Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside someone's house for days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Would you be happy with an unknown car parked outside your house for an indefinite period of time?

It wouldn't bother me tbh unless my driveway was obstructed. There nearly always is a car parked outside my house due to rental properties nearby and pressure on road parking spaces. After a month I might report it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Would you be happy with an unknown car parked outside your house for an indefinite period of time?

Why would someone else's inanimate object make someone happy??

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest that a car was parked outside my house, once it wasn't blocking me or my neighbours in. After a day or two I'd probably have a quick scout of it to make sure the car wasn't stolen, the ignition etc wasn't ripped out, but if I'd seen people take luggage out and head for the bus I'd be fine with it.

Why would it stress anyone?? It's a parked car.

railer201 wrote: »
    They're not inconveniencing anyone though, whereas Jack the Lad who breezes into an area, so he can for example, avoid airport parking charges, is.

Abandoned, dumped, inconvenienced. How is a car parked in a legitimate parking spot an "inconvenience"??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭eigrod

Why would it stress anyone?? It's a parked car.

Because nobody else can use it for the entire (unknown) duration that the owner is away ?

I would see it as selfish & inconsiderate (not illegal) and would definitely consider some of the selfish & inconsiderate (not illegal) suggestions in this thread by way of response.

eigrod wrote: »
    Because nobody else can use it for the entire (unknown) duration that the owner is away ?

I would see it as selfish & inconsiderate (not illegal) and would definitely consider some of the selfish & inconsiderate (not illegal) suggestions in this thread by way of response.

It's selfish and inconsiderate using a car parking space to park a car??? Some twisted logic in here

• Advertisement

It's selfish and inconsiderate using a car parking space to park a car??? Some twisted logic in here

Er, you conveniently omitted the bit where I said for an unknown length of time and the OP is assuming it will be the same length of time as last year. And yes, that is selfish & inconsiderate, imo. If the car was removed the next day, then no problem. But a week, or 10 days = selfish & inconsiderate. They obviously wouldn't do it if they had to pay for it, so therefore selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Er, you conveniently omitted the bit where I said for an unknown length of time and the OP is assuming it will be the same length of time as last year. And yes, that is selfish & inconsiderate, imo. If the car was removed the next day, then no problem. But a week, or 10 days = selfish & inconsiderate. They obviously wouldn't do it if they had to pay for it, so therefore selfish.

It's selfish and inconsiderate to lay claim to public property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

A simple analogy would be if you spotted some old dear sitting on a park bench (in which she sits most days) and she gets up to put something in the litter bin prompting you to hop into that exact vacated seat before she gets back. Even though finding another seat requires a little bit more effort. And if you want to extend the metaphor, leaving your coat and bag on the seat for the rest of the day when you go shopping. :D

Sure she's not entitled to the seat and it's hardly on a par with mass murder; it's perfectly legal and your taxes pay for the seat but it's just another of those micro instances of life that combine to make the world a sh1tier place.

Abandoned, dumped, inconvenienced. How is a car parked in a legitimate parking spot an "inconvenience"??

To me it's not but to a lot of people it apparently is, judging by the posts here.

It's selfish and inconsiderate to lay claim to public property.

So, if I park my car outside my neighbour's house all day, every day just to keep the space outside my own house free - you wouldn't see that as selfish & inconsiderate either, because I'm laying claim to public property ?

• Advertisement

So, if I park my car outside my neighbour's house all day, every day just to keep the space outside my own house free - you wouldn't see that as selfish & inconsiderate either, because I'm laying claim to public property ?

It's not selfish if others can park on the public road outside your house without hindrance.

It's strange behavior, but not selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

But wouldn't your neighbour do the same to you then?

It's not selfish if others can park on the public road outside your house without hindrance.

It's strange behavior, but not selfish.

It is absolutely selfish because they are only thinking of their own convenience and not anybody else's inconvenience.

As the OP stated, there is a neutral area very close where they could've parked. The owner of the property has no idea how long the space outside her home is going to be unavailable to her. Unselfishness is about thinking of others.

It is absolutely selfish because they are only thinking of their own convenience and not anybody else's inconvenience.

As the OP stated, there is a neutral area very close where they could've parked. The owner of the property has no idea how long the space outside her home is going to be unavailable to her. Unselfishness is about thinking of others.

That's true of anyone parking in any spot. A home owner parking outside their house doesn't think "maybe I shouldn't park here because someone else might need the spot more".

The owner of the property in front doesn't own the road. The fact that a legally parked car is inconvenient for her doesn't make it selfish or illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Where I live there is chaos among the locals over spaces. I often have to park 200 yards away as 99% of the time the spaces out side my house will be taken, as will the spaces outside around 100 or so local houses. Reason begin, I'm beside a Lidl, many Apartment complexes, the Luas and a road with seven major bus routes and so these spots get snapped asap. Some people come here at 5am to park so they can then get a Luas or a bus into town (three minutes away).

I have had my window wipers snapped off for parking on one of the roads around here when I couldn't get parking outside my own place. Received an apology on the grape vine over it as I had just switched cars and so it was presumed I was living in one of the local apartments. Vans have had their windows kicked in on the same road. Have seen many rows over parking spots. You will often see someone immediately open a door when someone parks here and they'll be asked where they are from. Wouldn't mind but Lidl has a car park and presumably the apartments are all allocated spots in their underground car parks, of which they all have.

As for disc parking, very few roads have been made such in recent times apparently and we've had many petitions handed in since the apartments were built and Lidl opened. Some people have signs in their window saying residents only and others even resort to putting traffic cones outside their window, but they're usually moved.

Tbh I think it's a council issue. If you're living somewhere that is going to mean you are regularly competing with other local apartment owners or customers from local shops, just to park outside your own home, then the council needs to protect those spots for people and make it disc parking. That's why all the estates surrounding Dundrum Shopping Centre were made disc parking shortly after it opened and also why you don't see too many free parking spots in city centre.

People are only human at the end of the day and if parking spots exist a short ride from where they'll be fleeced if they parked there, then naturally they will take advantage. I do it myself on to or three roads in town that have no parking metres. Damn spots are hard to get though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Don't think anyone has mentioned that they are Entitled to park there, road tax and all that

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

uch wrote: »
    Don't think anyone has mentioned that they are Entitled to park there, road tax and all that

Someone mentioned that already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Cienciano wrote: »
    And we live in the first world, therefore it's a problem.

Indeed. Up there with not being able to find the right colour nail varnish and discovering that the local coffee bar doesn't have the right type of bean for your favourite latte mocha. Park across the road and walk the extra 10 metres home already!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Where is this? Jesus I'd never leave my car parked on a public road I didn't know for an extended period like. Sounds like they're asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's completely different as you know of course. An airport car park is exactly that - somewhere to park your car while you head away for a week or two. A road with housing isn't the place to park up your vehicle while you feck off for a week or two. It's being an entitled selfish arsehole.

But anyone with motor insurance IS entitled to do it. That's actually one of the perks you get with motor tax. What an arsehole parking legally within the rules of the road.
    It raises an interesting question though, about why we dedicate so much public space to storage of private property (cars). If I decide that I need space to store my collection of vintage Star Trek magazines, can I insist on the Council providing some public space to accomodate me? How does this policy discriminate against non-car owners?

• Advertisement

It raises an interesting question though, about why we dedicate so much public space to storage of private property (cars). If I decide that I need space to store my collection of vintage Star Trek magazines, can I insist on the Council providing some public space to accomodate me? How does this policy discriminate against non-car owners?

That's why we pay motor tax so we can put our cars on the road, either in motion or not in motion. It's not free, motorists are paying through the nose for it. Add in VRT, fuel excise duty and VAT to motor tax also, just to get the picture of how motorists more than pay their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    People seem to have this weird idea that they own the road space outside their own property.

I know. What a strange thread.

What are these people thinking? that the street outside is their own personal parking space? Thats just not how it works.

The space OUTSIDE her home has nothing to do with her. Why should it be readily available to her???

Where I live there is chaos among the locals over spaces. I often have to park 200 yards away as 99% of the time the spaces out side my house will be taken, as will the spaces outside around 100 or so local houses. Reason begin, I'm beside a Lidl, many Apartment complexes, the Luas and a road with seven major bus routes and so these spots get snapped asap. Some people come here at 5am to park so they can then get a Luas or a bus into town (three minutes away).

I have had my window wipers snapped off for parking on one of the roads around here when I couldn't get parking outside my own place. Received an apology on the grape vine over it as I had just switched cars and so it was presumed I was living in one of the local apartments. Vans have had their windows kicked in on the same road. Have seen many rows over parking spots. You will often see someone immediately open a door when someone parks here and they'll be asked where they are from. Wouldn't mind but Lidl has a car park and presumably the apartments are all allocated spots in their underground car parks, of which they all have.

As for disc parking, very few roads have been made such in recent times apparently and we've had many petitions handed in since the apartments were built and Lidl opened. Some people have signs in their window saying residents only and others even resort to putting traffic cones outside their window, but they're usually moved.

Tbh I think it's a council issue. If you're living somewhere that is going to mean you are regularly competing with other local apartment owners or customers from local shops, just to park outside your own home, then the council needs to protect those spots for people and make it disc parking. That's why all the estates surrounding Dundrum Shopping Centre were made disc parking shortly after it opened and also why you don't see too many free parking spots in city centre.

People are only human at the end of the day and if parking spots exist a short ride from where they'll be fleeced if they parked there, then naturally they will take advantage. I do it myself on to or three roads in town that have no parking metres. Damn spots are hard to get though.

Sorry, but it's not clear from above. When you bought your house was a parking spot part of the transaction?? As in home and parking spot, my friend lives in a private estate and he got 2 spots with his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Selfish people are selfish.

Imagine parking your car outside someones house - then going on a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Charlie 123

Try living beside a man who has 6 cars none of witch are taxed or insured all bangers and a mini bus he uses for work fair enough all taking up what little space there is in the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

@Op

By any chance does your mother have a disability? Apply for a disabled parking spot outside her house? Either that then buy a gallon of yellow chlorinated rubber paint and do it yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I live on a street with disc parking. Have a residents parking permit that means I can park in the general area but means nothing really. I often end up parking outside of my permit area. Or else sit in the car and wait for someone to leave.

There are never traffic wardens where around where I live. I have lived here for almost 4 years and not once have a seen a traffic warden on the street. So loads of people park their cars on the street and don't bother getting discs. It's about a 10 minute walk from the city centre (Cork!). Often see cars parked for a couple of weeks (probably people on their holidays).

Tradesmen also park their vans on the street and often save spaces using traffic cones...people were moving the cones so now they are using bags of cement to save spaces. Been onto the council about it but they are useless...

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

givyjoe wrote: »
    It doesn't give anyone any entitlement to be an ignorant d!ck. Dumping your car outside a randomer's house for days/weeks on end (because you are cheap) is being an ignorant d1ck.

Nah, it's not :) Being a dick is thinking you are entitled to the road in front of your house. Get over it :)
    railer201 wrote: »
    I was referring to people* who just don't like cars parking outside their house, in what they deem to be their* spot. A solution would be to legislate a maximum parking period, after which the car may be towed away.

But what would the maximum parking period be? 1 week? 6 months? What if somebody just doesn't want to drive?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement