Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside someone's house for days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If he has up to date motor tax he's as entitled to park there as the oul one in the gaff

Everyone is entitled to be an arsehole too which by leaving the car abandoned outside someone's house the driver is demonstrating that in spades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to be an arsehole too which by leaving the car abandoned outside someone's house the driver is demonstrating that in spades.

It's not abandoned. It's parked up on a PUBLIC road. Whether there's houses there or not matters not a jot once it's not resident parking only. How is parking it legally for free any different to parking it legally and paying €50???

It's not abandoned. It's parked up on a PUBLIC road. Whether there's houses there or not matters not a jot once it's not resident parking only. How is parking it legally for free any different to parking it legally and paying €50???

It's completely different as you know of course. An airport car park is exactly that - somewhere to park your car while you head away for a week or two. A road with housing isn't the place to park up your vehicle while you feck off for a week or two. It's being an entitled selfish arsehole.

It's completely different as you know of course. An airport car park is exactly that - somewhere to park your car while you head away for a week or two. A road with housing isn't the place to park up your vehicle while you feck off for a week or two. It's being an entitled selfish arsehole.

But anyone with motor insurance IS entitled to do it. That's actually one of the perks you get with motor tax. What an arsehole parking legally within the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

It's not illegal, just an inconsiderate use of public property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I drive a commercial vehicle and call to up to 8 homes per day. My visits are usually less than a half hour but I park anywhere there is a space. I have no problem moving cones from outside someone's house and parking there. Even if they come out shouting at me. When leaving I am happy to put the cones back in place. If the spot is legal I'll have it. These are short visits though

But anyone with motor insurance IS entitled to do it. That's actually one of the perks you get with motor tax. What an arsehole parking legally within the rules of the road.

Regardless of entitlement leaving your car outside someone's house for an indefinite period of time is crappy carryon. Of course once they're entitled everything is grand.

NiallBoo wrote: »

Boo Hoo. There's a reason some roads have double yellows and some don't. It's a designated public space.

Regardless of entitlement leaving your car outside someone's house for an indefinite period of time is crappy carryon. Of course once they're entitled everything is grand.

The house has nothing to do with the road.

Boo Hoo. There's a reason some roads have double yellows and some don't. It's a designated public space.

Because there isn't enough room for parking...

Public roads are a shared space; it's not sharing when one person hogs it (I'd say the same about anyone who considers the road outside their house to be their parking space).

• Advertisement

Because there isn't enough room for parking...

Public roads are a shared space; it's not sharing when one person hogs it (I'd say the same about anyone who considers the road outside their house to be their parking space).

Hogs it?? Are you 12??

Hogs it?? Are you 12??

Sure, why not.

Is the implication here that if you don't grab every inch you can and screw others over at every available opportunity...that you're in some way naive and childish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

The word 'entitled' embodies everything that's wrong with this country and indeed people in general these days. Sadly it appears to override both 'decency' and 'consideration' in today's society. "Oh f*ck everybody else sure I'm entitled". What an attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'd like to say I'm stunned by the attitude of a few here regarding the OP. But I'm not. Parking a car in a residential area where you don't live for an extended period of time, is quite frankly arsehole behaviour, devoid of any consideration and driven by utter ignorance. Many things can happen to the car like a break in and resulting car alarm, which affects residents and leaves a kind of responsibility with them. An inconvenience too.

Just because you pay tax, road tax and car insurance, doesn't mean you can act like a dick. Just because its "legal" to park outside a random persons house for weeks on end, doesn't mean its right. What happened to commonsense and decency? Oh wait..it went down the fooking river like a lot of stuff once Ireland got rich and self entitled.

Sure, why not.

Is the implication here that if you don't grab every inch you can and screw others over at every available opportunity...that you're in some way naive and childish?

How is using a "free" (you have to pay motor tax to use it) public amenity screwing others??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why is everybody using "abandoned", when talking about a parked car. The intention is to come back to the car, therefore not abandoned.

That doesn't make any sense at all. What time frame is considered a considerate use of public property exactly?
    ScumLord wrote: »
    At the moment all that can be done is hope that Karma strikes. There should be a law that a car abandoned somewhere can be towed, Ijust don't know how you'd distinguish which cars should be allowed.

Karma, like, that somebody parks in front of their house? Oh how terrible that would be :rolleyes:
    A lot of this is down to planners, regulators and builders putting as little thought as possible into building estates, roads and comercial areas. There should be parking included in every development including additional parking for day to day (visitors, workers) and then it should be borderline impossible for someone to just pull up at the side of the road.

Like in all reality no car should be allowed to park on a street inside the city of Cork, the roads just can't handle it.

Another idea would be to move away from our auto centric way of thinking and invest more in a proper public transport system and more cycle/walk ways, but that's a different topic altogether.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Exactly what I called it, abandoning your car. It's just pushing the responsibility onto someone else.

The responsibility of what exactly?
    If that area becomes known by criminals for cars being abandoned for weeks on end it could just make it a popular spot for car thieves. It's causing obstructions for local residents putting kids in danger as they now have something to hide behind when they want to cross the road.

Wow, much drama. A parked car is a danger to kids, seriously? So you are focusing on the parked car instead of the drivers behavior or the kids education... that's very illogical. How is it causing obstruction? Your points are becoming really desperate.
    They deserve whatever happens to their car. They have the option to get a taxi, or get a friend to drop them off, or pay for parking, long term isn't even that bad in Dublin airport. If you're willing to impose yourself on random people for the cheap option then you deserve anything that happens to your car.

Well that's a very extreme attitude to have. That you would be ok with criminal damage, because you don't like people parking legally, really shows your character. People also have the choice to park on public roads, as well as paid parking, taxi or whatever.
    People being inconsiderate about how they park their car just gets under my skin. Putting everyone else out because you're too cheap to pay a tenner, or too lazy to park a two minute walk away. It's such a minor thing to do, why can't they just park properly damnit!

They are parking properly, that's the point to fail to understand? If you drive, you should probably familiarize yourself with the ROTR and abide by them.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'd like to say I'm stunned by the attitude of a few here regarding the OP. But I'm not. Parking a car in a residential area where you don't live for an extended period of time, is quite frankly arsehole behaviour, devoid of any consideration and driven by utter ignorance. Many things can happen to the car like a break in and resulting car alarm, which affects residents and leaves a kind of responsibility with them. An inconvenience too.

Just because you pay tax, road tax and car insurance, doesn't mean you can act like a dick. Just because its "legal" to park outside a random persons house for weeks on end, doesn't mean its right. What happened to commonsense and decency? Oh wait..it went down the fooking river like a lot of stuff once Ireland got rich and self entitled.

A house has nothing to do with the road outside it. It has no claim on the road any more than a piece of the road further up with a wall/woods beside it. If someone blocking your driveway fair enough, call and get them towed.

The "entitlement" comes from the homeowner who believes that the public road is exclusively for their visitors.

A house has nothing to do with the road outside it. It has no claim on the road any more than a piece of the road further up with a wall/woods beside it. If someone blocking your driveway fair enough, call and get them towed.

The "entitlement" comes from the homeowner who believes that the public road is exclusively for their visitors.

I really hope that you and people like you become world leaders just before I die, so I can warn my children.

I really hope that you and people like you become world leaders just before I die, so I can warn my children.

Yeah, my bid for world leader has just been seconded by Trump. I'm running on a "park safely in a public parking spot" ticket. It's controversial but someone had to face down the big issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No, it's in Churchtown. Someone around the corner had a car parked outside their house for several days, when the alarm started going. After listening to it all night they got the car towed away. The owners were highly indignant when they got back. Did they seriously expect the residents to listen to it all day and night until the battery ran out?

With the aircoach gone from the Dundrum Road you've gotta be talking about the 16 but thats Rathfarnham not Churchtown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't think its any more complicated than somebody moaning that some other car owner took 'their' spot on a public road, that they are used to having when they want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Key it from front to back and leave a turd on the bonnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Annoying yes...but unfortunately par for the course for anyone living near useful parking. I live near a sports stadium and have come home to find someone has given up looking for a space on the roadside and just parked in my driveway! Some people really don't think of anyone else even when they should - and in the case of legally parking on a public road, they really don't have to consider anyone else's future parking needs.

Id have them blocked in and hugely inconvenience them along with a discreet sign ready for them (€150 per day or part thereof), that is ar$ehole behaviour.
    circadian wrote: »
    Doesn't happen to be in Beaumont? There's a lot of people leaving cars and hopping on buses around there.

I had someone parked outside my house last Christmas. The car was fully on the pavement with the back end overhanging the driveway. Had it towed.

When the guy got back in January he went ballistic at me.

How do you do that? I presume in that instance call the gardai who arrange it?

Yeah, my bid for world leader has just been seconded by Trump. I'm running on a "park safely in a public parking spot" ticket. It's controversial but someone had to face down the big issues.

I'll warn my children so to watch out for the generation or two before them, that lack compassion, commonsense, love smartarese comments and act like robots.

I'll warn my children so to watch out for the generation or two before them, that lack compassion, commonsense, love smartarese comments and act like robots.

What's smartarese comments?? Are they like Japanese comments?? Where's Smartar?? And sure Jesus, I wish I had the discipline of a robot, wouldn't have this beer belly so.

Don't forget to tell the kids it's grand to park the hover-car anywhere they like, once they have sky tax and there's no double yellow clouds around. Feck the begrudgers below who think that the air parking space is theirs just because it's above their house.

At least we learned from this thread that paying motor tax and car insurance entitles you to act like an arsehole.

Why is everybody using "abandoned", when talking about a parked car. The intention is to come back to the car, therefore not abandoned.

The owners have left it there for an indefinite period of time. They could be emigrating off to the other side of the world. I would assume a car left outside my front door for a number of days to be an abandoned vehicle, and I wouldn't be happy about it.

What's smartarese comments?? Are they like Japanese comments?? Where's Smartar?? And sure Jesus, I wish I had the discipline of a robot, wouldn't have this beer belly so.

Don't forget to tell the kids it's grand to park the hover-car anywhere they like, once they have sky tax and there's no double yellow clouds around. Feck the begrudgers below who think that the air parking space is theirs just because it's above their house.

Do you read what you type??

The owners have left it there for an indefinite period of time. They could be emigrating off to the other side of the world. I would assume a car left outside my front door for a number of days to be an abandoned vehicle, and I wouldn't be happy about it.

"Assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups" - Under Siege 2.

They very well could be and as soon as the car tax they've paid for allowing them to use any public road has expired you are perfectly entitled to have the car towed. They've probably just gone Lanzarote for two weeks though, so it probably won't come to that.

• Advertisement

Do you read what you type??

I do. I copied and pasted it directly from your previous comment. Do you not read what you type?? I even quoted you in my reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement