Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside someone's house for days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

SteM wrote: »
    No, but he's allowed to use it. That's why it's called a public space.
    Is there marked parking spaces??

I wouldn't consider the side of the road public parking space. People parking on narrow roads does my head in. Out in the country people have absolutely no consideration for other drivers when the park abandon their cars. I'm just after witnessing someone stop their car in the lane, get out and start doing something in the passenger seat, on a main road. They where literally 20 feet away from somewhere they could have pulled off the road entirely.

If you live somewhere and have to park on the road there's nothing that can be done about that, but if you're driving somewhere so you can abandon your car for a week, then **** you. I hope your car get's robbed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Wait til they come back and go out to them with some random piece of metal/plastic and say to them that you saw it hanging down from the engine under the car so you pulled it off for them. They'll look at you in panic/fright but just wish them a Happy New year and advise them not to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Check the NCT, Tax and insurance discs are valid, other than that leave them as is, they pay their taxes and are entitled to park anywhere it's legal to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Annoying yes...but unfortunately par for the course for anyone living near useful parking. I live near a sports stadium and have come home to find someone has given up looking for a space on the roadside and just parked in my driveway! Some people really don't think of anyone else even when they should - and in the case of legally parking on a public road, they really don't have to consider anyone else's future parking needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

lertsnim wrote: »
    Are airport parking charges gone up? If you can afford a holiday then you can afford parking.
    Yeah, but plenty of people are tight, they'd rather spend 45 minutes on a Dublin bus with all their luggage than pay for parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭SteM

ScumLord wrote: »

I wouldn't consider the side of the road public parking space. People parking on narrow roads does my head in. Out in the country people have absolutely no consideration for other drivers when the park abandon their cars. I'm just after witnessing someone stop their car in the lane, get out and start doing something in the passenger seat, on a main road. They where literally 20 feet away from somewhere they could have pulled off the road entirely.

If you live somewhere and have to park on the road there's nothing that can be done about that, but if you're driving somewhere so you can abandon your car for a week, then **** you. I hope your car get's robbed.

I don't know. Ask the OP but I'd imagine there are not marked parking spaces, otherwise he/she would have said.

People park on outside peoples houses on Rathdown Drive beside Bushy Park every working day of the week. They leave the car there and then get the bus into town, we see them do it. Nothing to say they can't park there all day and night if they want to, whether you want them to or not makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭gifted

1...get some bird seed and put it on the roof and bonnet of the car and watch the birds go to work on the car lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Still perfectly legal though.
    Perfectly legal to get annoyed by it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's a public road with a broken white line and no yellow lines then it is deemed public space in which unrestricted parking is permitted.

The blocking of a rural lane is a different kettle of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Almost as annoying as householders putting their own cones or 'residents only' signs on the public road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I live in an apt building that has it's own car park. But it's next to a University and secondary school. It's always full of cars. For a couple of weeks last year a firm went around posting warning notices on cars saying they'd be clamped. No cars were ever clamped. It's not just parents and university students that park there. Secondary students have cars and park there for the whole day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

The space belongs to every citizen but the driver got there first. I would suggest that the house owner apply to the council to see if they will sell the space to her. Other than that, move on with your life.

She's not sitting at home glaring out at the car all day. She's just mildly irritated that the space will probably be completely taken over for the next week or so. Parking is already difficult on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

She's not sitting at home glaring out at the car all day. She's just mildly irritated that the space will probably be completely taken over for the next week or so. Parking is already difficult on the road.

Well, if she's only mildly irritated then she should move on with her life.

Well, if she's only mildly irritated then she should move on with her life.

You do realise you can get irritated by something, while still having a life?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

See fin it has nct or tax. If nothing the guards and say two people just dropped the car off and quickly moved away from it. Afaik if there's no nct or tax it can be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You do realise you can get irritated by something, while still having a life?

Let me put it simply. If she is mildly irritated then she should forget about it.

Let me put it simply. If she is mildly irritated then she should forget about it.

It's actually me who's wondering if posters would do this, particularly when there's parking directly across the road that doesn't involve parking right outside someone's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

It's actually me who's wondering if posters would do this, particularly when there's parking directly across the road that doesn't involve parking right outside someone's house.

Well if there is parking directly across the road the person in the OP can park in it and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lertsnim wrote: »
    Are airport parking charges gone up? If you can afford a holiday then you can afford parking.

maybe they heard of this attentive lady who likes to keep her eyes on people's cars for them while they're away

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sell the house. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭circadian

My mother lives beside a bus route that goes directly to the airport. Last Christmas someone parked their car outside her house the day before Christmas Eve and didn't come back for it until New Year's Day.

This morning a couple parked outside her gate, took suitcases out of the boot and went across to the bus stop. She reckons they've probably gone away for Christmas and the car will be left there.

I know it's a public road, and they're entitled to do it. But she finds it annoying when the space outside her house is taken over for days on end, particularly at a time of year when she'll have a lot of visitors. I can see her point of view, and just wonder if other people would do this?

There's a blank wall almost opposite her house, and I can't understand why people don't park there first. My mother reckons they feel their car is safer if it's in full view of a house.

Doesn't happen to be in Beaumont? There's a lot of people leaving cars and hopping on buses around there.

I had someone parked outside my house last Christmas. The car was fully on the pavement with the back end overhanging the driveway. Had it towed.

When the guy got back in January he went ballistic at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Bet it was feckin Glen Hansard. Occupying the parking space so he wouldn't have to pay for a spot near Apollo House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Sell the car on done deal

No, it's in Churchtown. Someone around the corner had a car parked outside their house for several days, when the alarm started going. After listening to it all night they got the car towed away. The owners were highly indignant when they got back. Did they seriously expect the residents to listen to it all day and night until the battery ran out?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Tis my field road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

circadian wrote: »
    My mother lives beside a bus route that goes directly to the airport. Last Christmas someone parked their car outside her house the day before Christmas Eve and didn't come back for it until New Year's Day.

This morning a couple parked outside her gate, took suitcases out of the boot and went across to the bus stop. She reckons they've probably gone away for Christmas and the car will be left there.

I know it's a public road, and they're entitled to do it. But she finds it annoying when the space outside her house is taken over for days on end, particularly at a time of year when she'll have a lot of visitors. I can see her point of view, and just wonder if other people would do this?

There's a blank wall almost opposite her house, and I can't understand why people don't park there first. My mother reckons they feel their car is safer if it's in full view of a house.

Doesn't happen to be in Beaumont? There's a lot of people leaving cars and hopping on buses around there.

I had someone parked outside my house last Christmas. The car was fully on the pavement with the back end overhanging the driveway. Had it towed.

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Parents live in close proximity to Beaumont hospital. They constantly had to put up with f*ckers parking their cars across the gate while they went into work for the day, or while they went in to visit someone or for a few days for a procedure. Letting the grandkids play football in the garden and accidentally hitting the mirrors or bodywork seemed to get the message across not to park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Annoying yes...but unfortunately par for the course for anyone living near useful parking. I live near a sports stadium and have come home to find someone has given up looking for a space on the roadside and just parked in my driveway! Some people really don't think of anyone else even when they should - and in the case of legally parking on a public road, they really don't have to consider anyone else's future parking needs.

Can I ask what you did about this?? What an outrageously ignorant thing to do!

Although perhaps it's a little more 'acceptable' down the country. I have a vague memory of a Dub and Countrywoman arguing on Joe Duffy a few years back because she had parked her car randomly in someone's driveway while attending a match in Croke Park and the person had locked their gate and effectively impounded the car.

The woman was absolutely incredulous that anyone would find a problem with what she had done and couldn't believe every single caller who rang in wasn't on her side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭circadian

Good for you.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

circadian wrote: »

Proper order - I've done the same in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement