Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside someone's house for days

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm a bit late to the party on this one :p
    But I wouldn't care if someone parked on the street outside my house as long they didn't block the drive way. But I guess seeing as how it's Christmas, by parking a car and leaving it there for days would block family members parking outside (coming over for Christmas dinner etc) that would annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Don't you get it? Someone too mean to pay for the airport carpark decides to park on a public road for a few weeks. There's a big differnce to parking for a few hours to do shopping and parking for a few weeks ;)

No, the thing is I do get it. There's nothing illegal about it so, in the eyes of parking regulation, there is NO difference between a few hours and a few weeks. People thinking it's cheeky or stingy is of no consequence at all.
    So, are you saying they can park a car there for an unlimited amount of time no matter what the situation?

Absolutely. If it's a legal, free parking zone, that doesn't change after an indeterminate amount of time, based on what some random people on the internet think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

So, are you saying they can park a car there for an unlimited amount of time no matter what the situation?

I think we've found someone else who thinks they own the roadway outside their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,639 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So, explain the legal requikrments?

No yellow lines. Central white lines not continuous, correct distance from kerb, junction etc. No posted parking conditions or regulations. Basic rules of the road stuff.
    Interesting point - I wonder how many cars are parked with 5m of a junction - which is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm here in the USA for many years so I'm a little out of touch.
    Here in Seattle if a car has been in the same spot for over five days it's liable for a ticket. Someone would have to report it, then the parking people would come by a mark a tire with chalk, then they'll come back the next day and ticket it.
    Seems reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'm here in the USA for many years so I'm a little out of touch.
    Here in Seattle if a car has been in the same spot for over five days it's liable for a ticket. Someone would have to report it, then the parking people would come by a mark a tire with chalk, then they'll come back the next day and ticket it.
    Seems reasonable.

That's lovely. And grand if the law was such here but it isn't. So the point is moot.

Though, if it were legal for only 5 days, the same people would still be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

smash the drivers side window, jam a screw driver in for a key and then report it as a stolen car dumped outside of your mothers house, the cops will come along and take it away for you

montyrebel wrote: »
    smash the drivers side window, jam a screw driver in for a key and then report it as a stolen car dumped outside of your mothers house, the cops will come along and take it away for you

Here we go again......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Some amount of thugs here on After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭blackwhite

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Can I ask what you did about this?? What an outrageously ignorant thing to do!

Although perhaps it's a little more 'acceptable' down the country. I have a vague memory of a Dub and Countrywoman arguing on Joe Duffy a few years back because she had parked her car randomly in someone's driveway while attending a match in Croke Park and the person had locked their gate and effectively impounded the car.

The woman was absolutely incredulous that anyone would find a problem with what she had done and couldn't believe every single caller who rang in wasn't on her side.

I used to live in a apartment block near the Burlington.

When Dublin won the All-Ireland in 2011 (think it was that year anyway), the post game reception was in the hotel beside us. Got up to head to work the following morning for find some c*nt had abandoned his car in the car park entrance, blocking in more than 50 cars.
    There was already 20 or so people waiting to get out by the time I'd gone to leave, and the wing mirrors had already been smashed (whether by disgruntled residents or drunken revellers exiting the hotel during the night wasn't clear). Someone had already called the council, and the car was being loaded onto a tow truck when the c*nt arrived to collect it.
    He started roaring abuse at the residents for "ratting" him out to the council.

The lesson being, there's ignorant c*nts from both the city and the country. But neither are as bad as someone who admits listening to Joe Duffy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Years ago, when I was working in London, people would paste a big paper notice on the windscreen. It would say something like the local residents would really appreciate your cooperation in considerate parking.

It would be a nightmare to remove & you would see cars with bits still on days later. The funny part is that they would have to scrape a hole before they could drive off.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wildgreen

It is illegal to block a driveway. If a driveway is wide enough for the length of a vehicle then by default no one can park outside that house. So if the problem is bad enough and your garden big enough, you have a solution!

wildgreen wrote: »
    It is illegal to block a driveway. If a driveway is wide enough for the length of a vehicle then by default no one can park outside that house. So if the problem is bad enough and your garden big enough, you have a solution!

Parking on the road in front of a house with no wall or gates and, potentially, a driveway the width of the house /site is not blocking the driveway, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Discodog wrote: »
    people would paste a big paper notice on the windscreen. It would say something like the local residents would really appreciate your cooperation in considerate parking.

It would be a nightmare to remove

Need a bottle of nail polish remover in your glove box. Takes the stickers off quick, fast. Angle Grinder in the boot for the clamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Boo Hoo. There's a reason some roads have double yellows and some don't. It's a designated public space.
    But not a designated parking space?

the space out side my home is my personal bird table
    If a car ever parks outside for more than a day then it would be used as the bird table and covered with bird seed daily...........

Last I checked its not illegal to feed birds even if i am being a cúnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

micks wrote: »
    If I'm just walking along the road swinging a hurley for practice, and if there happens to be a car light in the way of my swing...sure it's not illegal to practice hurling is it?

osarusan wrote: »
    If I'm just walking along the road swinging a hurley for practice, and if there happens to be a car light in the way of my swing...sure it's not illegal to practice hurling is it?
    Bye laws do often prohibit ball games - so it would depend on location

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bye laws do often prohibit ball games - so it would depend on location

True, mind you feeding birds is sometimes prohibited as well. And osarusan never mentioned a ball. :pac:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/dublin-pensioners-told-they-may-be-fined-if-they-feed-the-birds-near-their-home-30995259.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If a car ever parks outside for more than a day then it would be used as the bird table and covered with bird seed daily...........

It's not your bird table though, it's not a table at all and you thrown seed on it youd be liable for the wear on the paint, same as if you threw paint on it. Criminal damage. It's illegal to wreck someone's car with birdseed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If the path I'm walking along is my personal path, and your house is my lake, I can just skim a stone towards your door?? Or is you analogy sh1t??

• Advertisement

If the path I'm walking along is my personal path, and your house is my lake, I can just skim a stone towards your door?? Or is you analogy sh1t??

If it was an analogy - then ye it would be ****
    it wasnt

Its what I'd do if someone parked outside my house and left it there for days/weeks

The bird seed wont damage anything - the birds might

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wildgreen

Parking on the road in front of a house with no wall or gates and, potentially, a driveway the width of the house /site is not blocking the driveway, however.

Blocking a local authority approved driveway is illegal, however!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- This crap has gone on long enough. Bella, If you have an update pm me and I'll add it in here. Till then locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement