Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside someone's house for days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Whack the car up a bit. Even if it's a public space, parking there for weeks is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's actually me who's wondering if posters would do this, particularly when there's parking directly across the road that doesn't involve parking right outside someone's house.

Make a virtue of a necessity. Potential burglars will be put off entering your mother's house as they will assume she has visitors staying with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Can I ask what you did about this?? What an outrageously ignorant thing to do!
    Anyone who lives close to a place that experiences sudden traffic surges, like a stadium, a school or a beach, will have stories about incredibly selfish and ignorant places that people will park.

The correct response when someone parks in or across your driveway is of course to block them in and then go out for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

jon1981 wrote: »
    I'd probably do the same.

Remember that the next time you park on a public road near a train station or Luas or anywhere you don't live ... under your rules you should not park there ;)

I didn't make up any rules champ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

If they're blocking the driveway, if they are designated spots, if it was a disabled space without a disabled parking permit, then I would be doing something about it.

Other than that, it's just tough. I grew up in a house with no garden/driveway, we didn't have a car until I was a teenager, but nowadays my mam and dad both have cars. If someone is parked outside the house in one of "their" spots, they are mildly inconvenienced but they are fully aware that there is nothing they can do as they are only as entitled to park there as the next person is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Public road without any parking restrictions? Nothing you can do.

People seem to have this weird idea that they own the road space outside their own property.

The world is full of people that prioritise their own immediate convenience over the general convenience of others, excusing selfishness and ignorance on the grounds of technical legality.

Therefore when I smash the windows of their car, ironically also with little chance of being caught, because I simply choose to and to please myself, they can just be reassured that I'm merely acting towards society in a way that they've explicitly endorsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

When people say they got the offending car towed away, how did you do this?

Did the towing company just come and pick it up, who paid for the storage etc. etc.

No questions asked as to ownership of the car or anything?

My folks house is 2 minutes from a Dart station, Mon - Fri you're guaranteed to have cars parked outside and some cheekier sods will leave it there for a long weekend.

My dad used to be pretty militant about it leaving notes on the windscreen if they parked too close to our drive, he's eventually realized it was futile, the more you put off the more are ready to come in and take the space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Whack the car up a bit. Even if it's a public space, parking there for weeks is taking the piss.

If the car is taxed etc and not blocking anything or anyone it can be parked there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

my mate lives next to a church in rural(ish) meath
    people at weddings/funeral continually park outside his house and sometimes block his driveway.

once a fella parked in his driveway and my mate went ballistic at him.
    your man retorts" I'd a funeral to go too"
    so that was just fine. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Parked legally? In a street where it appears there is ample parking available?

First world problem to be honest.
    If you don't like traffic congestion, move out to the third world. (eg Meath/Kildare/Carlow) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

When people say they got the offending car towed away, how did you do this?

Did the towing company just come and pick it up, who paid for the storage etc. etc.

No questions asked as to ownership of the car or anything?

I think in the case I described, the police got involved. I'm not sure if the car was properly taxed etc. but it was the alarm going off all night that galvanised the residents into doing something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Motorists pay motor tax for the express purpose of being able to put their car somewhere on a road whether moving, or stopped outside someone's house. Tough if they're parked legally and people don't like it. Between VRT, excise on petrol and motor tax they're entitled to their parking spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

osarusan wrote: »
    Get some fake crime scene yellow tape and string it up around the place.

This would be a great idea. Yellow Police tape around the car. A taped outline of a body on the ground and Caution: Biohazard stickers stuck all over the car. It would be great craic to see their reaction when they got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

This would be a great idea. Yellow Police tape around the car. A taped outline of a body on the ground and Caution: Biohazard stickers stuck all over the car. It would be great craic to see their reaction when they got back.

If someone did that to me, I'd look for revenge.

railer201 wrote: »
    Motorists pay motor tax for the express purpose of being able to put their car somewhere on a road whether moving, or stopped outside someone's house. Tough if they're parked legally and people don't like it. Between VRT, excise on petrol and motor tax they're entitled to their parking spots.

I agree that no one owns the road outside their house, and some people become ridiculously proprietorial about it. But I think there's a difference between parking for a few hours outside someone's house, and leaving a car there for a couple of weeks. What if the alarm goes off? Or if someone breaks into it are the residents expected to get involved and contact the guards etc? What if, as in my mother's case, she needs to get an oil delivery but doesn't know how long the car will be right outside her house, and if the oil lorry will end up blocking the road while it delivers the oil?

It's legal, but it's not always fair or practical.

railer201 wrote: »
    Motorists pay motor tax for the express purpose of being able to put their car somewhere on a road whether moving or stopped outside someone's house. Tough if they're parked legally and people don't like it. Between VRT, excise on petrol and motor tax they're entitled to their parking spots.

Fair enough, they're entitled to park but let's face it, they're being arseholes and I'm sure they know it. Most people wouldn't dream of blocking up the outside of a stranger's house for a week or more during the festive period, a time when you're more likely to be having visitors dropping in than any other time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Actually, my idea was to do it when there are no cars parked there, to keep it free.

If someone did that to me, I'd look for revenge.

Ah, Professor Moriarty, you're always looking for revenge…

osarusan wrote: »
    Actually, my idea was to do it when there are no cars parked there, to keep it free.

Where's the fun in that!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

circadian wrote: »
    Doesn't happen to be in Beaumont? There's a lot of people leaving cars and hopping on buses around there.

I had someone parked outside my house last Christmas. The car was fully on the pavement with the back end overhanging the driveway. Had it towed.

When the guy got back in January he went ballistic at me.

That's fair enough, as it was illegally parked and a hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

WHIP IT! wrote:
    Can I ask what you did about this?? What an outrageously ignorant thing to do!

It's a double drive so I parked behind them and blocked them in and deliberately went visiting friends for the rest of the day/evening.

When I eventually came home there was a timid knock at the door and much apology with a request I please move my car :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

no no lads, everything other than someone dying is a first world problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

It's a double drive so I parked behind them and blocked them in and deliberately went visiting friends for the rest of the day/evening.

When I eventually came home there was a timid knock at the door and much apology with a request I please move my car :-)

Not bad... but I don't think I could be as 'controlled' as that in same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

I agree that no one owns the road outside their house, and some people become ridiculously proprietorial about it. But I think there's a difference between parking for a few hours outside someone's house, and leaving a car there for a couple of weeks. What if the alarm goes off? Or if someone breaks into it are the residents expected to get involved and contact the guards etc? What if, as in my mother's case, she needs to get an oil delivery but doesn't know how long the car will be right outside her house, and if the oil lorry will end up blocking the road while it delivers the oil?

Yes, I agree there, and possibly the best thing would be to get a neighbour to utilise that spot so that it could be freed up when you require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, but plenty of people are tight, they'd rather spend 45 minutes on a Dublin bus with all their luggage than pay for parking.

It's a disgrace Joe. The public - using PUBLIC transport??? What next I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Grab a few lads and pick the ****er up and move it. Problem solved. Or leave a passive aggressive note*.

*You can then photograph yourself doing this in the hope of going viral and can look forward to being posted on TheJuunral.ie, which we all know should be the equivalent of a second Christmas for you and is something every Irishman and Irishwoman aspires to someday.

I thought they only post the same sh*tty drone videos of Wicklow featuring over the top epic movie soundtracks, generic shots and rubbish editing from some chap who thinks he's a legendy videograghper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

But all those things apply even if they're there for a week or a few hours?

They would also apply if I was parked on my own road, and went on holidays.

• Advertisement

But all those things apply even if they're there for a week or a few hours?

They would also apply if I was parked on my own road, and went on holidays.

Not really. My mum wants to arrange a time for the oil delivery, but can't because she doesn't know how long the car will be there. If she had organised it for this morning she would have kept an eye out and gone out and explained to anyone parking there that she was expecting an oil lorry and it would need access so would they mind parking somewhere else.

If a neighbour's alarm is going off and they're away someone will usually have a number to contact them.

It's the fact that cars are sometimes left there for long and indefinite periods, with no way of contacting the owners, that's the problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement