Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside someone's house for days

Options
  • 21-12-2016 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

My mother lives beside a bus route that goes directly to the airport. Last Christmas someone parked their car outside her house the day before Christmas Eve and didn't come back for it until New Year's Day.

This morning a couple parked outside her gate, took suitcases out of the boot and went across to the bus stop. She reckons they've probably gone away for Christmas and the car will be left there.

I know it's a public road, and they're entitled to do it. But she finds it annoying when the space outside her house is taken over for days on end, particularly at a time of year when she'll have a lot of visitors. I can see her point of view, and just wonder if other people would do this?

There's a blank wall almost opposite her house, and I can't understand why people don't park there first. My mother reckons they feel their car is safer if it's in full view of a house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Grab a few lads and pick the ****er up and move it. Problem solved. Or leave a passive aggressive note*.

*You can then photograph yourself doing this in the hope of going viral and can look forward to being posted on TheJuunral.ie, which we all know should be the equivalent of a second Christmas for you and is something every Irishman and Irishwoman aspires to someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As you say, it's a public road so as long as they aren't blocking access then it's fine. It wouldn't really annoy me, nor did it in the past when I experienced the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Be an awful shame if some drunken lout drove his car into it, then drove off at 3am when no one could see anything because they were asleep and he was gone when they came out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Tell the guards there is a strange ticking noise coming from the car. They'll send the bomb squad around. Controlled explosion. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You could put up a no parking sign - its not legally enforceable but it would make people think twice. Just don't get caught putting it up :)

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Grab a few lads and pick the ****er up and move it. Problem solved. Or leave a passive aggressive note*.

*You can then photograph yourself doing this in the hope of going viral and can look forward to being posted on TheJuunral.ie, which we all know should be the equivalent of a second Christmas for you and is something every Irishman and Irishwoman aspires to someday.

Yes, propose an illegal action to counter a perfectly legal one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Tefral

Cars where the number plates happen to fall off say due to bad weather or some other unfortunate event are lifted by the Gardai as they are deemed abandoned, be a shame for that to happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I'm in a similar situation OP in that we have on street parking right outside our home and to be honest it's swings and roundabouts. Some days I'd have a rake of family over parked all over the road and probably annoys other owners and other days I'm on the other end of it and can't park outside my home.

The "legal" solution?

Get a driveway if the property can accommodate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Spray the car a fabulous colour, like magenta with a hint of cherry blossom, and then if asked by the owners say that it was nothing to do with you, they parked the car there of their own accord, didn't notify you how long they were leaving it there or even ask you to keep an eye on it - and then wish them a happy new year, apparently that's the done thing now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Yes, propose an illegal action to counter a perfectly legal one. :rolleyes:

It's only illegal if yer caught! :D
    You had ti have your car in gear as well as handbraked back at the phases, or four lads would pick up the back and roll the feckin thing anywhere on ya, we were ****ers for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Report the car as abandoned to the Gardai and hope they impound it. Let the hilarity ensue when the owners return to find their vehicle gone.....I'm being serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Does your mum have a driveway? Get her to park her car in the relevant spot in future, then rent out the driveway space to holidayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Public road without any parking restrictions? Nothing you can do.

People seem to have this weird idea that they own the road space outside their own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Unless it's the same people every year, damaging the car/having it removed will do nothing to stop it happening again.

To my previous post, get a driveway if it bothers you, otherwise suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Do you live near the sea? You should roll the car into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Public road without any parking restrictions? Nothing you can do.

People seem to have this weird idea that they own the road space outside their own property.

I know. Clearly the space belongs to some lad off to Spain for two weeks who's too mean to pay for parking at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Your neighbourhood could petition the council to make it a disk parking area. About all you can do. Nothing wrong with what they're doing. Annoying but that's it.

In relation to the abandonment idea, if the car is taxed and insured, the Gardai will not touch it.

Also say the Gardai do lift it, are they going to come out every time the same person reports an "abandoned" car outside their house? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I know. Clearly the space belongs to some lad off to Spain for two weeks who's too mean to pay for parking at the airport.

The space belongs to every citizen but the driver got there first. I would suggest that the house owner apply to the council to see if they will sell the space to her. Other than that, move on with your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Are airport parking charges gone up? If you can afford a holiday then you can afford parking.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Your neighbourhood could petition the council to make it a disk parking area. About all you can do. Nothing wrong with what they're doing. Annoying but that's it.

I saw that done some years ago. The residents soon regretted it as it impacted on all their visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Put a post it note on it saying "I bet you can't rob me". Thieves love a challange.

I'd probably do the same.

Remember that the next time you park on a public road near a train station or Luas or anywhere you don't live ... under your rules you should not park there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭SteM

No, but he's allowed to use it. That's why it's called a public space. He's not building on it so I assume he doesn’t think it 'belongs' to him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I saw that done some years ago. The residents soon regretted it as it impacted on all their visitors.
    Yup it's generally disastrous for the residents. Not many other options though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If the tax is out of date then you can contact the Garda to get the ball rolling on removal.
    Other than that, although it's a pain/eyesore/inconvienience (I know I didn't spell that right), you need to just put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Get some fake crime scene yellow tape and string it up around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Still perfectly legal though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Build a moat around it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement