Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside someone's house for days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Fair enough, they're entitled to park but let's face it, they're being arseholes and I'm sure they know it. Most people wouldn't dream of blocking up the outside of a stranger's house for a week or more during the festive period, a time when you're more likely to be having visitors dropping in than any other time of the year.

You just have to box clever and reserve the space somehow if that sort of thing happens on a regular basis. I'm more referring to people being annoyed by 'normal' legal parking outside their houses, as indeed is my own situation on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Parked legally? In a street where it appears there is ample parking available?

First world problem to be honest.
    If you don't like traffic congestion, move out to the third world. (eg Meath/Kildare/Carlow) :D
    And we live in the first world, therefore it's a problem.
    When people say they got the offending car towed away, how did you do this?

Did the towing company just come and pick it up, who paid for the storage etc. etc.

No questions asked as to ownership of the car or anything?
    Interested in this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

The world is full of people that prioritise their own immediate convenience over the general convenience of others, excusing selfishness and ignorance on the grounds of technical legality.

Therefore when I smash the windows of their car, ironically also with little chance of being caught, because I simply choose to and to please myself, they can just be reassured that I'm merely acting towards society in a way that they've explicitly endorsed.

Wait, smashing someone's car windows is technically legal? You seem to be drawing an equivalence between that and parking in a space you're technically allowed to for too long.

Of course you know your post is complete rot. Damaging somebody's car is never acceptable and is a massively knackery thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

circadian wrote: »
    Doesn't happen to be in Beaumont? There's a lot of people leaving cars and hopping on buses around there.

I had someone parked outside my house last Christmas. The car was fully on the pavement with the back end overhanging the driveway. Had it towed.

When the guy got back in January he went ballistic at me.

Curious to know how someone would go mad at you for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    Wait, smashing someone's car windows is technically legal? You seem to be drawing an equivalence between that and parking in a space you're technically allowed to for too long

Of course you know your post is complete rot. Damaging somebody's car is never acceptable and is a massively knackery thing to do.

It's illegal but I can do it and most likely get away with it.

That's the nature of the beast really. Doing what you want despite causing inconvenience to others. Be careful for the world you wish for and to which you contribute.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

If he's only mildly irritated she could always do something mildly drastic like sell up and emigrate. Sorted

It's illegal but I can do it and most likely get away with it.

And the other thing is legal. :) Nobody should park in a space for that long out of courtesy but it's just an inconvenience. The other thing is a criminal act and will cost the victim. False equivalence. But you know that. And thankfully you don't seem to have received any support on-thread either. Good. Sense prevails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, it's annoying parking if it's long term, but legal. We've the same carry on in my area sometimes, except idiots sometimes park opposite other cars and leave barely enough room to get past. The bin trucks get blocked occasionally.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Your neighbourhood could petition the council to make it a disk parking area.

Ye, be careful going down this route, sometimes the residents permit require an annual registration fee for the council, and your visitors could get stung also. And if your motor tax goes 1 second out of date the council wardens will fine you.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

False equivalence. But you know that. And thankfully you don't seem to have received any support on-thread either. Good. Sense prevails.

You sound like you're on the verge of giving me 1000 lines.

You sound like you're on the verge of giving me 1000 lines.

Not at all. Just very glad your scumbaggy post did not get any love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It happens a lot outside our house and it makes it difficult to get into the drive. Not much you can do if its just someone leaving a car for a couple of weeks. If it goes more than 3 weeks ring the guards or ring earlier if the tax or insurance is out. The last idiot that tried it the engine was gone in the car, I hope the git got a shock when he got a call from plod.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Just very glad your scumbaggy post did not get any love.

I'll survive.

Somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ScumLord wrote: »

I wouldn't consider the side of the road public parking space.

If you live somewhere and have to park on the road there's nothing that can be done about that, but if you're driving somewhere so you can abandon your car for a week, then **** you. I hope your car get's robbed.

Apt name really.

So what exactly would you consider it? Wait, no that doesn't matter at all. When it comes to the law, your opinion is null and void.
    But I think there's a difference between parking for a few hours outside someone's house, and leaving a car there for a couple of weeks. What if the alarm goes off?

Do whatever you do as if the car was only there for a day.
    Or if someone breaks into it are the residents expected to get involved and contact the guards etc?

Call the guards, or don't call the guards, what has the length of time got to do with this? "I would have called the guards, but the car is there a week" :confused:
    What if, as in my mother's case, she needs to get an oil delivery but doesn't know how long the car will be right outside her house, and if the oil lorry will end up blocking the road while it delivers the oil?

That's just unfortunate really. If the car is not blocking the drive, then there's not a whole lot that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Apt name really.

So what exactly would you consider it?
    Exactly what I called it, abandoning your car. It's just pushing the responsibility onto someone else. If that area becomes known by criminals for cars being abandoned for weeks on end it could just make it a popular spot for car thieves. It's causing obstructions for local residents putting kids in danger as they now have something to hide behind when they want to cross the road.

They deserve whatever happens to their car. They have the option to get a taxi, or get a friend to drop them off, or pay for parking, long term isn't even that bad in Dublin airport. If you're willing to impose yourself on random people for the cheap option then you deserve anything that happens to your car.

People being inconsiderate about how they park their car just gets under my skin. Putting everyone else out because you're too cheap to pay a tenner, or too lazy to park a two minute walk away. It's such a minor thing to do, why can't they just park properly damnit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Exactly what I called it, abandoning your car. It's just pushing the responsibility onto someone else. If that area becomes known by criminals for cars being abandoned for weeks on end it could just make it a popular spot for car thieves. It's causing obstructions for local residents putting kids in danger as they now have something to hide behind when they want to cross the road.

They deserve whatever happens to their car. They have the option to get a taxi, or get a friend to drop them off, or pay for parking, long term isn't even that bad in Dublin airport. If you're willing to impose yourself on random people for the cheap option then you deserve anything that happens to your car.

People being inconsiderate about how they park their car just gets under my skin. Putting everyone else out because you're too cheap to pay a tenner, or too lazy to park a two minute walk away. It's such a minor thing to do, why can't they just park properly damnit!

What should happen to their car?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's not illegal but it's just being a bit of an arsehole by taking the cheap option and having no consideration for the people you're imposing your car on for a week or two.

What should happen to their car?
    At the moment all that can be done is hope that Karma strikes. There should be a law that a car abandoned somewhere can be towed, Ijust don't know how you'd distinguish which cars should be allowed.

A lot of this is down to planners, regulators and builders putting as little thought as possible into building estates, roads and comercial areas. There should be parking included in every development including additional parking for day to day (visitors, workers) and then it should be borderline impossible for someone to just pull up at the side of the road.

Like in all reality no car should be allowed to park on a street inside the city of Cork, the roads just can't handle it.

At the moment all that can be done is hope that Karma strikes. There should be a law that a car abandoned somewhere can be towed, Ijust don't know how you'd distinguish which cars should be allowed.

A lot of this is down to planners, regulators and builders putting as little thought as possible into building estates, roads and comercial areas. There should be parking included in every development including additional parking for day to day (visitors, workers) and then it should be borderline impossible for someone to just pull up at the side of the road.

Like in all reality no car should be allowed to park on a street inside the city of Cork, the roads just can't handle it.

Until you can distinguish abandoned cars then the person is doing nothing illegal. Even then, defining 'abandoned' would be tricky.

I wouldn't agree about Cork. For instance, the South Mall has ample width to allow for parking. Also, many streets in cities were planned long before people realised how many cars would use the streets. The horse has bolted as far as cities are concerned unless you are talking about relatively modern suburbs/commercial estates.

I wouldn't agree about Cork. For instance, the South Mall has ample width to allow for parking. Also, many streets in cities were planned long before people realised how many cars would use the streets.
    You couldn't fit an ass and cart down half the streets in the centre of Cork. The whole lot should be pedestrianised, although in fairness they're making traveling by car in Cork so infuriating that you'd walk naked in the snow rather than drive through town.

• Advertisement

You couldn't fit an ass and cart down half the streets in the centre of Cork. The whole lot should be pedestrianised, although in fairness they're making traveling by car in Cork so infuriating that you'd walk naked in the snow rather than drive through town.

I think they're pushing to get people out of cars and on to bikes. Most roads around Cork were already narrow enough without putting cycle lanes on them. Doubt if they'll pedestrianise the centre as traders would object. Plus, to be fair, there's ample multi-storey parking.

I think they're pushing to get people out of cars and on to bikes. Most roads around Cork were already narrow enough without putting cycle lanes on them. Doubt if they'll pedestrianise the centre as traders would object. Plus, to be fair, there's ample multi-storey parking.
    Don't get me wrong, this year was my first time having a proper visit to Cork and I loved the place. But getting there from Galway and driving around the city, trying to park was infuriating. There are parts of the city that they should just say no to cars and try something else.

Don't get me wrong, this year was my first time having a proper visit to Cork and I loved the place. But getting there from Galway and driving around the city, trying to park was infuriating. There are parts of the city that they should just say no to cars and try something else.

Yeah it's a disaster unless you know your way around as it's essentially a one-way system. It's actually not too bad once you know the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Public road without any parking restrictions? Nothing you can do.

People seem to have this weird idea that they own the road space outside their own property.

I've seen neighbours nearly come to blows over arguments about the space outside their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I just needed somewhere to park OP, give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I know. Clearly the space belongs to some lad off to Spain for two weeks who's too mean to pay for parking at the airport.

If he has up to date motor tax he's as entitled to park there as the oul one in the gaff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

I can feel the OPs frustrations. Regardless of entitlement it's downright selfish and thoughtless to abandon ship outside someone's home for a prolonged period of time. Some people have no disregard for others and I can guarantee most wouldn't be overly inpressed with this situation were the shoe on the other foot. What is wrong with people that they see it apprioate to do such things and all to save a couple of euro on parking. Mild annoyance or not it's still an annoyance. How do these people know that particular household doesn't need said parking space. Or their neighbours for that matter.

Not really. My mum wants to arrange a time for the oil delivery, but can't because she doesn't know how long the car will be there. If she had organised it for this morning she would have kept an eye out and gone out and explained to anyone parking there that she was expecting an oil lorry and it would need access so would they mind parking somewhere else.

If a neighbour's alarm is going off and they're away someone will usually have a number to contact them.

It's the fact that cars are sometimes left there for long and indefinite periods, with no way of contacting the owners, that's the problem.

That's for your mother to sort out. It's not the car owners problem.

What a pathetic attitude

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's not illegal but it's just being a bit of an arsehole by taking the cheap option and having no consideration for the people you're imposing your car on for a week or two.

Motor tax isn't cheap. May as well utilise it as much as possible. Get value for your money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement