Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside someone's house for days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

"Assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups" - Under Siege 2.

They very well could be and as soon as the car tax they've paid for allowing them to use any public road has expired you are perfectly entitled to have the car towed. They've probably just gone Lanzarote for two weeks though, so it probably won't come to that.

Wish it would. Car towed away might teach this inconsiderate individual in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Wish it would. Car towed away might teach this inconsiderate individual in future.

If he isn't taxed call your local authority and they should have it towed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I do. I copied and pasted it directly from your previous comment. Do you not read what you type?? I even quoted you in my reply.

You mentioned smartarse comments and then littered your response full of them. Would you like the last word between us? I don't really care in all honesty. If we are years apart in age, I'll eat the grub and finish my beer. If we are of a similar age, I'd feel embarrased for you because there was a time when commonsense did actually matter in relation to the OP.

40s!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Turn their car into the best Christmas present ever, a Slutmobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZfst2CVpSs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

If nothing else, a few dozen quid for airport parking is more than worth the worry of not leaving your car parked on the side of the road for days, or weeks, at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Books4you

Pinch Flat wrote:
    People seem to have this weird idea that they own the road space outside their own property.

I parked last week on a main road in front of a few houses. No parking restrictions. Was gone 15 mins and came back to a note on my windscreen saying " Please show some respect for the elderly". Like Wtf??

You do not own the space. I could see him watching out the window. Sad life if that's what he's worried about all day. I wonder how many notes he does everyday. I really wanted to throw the note out the window while he was watching but I hate littering! Ah well.

I do think it is cheeky though to pull up outside someone's house and head off on hols for a week. Not illegal, just cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Curious to know how someone would go mad at you for that

I was away for a few days over Christmas so when I got back on the 28th I couldn't get into the driveway and the street was full of cars. I asked around the neighbours if it was one of their family members but they all had told me it was there from the day I left.

One of the neighbours works for the council and put me in touch with someone who worked in DSPS who arranged for it to be towed.

When he arrived back in January, he knocked on my door asking me "where's my f***in' car?" and telling me he had to get back to Mullingar. I told him it was on the path, obstructing my driveway and that it was towed. He started telling me I was unreasonable and didn't need to do that, with more swearing of course. I told him it wasn't my problem, the directions to the nearest Garda station and closed the door.

I don't know how he thought getting angry at me for it was reasonable but parking how he did would suggest he's a self involved tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Public road without any parking restrictions? Nothing you can do.

People seem to have this weird idea that they own the road space outside their own property.

There's a bit of a difference though, they abandon the car for days while they go on foreign holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Jack it up on blocks and remove the wheels then hide the wheels or sell on done deal. When they come back scratching their heads looking at their car tell them it's a rough spot :)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    There's a bit of a difference though, they abandon the car for days while they go on foreign holidays.

It's not abandoned, using emotive language is ridiculous. It's parked up.

It's all to do with the house owner assuming that part of the public road is theirs. As the OP stated, there's a parking spot beside a wall across the road that they'd have no problem with someone parking in. It's the assumption of ownership of this patch outside the house, that the homeowner has zero claim over that's the issue. Nothing else.

• Advertisement

It's not abandoned, using emotive language is ridiculous. It's parked up.

It's all to do with the house owner assuming that part of the public road is theirs. As the OP stated, there's a parking spot beside a wall across the road that they'd have no problem with someone parking in. It's the assumption of ownership of this patch outside the house, that the homeowner has zero claim over that's the issue. Nothing else.

The OP acknowledged it's a shared space - no presumption of ownership going on there. However the crowd heading away on hols have claimed presumptive ownership of the space by leaving a car there for an undetermined length of time. Road space is shared, not just for the cheapskates who decide it's their entitlement to dump their car in a residential area for a week or two or longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

The OP acknowledged it's a shared space - no presumption of ownership going on there. However the crowd heading away on hols have claimed presumptive ownership of the space by leaving a car there for an undetermined length of time. Road space is shared, not just for the cheapskates who decide it's their entitlement to dump their car in a residential area for a week or two or longer.

Do you think it would, or wouldn't be acceptable for the OP's mum to leave her car parked there for 2 weeks if she was going on holidays?

"There's a blank wall almost opposite her house, and I can't understand why people don't park there first." - From the OP.

So they'd be fine if the car was parked there. The house is the issue with them parking where they have parked, nothing more. Take the house out of it, as with the space opposite, and things are grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'd like to say I'm stunned by the attitude of a few here regarding the OP. But I'm not. Parking a car in a residential area where you don't live for an extended period of time, is quite frankly arsehole behaviour, devoid of any consideration and driven by utter ignorance. Many things can happen to the car like a break in and resulting car alarm, which affects residents and leaves a kind of responsibility with them. An inconvenience too.

Totally. Also, if I was a car owner I'd be concerned at leaving my car unattended for such a long amount of time. Paying the airport car park fee would be well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Do you think it would, or wouldn't be acceptable for the OP's mum to leave her car parked there for 2 weeks if she was going on holidays?

She'd be bit of a cock for doing that but considering she lives in the estate, I'd class her as less of a cock than the stranger who rocks into an estate and dumps their car there. Most people would leave their car in the drive though to make the house look occupied rather than leave it on the road if they are leaving their car at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

She'd be bit of a cock for doing that but considering she lives in the estate, I'd class her as less of a cock than the stranger who rocks into an estate and dumps their car there. Most people would leave their car in the drive though to make the house look occupied rather than leave it on the road if they are leaving their car at home.

What if she doesn't have a driveway?

As I pointed out earlier, the house my folks live in doesn't even have a front garden, let alone a driveway.

At what point do they become cocks if they've headed off on hols? a weekend? a bank holiday weekend? a fortnight?

What if she doesn't have a driveway?

As I pointed out earlier, the house my folks live in doesn't even have a front garden, let alone a driveway.

At what point do they become cocks if they've headed off on hols? a weekend? a bank holiday weekend? a fortnight?

If they live there and the house has no drive, they're not being cocks if they leave their car parked outside their house when they go on holidays imo.

If they live there and the house has no drive, they're not being cocks if they leave their car parked outside their house when they go on holidays imo.

What if they dont live there??

What if they dont live there??

If you don't live in an estate with limited parking space and you leave your car there blocking access to parking that people on the estate need then you're being a dick. People living on the estate get a free pass in terms of leaving their car there when they are on holidays.

Honestly, this is starting to get a tad tedious arguing over the minutiae of hypothetical situations…

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

when i was in Spain someone blocked the neighbours space to go to the weekly market. Neighbour responded with squirting Ketchup all over the car. It was baking into the car for about 4 hours at 30 degrees. Id say it left some mark when it was washed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

when i was in Spain someone blocked the neighbours space to go to the weekly market. Neighbour responded with squirting Ketchup all over the car. It was baking into the car for about 4 hours at 30 degrees. Id say it left some mark when it was washed off.

What did that achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

What did that achieve?

If it was a regular trader, id say they never parked there again. If it was a tourist, then Id say it achieved absolutely nothing. I dont condone vandalism at all, just thought it was a peculiar way of dealing with someone blocking their exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If it was a regular trader, id say they never parked there again. If it was a tourist, then Id say it achieved absolutely nothing. I dont condone vandalism at all, just thought it was a peculiar way of dealing with someone blocking their exit.

Certainly innovative. But if the owner didn't know what caused the damage then damaging the car was pointless other than getting revenge - which makes them as bad as the driver.

If it happened to me, knowing myself as I do, I'd make sure I was around when the driver came back and I'd lose the plot with him/her. If it was a female, I'd feel guilty for having lost the plot. If it was male, I'd probably get the crap kicked out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What did that achieve?

Warped satisfaction no doubt. Duh.

Pettiness and spite maketh the world go round. Its why there are nukes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

My mother lives beside a bus route that goes directly to the airport. Last Christmas someone parked their car outside her house the day before Christmas Eve and didn't come back for it until New Year's Day.

This morning a couple parked outside her gate, took suitcases out of the boot and went across to the bus stop. She reckons they've probably gone away for Christmas and the car will be left there.

I know it's a public road, and they're entitled to do it. But she finds it annoying when the space outside her house is taken over for days on end, particularly at a time of year when she'll have a lot of visitors. I can see her point of view, and just wonder if other people would do this?

There's a blank wall almost opposite her house, and I can't understand why people don't park there first. My mother reckons they feel their car is safer if it's in full view of a house.

What they've done they're perfectly entitled to do. Your mother doesn't own the road outside her house and others are free to park there as long as they are not causing an obstruction.

It's funny people here see it as selfish, parking outside someone's house on a public road yet have no problem with local residents doing the same. I bet her/her neighbours park on that road every day.

If it's a big inconvenience, get the council to introduce disc parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

railer201 wrote: »
    Motorists pay motor tax for the express purpose of being able to put their car somewhere on a road whether moving, or stopped outside someone's house. Tough if they're parked legally and people don't like it. Between VRT, excise on petrol and motor tax they're entitled to their parking spots.

It doesn't give anyone any entitlement to be an ignorant d!ck. Dumping your car outside a randomer's house for days/weeks on end (because you are cheap) is being an ignorant d1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

givyjoe wrote: »
    It doesn't give anyone any entitlement to be an ignorant d!ck. Dumping your car outside a randomer's house for days/weeks on end (because you are cheap) is being an ignorant d1ck.

I was referring to people* who just don't like cars parking outside their house, in what they deem to be their* spot. A solution would be to legislate a maximum parking period, after which the car may be towed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I was referring to people* who just don't like cars parking outside their house, in what they deem to be their* spot. A solution would be to legislate a maximum parking period, after which the car may be towed away.

Homeowners who park up for days/weeks outside their own home wouldn't be happy either.

Would you be happy with an unknown car parked outside your house for an indefinite period of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Homeowners who park up for days/weeks outside their own home wouldn't be happy either.

They're not inconveniencing anyone though, whereas Jack the Lad who breezes into an area, so he can for example, avoid airport parking charges, is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement