Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid deli workers, annoying as fucκ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Speak clearly.

Don't be afraid to correct someone.

Finally, if you find they're consistently bad, then take your business elsewhere.

All the above can be done without letting it wind you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

dfeo wrote: »
    When I ask for a white roll, don't just assume want butter and just put a glob on the knife.

Don't look so shocked at me ask me if "I'm sure" when I tell you I want neither butter nor mayonnaise.

Don't cut my roll open with a butter-laden knife after I clearly stated that I don't want butter, thus leaving butter residue in my roll.

When I ask for meat, salad and stuffing, don't jam in the salad and put the meat on top then drizzle the stuffing on top, thus causing it to fall out.

When you cut my roll in half GO ALL THE WAY BASTARDING THROUGH, don't just cut half way thrugh it leaving me to tare the rest.

I used to work in a deli. When someone came in with an attitude we used the knife we'd all licked to make their food.

Be nice to deli workers. It's a feckin thankless Jon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you want butter?

Do you use butter?

Silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Its better to just go for one of the specials that's all ready made up. I usually just ask for a moreish club or a pulled pork. No messing around. I've never had any issues ordering a roll either though apart from the roll not being cut all the way through which is hardly a big deal. Some people just love to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Deedsie wrote: »
    Does anyone else call it a baguette?

You'd be wrong if you did. A baguette is about a metre long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Saw a deli worker from Tesco the other day walk straight in to the customer toilets wearing her white coat , hat, apron and gloves . Surely that all needs to be removed prior to leaving the deli section. Makes you wonder about the hygiene in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I used to work in a deli. When someone came in with an attitude we used the knife we'd all licked to make their food.

You and your colleagues licking the knife in some kind of secretive revenge may explain why some cant get a more thankful job...

And wanting no butter is not an attitude, you work in a service industry, its just common sense and manners to ask if they want butter on their roll. What if they were lactose intolerant or whatever?

Be nice to your customers as without them you will have no job, thankless or otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Disgusting. No bad attitude justifies such a disgusting behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Jaysus the amount of people who are saying "oh just make it yourself" yeah remember that when you're next in a restaurant and they make a mistake. Sure don't complain - make it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I saw a guy order a chicken fillet sandwich in a deli....

.....with one slice of bread. He didnt want 2 slices.

Deli dude was confused as fcuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I'm just picturing a load of sandwich artists passing around a sharp knife for them all to lick :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Those deli chicken fillets are so ropey, the only way theyre palatable is if you get the spicy kind and have plenty of other fillings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Dude needs a packed lunch

That he does, but you need to go home Yank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I'm delighted to see this thread.Last night I got a roll,the woman behind the counter was so obnoxious.She did this thing of pretending to look busy behind the counter,avoiding eye contact,in the hope that I would fcuk off.Then she finally gave in when she saw I wasn't fcuking off.She was about as joyous as somebody on death row.I've seen deli workers do this on numerous occasions, where they pretend not to see you for a few minutes,it obviously works half the time. +1 on the failure to cut through the whole roll.Another pet peeve of mine is when you go above the standard number of fillings and they tell you "you know that will be extra." As if 50c extra is going to ruin your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Johngoose wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see this thread.Last night I got a roll,the woman behind the counter was so obnoxious.She did this thing of pretending to look busy behind the counter,avoiding eye contact,in the hope that I would fcuk off.Then she finally gave in when she saw I wasn't fcuking off.She was about as joyous as somebody on death row.I've seen deli workers do this on numerous occasions, where they pretend not to see you for a few minutes,it obviously works half the time. +1 on the failure to cut through the whole roll.Another pet pieve of mine is when you go above the standard number of fillings and they tell you "you know that will be extra." As if 50c extra is going to ruin your life.

Oh dear, they don't cut the roll all the way through, WTF do you think they are mind readers that should satisfy all your pet peeves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I actually really appreciate people who work for chains doing unfulfilling menial work, especially when they creatively do as little as possible and clearly don't give a sh!t about their job. They're paid a pittance and treated like crap and they know a young child could do their work for them! Why stress?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

spurious wrote: »
    Do you want butter?

Do you use butter?

Silence.
    why are you asking a rhetorical question of a busy minimum wage deli- worker?, because you think youre hilarious ? ,the silence is not a confused silence just the guy behind the counter restraining himself from telling you to fcuk off or worse , which you would deserve in this situation of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

I'm delighted to see this thread.Last night I got a roll,the woman behind the counter was so obnoxious.She did this thing of pretending to look busy behind the counter,avoiding eye contact,in the hope that I would fcuk off.Then she finally gave in when she saw I wasn't fcuking off.She was about as joyous as somebody on death row.I've seen deli workers do this on numerous occasions, where they pretend not to see you for a few minutes,it obviously works half the time. +1 on the failure to cut through the whole roll.Another pet pieve of mine is when you go above the standard number of fillings and they tell you "you know that will be extra." As if 50c extra is going to ruin your life.

Firstly not cutting the entire way through is to keep it all together till you eat it. Just ****ing pull. And they ask if you're okay to pay extra because there's people just like you who'll come and moan at how dare they the price was 3.99 no one told me fillings were extra

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I used to work in a deli and I'd make a lovely roll, have to say.
    I'd cut it lengthways perfectly, delicately spread on the butter (well, Flora) and neatly arrange your fillings so it would be tidy when you opened the paper.

I used to be generous with the fillings too and generally make the roll as if I was going to be eating it.

Until one day the manager told me not to be too generous with the fillings, in particular the tuna/mayo mix.
    He watched me make a roll and told me to remove half of it. It looked pitiful.

Also one day, the freshly sliced ham dropped on the floor and I was going to bin it until he spotted me and said "What are you doing?"
    "It fell on the floor, I'm throwing it away."
    "You'll do no such thing. Put it back out there."

Also, the fillings you see all laid out in bowls; lettuce, tomatoes, coleslaw, etc, is all covered in cling film and left there overnight.
    The next morning we were instructed to stir the coleslaws and sauces and anything else that developed a "skin" on top, such as the egg mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

What I really hate is when they take a dump on my sandwich and then try and tell me it's Nutella. Even when I tell them I saw them sitting on the bread they deny it. It's unbelievable how often this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Haithabu wrote: »
    Disgusting. No bad attitude justifies such a disgusting behaviour.

Learn to take a joke lads.

As IF I worked in a deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

From my reading of this you are the obnoxious one, a typical customer who has probably never worked in a minimum wage services job. I can see why she wanted you to f*** off when she saw you. I always tell customers if there is an extra charge on something because some of them become very angry, very quickly if you over charge them by even 10c. It's arrogance of an extreme kind when you have the attitude of "stop annoying me about the extra 50 cent, I don't want to hear about it". It sickens me because the girl is just trying to prevent an argument later on concerning the price of the roll which I'm sure you'd also love to complain about if you were accidentally overcharged.
    If numerous deli workers have done this avoiding thing to you then you are probably the problem, not them. Customers are judged by staff and vice versa but no staff member ever wants to serve some prune who flips out over their roll being only almost cut rather than completely cut. They probably take one look at you and think "don't fancy dealing with your man today, looks like a torture". And the issue of her not filling you with joy? That's not her job sorry. If you want to be filled with joy, I suggest you make your own roll.

I bet you didn't even say thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

From my reading of this you are the obnoxious one, a typical customer who has probably never worked in a minimum wage services job. I can see why she wanted you to f*** off when she saw you. I always tell customers if there is an extra charge on something because some of them become very angry, very quickly if you over charge them by even 10c. It's arrogance of an extreme kind when you have the attitude of "stop annoying me about the extra 50 cent, I don't want to hear about it". It sickens me because the girl is just trying to prevent an argument later on concerning the price of the roll which I'm sure you'd also love to complain about if you were accidentally overcharged.
    If numerous deli workers have done this avoiding thing to you then you are probably the problem, not them. Customers are judged by staff and vice versa but no staff member ever wants to serve some prune who flips out over their roll being only almost cut rather than completely cut. They probably take one look at you and think "don't fancy dealing with your man today, looks like a torture". And the issue of her not filling you with joy? That's not her job sorry. If you want to be filled with joy, I suggest you make your own roll.

I bet you didn't even say thank you.

I'm actually very courteous to deli workers and I have never given out to any deli workers,despite bad experiences.I think they don't enjoy the work/ pay, but that isn't the fault of the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Learn to take a joke lads.

As IF I worked in a deli.

Bet you did bukkake on it as well :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can't believe people still eat chicken fillet rolls. They are septic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

dfeo wrote: »
    When I ask for a white roll, don't just assume want butter and just put a glob on the knife.

Don't look so shocked at me ask me if "I'm sure" when I tell you I want neither butter nor mayonnaise.

Don't cut my roll open with a butter-laden knife after I clearly stated that I don't want butter, thus leaving butter residue in my roll.

When I ask for meat, salad and stuffing, don't jam in the salad and put the meat on top then drizzle the stuffing on top, thus causing it to fall out.

When you cut my roll in half GO ALL THE WAY BASTARDING THROUGH, don't just cut half way thrugh it leaving me to tare the rest.

Imagine how stupid and annoying those deli workers must find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I have never understood the way Irish folk order filled rolls or sandwiches.

Customer - Can I have a roll please?
    Staff - White or brown?
    Customer - White
    Staff - Butter or Mayo?
    Customer - Mayo
    Staff - And what do you want on it?
    Customer - Ham
    Staff - Anything else?
    Customer - Cheese
    Staff - Anything else?
    Customer - Onion
    Staff - White or red?
    Etc, etc. Takes Fecking ages and hold everyone up.

Me, Can I get a ham, cheese and onion roll please.. No fannying about, just tell them what I want.

But do you want a white or brown roll? With butter or Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

rgace wrote: »
    Imagine how stupid and annoying those deli workers must find you.

The lad spends a fiver on reconstituted cheap muck that you would not feed to farm animals and yet thinks he's the smart one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't get this attitude of oh its a menial job and doesn't pay well so how can anyone expect me to do my job right? Well, maybe with better attitude you'd have a better job, no? What do you want to get paid to make sandwiches? 50 grand a year? I bet they still couldn't be arsed making a good sandwich even if they got that.

Advertisement