Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside someone's house for days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Nah, it's not :) Being a dick is thinking you are entitled to the road in front of your house. Get over it :)

But what would the maximum parking period be? 1 week? 6 months? What if somebody just doesn't want to drive?

From a week upwards depending on whether it's pointedly persistent or repetitive, as in claiming a spot as their own, while they fly off on their holidays or whatever. Someone who doesn't want to drive should really consider continuing with car ownership as it would be cheaper to hire a car or use a taxi. Another solution to break a bad habit would be to order a skip, to take over the parking place and 'do a bit of tidying up' over a week or two. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

railer201 wrote: »
    From a week upwards depending on whether it's pointedly persistent or repetitive, as in claiming a spot as their own, while they fly off on their holidays or whatever. Someone who doesn't want to drive should really consider continuing with car ownership as it would be cheaper to hire a car or use a taxi. Another solution to break a bad habit would be to order a skip, to take over the parking place and 'do a bit of tidying up' over a week or two. ;)

What are the legalities of leaving a skip on the side of a public road??

Edit: You need to apply for a permit and it's €27 a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

But anyone with motor insurance IS entitled to do it. That's actually one of the perks you get with motor tax. What an arsehole parking legally within the rules of the road.

Just because you're 'entitled' to do something, doesn't necessarily mean it's not inconsiderate or annoying to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd park a car outside the house during the day to block others trying, but op may not have that option

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd park a car outside the house during the day to block others trying, but op may not have that option

But that's "selfish" and "inconsiderate"

• Advertisement

Just because you're 'entitled' to do something, doesn't necessarily mean it's not inconsiderate or annoying to other people.

I still don't understand how a car parked legally, unobstructively is inconsiderate or annoying. Going from the OP the lady in the house doesn't even have a car, it's never mentioned that she herself can't park there.

She wants it free on the off chance she gets a visitor, THAT in my eyes is selfish and inconsiderate, putting a claim on something you don't own and don't even use, just in case someone comes to visit.

What if she doesn't have a driveway?

As I pointed out earlier, the house my folks live in doesn't even have a front garden, let alone a driveway.

At what point do they become cocks if they've headed off on hols? a weekend? a bank holiday weekend? a fortnight?

If you don't have a driveway, obviously you have no choice but to leave your car on the road when going on holidays. But you're leaving it on a road where the neighbours know you, know who the car belongs to, and can contact you or a family member if the alarm is going off, the car needs to be moved to allow access to the house for some reason etc.

Totally different from a stranger just leaving their car there for a couple of weeks, with no contact details and no notion of when they'll be coming back and moving it - a week, a month, two months??

But that's "selfish" and "inconsiderate"

Maybe but sometimes it works, I'm afraid, sometimes doing the 'right thing' doesn't work. It's very ignorant parking outside somebody's house long-term, when there's designated paid parking for your needs. I've had a similarish experience and that's what I done, problem solved. No guilt

Maybe but sometimes it works, I'm afraid, sometimes doing the 'right thing' doesn't work. It's very ignorant parking outside somebody's house long-term, when there's designated paid parking for your needs. I've had a similarish experience and that's what I done, problem solved. No guilt

You pay road tax to park on the road.

True, but as said, sometimes doing the 'right thing' isn't covered by law but can in fact be morally right. The 'offenders' in this case are morally wrong, but are covered under law. Not all rules and laws are morally correct. 'Offenders' in this case are arseholes, I would not dream of doing this to a home owner, people have enough **** to be dealing with in life. There's designated parking for their needs, just pay the money

• Advertisement

It's all on a first up best dressed basis, clearly the 'flier' has found him/herself a nice parking space in what seems like a quiet area, so he/she can jet off and avoid airport charges. However, that is not his/her space anymore than it is the adjacent house owner's. Unfortunately some people have a fetish for wringing the maximum freebies they can get out any particular situation - however that's life. If it bugged me to such an extent I'd park a car or a skip there just to head the nuisance off. Parking a car up like that to fly off for a week or two is taking the p1ss ok.

True, but as said, sometimes doing the 'right thing' isn't covered by law but can in fact be morally right. The 'offenders' in this case are morally wrong, but are covered under law. Not all rules and laws are morally correct. 'Offenders' in this case are arseholes, I would not dream of doing this to a home owner, people have enough **** to be dealing with in life. There's designated parking for their needs, just pay the money

But in the OP the homeowner doesn't even have a car!!!

It's all on a first up best dressed basis, clearly the 'flier' has found him/herself a nice parking space in what seems like a quiet area, so he/she can jet off and avoid airport charges. However, that is not his/her space anymore than it is the adjacent house owner's. Unfortunately some people have a fetish for wringing the maximum freebies they can get out any particular situation - however that's life. If it bugged me to such an extent I'd park a car or a skip there just to head the nuisance off. Parking a car up like that to fly off for a week or two is taking the p1ss ok.

So pay €27 a day to make a point?? Also where can I get one of those crystal balls that tell you when someone is gonna park up in front of your house?? Do they tell you anything else??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

No one pays road tax since around 1937.

I don't see what the problem is except for a sense of entitlement from the home owner.

No one pays road tax since around 1937.

I don't see what the problem is except for a sense of entitlement from the home owner.

Sorry, meant motor tax.

So pay €27 a day to make a point?? Also where can I get one of those crystal balls that tell you when someone is gonna park up in front of your house?? Do they tell you anything else??

It would cost me nothing, I'd park my car on the road - problem solved. Cars park continuously outside my house, but they're tenants of an adjacent rented property so it doesn't bother me. In fact there's a lot more important things in my life to be getting on with.

It would cost me nothing, I'd park my car on the road - problem solved. Cars park continuously outside my house, but they're tenants of an adjacent rented property so it doesn't bother me. In fact there's a lot more important things in my life to be getting on with.

You said a car or a skip, the adjacent property or your house has no claim on the public road. We are getting to the crux of it now, it's people's sense of entitlement that's at the bottom of this. It's outside my house so it's mine. Even though you have no claim on it, quite pathetic and childish in all honesty.

You said a car or a skip, the adjacent property or your house has no claim on the public road. We are getting to the crux of it now, it's people's sense of entitlement that's at the bottom of this. It's outside my house so it's mine. Even though you have no claim on it, quite pathetic and childish in all honesty.

Oh dear - toys out of the pram ! - you're simply not listening, so we'll leave it there, bar the usual 'know it all boardsie riposte' which will follow now, as sure as night follows day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I would love a spare car that I could use to tip off inconsiderately parked cars. Just to give em an old scratch or broken taillight.

It would be illegal of course, but very satisfying.

My Dad was giving me a lift somewhere a while ago and when we got to the car some selfish tool had parked so close to the driver's door it couldn't be opened (to give themselves 2 foot to get out on their own side). My Dad is no longer agile enough to be climbing in from the passenger side. If I hadn't been there he would have been waiting hours for the tosser to come back. People are shocking at times.

I would love a spare car that I could use to tip off inconsiderately parked cars. Just to give em an old scratch or broken taillight.

My Dad was giving me a lift somewhere a while ago and when we got to the car some selfish tool had parked so close to the driver's door it couldn't be opened (to give themselves 2 foot to get out on their own side). My Dad is no longer agile enough to be climbing in from the passenger side. If I hadn't been there he would have been waiting hours for the tosser to come back. People are shocking at times.

noam chomskys use of the term 'atomisation', is just perfect!

• Advertisement

There's a difference between what you have described above and parking legally, without blocking anyone in or causing any obstruction to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Blatant abandonmentness of cars, ye can't be doing that lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well if the person living on the road has no entitlement to park on their own street then people that live elsewhere should definitely have no entitlement to park on that street.

The people that live on the street have a legitimate use for the parking. They live in a house there, they are having guests around, they are having work done. All better reasons than "I'm too cheap to pay for my parking".

ScumLord wrote: »
    Well if the person living on the road has no entitlement to park on their own street then people that live elsewhere should definitely have no entitlement to park on that street.

The people that live on the street have a legitimate use for the parking. They live in a house there, they are having guests around, they are having work done. All better reasons than "I'm too cheap to pay for my parking".

Everyone that pays motor tax has the same entitlement. If you want a reserved parking spot contact your local authority and see if you can buy it. Or are you "too cheap to pay for your parking"??

The only "legitimate" use for a parking spot is parking in it. Doesn't matter if you live 2 foot, 2 miles or 200 miles from it. If you've motor tax you can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Everyone that pays motor tax has the same entitlement. If you want a reserved parking spot contact your local authority and see if you can buy it. Or are you "too cheap to pay for your parking"??

The only "legitimate" use for a parking spot is parking in it. Doesn't matter if you live 2 foot, 2 miles or 200 miles from it. If you've motor tax you can use it.

Motor tax is there to off-set the cost to others and the environment of using a motor.

Roads are paid for out of general taxation and are there for everyone's use (bar motorways) - there's no added entitlement for using a car/paying motor tax.

If you're not using it then you're not causing any environmental damage and so aren't expected to pay. Use is allowed on private property, but really just because it would be unenforceable.

The idea that "i pay motor tax, so I'm entitled to do X, Y or Z" is a complete red herring.

I wonder if the people who insist that as long as something is 'legal', then they're 'entitled' to do it, and that's that, are the same people who moan about the 'nanny state'.

It is a pity that Government has to legislate for everything and anything nowadays. But sadly so many people seem unable to use common sense, courtesy and consideration when deciding how to behave. They just consult the rule book, and if there's nothing to say they can't do it, then it must be okay.

With adults taking that childish view, it's no wonder the State has to step in more and more nowadays in taking decisions out of people's hands and making laws against this, that and everything.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Motor tax is there to off-set the cost to others and the environment of using a motor.

Roads are paid for out of general taxation and are there for everyone's use (bar motorways) - there's no added entitlement for using a car/paying motor tax.

If you're not using it then you're not causing any environmental damage and so aren't expected to pay. Use is allowed on private property, but really just because it would be unenforceable.

The idea that "i pay motor tax, so I'm entitled to do X, Y or Z" is a complete red herring.

If you pay for something then you are entitled to something in return, in this case, the use your car on public roads, either in motion or parked (legally of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you don't have a driveway, obviously you have no choice but to leave your car on the road when going on holidays. But you're leaving it on a road where the neighbours know you, know who the car belongs to, and can contact you or a family member if the alarm is going off, the car needs to be moved to allow access to the house for some reason etc.

Totally different from a stranger just leaving their car there for a couple of weeks, with no contact details and no notion of when they'll be coming back and moving it - a week, a month, two months??

If it's a public road, adhering to parking regulations, not blocking a driveway, is properly taxed, insured and NCT'd then there is no legal prohibition on them parking.
    If they choose to leave it there a day or a year, they are entitled to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I still don't understand how a car parked legally, unobstructively is inconsiderate or annoying.

If I walked beside you saying "La la la la la la" continuously while also putting my finger in front of your face saying "I'm not touching you"...you would not be annoyed as it's not illegal to do so!?

You would not consider me an inconsiderate prick for doing it as it's not illegal!?

Understand now??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get one of those tracker things off the interweb and follow them home later on recover your tracker and then park outside their drive.

That'll show them.

Check up on parking rules
    Facing direction of travel. (is this a rule or a guideline )
    Distance from corners, distance from kerb , not on the path.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement