advertisement

Why don't you actually just tell the deli assistant this instead of posting it here? It might be more effective.

I have a vegetarian sister who always asks deli staff to wipe boards and knives and change their gloves before serving her, it's no big deal. It's hardly worth getting worked up over. State clearly what you want them to do, or not do, before they have it done. There's no point complaining about it here afterwards if you don't speak up about it at the deli counter.

Why should I have to though? After I've clearly stated no butter or mayo, should it not occur to the imbeciles not to use a knife with traces of butter or mayo to cut open my roll? :confused:

Again, when I say all my ingredients at the start, meat, salad and stuffing, a bit of cop on will tell you to put in the meat, stuffing on top then put the salad leaves on top.

Putting stuffing on top of all of that is retarded.

Allinall wrote: »
    I assume the OP is a woman.

A man couldn't possibly be that fussy.

I'm male !! I despise butter and mayonaise. If available, I'll get lashings of hot chili sauce though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Why should I have to though? After I've clearly stated no butter or mayo, should it not occur to the imbeciles not to use a knife with traces of butter or mayo to cut open my roll? :confused:

Again, when I say all my ingredients at the start, meat, salad and stuffing, a bit of cop on will tell you to put in the meat, stuffing on top then put the salad leaves on top.

Putting stuffing on top of all of that is retarded.

Because it's clearly not good for your blood pressure.

thierry14 wrote: »
    In past times you would be told to man up

Men these days 😒

So, hand over money and get something you didn't ask for?

As in pay for no butter and get traces of it from a knife?

It's like paying into a sauna or steam room but it turns out the "steam room" is operated by Hitler and poisonous gas comes out instead of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I'm male !! I despise butter and mayonaise. If available, I'll get lashings of hot chili sauce though.

Damn I wish you were a woman, you sound perfect ha ha!!

Can ya get firecracker ketchup back home? Love the stuff....

So, hand over money and get something you didn't ask for?

As in pay for no butter and get traces of it from a knife?

It's like paying into a sauna or steam room but it turns out the "steam room" is operated by Hitler and poisonous gas comes out instead of steam.

Oh my god hyperbole has gone too far :rolleyes: Jesus Christ relax about a trace of butter or mayo. I don't like mayo but I don't have a fit when I get my roll cut with mayo in it... if they put a glob of it on my roll/sandwich we have a different problem.. one which is rectified by making a fresh one.. and the reason they don't wash the knife after it has butter or mayo on it is because they are not cross contaminating anything, it's just a problem for fussy whinges like yourself.

frag420 wrote: »
    Damn I wish you were a woman, you sound perfect ha ha!!

Can ya get firecracker ketchup back home? Love the stuff....

Baby, I can be anything you want me to be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Jesus its just a fecking sandwich. You'd swear you found glass in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

wandering onto boards, seeing this thread and seeing it's 8 pages long. I haven't read it yet. Wondering how a thread about butter on a roll got this far.

(Having said that there's nothing worse than ordering a breakfast roll and seeing them slicing one rasher up rather than using two. That would be 8 pages worthy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Baby, I can be anything you want me to be :)

A leggy brunette with a dislike of butter, mayo and mushrooms!

Let me know when it's done...

Advertisement