Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside someone's house for days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its no less than 5 meters from a corner and direction of travel is not a thing in Ireland, only heard of it in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ScumLord wrote: »
    Well if the person living on the road has no entitlement to park on their own street then people that live elsewhere should definitely have no entitlement to park on that street.

The people that live on the street have a legitimate use for the parking. They live in a house there, they are having guests around, they are having work done. All better reasons than "I'm too cheap to pay for my parking".

You are just making up strawman arguments.

Everybody has the right to park on public parking spots. Having a house close by is not a reason to have more right to the same parking spot, which has been explained to you on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What if she doesn't have a driveway?

As I pointed out earlier, the house my folks live in doesn't even have a front garden, let alone a driveway.

At what point do they become cocks if they've headed off on hols? a weekend? a bank holiday weekend? a fortnight?

If you don't have a driveway, obviously you have  no choice but to leave your car on the road when going on holidays.
    There's always a choice, even a range of choices - like
    1) Buy a house with a driveway
    2) Sell the car and use public transport, bikes, taxis and occasional rental cars.

Buying a car is a choice, and I'm not quite sure why many folks expect public space to be dedicated to support those choices, particularly given that 'road tax' comes nowhere near covering the costs of our road infrastructure, let alone the costs of the carbon emissions coming out the exhaust pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

frag420 wrote: »
    If I walked beside you saying "La la la la la la" continuously while also putting my finger in front of your face saying "I'm not touching you"...you would not be annoyed as it's not illegal to do so!?

You would not consider me an inconsiderate prick for doing it as it's not illegal!?

Understand now??

It wouldn't be legal though. We have harassment laws. Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It wouldn't be legal though. We have harassment laws. Try again.

If you harass someone verbally then it can also be assault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Just because you're 'entitled' to do something, doesn't necessarily mean it's not inconsiderate or annoying to other people.

But that can go both ways , in fact a lot of these arguments go both ways.
    The residents and people here complain about people parking up outside their houses for short and long term because its inconsiderate and annoying to them . Other people should be given the chance to use the spaces . Thats fair enough
    But sure isnt that what the residents are doing themselves parking up for short or long term themselves , not letting others use the spaces.
    All because they believe they have an entitlement to the space.
    'Tis my field' is the quote im thinking of. The ops mother is doing exactly that . Its would be ok for them to park across the road but not in front of her house . 'not in my back yard ' syndrome.
    Another stupid thing here is the ops mother doesnt have a car . The car in front of the house is probably insured and taxed and therefore is legally entitled to use the spot whereas the ops mother has no legal entitlement to it.

What if it turned out that the people who left the car lived around the corner but were unable to park in front of their house. They might just be back from a holiday themselves which might explain the bags

The way i see it is if the car is parked safely , not blocking anyone , taxed , insured i have no issue with it.
    Let the house owners walk an extra few meters from their car to their front door. An aweful lot of people are as lazy as be damned. Look at parking in front of supermarkets . There always seems to be 4 or 5 cars parked on tescos front doors step here cause people seem unwilling to park 30 meters away in a proper safe spot and walk back. And most of these people have no reason to do so ie not elderly, disabled , parent n child etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

ScumLord wrote: »
    Well if the person living on the road has no entitlement to park on their own street then people that live elsewhere should definitely have no entitlement to park on that street.

The people that live on the street have a legitimate use for the parking. They live in a house there, they are having guests around, they are having work done. All better reasons than "I'm too cheap to pay for my parking".

If people want entitlement to keep a public area for their car the area covered should be included in their property tax.

But I guess ye wouldn't agree to that because it's not your property?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Most people with parking spaces outside their houses probably occupy them for at least 180 days per year, a week or two is nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Get a few lads to flip the car over..... then let nature take its course! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Report it to the Gardai say you spoke to your neighbors none of them own it and you fear it may have been dumped there are a crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    If people want entitlement to keep a public area for their car the area covered should be included in their property tax.

But I guess ye wouldn't agree to that because it's not your property?
    What about people that want entitlement to park in the same space while they jet off out of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Thats why some streets have parking meters ,
    residents get a parking permit ,random people parking have to buy a ticket or get towed away.
    its a bit like scrooge giving out about someone who parks there over xmas .Any one who pays tax and insurance has a right to park
    on a public road as long as they are not blocking the house entrance.
    Yes its a bit rude ,like someone who skips queues ,but i,d prefer to live in
    a free society than have every small thing be monitored 24/7
    In places in the usa homeowners are fined if they paint the house a certain
    color or don,t cut the grass regularly .
    the gardai have to deal with serious crime
    its not fair to waste their time on a car parking issue.
    You could ask a friend to park there for a few days before xmas day
    to stop people parking there for a week.
    In Most urban area,s its hard to find a free parking space
    without buying a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Infini2 wrote: »
    Get a few lads to flip the car over..... then let nature take its course! :D

I don't know how this is done but it is possible.

I saw a car on its roof on the Boulevard Anspach in Brussels some years ago.It was an early BMW 5 series, seemingly in good nick, perfectly centered in the parking space, no glass broken,no damage to the sides, just minding it's own business except that it was upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF Random people are parking outside your house,
    messing with one car will make no difference to the next driver to park there ,its a public road.
    you can ask the council to put in a parking meter ,
    But that mean your friends may have to pay to park there
    ,is that a good solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

It would be a handy way to get new tyres. Simply wait for a vehicle to park with the appropriate size of tyre, and you have a fortnight or so to change them over.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This thread is mental. Someone legally parks in a parking space, someone else is annoyed by this, even though it has no impact on them, and then a bunch of people advise the OP to carry out a tonne of illegal acts to deal with the 'problem'....

Report it to the Gardai say you spoke to your neighbors none of them own it and you fear it may have been dumped there are a crime.

Once it's taxed, NCTd if applicable, insured and legally parked once it's not reported stolen AGS will do nothing. Rightly so too.

This thread is mental. Someone legally parks in a parking space, someone else is annoyed by this, even though it has no impact on them, and then a bunch of people advise the OP to carry out a tonne of illegal acts to deal with the 'problem'....
    Don't you get it? Someone too mean to pay for the airport carpark decides to park on a public road for a few weeks. There's a big differnce to parking for a few hours to do shopping and parking for a few weeks ;)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Don't you get it? Someone too mean to pay for the airport carpark decides to park on a public road for a few weeks. There's a big differnce to parking for a few hours to do shopping and parking for a few weeks ;)

So what if it's there for a week or two?? I don't get the drama.

There's not really a difference. There's nothing at all wrong with parking on a public road once all legal requirements are satisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And illegal acts that they wouldn't have the guts to do in real life.

So what if it's there for a week or two?? I don't get the drama.
    There's no drama, just pure stingy b@stards.

Augeo wrote: »
    There's not really a difference. There's nothing at all wrong with parking on a public road once all legal requirements are satisfied.
    So, explain the legal requirements?

So, explain the legal requikrments?

No yellow lines. Central white lines not continuous, correct distance from kerb, junction etc. No posted parking conditions or regulations. Basic rules of the road stuff.

no legal impediments is more the point

thread just another case of moan moan fcuking moan

There's no drama, just pure stingy b@stards.

But they'll have paid their motor tax, otherwise the car can be towed.

No yellow lines. Central white lines not continuous, correct distance from kerb, junction etc. No posted parking conditions or regulations. Basic rules of the road stuff.
    no legal impediments is more the point

thread just another case of moan moan fcuking moan

So, are you saying they can park a car there for an unlimited amount of time no matter what the situation?

So, are you saying they can park a car there for an unlimited amount of time no matter what the situation?

If it's legally parked then it's legally parked.

It's an actual place where you can park, not obstructing an entrance. Vehicle taxed, insured & NCTd if required.

Simple really, surprised you needed that explained.

• Advertisement

You are introducing an infinite number of possible variables now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement